I just received my Priv and I have some setup questions:

1) When turning it on the first time, are you required to setup "activate" a google account? Can this be done later?

2) Just to clarify, Factory Reset Protection (FRP), is only enabled when you "activate" a google account; correct?

3) I don't want to update the OS to Marshmallow for a while as I want to try the phone out first. I'm concerned that if I update the OS and I decide to return the device, the retailer will give me a hard time. If I need to return the device I want to have the ability to set it back to factory default as I received it. Is this a valid concern?

Note: I have a Google account but I don't really use it often. I do not want to check my Gmail. Also, I have no experience with Android.

Thanks in advance!
    01-25-17 03:43 PM
    I just received my Priv and I have some setup questions:

1) When turning it on the first time, are you required to setup "activate" a google account? Can this be done later?

2) Just to clarify, Factory Reset Protection (FRP), is only enabled when you "activate" a google account; correct?

3) I don't want to update the OS to Marshmallow for a while as I want to try the phone out first. I'm concerned that if I update the OS and I decide to return the device, the retailer will give me a hard time. If I need to return the device I want to have the ability to set it back to factory default as I received it. Is this a valid concern?

Note: I have a Google account but I don't really use it often. I do not want to check my Gmail. Also, I have no experience with Android.

Thanks in advance!
    Welcome back to the Priv.

I think you can skip the Google Stuff but it should offer that option - "SKIP!" somewhere in the routine, I'd think.

You need, well, almost need a google account to download apps, whether free or pay. There are 3rd party sites that have apps and Amazon has apps but then you have to toggle a switch to allow installation of non-Google Playstore apps.

Well, I did have a gmail account and finally purchased a Samsung tablet a while ago so had some experience. What device(s) are you coming from? Android is not terrible and there's lots of apps. I wish google weren't so intrusive.

I would update to MM since that does offer some battery savings over Lollipop. Also, I don't know if you can get latest Security Updates apart from the newer OS. Where did you purchase it? I don't think the OS level would affect returning it.

Reading on the web, I believe that you need to secure it with a GoogleID to have the Factory Reset Protection. Whoever acquires the phone would need to know the original account/id to wipe it and start from scratch. Without that info, the phone will be useless. It sounds as if you can disable it in advance, if you sell the phone. But a temporary password change won't help for a period of time.

Others probably will have more info.
    01-25-17 03:58 PM
    M will have no effect if you need to return the device because you should do a factory reset before returning it anyway.

If you do not set up a google account you won't be able to use device manager either, which is similar to BlackBerry protect in that you can locate your phone, lock it, or factory reset it from another device.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    01-25-17 04:10 PM
    You could set up a throwaway Google account for the setup and for apps.
    01-25-17 09:33 PM
    You could set up a throwaway Google account for the setup and for apps.
    This. I use my google account for nothing more than just to do the things I can do on android. I actually have gmail disabled on my priv so it's merely a "login account" and nothing more. Gets me into google play store, google drive, etc.
    01-25-17 10:03 PM
    All - Thanks for the response. Keep them coming.

How can I disable Gmail?
    01-26-17 01:47 AM
    All - Thanks for the response. Keep them coming.

How can I disable Gmail?
    Settings > Apps > Gmail > Disable.

Btw, upgrading to MM shouldn't affect anything related to returning the device, warranty etc. I updated them right away so I didn't even use Lollipop on it, but allegedly it performs better on MM.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    01-26-17 02:44 AM
    Absolutely update to MM because the updated OS makes all the difference in the world in how the phone runs (better battery life, heat management, and smoother operation). You also want the security updates. When you return an Android phone, you always need to do a factory data reset (which clears personal data and returns to original OS ).
    Last edited by Nathan Conley; 01-26-17 at 03:31 AM.
    Mirko935, FF22 and andy957 like this.
    01-26-17 03:16 AM
    All - Thanks again. Keep the suggestions coming. I upgraded the OS as suggested. I'm going to disable gmail as i don't need it. Just need the account for google services.

Next question: How can I tell if I have the latest version of all the Blackberry software such as the hub installed. If I go into the google store and search on blackberry, I see all the BB apps. They say update. I do have the setting enable to update automatically when connected to wifi. Should I press update on all the apps?

Thanks in advance!
    01-26-17 06:28 AM
    All - Thanks again. Keep the suggestions coming. I upgraded the OS as suggested. I'm going to disable gmail as i don't need it. Just need the account for google services.

