Being an Android guy since the original Droid (aka Milestone where I'm from), I love the PRIV. The keyboard is great, though I'm still getting used to it. Pulling it out whenever I need to type something that's more than a few words long has already become a habit, as it used to be with the other QWERTY sliders I owned. The rest of the phone is great too, BlackBerry stayed close to stock but added some useful features. I like the Hub, it's the only mail app I use now. I like the Calendar, I like Device Search, I like the rear camera's quality, I love the design and the phone in general. Battery life is great for me, definitely on par with any flagship model I owned before. And despite what you might think when browsing at these forums (or even this very thread), it's not as buggy as my previous flagship phones when it comes to some of the Android basics. E.g. a minor gripe I had about my previous phone is that the VPN icon sometimes disappeared while the connection was still open, but on PRIV it's working perfectly.

However, after using the PRIV some more, I have collected some minor gripes which could probably be resolved by software updates. I'm not sure if the BlackBerry team is aware of them, is interested in fixing them, or how to best get this to them, but as I've seen some roam these forums, here's a first try

In order of significance, from most (= no real workaround possible) to least (= alternatives already available):

1. Slimport behavior on some specific displays
      This is probably a tricky one since it involves inter-device operability, and it's definitely not 100% an issue caused by the PRIV. But I believe it could be solved in the PRIV since I do not have this issue with my other Slimport device.

I was really looking forward to using my PRIV + 128 GB memory card with my portable projector for ad-hoc presentations and for watching movies on hotel ceilings during business trips. So I got a Slimport adapter. Despite owning another Slimport device, I never bothered to get an adapter for it before, but now that I have two devices it makes sense. The PRIV works great on my TV (some 2011 LG model) but on my projector the result was disappointing: there was no audio through the projector, and in landscape mode, the screen did not fill the complete projection area (not even when using e.g. VLC player, which is able to show a different resolution and content via HDMI than what is seen on screen).

For the audio I could just connect a speaker or headset to my phone, which although inefficient (yet another thing to carry) is not my main issue. The portable projector has a limited resolution. That means that by limiting the display to use only 70% of the projection area, I'm also using only 70% of my resolution, rendering some text unreadable which otherwise would have been fine. Also, the effective projection size is smaller, so either I have to move the projector farther away from the screen / wall / ceiling to get the same size image, losing some light strength in the process, or I have to accept that it's smaller and might as well have used a laptop screen or TV which is less impressive and would also get remarks during presentations (because the projector area is clearly visible so the first question is always: "Can't you make it bigger?")

LG TV (2011) Asus S1 projector
      Nexus 7 (2013) Portrait image: full height
      Landscape image: full screen
      Audio transmitted: yes
      Portrait image: full height
      PRIV Portrait image: full height
      Portrait image: full height
      Landscape image: around 66 - 75%
      Audio transmitted: no
      The situation looks a little bit as follows, with the LG TV and PRIV combination working as expected, but the Asus S1 and PRIV combination working as the bottom examples:

Since the issue only occurs in the Asus S1 / PRIV combination, I believe both devices are to 'blame' for this to some extent. The TV works fine with either input device, so the PRIV is not 100% wrong, and other inputs work fine on the Asus S1 so it's not 100% wrong either. However, the Asus S1 has no settings whatsoever for screen area / keystone / etc., so there is nothing I could do on that end and I'm hoping to get it solved in the PRIV instead.

Now my first expectation was that this was somehow related to the fact that the PRIV has a 2560x1440 resolution rather than the more common 1080P or 720P, or due to the fact that it had a higher density image. I'm not sure if that last term is correct, as the 'density' value in Android may technically need to be lower to achieve a higher density on screen, but I noticed that despite having the same resolution, a slightly smaller screen, and the Android buttons as softkeys (= reduces screen area sometimes), the PRIV by default actually fits more content onto its screen than my Note 4 did - which is another thing I love about the PRIV. But it might somehow be related to this issue.

