You mean a Samsung. Apple actually tends to offer updates quite long for legacy devices
    Apple has done this in their history, so this is what I was referring to.

Remember cut/copy/paste, MMS, Siri, etc.? Probably not.
    12-21-15 11:59 AM
    Not wrong. You can buy it carrier free in the US from BlackBerry! Therefore, not exclusive. To say otherwise is a misnomer.
    That is a crock of an argument.

I can buy any compatible Chinese knockoff and use it with my Tmobile service. That does NOT in any way imply that Tmobile carries those devices.

It is very clearly AT&T exclusive in US at present.

To imply anything else is as disingenuous as Chen implying that all US carriers will offer it by end of year (which he very clearly said he was working on a number of weeks back) .

Posted via CB10
    12-21-15 12:05 PM
    That is a crock of an argument.

I can buy any compatible Chinese knockoff and use it with my Tmobile service. That does NOT in any way imply that Tmobile carries those devices.

It is very clearly AT&T exclusive in US at present.

To imply anything else is as disingenuous as Chen implying that all US carriers will offer it by end of year (which he very clearly said he was working on a number of weeks back) .

Posted via CB10
    Everyone's Priv in the US doesn't have an AT&T logo on it. Off the top of my head you can buy it carrier free

Direct from BlackBerry
    Amazon
    B&H

Then use it on Tmobile, AT&T, or through their MVNO's. Not sure what's difficult to understand for you.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    12-21-15 12:44 PM
    Firstly, thank you for quoting me accurately this time. Hopefully, now that you've got the knack of it, it'll become a trend.

Secondly, why would you have posted "at least 10,000 Priv sales per day" (several times IIRC) if you didn't believe it? There's only one of us who is re-writing history here. Do you make a habit of posting statements in which you don't believe?

Cap'n
    My calculations worked it out to about 7142 per day, and the actual number turned out to be about 6590 per day.
    (145000/22=6590)

Here is the actual exchange you keep referring from the blackberry-hub-only-has-10000-downloads thread.

We should no more on the 18th and I am sure the sales are not that low.
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was more like 10,000 per day at this point.
    My calculations are based on the momentum of the sales generated so far based on the number of retail stores, demand and time it took to sell out...more projected sales than actual at this point. I have updated my post to use "demand" instead of "sales".

I figure from my rough calculations that there is a demand for selling at about a rate of 5000-10,000 units per day since launch.

You can see the calculations in full right here.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...posed-1053644/

The moderator closed the thread at the time because he dismissed it as another exercise in futility, but now it has turned out to be correct.

Moderator...can you reopen the thread now so I can post this attachment for all of the naysayers?
    Attached Thumbnails Priv related notes from Q3 2016 earnings call-download.jpg  
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-21-15 at 03:21 PM.
    12-21-15 03:07 PM
    <snip>
    12-21-15 03:20 PM
    Sorry...just pointing out you were wrong....again. You can run and hide from the facts...but that doesn't make them go away.
    12-21-15 03:27 PM
    Sorry...just pointing out you were wrong....again. You can run and hide from the facts...but that doesn't make them go away.
    There's no need to apologise. You haven't.

Did you like the song?
    12-21-15 03:30 PM
    I hate to say I told you so...

Now let's calculate annual sales at that pace.
    250,000 / 35 days since launch = 7142 per day x 365 = 2,607,142
    My calculations are based on the momentum of the sales generated so far based on the number of retail stores, demand and time it took to sell out...more projected sales than actual at this point. I have updated my post to use "demand" instead of "sales".

I figure from my rough calculations that there is a demand for selling at about a rate of 5000-10,000 units per day since launch.
    but I did.
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-21-15 at 04:02 PM.
    12-21-15 03:46 PM
    You're right...I shouldn't single you out specifically.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...posed-1053644/ proves a lot of people wrong.
    Yes, I know I'm right.

I'm sure you've spent considerable time looking, but your inability to quote a single post of mine that would serve to demonstrate that I've modified in any way my position tends to confirm that.

However, as this discussion is going nowhere fast, I think I'll leave it there.

I'll let you have the last word so you can claim a victory.

Glad you liked the song.
    12-21-15 03:57 PM
    Perhaps I shouldn't single you out...

