I have been using the Priv now for around 3 weeks, prior to this I have been mostly an iPhone user but have had spells using Android with an S5 and several spells with BB over the years including BB10 with the Z10, Z30 and most recently the Passport. It is fair to say that I am an Apple guy but I do have a big soft spot for Blackberry. I also had the Passport at the end of last year so my experience with BB10 is quite recent.

Firstly I really like the Priv, I have a good non-clicky one and it feels nice in the hand, the hub is better than I was expecting and in many ways it does feel like a Blackberry rather than a droid. Here though are my observations vs the iPhone 6s+, I realise there is not likely to be much Apple love on here and also a lot of my Priv gripes relate to Android rather than Blackberry. It is though I think a fair comparison as there will be a lot of people looking at the iPhone rather than Android, especially those deserting the sinking BB10 ship.

For the Priv

I like the hub, it is still a work in progress but despite it’s quirks there is nothing like it on iOS

The PKB is good, not passport good but pretty decent, I am also a fan of the BB soft keyboard. Typing on the Priv is much better for me than the iPhone IMO

I prefer the implementation of multi-tasking on the Priv vs the iPhone.

SD card - Great and the availability of files browsers also great. This is something that is really locked down on iOS

The LED!! Yes it is a small thing but being able to look over and see a green led and know that is a whatsapp is something I like. Small things as they say….

For the iPhone

Camera - No contest imo, especially in lower light. YMMV

Music - In-car. With the iPhone I plug it into my car and all of my albums artists playlists are there and can be controlled via the car UI. On the Priv I have to start the app and then can only go forward and backwards with the tracks. Fine if it was 2010 and no biggy really but still in-car the iPhone is better.

Music Headphones - Volume control Ahhh!!!!!!!

Fingerprint ID - Anybody who says this is just a gimmick IMO has not used it. I think Blackberry dropped the ball by leaving this out I really do

Overall slickness - The 6s+ is buttery smooth and has a premium feel that the Priv just cannot (IMO) match.

Apps - Last but not least. Pick almost any app and the iOS version is just slicker all round. I am also a user of Facebook and quite frankly Facebook is a car crash on the Priv and only works properly on wifi for me (This is probably not unique to the Priv). I have settled for Facebook lite which does the job but is pretty basic and of course has no hub integration.

When I used the Passport I thought the Android apps lacked that slickness because I was running Android on BB10 now though I think that the apps that do work on the BB10 run just as well as they do on the Priv.

As I type this I am back using my 6s+ maybe temporarily maybe not and I'm going to see how I feel. If anything my time with the Priv has made me appreciate the Passport more than I did when I had it.
    Last edited by neil74; 02-09-16 at 04:04 AM.
    02-09-16 03:41 AM
    Good balanced review and thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on the Priv.
    02-09-16 03:52 AM
    I don't know Facebook experience on I-phone, but I think on Android it is ok.

I aggre ont two point for sure :
    Led on Blackberry is so confortable
    volume control on Headphone miss on the Priv.

Just hope you will come back on the Dark soon
    neil74 likes this.
    02-09-16 04:29 AM
    I only use Bluetooth headphones but volume and music controls work fine. Maybe because it's over BT and not through the jack? I'll try to figure it out when I get home tonight.
    02-09-16 07:27 AM
    Android Bluetooth doesn't properly transmit AVRCP commands. Never has. The headphone's volume controls SHOULD control the volume on the PHONE; instead, on android, they're local and you have to set BOTH the media volume on the phone AND the headphones. That's broken but it's not Priv-specific, it's an Android flaw that goes back to the first versions of Android and was never addressed.

The Passport (and other BB10 handsets) did this right, Android has always (and still) does it wrong.
    02-09-16 07:31 AM
    The controls on Bluetooth do seem to work ok, it is just wired ones that do not. I have only tried Beats Studio though.
    02-09-16 08:57 AM
    Good, balanced post from someone who sounds exactly like me (except for the Android device history). I'm very interested in hearing reports on Priv ownership experience from members like the OP who have become iPhone users, and are looking to come back "home" to BlackBerry...possibly with the Priv.

So far, the only things that would keep me away are the seemingly sub-par music playback functionality & maybe the hardware quality "feel", since Apple has set the bar the highest in that regard...and I'm extremely picky about build quality.

Can anybody like that chime in?
    techvisor and neil74 like this.
    02-09-16 09:19 AM
    I agree with much of what the OP has to say.

As to music - if you use Google's Play Music app, control via Google Now is really effortless as well IMHO. You can upload your library to GPM and have it available anywhere you have the internet or with the Priv load it to the SD card, GPM can see it on the device. "OK Google play music Let it be by the Beatles" etc works wonderfully.
    neil74 and techvisor like this.
    02-09-16 09:38 AM
    I am lucky to have a creak free model but I am worried that over time the slider mechanism will not hold up.

Overall I expect the hub to get better and better, at least I hope it does and then there is of course 6.0 coming.