So I started tweaking the resolution and density (DPI) settings of the display. Due to the phone being unrootable, the only way I could do that was via some ADB commands. To my surprise, those commands actually worked. They did mess up my homescreen significantly so it would not be useful in daily use, and the alternative of using ADB to switch display settings requires a laptop/notebook which was just the thing I wanted to avoid needing. Whatever I could find would not be a solution but it might offer some insight.
      I changed it to 1080P (tried both 1080x1920 and 1920x1080, the latter of which is .. weird) - no improvement.
      I changed it to 720P (tried both 720x1280 and 1280x720) - no improvement.
      I changed it to 800P (800x1280 and 1280x800) - no improvement.
      Changing the density settings, either separately or combined with a resolution change, did not affect the result either. Although I should say that I did not reboot the phone after any display setting change.

It looks like the root cause is something else. Maybe it's even a feature in Slimport, as it might try to maintain the displayed screen size between landscape and portrait modes rather than 'zooming in' for landscape mode (although when making the above image sample, I noticed the landscape size IS slightly larger than the portrait size, otherwise the borders would be even larger). The LG could ignore that setting while the Asus does not. I'm not sure on how Slimport works exactly, but as the mobile version of DisplayPort is supposedly offers wider compatibility for output types than MHL does out-of-the-box, and it might be exactly that compatibility that somehow causes this, as I haven't seen these issues with MHL devices including another 1440P phone.

Workaround: For the audio part: use a BT speaker for presentations / shared movie watching, headset for private movie watching. For the video part: None. An alternative may be using Chromecast as that works fine in the projector, but that requires access to the Wifi network and for most purposes the internet as well, which is not always possible. Also, bringing the Chromecast and a portable router along on travels is yet more stuff to bring along (or to forget at home ).
      Solution: Somehow make this work the same way it does in the Nexus 7 (2013)? Or add some output options in the settings to 'imitate' a regular 1080P signal to the HDMI output only? I've seen that on some other devices, they let you configure which resolution to send to the display, although that would require some processing and thus introduce some lag.
      _
    2. Some keyboard gestures are great, others are disruptive. Also: focus issues and missing characters.
      I love the touchpad for scrolling. It feels cool, looks cool, is less intrusive if you're showing something to a friend (no thumbs on the screen), and reduces the risk of accidentally clicking stuff.

However I do not like the other gestures that are actually more typing-related. Or rather, the fact that I trigger them unintentionally. Often times I end up accidentally deleting a word while typing, simply because it registers my fingers moving as a swipe to the left. Or I end up repositioning the cursor after inserting it by touch (to insert a word somewhere), causing the new text to end up at the wrong location. In both cases I often don't see the unexpected results until just before or (worse) just after sending it. While this is no doubt in part due to my typing style, it would be nice if those gestures could be disabled selectively, as I don't use them anyway.

Unfortunately, you can only enable/disable all gestures at once, there is no distinction between the two. Disabling the gestures that disrupt my typing, despite their best intentions, means also disabling the awesome scrolling gestures.

Another issue is focus. In some apps, I'm used to the focus being in a certain textbox when you start the app or open a dialog (ie. that's where the soft keyboard would usually appear when you start the app). I can't give a clear example since I don't have my old phone around right now to verify it, and it also does not seem to occur consistently on the PRIV. When the keyboard is already out, sometimes the textbox which usually receives focus does not get that focus. That has two negative effects: I'm typing 'in the air', so have to retype afterwards, and, well, it's hard to avoid some letters while typing, such as the T, which will scroll to the top of the page. In some chat applications, that's a few years back and will take a while to load. So typing 'thank you' without having focus causes some apps to appear to go 'haywire'.

Sometimes, double characters don't show up. Not sure if that's related to the pressure threshold on the keys or something with the keyboard buffer. Since it also happens in test cases where I try to keep the pressure the same, and is usually accompanied by some miniscule lag in its response, I'm guessing it's more of a keyboard buffer or thread priority thing.

