WTF do people want? To have dance party around the Priv? Do you want to wake the neighbours? Were you going to invite company over to watch a movie around the Priv?

Having stereo speakers 4 inches apart is the same thing as mono.

The real joke is that anyone who fancies themselves an audiophile, or even just someone who values the sound of quality speakers is _not_ going to listen to music on their phone speakers. If you enjoy great sound, you are going to use a decent set of head phones, or a stereo.

This is like buying a high end wrench, and then complaining that it is a lousy hammer. Use the right tool for the job.
    I want a speakerphone where I can hear the caller without holding the loudspeaker at full volume to me ear. Also, we're asking for decent. We're getting terrible. And for the price we should be getting top notch. The Leap has decent speakers and it's $275. The Leap speakers suck compared to my Passport. But it's definitely usable. It says a lot if I'd be happy with the speakers off of this $275 phone and can't get that quality from my $800 phone.

I'm not asking for Bose. I'm asking for usable. And it really isn't.

Posted via CB10
    ruhban likes this.
    11-09-15 10:40 PM
    The speaker is nice and loud sounds good for a cell phone. It blows away the iPhone in my opinion.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Anything is better than an iPhone. This is coming from somebody who's typing this on an iPhone 6s Plus. Apple can't seem to put. A decent speaker in anything. It's a screechy little bugger this one.
    11-09-15 10:44 PM
    I'm not asking for Bose. I'm asking for usable. And it really isn't. 0
    That sounds reasonable.

Though I would argue it is decent. But at the price point it is at, I can see wanting on par with the Z30 (which was really great). Point taken.

It is definitely loud enough for a house, but may not be good enough for a public play... speaker phone in a public place is like using a bluetooth headset in public 10 years ago IMHO.
    11-09-15 11:26 PM
    That sounds reasonable.

Though I would argue it is decent. But at the price point it is at, I can see wanting on par with the Z30 (which was really great). Point taken.

It is definitely loud enough for a house, but may not be good enough for a public play... speaker phone in a public place is like using a bluetooth headset in public 10 years ago IMHO.
    I'm really starting to believe my unit was defective.

N4BB video review at 4:30 they show off the speaker. From this video it seems like a perfectly Ok speaker. Not Bose, but absolutely usable. I'm going back to a store and testing the speakers on a demo unit. If it's as good as in this video I'm buying it again. But my last one was like half of that volume.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 11:39 PM
    There's nothing wrong with the speaker on my Priv. Sounds great for what it is. Seriously folks, what are you expecting? 7.1 surround, Bang & Olufsen (B&O PLAY by BANG & OLUFSEN - BeoPlay A2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker)?

High quality audio, for pretty much any mobile device, is going to come from an outside source like a bluetooth or audio jack connected speaker system. I know when I want to listen to my music, I use my Sony bluetooth stereo speaker or the Marley Get Together system.

I've been using my Priv at home over WiFi and watching hockey, random other multimedia, and I have zero beef with the speaker. It sounds great. BlackBerry has always put nice loud speaker(s) in their devices. Some BlackBerry speaker systems are better than others, but they're all way above average in my opinion.

Even my Leap sounds decent. HA!

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 11:54 PM
    No the Priv is not better, its not possible. The Priv has a mono speaker and the Z30 has stereo speakers.
    Yeah my Xperia Z3 has dual speakers too and they're junk. A quiet whisper is louder than they are. Hoping the Priv has a good speaker as it's the most important feature to me on a phone with the amount of music I listen to and how much I use Voxer throughout the day.
    11-10-15 12:19 AM
    There is a huge discrepancy in the sound level of notifications through the speaker and through my headphones. Through the headphones, when notifications are at maximum volume, the sound is deafening. Through the speaker, the notifications are just not loud enough. I'm assuming this can be fixed through a software update.
    11-10-15 12:36 AM
    There's nothing wrong with the speaker on my Priv. Sounds great for what it is. Seriously folks, what are you expecting? 7.1 surround, Bang & Olufsen (B&O PLAY by BANG & OLUFSEN - BeoPlay A2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker)?

High quality audio, for pretty much any mobile device, is going to come from an outside source like a bluetooth or audio jack connected speaker system. I know when I want to listen to my music, I use my Sony bluetooth stereo speaker or the Marley Get Together system.

I've been using my Priv at home over WiFi and watching hockey, random other multimedia, and I have zero beef with the speaker. It sounds great. BlackBerry has always put nice loud speaker(s) in their devices. Some BlackBerry speaker systems are better than others, but they're all way above average in my opinion.

Even my Leap sounds decent. HA!

