I'm super excited to share this review. We managed to meet the quality of iPhone with a development team around 5% the size of Apple's!

BlackBerry Priv Mobile Review: Mobile photography for the Privileged - DxOMark
    Congrats you should be PROUD!

Productivity via THE PRIV
    12-25-15 04:18 PM
    I hate to pour cold water on the camera here. Full disclosure; I own a priv myself. But with all the glowing reviews, I still end up reaching for my Panasonic GX7 each and everytime the shot counts. Granted, we're talking about a micro-four-thirds sized sensor here. So shutter speed is no comparison. But I'm not seeing the high dynamic range of the Priv unless you rely on the HDR. But then again, isn't HDR kind of cheating if your relying on it in the first place? HDR is totally useless in average lighting and if the subjects cannot stay perfectly still.

What am I missing here?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by ajwan; 12-25-15 at 05:08 PM.
    12-25-15 04:55 PM
    I hate to pour cold water on the camera here. Full disclosure; I own a priv myself. But with all the glowing reviews, I still end up reaching for my Panasonic GX7 each and everytime the shot counts. Granted, we're talking about a micro-four-thirds sized sensor here. So shutter speed is no comparison. But I'm not seeing the high dynamic range of the Priv unless you rely on the HDR. But then again, isn't HDR kind of cheating if your relying on it in the first place? HDR is totally useless in average lighting and if the subjects cannot stay perfectly still.

What am I missing here?

why are you mixing smartphone quality with a [relatively] big sensor dedicated camera? did you expect the priv to be as good as a M4/3 camera?
    12-25-15 06:04 PM
    I'm very pleased with the Priv camera. I was able to capture some excellent family Christmas photos today.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    12-25-15 10:36 PM
    Guess I've been spoiled by a large sensor LOL!

12-25-15 11:55 PM
    Just would like to ask the OP, is there anyway we can have live photos like IOS? I know it really is a gif of multiple photos, something Google photos can similarly do, but it is pretty neat to have when looking back on your photos.
    We've talked about this sort of thing in the past.. other vendors have done it under different names before. Our first forray into Android had to of course get the photography basics running solidly, and then we'll look into the fun stuff like this in future releases
    12-27-15 03:32 PM
    Congrats on this! My only gripe is that I wish the review actually showed more full-size sample shots. The thumbnails are embarrassingly small. And the other reviews like the Nexus 6P are multi-page and contain more detail and bigger sample shots.
    thanks.. yes, we'd like to improve the reviewer going forward.
    12-27-15 03:34 PM
    But then again, isn't HDR kind of cheating if your relying on it in the first place? HDR is totally useless in average lighting and if the subjects cannot stay perfectly still.
    I have to say, I was really impressed to see how well our HDR algorithms can de-ghost movement in images. One of the testers took a shot of geese taking flight from a lake and I couldn't see any ghosting artifacts in the resulting photo.
    LeeU1911 likes this.
    12-27-15 03:37 PM
    I have to say, I was really impressed to see how well our HDR algorithms can de-ghost movement in images. One of the testers took a shot of geese taking flight from a lake and I couldn't see any ghosting artifacts in the resulting photo.
    Yep.

I leave it on "auto" mode. You simply can't do that with other HDR implementations and get acceptable results if there is ANY movement, but on the Priv, you both can and should.

It's pretty astounding, really.
    12-27-15 04:38 PM
    Yep.

I leave it on "auto" mode. You simply can't do that with other HDR implementations and get acceptable results if there is ANY movement, but on the Priv, you both can and should.

It's pretty astounding, really.
    Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot then. I'm used to keeping HDR off on my GX7, so I kinda assumed I'd be doing the same on the Priv.

12-27-15 04:54 PM
    Guess I've been spoiled by a large sensor LOL!

Size does matter!

The Classic
    12-27-15 05:15 PM
    thanks.. yes, we'd like to improve the reviewer going forward.
    I was referring to the DxOMark review itself but now that you mention it, reviewing the taken shots on the app could benefit from being full sized as well. =)

I miss how BB10 allowed you to just flip through the photos, fit to screen, rapidly flipping through them one by one. With the current one it's a bit too easy to fly through many pics with just one swipe.
    smcv likes this.
    12-27-15 11:24 PM
    Do you also plan to bring these camera improvements to BB10? I am especially interested in a much improved focus speed and better photos taken in low light.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-15 03:08 AM
    I wouldnt be too excited by this review. it's not something to base your purchase on.
    It does show that the issues the priv has is software so its within Blackberry's means to make it one of the best
    12-28-15 11:28 AM
    I wouldnt be too excited by this review. it's not something to base your purchase on.
    It does show that the issues the priv has is software so its within Blackberry's means to make it one of the best
    Why wouldn't this impact someone's purchase decision? Many people consider camera quality an important consideration in purchasing a phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-15 06:05 PM
    Why wouldn't this impact someone's purchase decision? Many people consider camera quality an important consideration in purchasing a phone.

Posted via CB10
    Because they don't measure actual usage. Thus the results in real life don't always mirror their review
    12-28-15 06:17 PM
    Because they don't measure actual usage. Thus the results in real life don't always mirror their review
    They compare exposure, detail, color, speed of auto focus etc at various conditions. What "real life" results do you expect to be different?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-15 06:32 PM
    They compare exposure, detail, color, speed of auto focus etc at various conditions. What "real life" results do you expect to be different?

Posted via CB10
    I'm too tired to get into this. They don't examine the software which plays a huge part in the quality of the picture. That's what I mean.
    12-28-15 06:47 PM
    I'm too tired to get into this. They don't examine the software which plays a huge part in the quality of the picture. That's what I mean.
    I guess I'll have to wait until you are less tired, because I don't understand how they can evaluate things like auto focus and exposure that are obviously controlled by software.

I know for DSLR cameras, some tests used to be done with raw images, and don't include the software that compresses to jpg. Is that what you mean?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-15 07:04 PM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Congrats!! Well done BlackBerry!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-15 07:07 PM
    I guess I'll have to wait until you are less tired, because I don't understand how they can evaluate things like auto focus and exposure that are obviously controlled by software.

I know for DSLR cameras, some tests used to be done with raw images, and don't include the software that compresses to jpg. Is that what you mean?

Posted via CB10
    I don't know how they do it but they do.
    12-28-15 07:51 PM
    The gamut of tests that DxO performs is quite extensive. The setups range from hand-held to tripod-mounted setups both in controlled lab settings as well as real-world environments. The subject matter ranges from test charts to people to bright scenery. All of the measurements are quantified computationally and subjectively compared with other devices of that have been reviewed previously. Their full lab report is quite a lot more detailed than what you see on their website and provides valuable feedback to vendors for iterating their camera products and designing future ones.
    Since DxO's results are very repeatable and quantifiable, we (and others) find them to be among the most concrete feedback. The other piece of the puzzle is all of the subjective feedback we receive from all of the other reviewers, and out customers, and sites like CrackBerry.
    12-31-15 01:08 AM
    What you guys got planned for the next update or future coming updates?

12-31-15 10:13 AM
48 12