Anybody else think priv would actually be better without the pkb?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-04-16 05:41 PM
    Might be the one I tried, but I find the Priv keyboard to be mushy and inferior to the Passport's. The tacticle feedback on the Passport is so responsive, but I feel like I need to hammer down on the Priv KB and all I get back is a mushy/squishy sensation. It's garbage.

Posted via CB10
    tg1 likes this.
    07-04-16 06:11 PM
    I just think it is a little cramped compared to my old q10 and the on screen is just as good or better than my z30 which I am used to. Only day two with the phone but overall liking it just haven't used the pkb nearly as much as I thought I would.

jakie55 and Gayle Lynn like this.
    07-04-16 06:58 PM
    Might be the one I tried, but I find the Priv keyboard to be mushy and inferior to the Passport's. The tacticle feedback on the Passport is so responsive, but I feel like I need to hammer down on the Priv KB and all I get back is a mushy/squishy sensation. It's garbage.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, same here. The Priv may as well not be a slider because the pkb is so bad.
    Gayle Lynn likes this.
    07-04-16 07:09 PM
    Nope. If it didn't have the keyboard I had zero reasons to buy it.
    07-04-16 07:17 PM

NO! Absolutely not!
    The PKB one of the main features I wanted and I use it almost exclusively for typing.
    Typed with my Priv PKB

Posted with my PRIV via the CrackBerry App for Android
    nonamenomore likes this.
    07-05-16 02:05 AM
    No way! PKB was a huge factor in buying this phone. It did take me a little while to get used to it but I'm just as good good as I used to be now

Sigewif, tg1 and nonamenomore like this.
    07-05-16 02:56 AM
    I thought I would be using the pkb much more than I am. I got so used to the flicking on my z10 and z30, that it is my automatic response. I actually have to pause and figure out how to do certain things on the pub. I do like it, however.

07-05-16 04:42 AM
    Even if one doesn't use the pkb much, it really does come in handy while viewing content with the track pad functionality. No other Android phone on the market has this feature and it actually seems quite useful. This is all based on feedback I have received from friends who own the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 05:20 AM
    Is definitely not the classic keyboard but for a slider blackberry did a great job? It takes time to get use to it but all in all it does the job well. Blackberry needs to launch a Android classic which will sell like hot cakes in my opinion.

07-05-16 05:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    The Priv keyboard is nothing like the Passport's or the Classic's. Completely different beast. Having said that, I find the keyboard works better on the ShopBlackBerry STV100-1 than the STV100-3 (ie. Canadian carrier version). The extra antennae for wireless charging (it has two, for both QI and Powermat), which 'fill' the phone and also eliminate the squishy back, seem to better support the keyboard so it doesn't 'cave in' when pressed. This allows the click action to work properly and makes for a more responsive typing experience.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    07-05-16 07:14 AM
    The Priv keyboard is nothing like the Passport's or the Classic's. Completely different beast. Having said that, I find the keyboard works better on the ShopBlackBerry STV100-1 than the STV100-3 (ie. Canadian carrier version). The extra antennae for wireless charging (it has two, for both QI and Powermat), which 'fill' the phone and also eliminate the squishy back, seem to better support the keyboard so it doesn't 'cave in' when pressed. This allows the click action to work properly and makes for a more responsive typing experience.

Not sure what you're talking about. My original -1 didn't have the squish, RMA'd one with an earlier build which did have the squish, both keyboards work exactly the same.
    07-05-16 07:17 AM
    Not sure what you're talking about. My original -1 didn't have the squish, RMA'd one with an earlier build which did have the squish, both keyboards work exactly the same.
    If you want to put it that way, I'm not sure what you're talking about either. Which model were you using, ShopBlackBerry or a US carrier version?

07-05-16 08:33 AM
    If you want to put it that way, I'm not sure what you're talking about either. Which model were you using, ShopBlackBerry or a US carrier version?

I understand what you're talking about. You're saying, lack of the wireless charging coil contributes to the squishy back, thus affecting the feel of the keyboard. What I'm saying is the coil has no bearing on the squishy back because both my original and replacement devices have the coil, and one's squishy and other isn't. Both my original and RMA devices are SBB unlocked units. And to add to the point the squishy back had no bearing on how the keyboard felt, at least to me.
    07-05-16 09:01 AM
    Interesting. I definitely did notice a difference, both in the back, and in the feel of the keyboard. The one thing I can say is the STV100-3 I had originally was a one of the first builds.

