Love my 1 month old Priv....but 1 aggravation. I take lots of pics that I need to store to external card, then edit and upload to website but Android won't allow me to Write to the external card. My Passport allowed this, why not android. Is there a fix for this?

Posted via CB10
    04-22-17 02:15 PM
    Which app are we talking about? You have to allow it to write to the card.
    04-22-17 02:19 PM
    Thanks M, I'm no geek for sure and I was thinking that I have missed a Simple solution. Happy to know that it's possible, will dig into Settings!

Posted via CB10
    04-22-17 02:30 PM
    Love my 1 month old Priv....but 1 aggravation. I take lots of pics that I need to store to external card, then edit and upload to website but Android won't allow me to Write to the external card. My Passport allowed this, why not android. Is there a fix for this?

Posted via CB10
    As Mirko noted, you may need to grant the editing app Permission.

Main Settings, Apps, find the app, Tap Permissions and see what's what.
    04-22-17 02:36 PM
    I went into Device Settings>Storage & USB......choose Internal or SANDISK -64 (my External SD). There are 3 choices for Sandisk-64: Eject, Format or Format as Internal Storage! I clicked on last choice which brings up Info.....which states that if I Format as Internal Storage, I will Not Be Able To Use The Disk Anywhere But In This Device!!!

I've been poking around in google play seeing several apps that will Over ride the restriction Marshmellow has preventing write privileges on External cards......but after reading 'fine print' they only can do this if they have Root Access! Since Priv prevents root access, I didn't bother downloading the apps (to see If they would work).

The USB & Storage shows the External SD card but I don't see any setting to change it's Read Only status!

So, for now, my workaround is to set up an FTP Server and transfer pics to laptop to edit them.....a real pain. I had 40GB of photos on the ext card but deleteted 35GB, leaving important pics.

there must be a way to change privileges to the Ext SD! ???

Posted via CB10
    04-22-17 03:45 PM
    There is another option and that is to put most of my image files on a SD card and connect via OTG cable which the phone sees as a USD device and it Does allow Write Privileges!
    Not a perfect solution but it will do....for now.

Priv is Awesome!

Posted via CB10
    04-22-17 04:05 PM
    I went into Device Settings>Storage & USB......choose Internal or SANDISK -64 (my External SD). There are 3 choices for Sandisk-64: Eject, Format or Format as Internal Storage! I clicked on last choice which brings up Info.....which states that if I Format as Internal Storage, I will Not Be Able To Use The Disk Anywhere But In This Device!!!

I've been poking around in google play seeing several apps that will Over ride the restriction Marshmellow has preventing write privileges on External cards......but after reading 'fine print' they only can do this if they have Root Access! Since Priv prevents root access, I didn't bother downloading the apps (to see If they would work).

The USB & Storage shows the External SD card but I don't see any setting to change it's Read Only status!

So, for now, my workaround is to set up an FTP Server and transfer pics to laptop to edit them.....a real pain. I had 40GB of photos on the ext card but deleteted 35GB, leaving important pics.

there must be a way to change privileges to the Ext SD! ???

Posted via CB10
    You know you can save new photos directly to the card from within Camera Settings. If they are saved there, then the internal editor should be able to handle them. Is that the problem?

What is the name of the app you are using to edit your photos? That's the app you need to find to edit.
    04-22-17 04:18 PM
    Issue sounds familair somehow. /blackberry-priv-f440/sd-card-vanished-1092301/ Might help.
    04-22-17 04:21 PM
    The photo edit/resize apps don't have permission setting options....the problem is Android! Google has made it nearly impossible to have free Write privileges to external SD cards in MM! The link has Excellent info and I have verified most all of it. The Info page for Format ext card as Internal memory does say that all files will be lost.....back up first! I have a 16GB card that I will copy to laptop and then I will see if my Internal Memory is increased by 16GB. Will do this shortly.

