So I got my Priv today, AT&T in the US and am liking it so far. The only thing I've noticed that really bothers me is that whenever I use the rear facing camera the phone emits a high pitched whine. It's only really noticeable in a very quiet room. Has anyone else experienced this?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-06-15 08:27 PM
    I've heard the same thing and have tried a few things, opening and closing the keyboard etc but it doesnt go away.

11-06-15 08:28 PM
    Hi. Sorry to hear about that. BlackBerry just identified an issue with a small percentage of units that exhibit this high-pitched tone from the camera's OIS actuators. A firmware update will be coming soon to address this.
    brian4591 and ahmedhanif911 like this.
    11-07-15 12:22 AM
    I got this issue as well. Imma return the phone for a new unit.
    11-07-15 12:38 AM
    Hmmmm...I'm interested in that. Does it sound like the Knight Rider version of a BlackBerry camera?

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 12:45 AM
    I have tried the cameras on the 2 we have and neither make any noise you describe. Have taken a lot of photos to see if it did, so far so good. Hope it all works out for you.
    11-07-15 01:13 AM
    I have tried the cameras on the 2 we have and neither make any noise you describe. Have taken a lot of photos to see if it did, so far so good. Hope it all works out for you.
    How old are you, if I may ask? The ability to hear very high frequencies decreases dramatically the older you get. I used to be able to hear those high-pitched youth crowd dispersers but can't hear them anymore now (I'm 38 now). Also can't hear the XPS 13 processor whine that other people are complaining about :-)

But as to the nature of the noise: it's probably the image stabilizer.
    11-07-15 01:48 AM
    I have the same issue. Just got my Priv yesterday. The noise is quite annoying.

Is it a hardware issue?
    11-07-15 06:34 AM
    I think it occurs when dark. At least on mine.

11-07-15 06:54 AM
    I have the same issue is well .

11-07-15 06:57 AM
    BlackBerry just identified an issue with a small percentage of units that exhibit this high-pitched tone from the camera's OIS actuators. A firmware update will be coming soon to address this.
    Where did you read this? Have a link of the source?
    P.S. can anybody who is having these cam issues post a short vid on youtube so we can hear what you guys mean?
    11-07-15 07:02 AM
    I'm 39, it's very noticeable if your unit does it.

11-07-15 07:04 AM
    I also noticed that it makes the sound when only the flashlight is on. Hmm ...

11-07-15 09:57 AM
    Just returned mine to the Rogers store. They said, "it's not supposed to do that"... Good enough for me. Not risking a bad camera.
    11-07-15 10:10 AM
    I think I'll trade mine out as soon as I can too. So far I'm loving the phone, that is the only thing that is bothering me.

11-07-15 10:35 AM
    Where did you read this? Have a link of the source?
    I am the camera architect at BlackBerry.
    11-07-15 01:27 PM
    Oh dude. After saying that openly, you're probably gonna get bombarded by soooo many people with gazillions of questions and requests for news/gossip/insider-info/etc.. (regardless whether or not it applies to your position within the company). My sympathies if you do.
    smcv likes this.
    11-07-15 01:45 PM
    How can it be fixed with a firmware update? Sounds like it's a mechanical problem.
    11-07-15 02:19 PM
    My priv has the same high pitched noise coming from the camera, I bought it in a Rogers store.

I'll continue to explore the priv for the day and probably return it tomorrow, downside is that this was their last priv so it means waiting until the next shipment comes in

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 03:02 PM
    How can it be fixed with a firmware update? Sounds like it's a mechanical problem.
    Resonance. The OIS system is driven by software and is basically a voice-coil (think speaker coil.) The drive is PWM modulated and multi-phasic; it's pretty cool stuff, actually, and what's probably going on here is that the frequency being used happens to hit a resonance frequency in some of the cameras, thus audible noise.

OIS in my Canon lenses produces a slight "whir" when on... it's audible under certain circumstances but not particularly obtrusive.. If it's a resonance issue it's fixable by slightly changing the PWM frequency, assuming that's programmable from the driver (and it probably is.)
    11-07-15 03:18 PM
    My priv has the same high pitched noise coming from the camera, I bought it in a Rogers store.

I'll continue to explore the priv for the day and probably return it tomorrow, downside is that this was their last priv so it means waiting until the next shipment comes in

Posted via CB10
    This concerns me. I hope it's not a design fault or manufacturing defect. Even if it doesn't make the noise, I wonder if use will eventually result in the problem.
    11-07-15 03:18 PM
    How old are you, if I may ask? The ability to hear very high frequencies decreases dramatically the older you get. I used to be able to hear those high-pitched youth crowd dispersers but can't hear them anymore now (I'm 38 now). Also can't hear the XPS 13 processor whine that other people are complaining about :-)

Holy crap you're making 38 sound like 83. I'm older than hell (46) and never been in a situation where my hearing missed something a 13 year old could hear.

I mean maybe you're right and I'm just in denial. In a way I hope my phone has this problem and I notice it so I don't feel like I was born in the century before last.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    11-07-15 03:29 PM
    Resonance. The OIS system is driven by software and is basically a voice-coil (think speaker coil.) The drive is PWM modulated and multi-phasic; it's pretty cool stuff, actually, and what's probably going on here is that the frequency being used happens to hit a resonance frequency in some of the cameras, thus audible noise.

OIS in my Canon lenses produces a slight "whir" when on... it's audible under certain circumstances but not particularly obtrusive.. If it's a resonance issue it's fixable by slightly changing the PWM frequency, assuming that's programmable from the driver (and it probably is.)
    Perhaps I will try blackberry support then, see what they say before I return it. I don't mind the noise to much and could live with it until a fix comes, but it's having it confirmed from blackberry it's something they can fix that I want. If not I'll return the priv tomorrow and look for a new one

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 03:31 PM

I'm 38 and have excellent hearing (except when selective hearing is on ). My daughter is 18 and she can't hear the sound on hers or mine either.
    11-07-15 04:36 PM
    I've created a ticket with Blackberry support... lets see what they say
    11-07-15 07:01 PM
59 123