Due to changes in my work network (I am the only BB10 user), I may need to give up my beloved OG Passport. Our new CIO is unwilling to provide me with the CA for exchange, so I have been without company email (except for OWA) for over two weeks.

Having been a BlackBerry user for about 14 years, I am considering a Priv primarily for email management and because it has a PKB. I have had secondary Android and Apple devices over the past five years and they suck in regards to email management and other areas. I have seven email accounts on my device. Personal (3), work(1) , non profit work( 3 ). I thought I would come to get some feedback, positive and negative. Questions below:

1) How does the hub app work on the Priv ? Is it useless? Any other software issues I haven't heard about?

2) Can you still separate email accounts like you can on BB10?

3) Which model (STV100-1, -2, or -3) is the best purchase with regards to hardware/software issues?

4) With the price coming down significantly on used/refurb unlocked ATT units, is it worth it to purchase an unlocked ATT unit for $300 dollars less?

Thank you and I look forward to your feedback.

Passport. It's not as big as you think it is.
    06-02-16 06:19 PM
    I can answer #2...hub can separate accounts just like BB10.

The hub works well but there is a little learning curve to the differences. For the basic / advanced user I think you will be fine. If you are a power user who really knows the ins and outs then you may not get everything you want in the Priv 's hub.

Posted via Priv by BlackBerry
    06-02-16 06:28 PM
    Don't expect something that different comparing the priv with other android devices (os wise). It does have a BlackBerry twist but it's still android.
    Personally I find no use for the hub other than setting my work emails on it(2). For my personal email account I just use the default Gmail app. It's not that the hub isn't a good app, it's just that it's a completely different environment and as I said in my opinion u don't" need it".
    The model you ll get will have to do with where u live.
    Regarding buying a used priv: I'd say no. U can't know if the previous owner has messed with the devices physically. I don't necessarily mean that the previous owner might have dropped the device some times.perhaps he hasn't BUT, what if this person has had some hardware issues and got the device in an non authorized shop? That would mean the warranty will not cover any of your potential damages that might occur while the device is at your possession...

Posted via CB10
    06-02-16 06:32 PM
    I am a BlackBerry user as well since 10 years and I primary use my phone for business and have done the same switch like you plan to do from Passport to Priv .

Hub it works excellent particularly for email management and of course you can have separate view of each mail account.

You know android so I will not comment something about the OS .
    The device serves well the job and the PKB unlike to my concerns is also very good.

For me the big downgrade in comparison with the passport is the battery life , which is approx 25 to 30 % less.
    06-02-16 09:19 PM
    I also have to point out that if u were using the passport previously, u ll need at least 3-4 days to get used to the smaller buttons on the priv.(priv pkn is similar to the ones the legacy devices had size wise.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-16 09:33 PM
    Just get it

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-02-16 10:56 PM
    Due to changes in my work network (I am the only BB10 user), I may need to give up my beloved OG Passport. Our new CIO is unwilling to provide me with the CA for exchange, so I have been without company email (except for OWA) for over two weeks.

Having been a BlackBerry user for about 14 years, I am considering a Priv primarily for email management and because it has a PKB. I have had secondary Android and Apple devices over the past five years and they suck in regards to email management and other areas. I have seven email accounts on my device. Personal (3), work(1) , non profit work( 3 ). I thought I would come to get some feedback, positive and negative. Questions below:

1) How does the hub app work on the Priv ? Is it useless? Any other software issues I haven't heard about?

3) Which model (STV100-1, -2, or -3) is the best purchase with regards to hardware/software issues?

4) With the price coming down significantly on used/refurb unlocked ATT units, is it worth it to purchase an unlocked ATT unit for $300 dollars less?

Hub works well. U can sort thru unread messages, Mark them read etc. I love the swipe to snooze and delete features. I cannot survive without the Hub.

Yes u can separate the email accts. I have four on mine.

I bought mine unlocked from ShopBlackberry. I wanted updates that are not carrier dependent. I have had no problems with mine at all. Some of the carrier phones have had issues with bloatware from reading comments etc.

BlackBerry has done a great job of retaining a BlackBerry feel with the Priv. I use the PKB a lot, coming from the Classic. It was an adjustment but I do use the PKB a lot now. And having the apps is a huge plus. I love DriveMode, the Keeper app, way calendar integrates with Google maps etc. My productivity has definitely increased with this gorgeous device.