Workaround: Typing more slowly and deliberately, which means I might as well stick to using a software keyboard.
      Solution: Allowing enabling/disabling of typing gestures and scrolling gestures separately. Not clear for the focus and missing character issue, but I read somewhere here that at least that last item is already under investigation.
      _
    3. Shutter lag and preview/result discrepancy
      The shutter lag (in some lighting conditions) is one thing, if I really need to take an action shot I can just use some other camera app which has a burst mode. However when I do use the BlackBerry Camera itself, which is still my preferred camera app, the thing that usually gets me is the preview that you get right after taking a picture. Or, it seems, right before the picture is actually being taken. Because when I press the shutter, see the preview picture that pop-up, which is showing the shot I wanted to take, I generally put away the phone. And that's when it actually takes the shot, it seems. Since that all happens within a second, including me putting the phone away after seeing the preview, around half of my shots end up being blurry.

Edit: Update thanks to BB10_fan1 - the BlackBerry Camera does have a built-in burst mode when holding the shutter button. This can be used to work around the shutter lag and comes in handy when taking action shots in general.

Workaround: Use burst mode to compensate for shutter lag, and/or use a third-party camera app in which the preview matches the actual picture. Camera MX has an interesting 'before-the-shot' feature (forgot the actual name) that allows you to select a picture taken just before the actual shot, but that's just a 1080P framegrab from the videostream, so much lower quality.
      Solution: I think this is being worked on already and I don't know enough about camera firmware to offer any useful suggestions. Most important to me is that the preview matches the picture that is actually taken, otherwise it's misleading and somehow I still trust it too much
      _
    4. Swapped stereo audio on video recordings
      When recording video horizontally, the stereo sound is always swapped. It does not matter whether I start recording with the phone's power button pointing down or the power button pointing up, both orientations record the left sound to the right (well, wrong) channel, and the right sound to the left channel.

Workaround: Two options, both of which require a video editor - either swap the stereo channels afterwards, or start recording a video regularly, then rotate the phone 180 degrees and continue recording. The audio will be correct from that moment onwards, but most of the video will be upside down so you'll have to rotate that back. And cut off the first part. A bit more cumbersome but still, some video editors are limited in audio processing but do have image rotation options, and in those cases this would actually be easier to accomplish.
      Solution: Swap stereo during recording. There must be some logic in there already, since no matter how I hold the phone horizontally, left is right and right is left. The physical microphone positions do not change, and when recording audio left = bottom mic, right = top mic, regardless of orientation. So in one of those cases the video recorder is already swapping stereo. It's just the wrong case. Maybe toggling one boolean value could already fix this, who knows

Despite what this list may imply, I'm really really happy with the PRIV. The BlackBerry team have had to develop all of these apps mostly from scratch, learn how to deal with a new OS and all of its possibilities and - more importantly - limitations, and they did a great job so far. One may argue they released the phone too soon, but I do not agree. Having post-release software patches is a sign of the times, and although it can be frustrating, it is also an opportunity. You don't need to return the phone to get a software issue fixed, just keep using it and wait for an update. If they waited even longer with the release, the phone's hardware would have been outdated already, resulting in other complaints from customers or a hardware revision that would in turn require some firmware/software revisions.

I'm sure future updates will make this great phone even better, and I'm just hoping some of these items will be addressed in one of those updates
    Last edited by Myedvyed; 11-29-15 at 02:26 PM.
    11-29-15 06:28 AM
    Dude, nice write up!

I would suggest you copy and paste this to the official BlackBerry support forum where those guys have to address. Here is more or less a hit and miss. They don't have obligation to address anything comes up here.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-29-15 08:15 AM
    I also wonder if you hold the soft button down for the camera if it turns it into burst mode automatically. I believe I read that in the forums somewhere. I don't have the pleasure of owning a PRIV so cannot try myself.
    I appreciate the details of your write-up and hope you find the right channel so BlackBerry can address.
    Here's to more updates and an even better experience.

Posted via CB10
    Myedvyed likes this.
    11-29-15 08:45 AM
    Dude, nice write up!

