Hey folks,

Long time Blackberry user and Crackberry lurker. Thought I would finally signup and join the conversation.

I have owned a Blackberry since the Bold and every year have been the lone person in my work and social circles to own one. I love Blackberry hardware and software but the only thing missing for me was the access to apps, so this device seemed like the perfect one.

Here are my initial impressions:
    - Excellent hardware and I like the feel of the slider and both the screen and physical keyboard.
    - Completely confused by the Android software and customization even though I have a Samsung Android tablet. I am willing to learn.
    - Beautiful screen and apps work very well
    - Friends and coworkers are interested in the device after trying it for the first time since I owned my first Blackberry.

Helpful Tips and Tricks I Learned:
    - Reboot your device once after a day just to clear any weirdness out
    - Update all your Blackberry apps manually through the Play Store to make sure you have the latest
    - Turn on keyboard shortcuts for the home screen, very useful!
    - Delete and disable any bloatware or apps you don't want to save memory and battery and reduce unwanted notifications
    - Customize your default swipe gestures
    - Learn about some of the Android gestures for the browser and tabs to be more efficient. I changed Recents into tiles and changed my Chrome settings to combine tabs to keep my multitasker view cleaner.
    - Learn how to double tap the keyboard to get your cursor and then you can move it around. If you are in a form, you can double tap and then swipe down to tab down to the next field which is awesome!

That being said, this device has a long ways to go until I will be as happy with it as my Passport and I am hoping that is where you guys can help me

Questions for the Community:
    1. How do I put the phone into proper sleep mode/bedside mode? I would like to have an alarm set and have an easy way to turn off all sounds, LEDs, vibrations without going into airplane mode. Update: Thank you Jehalem! Turns out if you have a docking station you can turn on Daydream in Settings --> Display --> Daydream! Unfortunately I don't have a docking station and couldn't get it to work, but I found a way around this by turning off notifications and then clicking on the time from the home page to launch the clock, clicking the (...) in the top right corner and selecting Night Mode!
    2. I have my device encrypted and set up with a pin because of work requirements. When it has a PIN I can't seem to display a clock/the time and check the time in any way until I sign in with my passcode. How do I display the time on the lock screen? Update: I was able to get this to work by changing Settings --> Display --> Screen wakes to notifications. If you set it to PIN, the clock will never show up.
    3. Despite reinstalling and rebooting, the Hub does not sync my work email at all, or emails come in a day late despite manually refreshing and setting to push email. Even on my public Gmail and Outlook accounts it seems to be significantly delayed compared to my apps (5 Mins to an hour). Is there any way to fix this? Still looking for answer.
    4. Has Blackberry said when they are updating the Hub and/or apps next? If so where did they say that? Still looking for answer.
    5. How do I hide social media contacts from my Blackberry contacts? Still looking for answer.
    6. In the calendar, how do I completely remove accounts from showing up there? I set calendars not to sync in many of my accounts but they still show up in my calendar. Still looking for answer.
    7. How can you natively reply to text messages in the Hub? Still looking for answer.
    8. How can you hide the large circular avatars in the text messaging and contacts list with large capitals letters in them? Is there a simple/condensed list view? If not, what text messaging app is most like BB10? Still looking for answer.
    9. Is there a gesture to close an app while inside that app rather from tiled Recents view? Update: Not possible, but thanks Jehalem and lonestar, good ideas, you can get used to pressing the Recents button and then flicking the bottom right corner off.
    10. My battery is draining like crazy, losing maybe 20 percent per hour with normal use, no videos or calls, and Bluetooth off. I also try and keep only 2-4 apps open at one time. Sometimes I will even have it plugged in and it will still drain if I am using it while plugged in (not always). How can I prevent this from happening? I even have my screen brightness at the lowest. Update: I'm up to 11-12 hours now of regular use. I changed my sync settings to not sync forever and uninstalled any unneeded background apps.
    11. How do you rapid charge the device? Can you buy a rapid charger from Blackberry? If not, what charger will work and is good? Still looking for answer.
    12. NEW!!!! How do you get an app (Outlook in particular, but really any app has the same problem) to display the red notification star over the icon, but NOT play a notification sound or blink the LED?

Thank you in advance for your help. I will try to update this post with any answers so others can find with easy reference

Thank you Blackberry and Crackberry community

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by cmykink; 11-10-15 at 01:27 AM.
    11-08-15 07:48 PM
    P.S. I know it is a long post so even if you know the answer to only one question it would be greatly appreciated

lesarmitage likes this.
    11-08-15 10:29 PM
    I just figured out #1 today...

The key is Daydream mode running the clock in "Night mode". Night mode on the clock makes it dim, but doesn't do anything for the LED or notifications. Daydream mode takes care of launching the clock when placed on the charger (even with wireless charging), and also turns off all notifications except phone calls.