Next question: How can I tell if I have the latest version of all the Blackberry software such as the hub installed. If I go into the google store and search on blackberry, I see all the BB apps. They say update. I do have the setting enable to update automatically when connected to wifi. Should I press update on all the apps?

Thanks in advance!
    I have my update process set to manual. Update all the apps because failure to do so can affect the phone's performance. Disable apps you do not want to use. Keeps them from creating background issues. Avoid third party app stores since that increases your chance of inviting malware into your phone. Periodically delet your cache. It helps to keep your device from bogging down.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-26-17 06:49 AM
    Oh, if you use larger sd-cards (larger than 32gigs???), you want the MS EX-fat driver which also shows up when searching for Blackberry in the store.

I manually update. That way I remain in control.
    01-26-17 08:42 AM
    Oh, if you use larger sd-cards (larger than 32gigs???), you want the MS EX-fat driver which also shows up when searching for Blackberry in the store.

I manually update. That way I remain in control.
    True, but the phone asks if you want to install it when you insert a card so there's no reason to worry about it.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-26-17 09:29 AM
    Every once in a while I get updates for apps I haven't installed. Those I don't update.
    01-26-17 11:23 AM
    All - Updates have been completed (OS & apps). Gmail disabled. At some point I'll need transfer some content. (SMS, multimedia files such as pics and videos) No mail will be need to be transferred (Active sync put on mail and contacts)

How does the content tarsier work via wifi?
    01-26-17 04:04 PM
    All - Updates have been completed (OS & apps). Gmail disabled. At some point I'll need transfer some content. (SMS, multimedia files such as pics and videos) No mail will be need to be transferred (Active sync put on mail and contacts)

I think I used the cloud for Content Transfer. It only transfers, if I recall, about 3,200 sms messages. There are 3rd party apps that can do more. I don't text so did not explore those options.

I MANUALLY copy things like photos, music, docs from phone to computer to new phone. Actually, most of those items are already in a "master" folder on my computer. Content transfer could take ages with lots of data.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    01-26-17 06:08 PM

Use the BlackBerry content transfer app. It works well. You can do it using the sd card which you would leave the card in your previous device, download the content, then move the card over to the new device and run it there. If you want to use wifi, make sure the sd is not in your previous device and then you will get the wifi option.

I stored all photos/videos etc on my sd card on my old device so I didn't need to transfer any of those items. One thing I wish the BlackBerry content transfer app did is port call logs.
    01-27-17 12:21 AM
    I MANUALLY copy things like photos, music, docs from phone to computer to new phone. Actually, most of those items are already in a "master" folder on my computer. Content transfer could take ages with lots of data.
    Me too. I don't actually appreciate the idea of my personal photos and such being anywhere except on my PCs and phones, regardless of how safe cloud solutions supposedly are. So I periodically copy them to my PC and I also manually copied what I needed on my new phone. Lots of garbage also builds up over time, downloads, irrelevant pictures like memes from friends etc. which would waste several GB on things I'll never open again.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-27-17 12:35 AM
    Every once in a while I get updates for apps I haven't installed. Those I don't update.
    How do you get updates for apps you haven't installed?

Or do you mean for apps that are pre installed on the phone that you didn't specifically search for and install? - in which case you can disable and not have them show up with updates available.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    01-27-17 12:52 AM
    How do you get updates for apps you haven't installed?
    Was wondering the same thing. Have never seen an update notice for an app that wasn't actively installed.
    01-27-17 05:22 AM
    Let me clarify, for apps pre-installed that I have not activated or ever used.
    01-27-17 06:26 AM
    Let me clarify, for apps pre-installed that I have not activated or ever used.
    Then disable them - problem solved.
    01-27-17 06:57 AM
    All -

I have a 64GB SD card. Will the Priv recognize this card or do I need to install drivers?

Thanks in advance!
    01-27-17 03:52 PM
    All -

I have a 64GB SD card. Will the Priv recognize this card or do I need to install drivers?

Thanks in advance!
    You will have to install the Microsoft exfat for Blackberry app from the Play store.
    01-27-17 03:57 PM
    Thank you misterabrasive. That was mentioned earlier in the thread as well.

All - appreciate your help on the setup!
    01-27-17 04:02 PM
    So far I'm loving the Priv. Great form factor! Better than I expected. The transition to android has not been bad. No complaints with battery life but I'm sure that I can tweak it a bit.

I appreciate all the help you folks have provided.
    FF22, Mirko935 and Sigewif like this.
    01-29-17 08:20 AM
40 12