I would suggest you copy and paste this to the official BlackBerry support forum where those guys have to address. Here is more or less a hit and miss. They don't have obligation to address anything comes up here.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    Thank you, I think I will do just that!

I also wonder if you hold the soft button down for the camera if it turns it into burst mode automatically. I believe I read that in the forums somewhere. I don't have the pleasure of owning a PRIV so cannot try myself.
    I appreciate the details of your write-up and hope you find the right channel so BlackBerry can address.
    Here's to more updates and an even better experience.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you and good call, it does actually have a built-in burst mode if you long-press the shutter button, somehow I did not try that out despite it actually being a common design!
    Let me update the post a bit to reflect that
    p800ch, BigAl_BB9900 and aha like this.
    11-29-15 08:55 AM
    Uhm... I.. need to go out... overwhelmed with what I've read. X.x

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 08:59 AM
    By changing resolutions to 1920 x 1080 means you effectively turn off half of the pixels (because of the amoled screen. A couple of questions:

1) Did you notice an improvement in battery life?

2) You'd effectively have redundant pixels. If you were to, say, turn off half the pixels for a couple of years, and the inevitable colour shift happens (because blue LEDs die faster), could you turn on the second set of pixels and turn off the first set? This could be potentially double your screen life if you were willing to tolerate half screen resolution.

Thanks!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-29-15 09:20 AM
    By changing resolutions to 1920 x 1080 means you effectively turn off half of the pixels (because of the amoled screen. A couple of questions:

1) Did you notice an improvement in battery life?

2) You'd effectively have redundant pixels. If you were to, say, turn off half the pixels for a couple of years, and the inevitable colour shift happens (because blue LEDs die faster), could you turn on the second set of pixels and turn off the first set? This could be potentially double your screen life if you were willing to tolerate half screen resolution.

Thanks!

The other video modes didn't fix my problem and I disliked using them (at least without a corrected density value which I couldn't be bothered to calculate) so I can't say anything about its effect on battery life unfortunately.

If I set the resolution to 1080x1920 (1080 portrait), it still uses all of the pixels in the AMOLED display. It simply scales up the 1080P image to 1440P. Also my icons and text become too large, which could be fixed by altering the density value, but since I was only interested in my original problem I did not do that. However, despite using all pixels, it could still save some battery on processing as the GPU would have less work to do (especially in games). But I think that the effect would be barely noticeable in daily life, unless you use it for gaming a lot.

However, if I set the resolution to 1920x1080 (1080 landscape), it does show only a small widescreen section of the screen in the center of the display when in portrait mode, effectively turning off maybe 80% of the pixels on the PRIV. While theoretically that would save some battery, I can't work with it because it's so tiny :P

It looks like as long as you select a 16:9 resolution, it will either stretch up (so there's no power benefit for the display), or it will be a small thumbnail (which is unusable). Selecting a 4:3 resolution is a better option, it results in having some black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, but still enough usable screen surface. But since the launcher was designed with a 16:9 device in mind, you won't be able to make it look exactly as it normally would, best case things will still be a bit squished in vertical direction. Using 1080x1440 with a density of 380 is the closest I got to something normal-looking in 4:3. Default is 1440x2560 with 560 density.

There's a reason this functionality is not easily accessible, it can really mess up the system. E.g. when playing around with the density values, I suddenly got the expanded BlackBerry software keyboard (ie. including a world-button and an emoji-button) in portrait mode, because it thought it was being displayed on a larger device. Nice? Perhaps, if you have small fingers. But whenever I opened or closed my physical keyboard, BlackBerry Keyboard would crash. Who'd expect a change in DPI would cause a keyboard to crash? So I'm just sticking with the original settings
    11-29-15 10:01 AM
    5. For your selfie problem.

While the volume side buttons can't work to capture a picture, the space bar on the keyboard certainly does. just slide up and use the space bar button for both the front facing camera or rear facing camera. Works out better than using the volume buttons I find since you might alter the angle of the shot trying to reach the side volume buttons.