First enable "Daydream". Settings->Display->Daydream. Switch it to "on". And then select "Clock" as the app to run. Tap the gear icon next to Clock, and choose "Night mode".

Also under Settings->Display is the "Sleep" setting. I have mine for 30 sec. This will determine how long after you put the phone in the dock, before the Clock appears and the notifications turn off. For this we'd want it to be short, however this setting is also used to blank the screen when it's idle... like when we are reading something, so if it's too short it can be annoying.

Settings->Advanced Interactions->Hold-to-stay-awake. I had to turn this off. I think the upright orientation in my dock prevented it from going into Daydream mode.

So after all this, I just set my phone on my wireless charging stand, and in 30 seconds it goes into the nigh-mode clock, turning off my notifications (except calls). Love it.
    Lefty724 and lesarmitage like this.
    11-08-15 11:55 PM
    #9 - No. But closing from the Recents can still be pretty efficient, since you know the app you just used will be in the bottom right corner. So when you're in the app, to close it it's just:
    1. Press the square button (Recents), which is already at the bottom-right
    2. Then move thumb up just a bit and swipe right to flick the app off the screen.

It gets pretty fast after a while.
    11-09-15 12:08 AM
    I just figured out #1 today...

The key is Daydream mode running the clock in "Night mode". Night mode on the clock makes it dim, but doesn't do anything for the LED or notifications. Daydream mode takes care of launching the clock when placed on the charger (even with wireless charging), and also turns off all notifications except phone calls.

First enable "Daydream". Settings->Display->Daydream. Switch it to "on". And then select "Clock" as the app to run. Tap the gear icon next to Clock, and choose "Night mode".

Also under Settings->Display is the "Sleep" setting. I have mine for 30 sec. This will determine how long after you put the phone in the dock, before the Clock appears and the notifications turn off. For this we'd want it to be short, however this setting is also used to blank the screen when it's idle... like when we are reading something, so if it's too short it can be annoying.

Settings->Advanced Interactions->Hold-to-stay-awake. I had to turn this off. I think the upright orientation in my dock prevented it from going into Daydream mode.

So after all this, I just set my phone on my wireless charging stand, and in 30 seconds it goes into the nigh-mode clock, turning off my notifications (except calls). Love it.
    What kind of wireless charging stand are you using? I want to get one, but have no experience with them.
    11-09-15 09:49 AM
    #10...Did you also toggle off the adaptive brightness? I found that was a help, along with setting my email accounts to never sync and use push.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 10:09 AM
    You can swipe away 'recent' applications instead of hitting the 'x' to close them. Just swipe them right or left.

11-09-15 10:32 AM
    What kind of wireless charging stand are you using? I want to get one, but have no experience with them.
    I have a tylt for my Z30.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Charg...UvbUpU12061390
    11-09-15 10:53 AM
    Thank you all so much for your help I've updated some of the solutions I've found and your suggestions as well into the OP for anyone's reference Still looking for answers on a few more!
    lesarmitage and EdwinToureP like this.
    11-10-15 01:06 AM
    #11 Qmadix 4.4 amp block charger can charge three devices and is awesome. Check it out at shop crackberry.

lesarmitage likes this.
    11-10-15 05:15 AM
    2. I have my device encrypted and set up with a pin because of work requirements. When it has a PIN I can't seem to display a clock/the time and check the time in any way until I sign in with my passcode. How do I display the time on the lock screen? Update: I was able to get this to work by changing Settings --> Display --> Screen wakes to notifications. If you set it to PIN, the clock will never show up.
    In regards to this, I have my settings set to Settings > Display > Screen wakes to > Lock Screen Notifications, but still when double tapping or hitting the power button it will unlock the phone completely, rather than just displaying the time on the lock screen, as it would on BB10 when hitting the power button.

I have picture password set up to activate after 30 minutes. If I do Settings > Security > Power button instantly locks, then I can get the screen to display the clock when I double tap or hit the power button, BUT, only after I hit the power button to lock the phone in the first place, and not if the screen just powers off on its own. And also this then means that I need to enter my password each time upon waking after using this method.

Any suggestions on how to get it to show the clock/lockscreen after the screen goes black without needing to enter your password to unlock?
    11-25-15 06:33 PM
    Why do you need to 'close' apps? The whole point of having 3GB of ram is that apps can be held in it instead of having to load them from storage? I believe the whole battery usage thing has been debunked, and background services will still even if the app is closed, you have to actually 'stop' the application?

