I don't get the uproar on the initial price. Every device get reduced after half a year in anticipation of another new model.

The only exception are ios devices. They seem to cost almost the same until their new model is released.

If you don't like the initial cost....just wait 6 months or so.

Posted via CB10
    will308 likes this.
    10-24-15 08:43 AM
    just 6 months, and the phone wont be sold anymore and the hw business will be shut down, so you better get the phone while you can
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-24-15 08:47 AM
    just 6 months, and the phone wont be sold anymore and the hw business will be shut down, so you better get the phone while you can
    I don't think so. 2 years later you can still buy new z30's.

Priv will sell well as soon as the price is on par with other competitive devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 08:49 AM
    I don't get the uproar on the initial price. Every device get reduced after half a year in anticipation of another new model.

The only exception are ios devices. They seem to cost almost the same until their new model is released.

Posted via CB10
    People don't want to wait. We want it now.

Plus, if everyone waited then no one would have bought it and you wouldn't be able to get in six months.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 08:50 AM

Priv will sell well as soon as the price is on par with other competitive devices.

Posted via CB10
    Where are you getting new Z30s?

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-24-15 08:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    lets sum it up:

phone costs 700USD/900CAD/800EUR/560GBP, lot more than the passport/z30/z10/etc ever were
    its just an android phone with a physical keyboard
    its the 3rd OS of blackberry in 3 years, no brand equity, pain in the *** support and warranty handling, no stores anywhere to go for help
    no launch event at all, blackberry doesnt even try to get the word out
    ****load of faults with previous phones: double typing, lifting screen, flickering screen, etc etc
    ads made by jc's kid in paint

not exactly promising if you want to spend so much money on a phone... i would rather just get an iphone then, ill get the best warranty and service possible, ill have an os i know will be around in 2 years, ill have a great ecosystem (i know, priv should have one now too) and i wont even have to pay more than for the priv (even less actually, iphone 6s costs 740 eurs only).
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-24-15 08:58 AM
    That will probably never happen if purchased directly from the manufacturer. When the carriers get it and fudge it up will their bloat ware and removal of features, then you'll MAYBE see the lowered price. I emphasize maybe because BBRY wants to set this device apart from your LG, Motorola, Samsung, and whatever else is out there Android OS devices. Their message is, "Our Android device is the most secure and safest." So to portray that level of premium, security and efficiency, the price has to reflect that.

The strategy could work, if not somewhat working already. Customers see that price and say, "WTF! Why?" They research it and see why it's priced the way it is. Think about the last relatively expensive product you purchased and why you made that decision. It's human nature to explore what makes something so expensive and we the consumers tend to pay more for what we consider safer, more secure, efficient, attractive, or just better overall quality.

The X factor of all of this is, BBRY marketing department must do their job (an exceptional job at that) and shove it in the brains of current Android users why their Android is the best. They only have to win over a small fraction of existing Android users to consider 'Operation Android Phase I' a win. The target audience has now increased for BBRY. The piece of the pie is there. Now, go and get it.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 09:55 AM
    CrackBerry Store $299.99 :

Priv price at launch means nothing in 6-8 months-img_20151024_112951.png

RED  Q5 SQR100-2/10.3.2.2789 on Telus
    10-24-15 10:31 AM
    People don't want to wait. We want it now.

Plus, if everyone waited then no one would have bought it and you wouldn't be able to get in six months.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!

Which is why I love impatient people. They buy on release day which allows me to purchase in 1 - 2 years time for a $200 + savings

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on OS 10.3.3.271
    10-24-15 10:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    This is what is so laughable and ludicrous about current pricing. Don't you want your devices to sell well right out of the gate? Non-competitive price with no brand equity equals to a non-starter for the majority. Is the goal to continue the hardware division or kill it?

You're also forgetting that those "other competitive devices" will get cheaper still as time goes. The PRIV is constantly coming from behind. Because we're on Android now, as soon as the new flagships start coming out from the incumbents, that will make it even less likely for anyone to buy the PRIV, especially when its price is likely to be close or the same to that of the new flagships for 2016.
    10-24-15 10:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    I agree.

When it's $199 on a 2 year I'm in.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    10-24-15 10:56 AM
    This is what is so laughable and ludicrous about current pricing. Don't you want your devices to sell well right out of the gate? Non-competitive price with no brand equity equals to a non-starter for the majority. Is the goal to continue the hardware division or kill it?

You're also forgetting that those "other competitive devices" will get cheaper still as time goes. The PRIV is constantly coming from behind. Because we're on Android now, as soon as the new flagships start coming out from the incumbents, that will make it even less likely for anyone to buy the PRIV, especially when its price is likely to be close or the same to that of the new flagships for 2016.
    BlackBerry is in full-on cynical "maximize profits" panic mode in the devices division right now: there is no room for stunts like super-cheap pricing. They are focused like a laser on maximizing profits.

They know there is a contingent of BlackBerry hardcore fans they can exploit with a high price at launch. Plenty of people here are ordering the device despite the comparatively high price. Every one of the people who pre-order may be paying a hundred dollars more than the device is "worth", and if there are 10,000 people who buy this device at launch, that's $1,000,000 additional revenue.Their strategy may just well be:

- Soft launch at $900 Canadian: let the fans get it first and pay for the privilege.
    - "Real" launch at $800 Canadian $599 US a month later, with the all-singing-all-dancing extravaganza and THAT'S when the rest of the market will possibly consider purchasing.

The Slider is a unicorn device: there IS nothing like it and if customers are at ALL interested, there really is no alternative.

BlackBerry knows this and is very cannily exploiting this situation. Maximizing profits is something that should be encouraged by those who want the BlackBerry handset division to survive.
    10-24-15 11:05 AM
    Where are you getting new Z30s?

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    Amazon.de more than 10 dealer including Amazon

Priv price at launch means nothing in 6-8 months-img_20151024_183048.png
    10-24-15 11:32 AM