Hi,

The screen of my Priv instantly shuts off as soon as I start a phone call. It then refuses to turn back on with a double tap or a press of the power button. The only two ways to wake it are to open the slider, or, curiously, to turn the phone face down, at which point it will either be stable or flicker on and off if the phone moves slightly. However, the screen shuts off again as soon as I start to turn it face up again.

This is a problem as it prevents turning on the speaker for handsfree, accessing the number pad for phone menu options, or accessing other phone features during a call.

The screen is not timing out and going to sleep - my timeout is set to 2 minutes. I have deactivated all advanced interactions and lift to wake. (Double tap to wake is still enabled, though doesn't work). The phone is nowhere near my ear. It happens whether or not the phone is in its case (OEM leather flip). None of these behaviours take place outside the phone app. The phone is perfectly clean and virtually new - just received it as a warranty exchange this week. I do not use a screen protector. I did a full factory reset a few days ago and the problems persist.

Has anyone else encountered this and solved it? If there's another forum for this please point me there, I haven't seen one.

Thank you.
    Last edited by JP Yow; 05-01-16 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Updated to add details: not dirty and no screen protector; already done factory reset
    04-30-16 10:45 AM
    Hi, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I did run virtual expert though and there may be an issue with the long range sensor, which could make sense.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-30-16 12:58 PM
    Hi,

The screen of my Priv instantly shuts off as soon as I start a phone call. It then refuses to turn back on with a double tap or a press of the power button. The only two ways to wake it are to open the slider, or, curiously, to turn the phone face down, at which point it will either be stable or flicker on and off if the phone moves slightly. However, the screen shuts off again as soon as I start to turn it face up again.

This is a problem as it prevents turning on the speaker for handsfree, accessing the number pad for phone menu options, or accessing other phone features during a call.

The screen is not timing out and going to sleep - my timeout is set to 2 minutes. I have deactivated all advanced interactions and lift to wake. (Double tap to wake is still enabled, though doesn't work). The phone is nowhere near my ear. It happens whether or not the phone is in its case (OEM leather flip). None of these behaviours take place outside the phone app.

Has anyone else encountered this and solved it? If there's another forum for this please point me there, I haven't seen one.

Thank you.
    I'm having the same issue too and just hoping the marshmallow update will fix it.

Even double tap to wake doesn't work! If I hover my hand from a distance it sometimes work.

04-30-16 02:11 PM
    Any screen protector? Might it be interfering with the proximity sensor? Is that area of the screen clean?
    04-30-16 04:15 PM
    One other thing to try... wipe the grunge off the proximity sensor area as suggested elsewhere...
    04-30-16 06:28 PM
    They took off my other reply... & I didn't even diss JC in it & I got no ding... sheesh
    04-30-16 06:43 PM
    Also look for any area where you can fire some compressed air into the device to try an blow dust out of the way of the proximity sensor. I've done that on a few different OEM devices, and it sometimes works. Basically, the seals around any area of possible entrance may be defective (usually around the speaker that's held next to your ear during a phone call), and dust gets through and eventually migrates to the proximity sensor. A can of compressed air can sometimes clear that out (though usually temporarily).
    04-30-16 06:46 PM
    Any screen protector? Might it be interfering with the proximity sensor? Is that area of the screen clean?
    Hi, thanks for the suggestions. No, no screen protector. And yep, the screen and phone are very clean.
    05-01-16 06:15 AM
    One other thing to try... wipe the grunge off the proximity sensor area as suggested elsewhere...
    Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Yep, clean as can be.
    05-01-16 06:17 AM
    Also look for any area where you can fire some compressed air into the device to try an blow dust out of the way of the proximity sensor. I've done that on a few different OEM devices, and it sometimes works. Basically, the seals around any area of possible entrance may be defective (usually around the speaker that's held next to your ear during a phone call), and dust gets through and eventually migrates to the proximity sensor. A can of compressed air can sometimes clear that out (though usually temporarily).
    Thank you. I will try this out. It's less than a week old and still looks pristine so my suspicion is it's something else, but you never know.
    05-01-16 06:18 AM
    I'm having the same issue too and just hoping the marshmallow update will fix it.