00stryder and Myedvyed like this.
    11-29-15 10:07 AM
    While the volume side buttons can't work to capture a picture, the space bar on the keyboard certainly does.
    That's awesome, thanks! Will definitely use that. Somehow I feel like such a n00b when it comes to the camera app now
    11-29-15 10:14 AM
    Great write-up, very informative and well-thought-out. Wish I had a Priv to test out some of these issues but I agree that the BlackBerry Android dev team seems to be on the ball with quick software updates. I really appreciate their decision to include apps in the Play Store so as to facilitate speedy updates vs. waiting for full OS updates.

Posted via CB10
    Myedvyed likes this.
    11-29-15 10:21 AM
    You can turn of keyboard gestures in the settings too, settings, language and input, advanced, turn of gestures.
    11-29-15 10:30 AM
    I really appreciate their decision to include apps in the Play Store so as to facilitate speedy updates vs. waiting for full OS updates.
    Definitely, that was a great call on their part. No separate bloatware app store (e.g. Samsung) or updater (e.g. Sony) needed, just doing things the clean way.

You can turn of keyboard gestures in the settings too, settings, language and input, advanced, turn of gestures.
    True, that's what I tried at first, but that also disables the scrolling gestures unfortunately. Preferably I want to keep the scrolling gestures while getting rid of the other ones, and for now they seem to be tied together Of course, for someone who does not mind losing the scrolling gestures, it's great that this option is already in there!
    00stryder likes this.
    11-29-15 10:33 AM
    Which other ones you want to disable?
    11-29-15 10:59 AM
    I'd mainly like to disable the swipe from right-to-left to delete the last word, and the cursor movement when no text is selected (so just moving around).

Somehow they interfere with my typing style (or vice versa) by being 'too' responsive, which means they either remove text that I don't want to be removed, or move the cursor to the wrong location after I selected a location on the display by touch, causing me to insert text in the wrong part of the message. Since I don't actually intend to use them, disabling them would prevent them from accidentally messing up my messages. Or me having to re-learn how to type

I have no issues with the other swipe (to show the symbols page) since even if triggered accidentally, it doesn't alter the message. Although don't use that option either, I just use the Alt or Sym button for that, depending on what page the symbol is in. So basically all of the text editing gestures I'd prefer to disable since I don't use them and some of them hamper my productivity instead of increasing it. The scrolling gestures (when not in a text field) I do love and wish to keep.
    11-29-15 11:41 AM
    The other video modes didn't fix my problem and I disliked using them (at least without a corrected density value which I couldn't be bothered to calculate) so I can't say anything about its effect on battery life unfortunately.

If I set the resolution to 1080x1920 (1080 portrait), it still uses all of the pixels in the AMOLED display. It simply scales up the 1080P image to 1440P. Also my icons and text become too large, which could be fixed by altering the density value, but since I was only interested in my original problem I did not do that. However, despite using all pixels, it could still save some battery on processing as the GPU would have less work to do (especially in games). But I think that the effect would be barely noticeable in daily life, unless you use it for gaming a lot.

However, if I set the resolution to 1920x1080 (1080 landscape), it does show only a small widescreen section of the screen in the center of the display when in portrait mode, effectively turning off maybe 80% of the pixels on the PRIV. While theoretically that would save some battery, I can't work with it because it's so tiny :P

It looks like as long as you select a 16:9 resolution, it will either stretch up (so there's no power benefit for the display), or it will be a small thumbnail (which is unusable). Selecting a 4:3 resolution is a better option, it results in having some black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, but still enough usable screen surface. But since the launcher was designed with a 16:9 device in mind, you won't be able to make it look exactly as it normally would, best case things will still be a bit squished in vertical direction. Using 1080x1440 with a density of 380 is the closest I got to something normal-looking in 4:3. Default is 1440x2560 with 560 density.