I am torn TBH there is a lot to like. If anything the experience has shown me that android apps on BB10 are actually not that bad I’d just forgotten that Android apps generally (not always) lack the polish that you see on iOS.
    02-09-16 09:38 AM
    Yeh I did upload all my music to GPM but will confess I do not use OK Google just as I have never really used Siri either.
    02-09-16 09:39 AM
    Yeh I did upload all my music to GPM but will confess I do not use OK Google just as I have never really used Siri either.
    I understand. I don't think it's intuitive to do so, and it can be frustrating at times and it just takes a few "no that's not what I said' to make the whole thing just too much trouble.

Still I want the Enterprise's computer. I have an Amazon Echo that works well and OK Google gets better all the time. I especially like it in the car as I don't want to be handling my phone while driving.

I think as Android Auto progresses and more cars support it, we'll get better service in that way.
    neil74 likes this.
    02-09-16 09:46 AM
    I have two beefs against the iPhone. I prefer the setup of having a apps open button and a back button. I would prefer the back button on the right.

My second beef is the lack of a larger font available on the browser. Internet browsing is better on BB10 and Android.

App slickness? It varies from app to app. I think that the Google Play store is better than iTunes.

Face time is terrific and works so well in our family . On the other hand some like Google Now.

Posted via CB10
    neil74 likes this.
    02-09-16 10:01 AM
    Good, balanced post from someone who sounds exactly like me (except for the Android device history). I'm very interested in hearing reports on Priv ownership experience from members like the OP who have become iPhone users, and are looking to come back "home" to BlackBerry...possibly with the Priv.

So far, the only things that would keep me away are the seemingly sub-par music playback functionality & maybe the hardware quality "feel", since Apple has set the bar the highest in that regard...and I'm extremely picky about build quality.

Can anybody like that chime in?
    Ill post a review in a week or so. I get my Priv today and will be switching from an iPhone 6. I am alittle worried about the switch, especially with my iMessage group chats. Also havent seen any video review where the Android lag wasnt apparent. But I promised myself I would give BB a try again if they ever went android.
    02-09-16 11:09 AM
    Love it or hate it, You can't beat the iphone for ease of use and "swiss watch" performance.
    02-09-16 11:28 AM
    I am lucky to have a creak free model but I am worried that over time the slider mechanism will not hold up.

Overall I expect the hub to get better and better, at least I hope it does and then there is of course 6.0 coming.

I am torn TBH there is a lot to like. If anything the experience has shown me that android apps on BB10 are actually not that bad I�d just forgotten that Android apps generally (not always) lack the polish that you see on iOS.
    I have heard this from others as well. If true what is the root cause?
    I guess I am asking to see if fundamentally android will not ever allow the possibility of the same 'Polish' with apps.?

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    02-09-16 12:03 PM
    Nice review. I use Metal app instead of the FB app, it's just better.

Posted via CrackBerry App from The Priv superphone
    02-09-16 12:35 PM
    Pretty fair review. Interesting perspective on the Android app experience compared to iOS (especially the facebook app). I'm not sure if the in-vehicle experience is fair to assume it's the same for all vehicles as I would imagine it would vary from one car's system to another (I see some car commercials specifically advertising that it supports Apple Play or whatever their system is called so it's obvious that the integration would be smoother/better on these specific ones).

In the end, there really is no perfect device and it's all about what matches most of your preferences and that's going to be different for everyone.
    TLD1 and techvisor like this.
    02-09-16 12:58 PM
    Well major problem for me is the volume level on my headphones and car Bluetooth. I don't why but the volume is way too low. Any suggestions on that?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-09-16 01:13 PM
    IMO a fair review and verdict. I have never used the iPhone but Neil74 has described the BlackBerry Priv Hub as much better than the IOS. This speaks volumes about hub although the Priv Hub is not even anywhere near to the BB10 Hub which is state of art IMHO.

Blackberry Priv on Etisalat 4G Network
    neil74 likes this.
    02-09-16 01:44 PM
    My thoughts
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1061548

neil74 likes this.
    02-09-16 01:54 PM
    My thoughts...

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/black...im-opfer?publi

02-09-16 01:59 PM
    Re headphones, I find that wired ones are quiet whereas on my beats at least despite showing maximum volume on screen that they will go louder, curious and maybe some ear police setting I have missed somewhere?

Re the hub, I love it I assume most on here do too, most of friends however actually like having messages on an app by app basis
    02-09-16 02:06 PM
    Re the hub, I love it I assume most on here do too, most of friends however actually like having messages on an app by app basis
    Part of the beauty of the HUB is the ability to very easily customize and filter certain things out if you don't want to see them. I assume that the Priv has the "Priority HUB" filter. Another great feature is the pinch to filter which is supposed to make its way over to the Android Hub (I'm pretty sure they confirmed this in the Reddit AMA)

Also, I'm going to start calling it the Hub for Android instead of for the Priv because that seems to be more appropriate with each step we take towards the future...
    02-09-16 06:09 PM