07-05-16 09:58 AM
    The PKB is definitely something that makes the Priv stand out, in my opinion, and was one of the deciding factors for me.

I just wish the software issues with the PKB could be sorted. I often get the lag issue with my keyboard where it will pause and then suddenly type everything I pressed while it was paused, but with the annoyance of acting like I held all the keys down for several seconds. Its definitely some kind of software priority scheduling problem at my best guess.
    07-05-16 10:15 AM
    The PKB is definitely something that makes the Priv stand out, in my opinion, and was one of the deciding factors for me.

I just wish the software issues with the PKB could be sorted. I often get the lag issue with my keyboard where it will pause and then suddenly type everything I pressed while it was paused, but with the annoyance of acting like I held all the keys down for several seconds. Its definitely some kind of software priority scheduling problem at my best guess.
    Did you update the Keyboard via Play store?
    07-05-16 10:17 AM

If the Priv didn't have a PKB it would be just another flat Android slab... This being said I HATE the slider form factor with all of my heart... I would enjoy if something a little more Boldly Classic or even Passport-ish emerged (keeping the 4-row Keyboard of the Priv vs the awkward 3-row mess of Passport)... THIS would be my 'perfect' device...

As far as the Priv's PKB goes, being the dedicated PKB connoisseur I am, I was left highly unimpressed and super disappointed... The PKB on the Priv is awful vs the historic PKB crafted by BlackBerry in the past... While I will acknowledge, as it stands, the Priv yields the best PKB on any Android device ever birthed, I also acknowledge it falls short in meeting the standards of BlackBerry keyboards as a whole... When using the device fully erect in order to access the PKB it adds to the discomfort, making it an uneasy fit and not at all promoting that comfort and natural feel I get when I have my Classic, Q10, Q5, 9900, 9700/9780 etc in hand... The Passport's PKB was also awkward to use, but the keys at least were far better constructed. Yes I realize the slider form factor leaves not too much wiggle room for the PKB, this was a huge complaint of mine when attempting to use the Torch line as well... But even with the Torches, the PKB felt a little more comforting than what the Priv leaves behind...

I know BlackBerry is capable of doing better and am hoping the future will return what I desire most from the brand... A PKB built for the gods... Give me this and I will be beyond ecstatic for a lifetime... Give me another subpar, flaccid keyboard or random glass slab that looks like all the other 99.9% devices available out there however and I will be disappointed, devastated and eternally heartbroken...

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 10:20 AM
    Is definitely not the classic keyboard but for a slider blackberry did a great job? It takes time to get use to it but all in all it does the job well. Blackberry needs to launch a Android classic which will sell like hot cakes in my opinion.

I have a Priv and love the PKB but would be interested in an android version of the Classic. I have a family member who has a Classic and needs a phone that works with apps that are becoming tricky to use on BB10 and an android Classic would make a great Christmas gift. But then it would need to come out before the end of the year when whatsapp, for example, is supposedly no longer going to work on BB10.

Posted with my PRIV via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-05-16 12:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't even compare to all of the old keyboard phones, just being able to have physical keys at all for your muscle memory is an advantage over tapping glass.
    07-05-16 02:16 PM
    I agree, that the Priv needs a PKB. I do use it a lot otherwise it is a Z10 on Android. I want my Passport on Priv OS!

07-05-16 10:34 PM
    I used to have a BBOS 9810, and the keyboard was definitely smaller than the bold series, but very functional. I would say the same for the priv vs classic comparison.

07-06-16 01:11 AM
    I agree, that the Priv needs a PKB. I do use it a lot otherwise it is a Z10 on Android. I want my Passport on Priv OS!

That would be an Galaxy S III from 2012...
    07-06-16 06:12 AM
    I found the keyboard terrible on the Priv, nothing compares to the Passport keyboard imo.
    tg1 likes this.
    07-06-16 11:11 AM
    I would not have bought the Priv if it were not for the PKB and the Hub. I use the PKB a lot for long messages and emails. I have the Classic and had a Q10 too, as well as the Bold 9900 so a PKB is a must. It felt awkward initially but one day I was just flying on the keyboard. I had to adjust from the Q10 to the Classic too, so I figured after two weeks or so I should be fine and I was. I also owned the Z10 and have the Leap so am quite familiar with VKB. Just prefer PKB over the VKB and am thankful for the slider form factor where I can have the best of both words.

Posted via my Priv
    07-07-16 12:10 AM
32 12