I saw multiple posts of priv having gps issue which I have encountered as well and getting worst lately. Unfortunately my priv is out of warranty and I don't have insurance on my att account, so I can't get cheap replacement option.

With that said, anyone can tell me where the gps module/antenna is located at on the priv? I can open the back door and exposed all the modules (tear down) but not sure which one is the gps. Maybe I can clean the contacts or something.
    12-17-16 09:03 AM
    I saw multiple posts of priv having gps issue which I have encountered as well and getting worst lately. Unfortunately my priv is out of warranty and I don't have insurance on my att account, so I can't get cheap replacement option.

With that said, anyone can tell me where the gps module/antenna is located at on the priv? I can open the back door and exposed all the modules (tear down) but not sure which one is the gps. Maybe I can clean the contacts or something.
    I don't know the answer but there are a few youtubes videos of taking apart the Priv. One may show where the antenna is located.
    12-17-16 09:36 AM
    If you plan on opening it, would it not makes sense to go ahead clean everything?
    12-17-16 10:22 AM
    Why do you need a replacement for one component? I'm sure you can get it fixed for a much cheaper price from BlackBerry Service rather than getting the entire phone replaced? Or is that not how it works in the US?
    12-17-16 11:14 PM
    Why do you need a replacement for one component? I'm sure you can get it fixed for a much cheaper price from BlackBerry Service rather than getting the entire phone replaced? Or is that not how it works in the US?
    I'm not aware that we can send blackberry can do service, can they?
    12-18-16 01:22 AM
    That's how it works when you want something fixed. I've done it for all my phones. That's also how warranty works. If somethings wrong they fix it and send you back the same phone. Only if they can't fix it they replace your phone. When you phoned is out of warranty you pay for that component to be fixed (Broken screen, non working camera, damaged mother board). Atleast that's how it works over here in India and also my purchases from Dubai.
    12-18-16 02:57 AM
    You can send in to BB N America for repair after warranty, I suspect it's quite expensive.
    Also note that repair currently has a tremendous backlog, 3 1/2 to 4 weeks for warranty repairs, I'm assuming they take care of warranty first, so I shudder to think how long a non warranty repair might take.
    That tells me there are an awful lot of defective Priv's, kinda scary.
    12-18-16 06:22 AM
    You can send in to BB N America for repair after warranty, I suspect it's quite expensive.
    Also note that repair currently has a tremendous backlog, 3 1/2 to 4 weeks for warranty repairs, I'm assuming they take care of warranty first, so I shudder to think how long a non warranty repair might take.
    That tells me there are an awful lot of defective Priv's, kinda scary.
    Yes I called earlier to BB...and they said if it's out of warranty repair.. $270!!!! Jeez, it's almost like buying a new one.

Here's what I'm talking about when it comes to gps signal..side by side
    Attached Thumbnails priv GPS module?-191548.jpg  
    12-19-16 09:08 AM
    Yes I called earlier to BB...and they said if it's out of warranty repair.. $270!!!! Jeez, it's almost like buying a new one.

Here's what I'm talking about when it comes to gps signal..side by side
    And you were outside and gave it sufficient time to try finding a lock? Inside, depending on building or even windshield composition, signals can be blocked.
    12-19-16 09:48 AM
    This is guesswork, but it appears the device is getting some satellite signal, just not enough to do anything with.
    You mentioned earlier, taking the back off, why not do so? Clean every contact in there. It's out of warranty so it can't hurt, assuming you are careful.
    12-19-16 11:27 AM
    This is guesswork, but it appears the device is getting some satellite signal, just not enough to do anything with.
    You mentioned earlier, taking the back off, why not do so? Clean every contact in there. It's out of warranty so it can't hurt, assuming you are careful.
    Yeah I need to do that. Called BlackBerry and they asked me to reload the OS. Not sure if that's going to help I will try.....
    12-19-16 08:32 PM
    Yeah I need to do that. Called BlackBerry and they asked me to reload the OS. Not sure if that's going to help I will try.....
    Of course as expected, reload OS didn't make a difference neither cleaning the contacts.
    12-20-16 01:02 AM
    I would suggest replacing the back cover all together. It costs only ~$30 from ebay and takes the guesswork out of the questions.

I recently replaced mine due to various issues, one of them being very weak GPS signal. The phone had a hard time finding satellite signals and when it does the SNR was terrible. It was so bad that 95% of the time, Google Map navigation was useless.

After putting on the new cover, the phone is able to pick up signals immediately with enough SNR for location service to work.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-10-17 04:11 AM
    I would suggest replacing the back cover all together. It costs only ~$30 from ebay and takes the guesswork out of the questions.

I recently replaced mine due to various issues, one of them being very weak GPS signal. The phone had a hard time finding satellite signals and when it does the SNR was terrible. It was so bad that 95% of the time, Google Map navigation was useless.

After putting on the new cover, the phone is able to pick up signals immediately with enough SNR for location service to work.
    Glad you got it working.

Actually, I don't recall the location of the gps antenna/unit but it appears that it is in the back cover??? Did you use any site's video or pictures to find it?
    01-10-17 08:38 AM
    Glad you got it working.

Actually, I don't recall the location of the gps antenna/unit but it appears that it is in the back cover??? Did you use any site's video or pictures to find it?
    I don't know which antenna is gps. I tried finding the info but couldn't see any. My guess would be that the one above the power button is for GPS.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-10-17 12:56 PM
    This is interesting. My girlfriends priv lost gps recently thought it software. But when using bbve gps test only picks up one sat red signal. If I do the test and gently squeeze the back in the middle of the phone boom all kinds of satellites in yellow and green. May try a new back if I can find a Verizon version. Thanks for the info

Posted via CB10
    02-02-17 04:52 PM
    Alright found att version of back door. It has wireless charging. Does anyone know if the att version works on a Verizon model phone? If so that would be great I don't mind if it has att logo as long as it works

Posted via CB10
    02-02-17 05:35 PM
    You might try cleaning the antenna contacts, and maybe bending them a little to make better contact.
    I'm guessing that since freqs are a bit different, the AT&T would not be ideal.
    02-02-17 08:01 PM