Is the Priv known for poor signal strength?

Compared to an LG G2 (same network provider), Priv's signal strength at home is consistently -110dBm while the LG G2 is -73dBm.

Normal? Or do I have a hardware issue?
    07-22-17 12:19 AM
    I think, it is one of those phone that captures signal reception like no other. Only other BlackBerry phones powered by Paratek antenna like Classic, Passport and Z30 are it's equals. Secondly, it shows true signal strengths unlike lot other phones where signal strengths are always exaggerated. One bar of LTE is enough for me to make a crystal clear VoLTE call on Priv. I can't comment on LG phones as I've never used one.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    07-22-17 12:41 AM
    Something interesting going on with the software...

I tried making 5 calls from my Priv to my LG G2 and everytime I do, the signal improves. It goes from around -110dBm to around -85dBm.

Something that I noticed with my Priv that I never experienced with my Passport previously is that there have been several times when I try making outbound calls from home, it won't connect and I have to hang up and redial.
    07-22-17 01:09 AM
    Reception issues can't be diagnosed that quickly, there is a lot as to what is affecting your signal strength, you'd have to start running some diagnostics just to begin to diagnose the problem.

I haven't noticed poor reception on the Priv, at least it hasn't been drastically different from my other devices such as the Z10 and Q10.
    07-22-17 07:47 AM
    The proof is in what it does, it runs circles around all the iPhones on same carrier. And I've yet to have it fail to make and maintain connection when anybody else's phone could do the same, (same carrier) and often will do so when some others can't.
    And definitely don't try to compare the 'signal bars' to anything else. The rest of them are inflated and exaggerated to give the owner a good feeling, but they fall flat at 2 bars or less. The Priv consistently makes pretty decent calls at 1 bar, and most of the time acceptable calls at 0 bars.
    07-22-17 08:23 AM
    I've had a PRIV for almost two years. Just got a KeyOne (couldn't resist even though I didn't need it). Here's my story about reception:

Have always been on Telus but recently changed to Rogers (got a good plan with them). Made a trip to southern Saskatchewan, where, as some people might know, is one of the few places in N.A. where Rogers has limtited roaming coverage due to political reasons.

Had both phones with me and ended up transferring the SIM card to the PRIV and used it all the time. The Priv's reception was much better. Never lost it and almost always had full bars. The KeyOne's reception was spotty and many times unusable in exactly the same locations. Admittedly there are few circumstances like this when it would matter but it was the perfect test for both phones.

Still love both of them.
    07-22-17 09:16 AM
    As others have noted above, no the PRIV isn't known for poor signal strength. In fact, it has an industry leading antenna and or software. The phone locks on to a signal, when others aren't even seeing towers. I am the only one in my group with signal every time we go camping. That is on AT&T vs others on the same network.

You will not find a better phone in this area. Don't pay attention to the numbers. As others have stated,it seems to report true (usable) signal, and not the portion of the signal that is degraded.
    07-22-17 10:15 AM
    When switched to the Priv, I thought it was strange that the signal bars are lower. But then I started noticing I would sometimes drop signal in parkades which wasn't the case before with my Passport.

I took out my Passport to compare the signal strength and it's consistently better than the Priv by about 15dBm. Tested by swapping my sim card back and forth a couple times.
    07-25-17 04:06 PM
    Tested by swapping my sim card back and forth a couple times.
    Now thats a test thats hard to argue with!
    07-26-17 09:51 AM