Picked up my Priv yesterday (I have two lines so grabbed it as an upgrade on one) and have customized it to my liking...so far, so good. Still daily driving with my Passport though and swapping between the two just reinforces my opinion that BB10 OS is the best on the mobile market. I've been a dedicated BlackBerry user since the Curve 8300 and haven't looked back since. I've also never been much of an Android fan for mobile devices but I do recognize some of it's strengths and would put it ahead of iOS any day.

To spare everyone of an already long winded and probably unnecessary build up, what I've come to realize is nobody should have expectations of experiencing the same efficiency and control moving from a BB10 device to the Priv. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the device as I believe it is well made with specs to match anything on the market. However, existing Android users will not understand what a BlackBerry user like myself is saying if they haven't had the PRIVILEGE (see what I did there?!) of ever using a BB10 device and getting the full BlackBerry experience. A couple of examples (and questions really so if anyone has an answer, please chime in): include:

1) The ability to modify app permissions. Once you download from Play Store you're forced to accept permission settings or don't install at all. How can you modify permissions in Lollipop without rooting the device?

2) Native File Managing. Having to install apps like ES File Manager is a good option but kind of ridiculous.

3) Media Gallery. A simple icon called "Gallery" or even separate "Photos", "Videos" and "Music" icons would be just fine. I can't figure out how to access my media quickly and easily, any suggestions besides ES or any other app?

4) Changing notifications. A simple global change will do. However, even after modifying notifications in the device settings and via an individual app's settings, still I'm getting unwanted sound notifications from certain apps. Just want to see it, not hear it.

5) Media Card formatting. Just pop in a new card and let it format and create the directory structure. Neatly and nicely organized into folders with names that make sense.

These may seem as minor things to many people and I get that. However, these are just a few things that I was referring to with regards to the efficiency and control that BB10 OS provides. Again, I am in no way bashing the Priv and like the device. I hope it gets people talking. But when those people talk and spill the obvious "OMG! I can't believe it's a BlackBerry!" and they begin to fall in love with it, they will never truly understand what the real BlackBerry experience is like because they either never used a BB10 device OR they were former BlackBerry users that jumped ship pre-BB10, in either case they have become accustomed to what they feel is best and what others have falsely advised them to be the best or superior to.

People ask me all the time, "BlackBerry still? But they're going bankrupt/for sale/to fail so why don't you switch to something else?"... And my response is this: "If you owned a Ferrari but Ferrari stopped making cars, would you get rid of that beautiful, rare machine or drive around in it everyday knowing full well you can beat any of the more popular, common Toyotas that pull up beside you?"

Whether its Priv or Passport, the bottom line is......BlackBerry for life!

Posted via the CrackBerry App | Priv
    11-07-15 10:31 PM
    Picked up my Priv yesterday (I have two lines so grabbed it as an upgrade on one) and have customized it to my liking...so far, so good. Still daily driving with my Passport though and swapping between the two just reinforces my opinion that BB10 OS is the best on the mobile market. I've been a dedicated BlackBerry user since the Curve 8300 and haven't looked back since. I've also never been much of an Android fan for mobile devices but I do recognize some of it's strengths and would put it ahead of iOS any day.

To spare everyone of an already long winded and probably unnecessary build up, what I've come to realize is nobody should have expectations of experiencing the same efficiency and control moving from a BB10 device to the Priv. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the device as I believe it is well made with specs to match anything on the market. However, existing Android users will not understand what a BlackBerry user like myself is saying if they haven't had the PRIVILEGE (see what I did there?!) of ever using a BB10 device and getting the full BlackBerry experience. A couple of examples (and questions really so if anyone has an answer, please chime in): include:

1) The ability to modify app permissions. Once you download from Play Store you're forced to accept permission settings or don't install at all. How can you modify permissions in Lollipop without rooting the device?

2) Native File Managing. Having to install apps like ES File Manager is a good option but kind of ridiculous.

3) Media Gallery. A simple icon called "Gallery" or even separate "Photos", "Videos" and "Music" icons would be just fine. I can't figure out how to access my media quickly and easily, any suggestions besides ES or any other app?

4) Changing notifications. A simple global change will do. However, even after modifying notifications in the device settings and via an individual app's settings, still I'm getting unwanted sound notifications from certain apps. Just want to see it, not hear it.