I've been using Android for 5 years and never both closing applications unless the application itself is crashing.
    11-26-15 11:13 AM
    Also, With regards to #4, I don't think they've said, but there's already been a couple of updates, I'd expect regular updates to continue, but I wouldn't expect a defined roll-out plan or road map. Android tends to encourage regular updating of smaller components, which is most likely why Blackberry released the apps separately rather than rolling them into the OS; it allows them to be updated regularly without having to release full OS updates. This is also why Google Play Services is an 'app' on the play store, so that Google can make regular updates and fixes to it's back end, without having to deploy new versions of Android.
    11-26-15 11:28 AM
    Hey folks,

Long time Blackberry user and Crackberry lurker. Thought I would finally signup and join the conversation.

I have owned a Blackberry since the Bold and every year have been the lone person in my work and social circles to own one. I love Blackberry hardware and software but the only thing missing for me was the access to apps, so this device seemed like the perfect one.

Here are my initial impressions:
    - Excellent hardware and I like the feel of the slider and both the screen and physical keyboard.
    - Completely confused by the Android software and customization even though I have a Samsung Android tablet. I am willing to learn.
    - Beautiful screen and apps work very well
    - Friends and coworkers are interested in the device after trying it for the first time since I owned my first Blackberry.

Helpful Tips and Tricks I Learned:
    - Reboot your device once after a day just to clear any weirdness out
    - Update all your Blackberry apps manually through the Play Store to make sure you have the latest
    - Turn on keyboard shortcuts for the home screen, very useful!
    - Delete and disable any bloatware or apps you don't want to save memory and battery and reduce unwanted notifications
    - Customize your default swipe gestures
    - Learn about some of the Android gestures for the browser and tabs to be more efficient. I changed Recents into tiles and changed my Chrome settings to combine tabs to keep my multitasker view cleaner.
    - Learn how to double tap the keyboard to get your cursor and then you can move it around. If you are in a form, you can double tap and then swipe down to tab down to the next field which is awesome!

That being said, this device has a long ways to go until I will be as happy with it as my Passport and I am hoping that is where you guys can help me

Questions for the Community:
    1. How do I put the phone into proper sleep mode/bedside mode? I would like to have an alarm set and have an easy way to turn off all sounds, LEDs, vibrations without going into airplane mode. Update: Thank you Jehalem! Turns out if you have a docking station you can turn on Daydream in Settings --> Display --> Daydream! Unfortunately I don't have a docking station and couldn't get it to work, but I found a way around this by turning off notifications and then clicking on the time from the home page to launch the clock, clicking the (...) in the top right corner and selecting Night Mode!
    3. Despite reinstalling and rebooting, the Hub does not sync my work email at all, or emails come in a day late despite manually refreshing and setting to push email. Even on my public Gmail and Outlook accounts it seems to be significantly delayed compared to my apps (5 Mins to an hour). Is there any way to fix this? Still looking for answer.
    4. Has Blackberry said when they are updating the Hub and/or apps next? If so where did they say that? Still looking for answer.
    5. How do I hide social media contacts from my Blackberry contacts? Still looking for answer.
    6. In the calendar, how do I completely remove accounts from showing up there? I set calendars not to sync in many of my accounts but they still show up in my calendar. Still looking for answer.
    7. How can you natively reply to text messages in the Hub? Still looking for answer.
    8. How can you hide the large circular avatars in the text messaging and contacts list with large capitals letters in them? Is there a simple/condensed list view? If not, what text messaging app is most like BB10? Still looking for answer.
    9. Is there a gesture to close an app while inside that app rather from tiled Recents view? Update: Not possible, but thanks Jehalem and lonestar, good ideas, you can get used to pressing the Recents button and then flicking the bottom right corner off.
    10. My battery is draining like crazy, losing maybe 20 percent per hour with normal use, no videos or calls, and Bluetooth off. I also try and keep only 2-4 apps open at one time. Sometimes I will even have it plugged in and it will still drain if I am using it while plugged in (not always). How can I prevent this from happening? I even have my screen brightness at the lowest. Update: I'm up to 11-12 hours now of regular use. I changed my sync settings to not sync forever and uninstalled any unneeded background apps.
    11. How do you rapid charge the device? Can you buy a rapid charger from Blackberry? If not, what charger will work and is good? Still looking for answer.
    12. NEW!!!! How do you get an app (Outlook in particular, but really any app has the same problem) to display the red notification star over the icon, but NOT play a notification sound or blink the LED?

Thank you in advance for your help. I will try to update this post with any answers so others can find with easy reference

Thank you Blackberry and Crackberry community

Samsung adaptive rapid charger awesome and works like a charm.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    Pankaj Jaju likes this.
    11-27-15 12:22 AM
    Thank you all so much for your help I've updated some of the solutions I've found and your suggestions as well into the OP for anyone's reference Still looking for answers on a few more!
    That's pretty cool. I a glad to you. Is there a software like BlackBerry blend but for Android smartphones? And it is possible to install DTEK on another android device?
    03-11-16 02:51 AM