I know that the Priv security has been called into question many times do to the Android based operating system. Is there any news or rumors of the Priv being hacked yet? I know when the other secure android devices were hacked you could read about it all over the internet.
    02-09-16 02:03 PM
    The PRIV has not been rooted or the boot rom hacked... at least no one has shown they could do it.

As for Android and the PRIV being secured.... they wouldn't send out those security updates every month unless there were holes found in the security by someone.
    02-09-16 02:10 PM
    I understand the monthly security patches. What I am referring to as being officially hacked like Silent Circles Black Phone.
    02-09-16 03:45 PM
    The PRIV has not been rooted or the boot rom hacked... at least no one has shown they could do it.

As for Android and the PRIV being secured.... they wouldn't send out those security updates every month unless there were holes found in the security by someone.
    In fairness, lately, with thousands of security experts trying to drill holes into Android every month, desperately looking for even the slightest vulnerability, all they usually come up with are issues with mediaserver or wifi drivers that have never been publicly exploited in practice.

The old days of Android Swiss cheese are drawing near a close.
    02-09-16 04:04 PM
    I understand the monthly security patches. What I am referring to as being officially hacked like Silent Circles Black Phone.
    Not to say it's impossible, but the Priv hasn't been cracked yet. If it happens, the monthly updates have been delivered reliably so far.
    02-09-16 04:06 PM
    Per Silent Circle

Source:
    BGR a media source that is not Pro BlackBerry

�We�re replacing BlackBerry, we don�t care that BlackBerry�s CEO is throwing nasty things about us onto Twitter,� he said. �We�re going to dominate them.�

Why are we skeptical of this happening? Largely because Silent Circle made similar boasts about the Blackphone last year and its security didn�t quite live up to the hype. In fact, last summer one hacker managed to figure out how to root the Blackphone in a mere five minutes, although the company quickly issued a patch to fix this particular vulnerability.

My point is Silent Circle's Black Phone was hacked and rooted in less than five minutes. The Black Phone at that time was fully locked down with no access to Google Play.

I am not saying the Priv will never be hacked, however I do like the fact that it's has not been hacked or rooted since it's launch.

If and when the Priv does get hacked I'm sure it will be big news.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-09-16 04:54 PM
    BlackBerry security is dead serious. Blackphone security is a joke. It's that simple in case ya'll were wondering.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-09-16 09:44 PM
    The Blackphone was hacked through a method already known and patched by Silent Circle. It was later revealed that the hacker used a pre-patched Blackphone, and had the Wi-Fi turned off so the update to the OS wouldn't be sent to the phone before he could demonstrate the hack. Turned out to be a bit of a farce.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 12:36 AM
    Source on that being a farce??
    02-10-16 01:20 AM
    Per Silent Circle

Source:
    BGR a media source that is not Pro BlackBerry

�We�re replacing BlackBerry, we don�t care that BlackBerry�s CEO is throwing nasty things about us onto Twitter,� he said. �We�re going to dominate them.�

Why are we skeptical of this happening? Largely because Silent Circle made similar boasts about the Blackphone last year and its security didn�t quite live up to the hype. In fact, last summer one hacker managed to figure out how to root the Blackphone in a mere five minutes, although the company quickly issued a patch to fix this particular vulnerability.

My point is Silent Circle's Black Phone was hacked and rooted in less than five minutes. The Black Phone at that time was fully locked down with no access to Google Play.

I am not saying the Priv will never be hacked, however I do like the fact that it's has not been hacked or rooted since it's launch.

If and when the Priv does get hacked I'm sure it will be big news.
    The actual hacker himself stated clearly that the 'Black Phone Hacked in Five Minutes' story was totally false.

Therefore your point is based entirely upon a complete falsehood.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 01:26 AM
    And the inside source is ????

Not the only time either

Successful exploitation can yield remote code execution with the privileges of the Silent Text application, which runs as a regular Android app, but with some additional system privileges required to perform its SMS-like functionality such as access to contacts, access to location information, the ability to write to external storage, and of course net access,� Dowd explained to The Register.
    02-10-16 01:35 AM
    The Priv has had it's security challenge since day one because it is android based. Any proof or rumors it has been hacked??? If any one has the inside scoop ... Lol keep me posted
    02-10-16 01:37 AM
    I know that the Priv security has been called into question many times do to the Android based operating system. Is there any news or rumors of the Priv being hacked yet? I know when the other secure android devices were hacked you could read about it all over the internet.
    Remember what Jhon Chen said about Priv "I can't guarantee anything, it's an Android"

Posted via Priv...
    02-10-16 01:50 AM
    Why somebody would hack Android when Google is doing its "job" honestly by mining GBs out of your device

Posted via Priv...
    02-10-16 01:53 AM
    And the inside source is ????
    Check the hacker's Twitter posts or read any of the numerous threads on the topic on this very forum.

