It seems to me that BB missed a great opportunity with implementing privacy on the PRIV.

DTEK is good at tell you about security issues, but it's not good at actually doing anything about them. It told me that my barcode scanner was accessing my GPS location and that my music player was reading my contacts, but other than uninstalling the programs, it does not give me any option to do anything about it. Nor does DTEK warn me about the issue and ask my approval before allowing the programs to access the information; it just tells me about it afterward (and it does so silently, apparently without the option for an audible alert).

Windows and for that matter any Windows anti-virus program warn you about security issues and then ask you to approve the access. Until you do, it blocks it. Why doesn't DTEK do that, too?

I know that Marshmallow will solve much of this problem but permitting permission-by-permission tweaking when installing an app, but in the meantime while we're still on Lollipop (and it might be a while yet, especially on Verizon), BB missed an opportunity to be at the cutting edge of privacy by designing the PRIV to allow the user to block specific permissions, both proactively and reactively.

Question: Does anyone have a recommendation for how to handle this while waiting for Marshmallow? Is there a safe way to use, for example, the Uber app -- which asks for every permission under the sun?
    FF22 and crackberry_geek like this.
    03-20-16 03:26 PM
    If you pay attention before you download any app you can read what permissions it needs before installing it if you choose to download it then that's up to you. Dtek is just an app that's tells you what's doing what that's about it.
    03-20-16 03:54 PM
    Man I just got the blackphone 2 yesterday. It is freaking awesome. I'm surprised that blackberry never went the same route on "app installation & permissions".

I'm not knocking the priv the I'm still using it or my SE passport for work line just not sure witch one yet.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-20-16 04:01 PM
    Wait for the Marshmallow to come.

 Passport SE on Etisalat 4G Network propelled by 10.3.2.2876
    03-20-16 04:43 PM

When? Soon?
    Hehe

Posted via Q10Bold
    03-20-16 04:51 PM

Yeah, but, how long is that going to take? They'll have surpassed Android Marshmallow, Android N and progressed onto Android Funnelcake (or whatever stupid pet-name Google gives the next OS they birth) before the Priv sees Marshmallow at this point... BlackBerry is not only the King of PKBs, but the royal reigning champs of procrastination as well...

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 04:52 PM
    Theres an app called dvasive That does a lot of what dtek does but also allows you to turn certain functions off when you need to for security

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    03-20-16 04:58 PM