Posted via CB10
    I think most people were expecting it to be really great because of the size of the speaker grill. Looking at it without hearing it you'd expect it to be awesome. We love to talk about how speaker clarity and stereo sound is important with Blackberry's last two flagship phones, the Z30 and the Passport, but now high quality audio doesn't mean anything because the Priv doesn't have it?

I'd completely disagree with you on the Leap. That is the worst sounding speaker Blackberry has ever produced and far below average.
    11-10-15 03:51 AM
    I think most people were expecting it to be really great because of the size of the speaker grill. Looking at it without hearing it you'd expect it to be awesome. We love to talk about how speaker clarity and stereo sound is important with Blackberry's last two flagship phones, the Z30 and the Passport, but now high quality audio doesn't mean anything because the Priv doesn't have it?

I'd completely disagree with you on the Leap. That is the worst sounding speaker Blackberry has ever produced and far below average.
    Donnation hit the point dead on. The speaker grill is deceiving. When you have experience such quality speakers from older devices like the Z30/Passport, it's a shame to take a step back when everything else is higher end.
    ruhban likes this.
    11-10-15 09:11 AM
    There is a huge discrepancy in the sound level of notifications through the speaker and through my headphones. Through the headphones, when notifications are at maximum volume, the sound is deafening. Through the speaker, the notifications are just not loud enough. I'm assuming this can be fixed through a software update.
    Agreed. I'm experiencing the same.

11-10-15 10:04 AM
    Ahh this really sucks. One of the most important features of a phone to me is how loud and clear it's speakers are...

Sent from my Passport
    11-10-15 11:36 PM
    I felt that way at first but then my speaker suddenly got louder after charging my phone. My battery was low at the time of the low volume so I think the phone went into a battery saving mode cutting the power output to the speaker.

11-11-15 04:54 PM
    My impression of the speaker is much better now.

11-11-15 04:55 PM
    Yes, "loud" is in the ear of the beholder. My mom thinks my stock stereo in my Dodge Magnum is too loud. My cousin thinks my 8 12" woofers in my Denali is not loud enough. And as far as correlated price to the loudness of a phone, is not good way to gauge. If audio was your main concern, some homework may have been in order. My Aston Martin DB9 has an absolutely terrible stereo in it. But i didn't return it solely because of it. To each his own.....
    11-11-15 05:11 PM
    Agreed. I'm experiencing the same.

Same here. It needs to be fixed immediately! Notifications are not loud enough.

11-11-15 06:38 PM
    Oops! I meant this post.

11-11-15 06:41 PM
    In my opinion, it's good, it's loud, but it's mono so does not provide the same quality of experience as my old Nexus 6.

11-12-15 04:33 AM
    Can anyone please compare the PRIV speaker with the Classic? Would be awesome!
    11-14-15 06:17 AM
    Speakers are not as loud as passport. But they have a good sound. However blackberry said extraordinary speakers ( not). Just being honest

11-14-15 08:14 AM
    I've tested side by side with my spare Q10 and notification sound level is pretty much identical to the sound on the Priv. So I can confidently say that you shouldn't expect to be blown away by the sound on this phone. Passport speakers reign supreme amongst all the existing Blackberries. Anyone says otherwise needs to get over that new device awe.
    11-14-15 11:37 AM
    The sound quality is amazing so far my favourite by far! However the volume is nowhere near the SE Passport or the Z30...

I'd trade the quality of sound for the amazing volumes of the other two I mentioned if I could...

Posted via Priv
    11-14-15 11:51 AM
    The sound quality is amazing so far my favourite by far! However the volume is nowhere near the SE Passport or the Z30...

I'd trade the quality of sound for the amazing volumes of the other two I mentioned if I could...

Posted via Priv
    The quality on the unit I had was terrible. Muffled and reverberating. I don't see how your claim is possible as the Priv is mono speaker and the Passport is stereo. In any case, my Priv sounded bad and my Passport is super clear as well as loud.

I feel as though BlackBerry knew Priv speakers were crap. It's why they only described the speakers as "brilliant" as opposed to mentioning the mono specification.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 02:32 PM
    I've tested side by side with my spare Q10 and notification sound level is pretty much identical to the sound on the Priv. So I can confidently say that you shouldn't expect to be blown away by the sound on this phone. Passport speakers reign supreme amongst all the existing Blackberries. Anyone says otherwise needs to get over that new device awe.
    Actually I gotta disagree. I put my passport side by side with my z30 and the z30 was noticeably louder. The passport sounded clearer, but imo it's not the loudest berry out there

Sent from my Passport
    11-19-15 10:25 PM
    My speaker has just started to act up with high background noise. And the headphones have always been much lower than my Z10.

I too am considering returning my PRIV and getting a Passport.

Proudly PRIVateering since 2015.
    11-20-15 06:31 AM
49 12