Chen himself has been quoted as stating that the Priv does not offer a Blackphone level of security and privacy.

But ultimately, whether you think Priv is secure or not is down to conjecture. There is no firm evidence to prove or disprove this (at the moment).

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 02:03 AM
    I am still running my passport as one of my devices so this is not a BB10 vs Priv debate. However the shortage of apps has forced me to run a second device. Any suggestions for a more secure second devise than the Priv?

I looked at the Black Phone to very seriously as the cost is not much more than the Priv. I don't feel that the Black Phone brings anything more to the table than the Priv.
    02-10-16 08:31 AM
    I am still running my passport as one of my devices so this is not a BB10 vs Priv debate. However the shortage of apps has forced me to run a second device. Any suggestions for a more secure second devise than the Priv?

I looked at the Black Phone to very seriously as the cost is not much more than the Priv. I don't feel that the Black Phone brings anything more to the table than the Priv.
    As far as I am aware, there aren't any other viable alternatives for consumers.

Personally I would suggest that the Black Phone provides a more secure and private solution - BlackBerry's stance seems at odds with what Priv offers, considering it runs Google Play Services (which mines user activity wholesale).

But I'm only basing this on what I have read, and on my interpretation of what 'secure' and 'private' should be. If you think Priv is secure and private enough for you, by all means go for it.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 10:19 AM
    BlackBerry's stance seems at odds with what Priv offers, considering it runs Google Play Services (which mines user activity wholesale).
    Having a bot collect aggregate information and collect info for targeted ads in return for many free services is quite different from mining banking or other private information for overtly nefarious purposes, in my books. But to each his own.
    jm1219 and techvisor like this.
    02-10-16 10:30 AM

Personally I would suggest that the Black Phone provides a more secure and private solution - BlackBerry's stance seems at odds with what Priv offers, considering it runs Google Play Services (which mines user activity wholesale).

You are aware the Black Phone 2 is running Google Play since the Silent Circle app store was not even close to what BlackBerry 10 apps offer. So if the Black Phone is more secure based on the usage of Google usage that is no longer true since the Silent Circle now uses Google services.

As my secondary device is used for business and not consumer usage I still am trying to be security conscious. My only Google email account is at least a business account which gives me more security and control over the free consumer based email services.

I wish my basic app needs could be resolved with BB10 however as many others are forced to do is look for the next most secure option.
    02-10-16 10:52 AM
    Having a bot collect aggregate information and collect info for targeted ads in return for many free services is quite different from mining banking or other private information for overtly nefarious purposes, in my books. But to each his own.
    The two are different, but which constitutes 'Privacy'? Gathering of personal data doesn't tally with my interpretation of privacy, regardless of what that data is subsequently used for.

I'm not saying that your answer is wrong - we clearly just have different views on this.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 11:28 AM

You are aware the Black Phone 2 is running Google Play since the Silent Circle app store was not even close to what BlackBerry 10 apps offer. So if the Black Phone is more secure based on the usage of Google usage that is no longer true since the Silent Circle now uses Google services.

As my secondary device is used for business and not consumer usage I still am trying to be security conscious. My only Google email account is at least a business account which gives me more security and control over the free consumer based email services.

I wish my basic app needs could be resolved with BB10 however as many others are forced to do is look for the next most secure option.
    Have to admit I know little or nothing about the Black Phone 2, so had no idea it ran Play services.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 11:29 AM
    Have to admit I know little or nothing about the Black Phone 2, so had no idea it ran Play services.

Posted via CB10
    It does, but there are, AFAIK, separate work and personal spaces on the BP2. GP is only on the personal side. Or something like that.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 11:48 AM
    The two are different, but which constitutes 'Privacy'? Gathering of personal data doesn't tally with my interpretation of privacy, regardless of what that data is subsequently used for.

I'm not saying that your answer is wrong - we clearly just have different views on this.

Posted via CB10
    I understand. But to add:

I give my private information out all the time to institutions or vendors I choose to work with - those that benefit me (where there is quid pro quo). Weather it be a financial institution, or a health care provider, or a travel agent, etc. I see Google in that same light.

Taking my data when I have expressly denied permission, and/or grabbing it for illegal purposes or in order to hurt me, is a giant leap in my eyes. This is my version of privacy.

I'm not about to live off the grid.
    02-10-16 12:09 PM
    It does, but there are, AFAIK, separate work and personal spaces on the BP2. GP is only on the personal side. Or something like that.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't that what Samsung does with Knox sandboxing or no?
    02-10-16 01:16 PM
    You are correct, that is what Samsung does with KNOX.
    jm1219 likes this.
    02-10-16 03:13 PM
32 12