Posted via my Priv
    06-02-16 11:22 PM
    Thank you all for the feedback. It is not a done deal, but is a direction that I may have take. One of my other options is to wait for the Rome should it ever be released :-)

My biggest concern was of course the email handling. Sounds like it is very similar. My biggest use of the hub is probably the "Priority" Hub.

If anyone can clarify the difference in three versions I would appreciate it. For example, I think the -1 is the ATT version, but I am not sure.

06-02-16 11:42 PM

As a former Passport user I am not disappointed by using my Priv. The hub works well. I have separated email accounts too. My AT&T Priv shows "STV100-1" in the settings. I've had it for about 3 weeks with no hardware or software issues. I would save the 300 and go AT&T refurb and hope that BlackBerry starts rolling out Marshmallow soon. Although I'm on an AT&T locked Priv I'm still on Lollipop 5.1 awaiting the MM release. Loaded my Android apps and run them as well as new ones just fine. Although I really liked my Passport the only thing I miss is the hardshell BlackBerry case with the very gripable back. The Priv hardshell is very slippery. The Priv alone is not as slippery as the hardshell but I recommend reinforcing with egrips on both. I think you're going to love the Priv. I was skeptical at first but every time I slide out the PKB I feel right at home. Plus you can have the PKB and virtual keyboard displayed at the same time which makes for a very powerful keyboard experience.

06-03-16 12:33 AM
    I can answer #2...hub can separate accounts just like BB10.

The hub works well but there is a little learning curve to the differences. For the basic / advanced user I think you will be fine. If you are a power user who really knows the ins and outs then you may not get everything you want in the Priv 's hub.

Posted via Priv by BlackBerry
    Thanks! I guess I could be considered a power user. I have always loved the mail/messaging capability of BlackBerry devices. I pretty much wore out my 8100,my 8700, my Bold 9900 and my Q10. To my amazement after a few updates BB10 was even better. I am curious to see how well the BlackBerry "Apps" are integrated into Android functionality.

Even though BB10 is basically a "locked" system on boot it allows the user enough tweaks to really make the device your own. Pretty sure I'll still miss my Passport. It is an unusual device in many ways, but still one of my all time favorites.

06-03-16 12:43 AM
    As a former Passport user I am not disappointed by using my Priv. The hub works well. I have separated email accounts too. My AT&T Priv shows "STV100-1" in the settings. I've had it for about 3 weeks with no hardware or software issues. I would save the 300 and go AT&T refurb and hope that BlackBerry starts rolling out Marshmallow soon........ I think you're going to love the Priv. I was skeptical at first but every time I slide out the PKB I feel right at home. Plus you can have the PKB and virtual keyboard displayed at the same time which makes for a very powerful keyboard experience.

Thanks! Follow up from a Passport user is very important for me. Also thanks for the suggestions on the case issue. Good to know. I would hate to drop it just after I got use to device.

06-03-16 12:49 AM
    The model will depend almost entirely on the carrier and where you are physically located in the world.
    Excluding the various carriers bloatware etc, the software and OS is the same. The difference in models is the radio freq's, and wireless charging capability.

The AT&T version has tons of bloatware, you can prob live with that for $300 cash in your pocket. You will be at the mercy of AT&T for updates, (locked or unlocked) historically and currently they are terrible. Can you live with being 3 to 9 months behind, or longer, on updates? Possibly even the security updates? Possibly never getting updates?

If you are going to use the phone on AT&T, and don't mind lack of updates, you will be OK.
    I would NOT get one and try using it on any other carrier, even if AT&T does release an update, you will have to insert an active AT&T SIM to get it.

If you are in the US, and not on Verizon, you will want the STV100-1. But beware that model is used for TMo, AT&T and the 'Factory unlocked' BB versions.
    Be very careful if you want a true 'Facory Unlocked' BB version, 98% of those being sold at a discount are AT&T. Some are even listed as "AT&T factory unlocked" to further confuse people. They are not Factory Unlocked.
    06-03-16 06:50 AM
    STV 100-1 is for att and global. It is gsm version. However, as mentioned, there are two versions "att unlock" and �factory unlocked". If u do travel and mind software update, better get the factory unlocked, it promises monthly update although its few hundred bucks more expensive.