5) Media Card formatting. Just pop in a new card and let it format and create the directory structure. Neatly and nicely organized into folders with names that make sense.

These may seem as minor things to many people and I get that. However, these are just a few things that I was referring to with regards to the efficiency and control that BB10 OS provides. Again, I am in no way bashing the Priv and like the device. I hope it gets people talking. But when those people talk and spill the obvious "OMG! I can't believe it's a BlackBerry!" and they begin to fall in love with it, they will never truly understand what the real BlackBerry experience is like because they either never used a BB10 device OR they were former BlackBerry users that jumped ship pre-BB10, in either case they have become accustomed to what they feel is best and what others have falsely advised them to be the best or superior to.

People ask me all the time, "BlackBerry still? But they're going bankrupt/for sale/to fail so why don't you switch to something else?"... And my response is this: "If you owned a Ferrari but Ferrari stopped making cars, would you get rid of that beautiful, rare machine or drive around in it everyday knowing full well you can beat any of the more popular, common Toyotas that pull up beside you?"

#3. QuickPic is great so download! Then delete Google Photos which is a BS app as trying to get you to use cloud

Yes "BlackBerry for Life" through good and bad!
    posted from my Priv!
    11-07-15 10:34 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is a straight to the point, no BS, mobile computing platform that completely nailed all the basic computing functionality, right out of the box. That's BlackBerry 10's strength, it puts everything important to the forefront. The only part is the 'apps' people all want. That's it. BlackBerry 10 is so functional, it is a little bit frustrating that other OS are all of an 'apps first' mentality.

I love my Priv, I really do, but I totally understand what you're saying. Good post.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 10:58 PM
    I really hope BlackBerry can port over or 'android' their awesome File Manager app. It is supremely useful. It should be apart of their app suite in the Play Store.

Posted via CB10
    DJM626 likes this.
    11-07-15 10:59 PM
    Agree with your post OP. I was experiencing the same while setting up the Priv for my wife. The price hardware is fantastic, and BlackBerry has put on some great additions to Android, but BB10 it's not. To bad that dual boot option was bogus. Having the option would have been great.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 09:11 AM
    Have similar questions to the OP, hopefully some more android-centric users will be able to provide some thoughts.

Bottom line, i miss some of the native OS features of BB10, as I am first and foremost an email/msging/get **** done person. But I also need about 10-20 core apps, and running some of the apks on my Q10 just didn't give the proper experience. Let's hope Priv can keep bridging the gap with updates.
    Mike Owsley likes this.
    11-08-15 09:19 AM

I can't say better. This is the BEST comment I have read about Priv. Truly truth.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 09:47 AM
    BlackBerry10 is, simply, the BEST mobile OS on the earth. Period.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 09:49 AM
    If I remember correctly from my days on Android, photos are in the DCIM folder.

As for file manager, I read that Marshmallow now has one native but you have you to dig to find it.

Also, more control over app permissions are with Marshmallow as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 10:03 AM
    Now that BlackBerry has initiated the transition to Android, does it really matter how BB10 does things? Even the executive who ran the Android development project over the past two years said that the Priv was designed to make the UI familiar to Android users. Most CrackBerrians seem to be dual-OS users who have either another smartphone or a tablet to close their personal app gap. In two years, using BlackBerry 10 will be the equivalent of using webOS.
    southlander likes this.
    11-08-15 10:10 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is a straight to the point, no BS, mobile computing platform that completely nailed all the basic computing functionality, right out of the box. That's BlackBerry 10's strength, it puts everything important to the forefront. The only part is the 'apps' people all want. That's it. BlackBerry 10 is so functional, it is a little bit frustrating that other OS are all of an 'apps first' mentality.

I love my Priv, I really do, but I totally understand what you're saying. Good post.

Posted via CB10
    ^^^^ THIS!

Apple and Google make money on media and App Store purchases. That's the whole business purpose of iOS and Android, so the OSes are designed to facilitate, and create incentives, to use third party apps. Users who like constant change and shopping for new stuff continuously are their best customers.

Blackberry designed an integrated OS that doesn't require Apps to function well for core functions. That's why it's so smooth, quick and effortless. BUT, they lacked the courage of their convictions to market it that way, and instead tried a weak "me too" app store strategy, which failed badly. Blackberry users, as a group, like stability, reliability and productivity. That's why we don't tend to like iOS and Android.

