Before the MM update the phone was constantly hot and the battery would not last more than 8 hours with minimal use. It was obvious there was some kind of software bug that was just spinning the processor.

Now that the OS has been updated to MM, the battery lasts longer and the phone is OK when not in use. However with any slight use it still gets super hot!

Anyone else seeing this with MM update? It's gotten to such an issue for me I'm thinking of jumping ship.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-27-16 11:06 PM
    confirmed, but the heat mightve been caused by the back material, which ironically also super comfy

my gripe is more on the contact reliability, most of the times can't find contacts which are clearly saved on my Google acct, this is super annoying to me, this happens only after MM

FYI am using the att variant and manually updated it to MM

07-27-16 11:28 PM
    Use mine all the time, and no heat issues at all. Battery lasts easily a full 12 hours or more.

No MM though, since I'm on Verizon. Plus I have no social media apps, so maybe that's it.
    andy957 likes this.
    07-27-16 11:39 PM
    I had bad heat issues until the MM update. Then none.

I think after MM if you have a heat issue you need to factory reset. The hardware is well vetted in many types of phones. It has to be a defect or some app/firmware glitch that is keeping the CPU or modem in a working state.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    jezy1m3rchant likes this.
    07-27-16 11:44 PM
    I haven't updated to MM yet and I don't have a heat issue.

Well the weather is very hot this time of year. My Priv is okay.

artemis-kun likes this.
    07-28-16 12:02 AM
    Hahahahh!

Yes, it is summer in the northern hemisphere.

Good one.

Bucky2016 likes this.
    07-28-16 12:21 AM
    I did see a return of heat warnings since the July update, I've reported them to BSR. Prior updates were better.
    Johnnymac10462 likes this.
    07-28-16 06:48 AM
    Perform a security wipe and reload your apps. It helps.

07-28-16 07:34 AM
    Before MM update, I had no heat issues. After MM, ive been have lots of heat issues. Its been so upsetting lately
    07-28-16 07:36 AM
    Before MM update, I had no heat issues. After MM, ive been have lots of heat issues. Its been so upsetting lately
    This is more directed at everyone with MM who might be able to answer. I'm with Verizon and so, still on LL.

Could it be that MM has added a heat sensor or detector and that the phone is not really running hotter but that there's now a process that identifies it, throws up the message "turning things down to cool phone" (I don't know what it really prompts)?

I really don't notice that my Verizon LL Priv runs hot. Yes, occasionally, it feels warmer. But I probably also don't run that many apps that really throttle the processor up. No real games.
    07-28-16 08:42 AM
    This is more directed at everyone with MM who might be able to answer. I'm with Verizon and so, still on LL.

Could it be that MM has added a heat sensor or detector and that the phone is not really running hotter but that there's now a process that identifies it, throws up the message "turning things down to cool phone" (I don't know what it really prompts)?

I really don't notice that my Verizon LL Priv runs hot. Yes, occasionally, it feels warmer. But I probably also don't run that many apps that really throttle the processor up. No real games.
    Thing is, that message basically indicates your phone is throttling. Since my July update I've seen it throttling to the point where Bluetooth audio becomes choppy and GPS lagging. Either the throttling threshold needs to be further tweaked, or there's a real leak in performance.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-28-16 08:50 AM
    My phone only heats up when playing any game longer than 10 mins or using GPS for directions

Posted via the Priv for Android
    07-28-16 10:59 AM
    Picked up my Priv on Amazon's Prime Day and have been using it since. I have it updated to MM and found that it does get very warm (hot in some cases) when either using the phone(using the camera for an extended period of time, certain apps) or when charging.

I'm wondering if I have a lemon? I've owned one previously and found it didn't get as hot as this one. Build date appears be 220416 so it's from a newer batch.
    07-28-16 11:31 AM
    I doubt you have a lemon to be honest. The chip that the Priv uses is just a hot running chip by nature. If you've updated to Marshmallow, then you are running as cool as you can. Maybe future updates might help, hard to say.