Via my 4yo Q10
    FF22 likes this.
    06-03-16 07:33 AM
    Also depends on what's ur carrier.

Via my 4yo Q10
    06-03-16 07:34 AM
    As an update, my carrier is ATT. I would prefer the actual factory unlocked. My OG Passport is a true factory unlocked device.

While the ShopBB unlocked version is my preference, the cost is a concern. Keep in mind that my plan was to keep my OG Passport until it no longer functioned, that may not be in the cards. I hate to rely on ATT for anything other than a signal, the cost difference is a factor.

06-03-16 04:13 PM
    As an update, my carrier is ATT. I would prefer the actual factory unlocked. My OG Passport is a true factory unlocked device.

While the ShopBB unlocked version is my preference, the cost is a concern. Keep in mind that my plan was to keep my OG Passport until it no longer functioned, that may not be in the cards. I hate to rely on ATT for anything other than a signal, the cost difference is a factor.

Well, you do pay a premium for the Factory UNlocked version. But, at least, you have a choice. Verizon customers don't have such a shopBB choice.
    06-03-16 06:39 PM
    You could choose another carrier.
    Did they ever settle the strike?
    06-03-16 08:37 PM
    You could choose another carrier.
    Did they ever settle the strike?
    Verizon strike? Yes, yesterday, or the day before. But it really was wire-line, landline stuff, not wireless. I still occasionally visit the USA boonies and Verizon generally has the best coverage. And folks I know, still complain about AT&T coverage. Tradeoffs!
    06-03-16 09:20 PM
    Bought used OG Priv off eBay... works fine...

06-03-16 09:54 PM
    Thank you all for the feedback. It is not a done deal, but is a direction that I may have take. One of my other options is to wait for the Rome should it ever be released :-)

My biggest concern was of course the email handling. Sounds like it is very similar. My biggest use of the hub is probably the "Priority" Hub.

If anyone can clarify the difference in three versions I would appreciate it. For example, I think the -1 is the ATT version, but I am not sure.

There are 4 versions my friend. And that stv-100 1 being the gobal one is not accurate. Roughly the -1 is sold in the states,canada etc. -4 is the European one. -3 is the Oceania etc version while -2 is the version some us carriers release. As someone said above a factory unlocked version would get the updates way faster.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 09:56 PM
    Verizon strike? Yes, yesterday, or the day before. But it really was wire-line, landline stuff, not wireless. I still occasionally visit the USA boonies and Verizon generally has the best coverage. And folks I know, still complain about AT&T coverage. Tradeoffs!
    My brother has ATT here in Ohio and has constant signal problems. I tried Sprint and their service was so bad for my family that they let us out of our contract because they couldn't service us.

Verizon may cost a little more than others (although I'm not sure there is as big a price difference as there used to be) but I'm willing to pay a little premium for an excellent signal. Only issue I've had with Verizon is the time it takes to get BlackBerry updates pushed through. Hopefully this will continue to improve.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv
    FF22 likes this.
    06-03-16 10:42 PM
    Yes, regarding where to buy it is a gamble... you really want the factory unlocked, you get the updates without the middle-man interfering (carrier)... however, the price still high at the shopbb which is the only place where you can get a factory unlocked 100% guaranteed... then you have amazon and ebay gambles, or swappa... when you buy used depends on how honest the seller is, and you can still get an Att unlocked version which still is tied to the carrier... I took a chance at swappa and I ended with a mint factory unlocked device, but do your home work and ask all the proper questions to the seller before pulling the trigger...

06-03-16 11:07 PM
    Let's start with price, lower is better since no matter what Priv you buy it's not going to be a Passport. I have used a Priv just remember it's not a BlackBerry as you are used too. I am using a 6S plus now (from my Passport) since some of my kids are away and FaceTime just works well, but I miss not being able to open multiple Apps to work and no Hub sucks. First chance I am back on my Passport.

Since you want the Hub, get the lowest cost Priv and give it some time to get used too, it will work for you; just different.

Woof!
    FF22 likes this.
    06-04-16 05:54 PM