Many will think this bizarre but....this: apple does Not allow SD cards in their iDevices and I think the reason is they want users to store all their photos and files on iCloud so they can harvest and sell info! I think google was late to this party but has applied a fix that is to their advantage because ppl will just give up with their own storage and opt for....google drive or whatever they call their cloud! Big money in personal data and photos, apparently!

That link saved a lot of time, thanks again!
    I still have a passport and a Leap....no way will I part with either of them.

So I think they have blocked all easy options for storage so I'll just be content with something that kinda works efficiently and move on.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-17 05:27 PM
    Wow, installed 16GB sd card...Format as Internal Memory and it worked......sorta!

Device Storage: 6.3gb used of 38.5GB!!!
    Internal storage: 6.3gb used of 23.8gb
    Lexar sd card: 37MB used of 14.7GB

Well...it is true what others in the link reported:
    Internal storage: free 17gb/ 24gb total
    /Root: " same. " same!
    The file manager (X-plore) is not showing the additional 14.7gb!

Will move some files and apps onto the Lexar sd and see what happens...

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    04-22-17 06:04 PM
    The photo edit/resize apps don't have permission setting options....the problem is Android! Google has made it nearly impossible to have free Write privileges to external SD cards in MM!
    No, the problem is the app you're using. Try this for example, it will very well give you the option to save to SD:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rge.opencamera

As do many file managers and other apps. Android did make it harder to get permissions to save to SD, but it's because of security (or so they say) and it's not impossible or blocked, just requires a few extra lines of code.

Btw, I really don't see how formatting the card as Internal Storage will help you. You do realize that in that case the card is not readable if you take it out of your phone? File Managers on the phone will not show that storage as additional space, it will be the only space once you transfer things to it. Only apps can then be used on the real internal storage.
    04-23-17 02:47 AM
    I have my 129gb Samsung card enabled as internal memory on my PRIV and works perfectly. On my card have moved apps that allow it and set up that ALL media is saved under card. Works perfectly and keeps all media off internal memory of PRIV which can sometimes under Android affects speed of devices. With File Manager by Asus have full access to my card. Have set up like this from Day 1 and my PRIV super smooth.
    04-23-17 03:53 AM
    I have my 129gb Samsung card enabled as internal memory on my PRIV and works perfectly. On my card have moved apps that allow it and set up that ALL media is saved under card. Works perfectly and keeps all media off internal memory of PRIV which can sometimes under Android affects speed of devices. With File Manager by Asus have full access to my card. Have set up like this from Day 1 and my PRIV super smooth.
    Interesting... You're the first person I see around here that is actually happy with adoptable storage.
    My card is too slow so I couldn't properly try it out myself.
    04-23-17 04:13 AM
    Interesting... You're the first person I see around here that is actually happy with adoptable storage.
    My card is too slow so I couldn't properly try it out myself.
    I installed a good quality card Samsung U3 Class 10 and from day 1 as adoptable storage. I really think this has been key in not experiencing any issues. The speed of the card is perfect for opening apps stored on it.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 04:23 AM
    I installed a good quality card Samsung U3 Class 10 and from day 1 as adoptable storage. I really think this has been key in not experiencing any issues. The speed of the card is perfect for opening apps stored on it.

Posted via CB10
    My card is a UHS 1, the cheapest I could find as I was planning to just use it for music and some videos. When formatted as external storage it can even be used to record 4K video with no issues, but when formatted as internal, its speed drops to around a quarter of the usual so it's simply too slow for normal usage. In fact, the phone freezes when trying to format it as internal storage.
    04-23-17 04:48 AM
    My card is a UHS 1, the cheapest I could find as I was planning to just use it for music and some videos. When formatted as external storage it can even be used to record 4K video with no issues, but when formatted as internal, its speed drops to around a quarter of the usual so it's simply too slow for normal usage. In fact, the phone freezes when trying to format it as internal storage.
    Yes to combine with internal memory seems it does require a fast card. This way you can store all your media and also apps.