I still think Blackberry could establish a niche for BB10, but they would have to turn the app gap into a strength with better support for a handful of essential native apps that are fully integrated into the OS and a best in class browsing experience. They should position BB10 as the OS that just works, without REQUIRING third party apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 10:11 AM
    ^^^^ THIS!

Apple and Google make money on media and App Store purchases. That's the whole business purpose of iOS and Android, so the OSes are designed to facilitate, and create incentives, to use third party apps. Users who like constant change and shopping for new stuff continuously are their best customers.

Blackberry designed an integrated OS that doesn't require additional apps for core functions, such as file management. That's why it's so smooth, quick and effortless. BUT, they lacked the courage of their convictions to market it that way, and instead tried a weak "me too" app store strategy, which failed badly. Blackberry users, as a group, like stability, reliability and productivity. That's why we don't tend to like iOS and Android.

I still think Blackberry could establish a niche for BB10, but they would have to turn the app gap into a strength with better support for a handful of essential native apps that are fully integrated into the OS and a best in class browsing experience. They should position BB10 as the Smartphone OS that just works, without REQUIRING third party apps.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 10:13 AM
    I agree with everything here and really want to love the Priv. After my few days with it, I am thinking about returning it for all the reasons everyone here has pointed out. My Passport is SO intuitive to use and very computer like. For example, if I want to send several different files with an email, I simply hit the paper clip and navigate to each folder whether it be a photo, Word file, Dropbox file, etc. I can attach any file directly from that single email. Can't do that on the Priv from what I have experienced so far, even with ES explorers installed.

There is no native video player on the Priv.

I agree with the person who accurately pointed out that IOS and Android were built to make money on apps. My Passport was built to help me get things done...and it does..

I REALLY want to love the Priv and help Blackberry continue to move forward but I am afraid it is just too much of a step backwards for my work style.

While I am sure that BB can make the Priv experience better and more BB10 like, I am not sure they want to.

What to do, what to do.
    11-08-15 10:32 AM
    still think Blackberry could establish a niche for BB10, but they would have to turn the app gap into a strength with better support for a handful of essential native apps that are fully integrated into the OS and a best in class browsing experience. They should position BB10 as the OS that just works, without REQUIRING third party apps.
    So, they just split their sub 1% market-share in two by putting Android on their hot new device. Now you want BlackBerry to focus their resources on developing and maintaining alternatives to third party apps for the users who choose to shun their new Android devices?

The purpose of the shift to Android is to offer access to their party apps and you want BlackBerry to also go ahead and develop in-house alternatives to those apps? Do you understand that John Chen is trying to find a way to stay in the hardware business by cutting costs?
    11-08-15 11:24 AM
    Gee, I wonder why you haven't posted their response to this analogy.
    Blackberry is not the Ferrari of the smartphone world lol.
    11-08-15 11:37 AM
    Gee, I wonder why you haven't posted their response to this analogy.
    Blackberry is not the Ferrari of the smartphone world lol.
    I wonder why you take things literally and miss the context.

Posted via the Crackberry App | Passport
    11-08-15 01:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    All that straight to the point basic computing functionality lasted me all of 5 months on my Z30. As I found myself in situations that needed more info that the BB10 couldn't deliver (i.e., travel/airline apps, up-to-date native map, ride-share, FB, and on & on), the allure of BB10 became less & less. I want more & I want it all!

I understand completely from my own experience why BB10 lost so much marketshare. People want the whole enchilada. And like most people, I don't want to have to carry 2 phones to do it.
    11-08-15 01:43 PM
    So, they just split their sub 1% market-share in two by putting Android on their hot new device. Now you want BlackBerry to focus their resources on developing and maintaining alternatives to third party apps for the users who choose to shun their new Android devices?

The purpose of the shift to Android is to offer access to their party apps and you want BlackBerry to also go ahead and develop in-house alternatives to those apps? Do you understand that John Chen is trying to find a way to stay in the hardware business by cutting costs?
    I am not suggesting that they do that. I'm suggesting that they mispositioned BB10 by trying to follow Apple and Google's app strategy (which they could not do) instead of defining a third way and accepting a smaller market segment (but still bigger than what they now have) at the start. They should not have even tried to compete on app availability.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 02:53 PM