07-28-16 12:54 PM

No, it's a basic Android function that has existed for Android phones for as long as I'm aware of. It's just that not until fairly recently have we cranked up the power of these SoCs we put in phones now to the point where it's something that is actually being encountered. Apple devices also have this overheat protection, and the same kind of message appears on those devices when they get too hot, such as charging while out in the open sun. Not that I've personally had it happen, since I prefer berries to apples, but I've seen it happen to iphone users. I'd even wager that WP devices have the same kind of protection. Basically, it's there to both make sure your SoC doesn't melt, and, far more importantly, that your battery doesn't explode, cuz lithium will explode over certain temp limits.
    07-28-16 01:25 PM
    I doubt you have a lemon to be honest. The chip that the Priv uses is just a hot running chip by nature. If you've updated to Marshmallow, then you are running as cool as you can. Maybe future updates might help, hard to say.

Just curious as to what people mean when they say that they have no heat issues with the Priv. Are they saying it doesn't get hot or that it does, but it's expected? I have another two weeks before my return period ends and am wondering whether to return it and wait for the rumoured Argon (PKB isn't that important to me, but I really like the Hub and the fairly stock nature of BB's Android).
    07-28-16 01:36 PM
    I would bet that with MM BB did CPU throttling, or at least tweaked the CPU throttling.
    The Sony Z3v I have until BB on VZW gets MM, heats up too, if it is hot outside the camera will not work on the Sony, says camera needs to cool down.
    07-28-16 01:47 PM
    I would bet that with MM BB did CPU throttling, or at least tweaked the CPU throttling.
    The Sony Z3v I have until BB on VZW gets MM, heats up too, if it is hot outside the camera will not work on the Sony, says camera needs to cool down.
    Just to clarify before misinformation is spread, CPU throttling as overheat protection has existed on Android devices since at least Android 4.x with my experiences, and likely since before then as a best practice thing regardless. So, this isn't unique to BB or new to MM. In fact, older devices I've had would actually vary the CPU throttle at all times depending on how hot the phone gets, regardless of whether the phone is approaching the overheat zone or not. I'm looking at you, LG.
    andy957 likes this.
    07-28-16 02:27 PM
    Actually I believe it was back as far as Eclair (I know Eclair 2.1 and Froyo 2.2) on the Moto Droid 1, a Dev came up with a way to access it, you could flash a kernel zip through CWM to control your CPU voltage and throttle level.
    It was a novel idea, I used it in the beginning when bootloaders were unlocked and you could flash custom ROMs, it made the phone run cooler and battery last longer.
    artemis-kun likes this.
    07-28-16 03:26 PM
    Mine used to heat up like mad over just Web browsing, I never got an over heating message or anything though. After updating to MM (at+t unlocked version) not only was my battery life suddenly excellent but also the heat problem is basically a non-issue for me. The phone is great now, no gripes at all other than the one time my screen went weird until I tore off the back and unplugged the battery, thanks to there being no real way to shut off power completely. So far so good though!
    07-28-16 03:43 PM
    I do not have a heat issue. Using MM and have had the Priv since December. Occasionally it will get warm but nothing like hot as many have reported. Nor have I had battery issues. I can easily get through the day. Occasionally I am surprised by a low battery at the end of the day and a reset puts everything back to normal. I suspect it is an ap that I havent closed but haven't figured it out. Overall, great phone. Very pleased.

Brian

07-28-16 04:11 PM
    Yeah I think it is established that the heat issue, at LEAST since the MM update, is not an issue for most phones.

My Priv stays very cool. Cooler than my Note 4 and cooler than my Passport.

07-28-16 04:28 PM
    I experienced a lot of heat after upgrading to mm but now my Priv does not get hot anymore, I simply love the device now

07-28-16 04:31 PM
    I'm on MM, was hoping it would fix my heat and battery issues. No such luck. This phone gets smoking hot to the touch, especially if playing games, etc...
    Here's today's battery pic...

Attached Thumbnails Priv Heat issue is REAL-31350.jpg  
    nyplaya610 likes this.
    07-28-16 05:14 PM
    Curious, have you done a factory reset since MM?

07-28-16 06:23 PM
52 123