This

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...posed-1053644/

and this

proves I was right and all of the naysayers (you included) were wrong.
    I don't think that number is anything to gloat about. It covers such a short launch period which gives no meaningful indication long term. Problem with some of your calculations is that you assume launch numbers will continue each and every day throughout the year. Stop thinking small and use more meaningful indicators.
    12-21-15 03:58 PM
    I don't think that number is anything to gloat about. It covers such a short launch period which gives no meaningful indication long term. Problem with some of your calculations is that you assume launch numbers will continue each and every day throughout the year. Stop thinking small and use more meaningful indicators.
    Of course it's something to gloat about. I took the download numbers that all the naysayer held so dearly and used it against them by applying simple logic.
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-21-15 at 04:54 PM.
    12-21-15 04:06 PM
    The calculation was right. You guys slammed it before as being ridiculous...and now you have been proven wrong you are still refusing to admit it. That's fine....all I have to do is keep reposting my quotes...you can't argue with them.
    I didn't slam a thing. I seemed to have missed that fiasco of yours. I'm only talking in general. You assume too much over an such a small sample size.
    12-21-15 04:09 PM
    I didn't slam a thing. I seemed to have missed that fiasco of yours. I'm only talking in general. You assume too much over an such a small sample size.
    Well the calculation proved to be accurate is all I'm saying.
    12-21-15 04:14 PM
    Yes, I know I'm right.

I'm sure you've spent considerable time looking, but your inability to quote a single post of mine that would serve to demonstrate that I've modified in any way my position tends to confirm that.

However, as this discussion is going nowhere fast, I think I'll leave it there.

I'll let you have the last word so you can claim a victory.
    (I'm quoting you so I know you will read this )

Before the Q3 earnings report:
    Oh dear... I might have been more correct than I feared when I guessed at 17 Priv's being sold on the opening weekend.

Guess we'll see in the Quarterly Results.

After the Q3 earnings report:
    I think you might have misread my post actually.

I'd reckoned on the Priv selling significantly more and offsetting the further (and inevitable) BB10 sales decline. I was expecting to see around the 1M mark..
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-22-15 at 07:48 AM.
    12-22-15 06:27 AM
    This is clearly important to you, so I'll yield.

Yup, your estimate of 154k was a lot closer than mine of 17.

Well Done!
    12-22-15 07:21 AM
    But thanks for lumping me in with the Fanbois...
    I was responding to the quoted bit but my response was not solely to you. You are no Fanboi.
    12-23-15 09:26 AM
    I was responding to the quoted bit but my response was not solely to you. You are no Fanboi.
    Awwwh, now I'm crushed!

I really thought I'd made it to Fanboi status... <sigh> oh well, I'll try to hold myself together through the disappointment.
    12-23-15 09:31 AM
    Seeking Alpha
    "BlackBerry counts smartphones sales on a sell-through basis. For this reason, the majority of pre-orders through the ShopBB website would not contribute towards Q3 revenue."

(Regarding disclosing Priv sales)
    "Chen said those numbers would be "misleading" because it took time to get the devices into stores."
    http://m.guelphtribune.ca/news-story...-sales-insight

So from this can we determine that more than 700,000 devices actually sold in q3?
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-25-15 at 08:12 AM.
    12-25-15 07:45 AM
    It sure could be more. Maybe 700,001 devices overall. Blackberry's report, and even the article you linked says that there were about 700K devices sold overall in Q3.
    Last edited by mister2d; 12-25-15 at 05:37 PM.
    12-25-15 02:06 PM
    Hi, i read somewhere that BB waits 15 days after a consumer buy the phone, in order to pass the return time period, before counting it as sold. If true we had 24 - 15 = 9 days of Priv sales in Q3 instead of 24 days. Is this right? Anyone can confirm that? If this is true, Priv sales could be better that expected.
    12-25-15 02:55 PM
    Hi, i read somewhere that BB waits 15 days after a consumer buy the phone, in order to pass the return time period, before counting it as sold. If true we had 24 - 15 = 9 days of Priv sales in Q3 instead of 24 days. Is this right? Anyone can confirm that? If this is true, Priv sales could be better that expected.
    BlackBerry to announce Q3 Fiscal 2016 results on December 18 | CrackBerry.com

"Officially ended on November 28, 22 days after Priv launch. That gives 8 days of Priv sales, keeping in mind that a lot of the production run was to fill channels. How much of that channel emptied, and how big the production run was, is anybody's guess."

"BlackBerry doesn't count hardware sales until 15 days after activation, so we'll only see one week of Priv sales. Still, there were initial sellouts and Marty Beard mentioned that demand was expected to be "magnitudes higher" than the Passport and Classic, so you'd *think* that production was there to meet the anticipated demand."
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-26-15 at 05:56 PM.
    12-26-15 07:13 AM
    Thanks for your answer. I keep reading that BlackBerry sold around 125.000/150.000 (and it seems right to me) Priv in the last quarter but there is a big difference if they've done that in 3 weeks or in 1 week of sales. Assuming it's 1 week, we should clarify this and more importantly make sure everyone writing about Q3 Priv sales in all these different threads understand this. In most of the posts I've seen, people says 3 weeks.
    12-26-15 09:49 AM
72 123