Even double tap to wake doesn't work! If I hover my hand from a distance it sometimes work.

Hi, I'll expand on a previous reply as it may be useful to you as well. I ran the sensor tests on BB Virtual Expert and the long range sensor appeared non-functional. As I moved my hand towards the device, it would detect my hand starting at about 7 cm, which was picked up by the mid-range sensor. And the close-range sensor would pick me up even closer. But I could never activate the long range sensor. It would be interesting to see if you duplicate these results. I know a phone call activates the sensors to determine if it's close to your ear so that may be the issue there.

Not sure how that would impact double tap to wake but interestingly, mine is also wonky. I have discovered a sequence of steps that makes it work (tap twice on the sleeping screen through the cut-out window of my leather flip case, which always works, then wait til it falls asleep again. This causes it to work normally, at least for a while) but obviously that only works if you have a specific case on it.

Out of curiosity, does your lift to wake work? Mine does not. So my jumble of problems includes screen turning off, faulty long range sensor, non-functional tap to wake and non-functional lift to wake. I've forwarded the details to the Priv team at BB and expect a reply sometime Monday. I'll post any results.

Good luck... let me know if you figure anything out.
    Last edited by JP Yow; 05-01-16 at 06:37 AM. Reason: for clarity
    05-01-16 06:32 AM
    I think you have probably confirmed it is a hardware problem. Unless you have installed some 3rd party software that might affect how it reacts to certain movements.
    05-01-16 08:18 AM
    Try wipe the phone if problem persist, could be hardware
    05-01-16 08:21 AM
    I think you have probably confirmed it is a hardware problem. Unless you have installed some 3rd party software that might affect how it reacts to certain movements.
    No sir, none.
    05-01-16 01:01 PM
    Try wipe the phone if problem persist, could be hardware
    Hi, I did a factory reset a few days ago. Thanks for mentioning it - I will add that to my original post so people know I tried it.
    05-01-16 01:02 PM
    Ever since I updated to MM I've had this same problem. Curious if someone finds a solution or the cause of the problem
    05-01-16 03:33 PM
    I had it just after MM OTA & BBVE showed prox sensor failure at long distance...

Performed long press reboot & wped the screen... sOLveD !!

Whatdid it? I don't know...
    05-01-16 04:46 PM
    I had it just after MM OTA & BBVE showed prox sensor failure at long distance...

Performed long press reboot & wped the screen... sOLveD !!

Whatdid it? I don't know...
    Just tried the long press reboot. Didn't work, thanks for the idea though.

05-01-16 08:08 PM
    If my memory serves I rebooted several times... just rechecked BBVE & proximity sensois AOK... don't forget to wipe the top of screen & remove screen protector...
    05-01-16 08:15 PM
    I had this very same problem on my daughters Nokia 800 and it was the Proximity sensor. It's either defective or the build quality was poor and it pulled away from under the glass and has moved slightly. I would definitely return or exercise any warranty options you have.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-16 09:11 PM

Same issue and I figure it's a bug!

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 2.6.7
    05-02-16 10:52 AM
    The proximity sensor might not be working properly. Check the sensor using the virtual expert and confirm. I had the same problem and got my device replaced.

05-02-16 10:54 AM
    I too am experiencing this same problem. The problem reared its head sometime after BlackBerry pushed their slew of app updates (month-end April).
    AT&T Priv running Lollipop (still!).
    05-06-16 08:31 PM
    Resolved - as was the case with several people on this thread, it appears to have been the proximity sensor. In my case the Marshmallow upgrade or other updates did not seem related. BBVE did reveal a proximity sensor fail - near and medium were fine but far (anything over about six cm) did not register. My carrier (Rogers) replaced the device and things are working fine now. Sorry for the late reply, the first replacement phone also had problems (!) so I had to go through the replacement cycle twice. A lot of work but happy to be up and running again. Thank you for the feedback everyone. And good luck to all experiencing this issue, if I can be of any assistance I'd be happy to try. I have found that the @blackberryhelp twitter account is a good place to start. Usually the first level of support knows less than I do but they connect you over to the Priv help desk if needed.
    05-15-16 08:21 AM