Posted via PRIV and or PASSPORT SE
    Mirko935 likes this.
    04-23-17 12:25 PM
    There are app restrictions for 3rd party file manager systems, I haven't figure how to force grant access (yet the app is okayed for access), but I found a way around this. When you're in the Downloads preview; long press highlight your recent download, option°°°, copy to..., choose SD Card.

Large SD Cards file sizes and post Android 5.0 prevent moving files directly to the SD Card mobility. Though you can just pull it out and do it on a computer. These steps restrict that 007 moment you need to transfer larger amount of files an iPhone impossiblely couldn't do without it's iTunes.

FYI: "SanDisk Ultra 256GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Card"
    05-28-17 03:42 AM
    I just figured out how to grant access to grant the beeded permission via "FX File Explorer".

In the app; Home> Media Card, click option°°°, Enable Write Access, next arrow, click on your SD Card choice (root area in this case means general location or specific sub folder) , press 'select'. Done. You can move files freely.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...?id=nextapp.fx
    You don't have to, but I use FX File Explore (Plus Add-On)
    Let's you cloud connect Drive, Drop Box, and Window Host (SMB) aka connect and transfer files of your computer drives without cords though so far only did this pre-Windows 10.
    05-28-17 04:09 AM
    Hope I'm not chiming in too late here - Undo the 'format as internal.
    If anything happens to to card, your phone won't work correctly, and, anything and everything on the SD will be forever lost. And a lot can happen to the card, people have lost everything due to a 'hiccup' during an update. The card must remain forever in the phone and can't be used anywhere else. It cannot be read by another device, (computer) unless it's in the phone.
    One guy even had his phone ran over by a car, SD was not hurt at all, but since it could only be used in the device it was originally formatted it, all the data that was still on the card is forever unaccessible.
    If your card is over 32GB you have to download the microsoft/BB exfat drivers before you can use it.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ry.exfat&hl=en
    Then go to your app settings, scroll down to your camera app, make sure it has permission to use storage, repeat for editing and gallery app(s).
    Close out of settings, open your camera app, somewhere in the camera settings the will be an option to save your photo's and videos on SD card, may say media card, make sure that is on.
    You should now be good to go.
    Your editing app is most likely storing whatever you do right back in the same file as the original, if camera is not storing in SD, then thats your biggest, and prob only, problem.

And undo that internal memory set up as fast as you can. Your SD is going to fail, it may be 10 years from now or it may be next week. If it's set as external, you at least have a chance to recover some of whats on it. Most of the problems with using it as internal are't even related to card failure, but loss of encryption key. Even just removing the card and reinserting can and has caused encryption failure, then you are left with a perfectly good card, with perfectly good data, that you cannot access.
    05-28-17 07:49 AM
    My problem is getting my photos to automatically download to the sd card when I take a picture. Keeps saving to Google photos.
    05-28-17 10:01 AM
    My problem is getting my photos to automatically download to the sd card when I take a picture. Keeps saving to Google photos.
    In the camera app make sure you have toggled on Media Card in the settings.

It sounds like maybe you are using Google Photos for the photos app. Make sure Backup and Sync is not turned on in the settings of the app if you do NOT want your photos saved to Google 's cloud.
    05-28-17 10:54 AM
    I've got the camera setting for media card turned on. Still does it
    05-28-17 10:57 AM
    What photo app are you using?
    05-28-17 11:21 AM
    Weezard is correct, I have all photos saved to external SD card (200gb sandisk) now holding over 7000 images... if the phone dies, the card goes in the next phone or computer. It is NOT adoptable storage. I have latel stuck, th,is card in my Passport all working Fine back and forth to Priv...

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 03:58 PM
    If camera is set to store on media card, then it is prob SD > DCIM > Camera.
    Google photos is just a viewing app, it's opening t he photos from the SD card.
    This is assuming you have set the card up properly, as external. If you're running the card as internal storage - I've no clue - but it doesn't make any difference as you can only get to them with the phone. So the phone can put them wherever it wants.
    05-29-17 05:49 AM