There's a reason this functionality is not easily accessible, it can really mess up the system. E.g. when playing around with the density values, I suddenly got the expanded BlackBerry software keyboard (ie. including a world-button and an emoji-button) in portrait mode, because it thought it was being displayed on a larger device. Nice? Perhaps, if you have small fingers. But whenever I opened or closed my physical keyboard, BlackBerry Keyboard would crash. Who'd expect a change in DPI would cause a keyboard to crash? So I'm just sticking with the original settings
    That's too bad. I was hoping for some way of preventing colour shift on amoled screens (or at least delaying it)!

11-29-15 12:19 PM
    I don't know about you guys, but I CAN take a picture by pressing the volume down button while in the camera App.

Myedvyed and 00stryder like this.
    11-29-15 02:20 PM
    I don't know about you guys, but I CAN take a picture by pressing the volume down button while in the camera App.
    I just tried it again and.. you're right! No idea why it did not work before, I updated the Camera app on the first day and not since. Maybe I was not pressing hard enough or it was some other weird fluke. Thanks for making me check again!

Both volume up and down work so I'm just removing that item from my list altogether.

Edit: I just figured out why it was not working for me before. When playing a video using Chromecast (at least using Videostream), somehow the volume buttons become way less responsive for the camera. Most likely because Chromecast is hooking into them as well for the Chromecast volume. Only one in four or five tries seems to do something for the Camera app, and only when holding it for a while. Whereas when not connected to Chromecast it works just fine. Interestingly, it doesn't actually control the Chromecast volume while the Camera app is active, the volume button pushes just disappear into the big Android void somewhere
    Last edited by Myedvyed; 11-29-15 at 04:19 PM.
    11-29-15 02:25 PM
    Thanks for the detailed post... wish others would put this level of thought and effort into researching problems before flooding the board with complaints.

Regarding the Slimport issue, I have also found this behavior exhibits on my Passport through my home Epson projector (larger unit than your Asus portable) It seems that the projectors don't handle scaling as well as televisions do, I have the reduced size (1:1) for any orientation of the Passport. Works fine on the Samsung smart TVs here at the office, I can change size on the TV menu.

Not a fan of Slimport in general, *another* separate dongle/cable to carry and you still have to plug HDMI into it. Found lots of complaints with adapters failing as well. Never an issue with the micro-regular HDMI cable I've carried for years for PlayBook and Z10 presentations. Plus I can redirect the audio output for HDMI to either Bluetooth or through the PlayBook or Z10 speaker.
    11-30-15 10:56 AM
    Myedvyed - thanks for posting such detailed report. I hope BlackBerry staff is working on this and contacting you via PM to become their beta tester and post bug reports to them.
    11-30-15 03:54 PM
    Thanks for the detailed post... wish others would put this level of thought and effort into researching problems before flooding the board with complaints.
    You're welcome! I try to avoid bothering other people with my problems, but if I can't then at least I'll try to describe the problem in detail, as well as the steps I tried so far. Actually because of that, sometimes while writing I realize the cause already

Regarding the Slimport issue, I have also found this behavior exhibits on my Passport through my home Epson projector (larger unit than your Asus portable)
    Interesting, I've had issues with the sound not working before even via HDMI (with my W8.1 laptop), but never seen another device that exhibited this behavior. Then again it's only the second Slimport device that I tried. Maybe it has something to do with the type of Slimport controller BB uses, or the firmware version they apply?

I'm still partial to having separate micro-HDMI + micro-USB connectors instead of Slimport or MHL, since that allows for easy video output + OTG keyboard / mouse / etc. at the same time. Actually Samsung's proprietary 11-pin version of MHL allows for that as well, but you need some special adapters/dock, it breaks compatibility with regular MHL so you need yet another adapter for that as well. Oh, and not every Samsung phone has it, only some of the models, to make things even more opaque. Ugh!

Myedvyed - thanks for posting such detailed report. I hope BlackBerry staff is working on this and contacting you via PM to become their beta tester and post bug reports to them.
    Thanks! I hope so too, but no PM yet. Wouldn't mind being a beta tester There's some more minor bugs that I found, especially with the keyboard, but they are easily dismissed / worked around so I didn't do a write-up of them yet
    12-01-15 07:10 AM