I just got my Priv earlier this week and the bluetooth stuttering while playing music in my car (2014 Hyundai Elantra) is unreal. I previously was using a Moto X for a few months and thought it was stuttering bad (or skipping/fading out - however you want to describe it) but the Priv is much worse. On occasion it'll do it a few times during a song but usually it stutters about every second or two so bad that you can barely tell there is music playing.

I'm running the factory unlocked Priv with the latest Android M update. My BlackBerry Passport (or any past BlackBerry OS/BB10 devices) never have this problem at all. I figured with the Priv being built by BlackBerry it wouldn't either but unfortunately I was wrong.

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have any solutions?
    09-30-16 12:46 PM
    I've had the Priv get a bad connection via Bluetooth but every time it has happened turning off and on bluetooth (on the phone) has cleared it.
    09-30-16 01:33 PM
    Ditto on the above answer. Mine was terrible more than a few times but reconnecting always fixed it.
    09-30-16 01:40 PM
    I find rebooting helps

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-30-16 06:46 PM
    Haven't been able to stop mine from doing it, sounds like a cd skipping. I just bring my passport along, I do lots of driving everyday and I was ready to toss it out the window! Ha

09-30-16 06:51 PM
    Turn the airplane setting on and off, this cures the Bluetooth stuttering on my phone when paired with the car audio

09-30-16 08:06 PM
    Yeah this happens to me from time to time and phone calls connected to my car via Bluetooth sounds like I'm calling from outer space slot of crackle. But reboot or turning Bluetooth on and off seems to fix the problem

09-30-16 10:01 PM
    Ya I have this happening with a Blackberry to aux device I have hooked up in my 07 Acura. It connects to the vehicles BT for hands free no issue. But if I connect it to the receiver and start streaming, I get stuttering every few seconds.

It sucked so much, I went back to just using a regular 3.5 aux cable from the phone to the stereo jack.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    Last edited by Carmels; 10-03-16 at 08:58 PM.
    09-30-16 10:19 PM
    Last time I had Bluetooth stutter was with the June update. Running Spotify, Drivemode and Waze would render it unusable. Using it with mt Belkin CarAudio Connect.
    10-01-16 12:34 AM
    Does anyone know if this could be a BT backward compatibility issue? The BT receiver to aux device I have to stream is definitely an older version of BT that can't be updated. But I would suspect the Priv running 4.0 or greater is surly backwards compatible.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    stewie6666 likes this.
    10-03-16 09:03 PM
    Maybe. It might also be a buffer memory issue (the phone can't get a contiguous buffer large enough, but killing Bluetooth and turning it back on causes it release its former RAM, so now it has a larger block available for what it would prefer to grab)
    zephyr613 likes this.
    10-03-16 09:30 PM
    Maybe. It might also be a buffer memory issue (the phone can't get a contiguous buffer large enough, but killing Bluetooth and turning it back on causes it release its former RAM, so now it has a larger block available for what it would prefer to grab)
    I've had a ticket open with blackberry via the support department for months. It's been escalated for investigation and they have told me it's a cpu load issue.

The more that report this the sooner this gets fixed.

I'm at the point I am going to switch off this device.
    12-02-16 12:04 PM
    I just bought some JBL Bluetooth speakers (Charge 3 and Flip 3) and both speakers stutter and are extremely choppy while playing any music through them from my PRIV (other phones in my house work fine with them). However, my PRIV works fine through several Samsung and Motorola Bluetooth earpieces, as well as an Aluratek Bluetooth audio receiver that I bought at BestBuy. I also have no problems using Chromecast audio and video. It's frustrating to say the least. Where's the best place to register a complaint in order that some tech support action can be taken? Thanks, gary
    01-02-17 10:21 AM
    I have similar issues when playing music or audio over BT speaker or headset. Mine started after the MM update on Verizon. Before that it was fine.
    01-03-17 08:19 AM
    I am having the same problems with Bluetooth sound stuttering on certain devices. This started when my Verizon Priv was updated to Marshmallow. I don't have any problems at all with the Ford Sync system in my 2010 car, my Samsung Multi-room speakers (poor man's Sonos) or my cheapo Bluetooth headphones, but it stutters like crazy on my JBL XTreme speaker and Jambox Jawbone speaker making them useless except via a patch cord.

I tried deleting all of my Bluetooth profiles and re-pairing, I tried hard resets. No dice. I updated the firmware on my JBL XTreme and it didn't help either. I called JBL customer service (or lack thereof) and they were nasty and said that if it works with the patch cord their part in making the speaker work ends.

I decided to wipe my device and do a autoloader installation of Marshmallow. I wanted to do that anyway because my battery didn't see any improvement from Lollipop to Marshmallow as I expected. The good news is my battery life did actually improve. The bad news is this did absolutely nothing to help my Bluetooth issue. The same devices were having the same problem.

I decided to call BlackBerry Priv customer service and they had me do most of the things I already did which of course didn't work. They had me go into Safe Mode (didn't help). I sent them several Bug Reports and after a few days the rep called and told me that indeed they found an issue, but they wanted me to do a Factory Reset on my Priv to make sure. I was not willing to do that because I just did what I think is even a cleaner reset by wiping and using an autoloader to reinstall the OS (am I correct?). It took me about four hours or more to set up my phone the last time, I'm not going through that again. So it ended there. He said to expect that a fix should be released with the monthly security updates, but he could not confirm if and when that might happen.

I'd recommend calling the Priv customer service line (it's free if you've owned your Priv less than a year) and let them know. The more of us that do this the better chance that it will get fixed.
    01-03-17 10:04 PM
    Because of this thread, I just paired my ShopBB Priv with the old BB portable mini-speaker, this thing:

Priv Bluetooth Stuttering-bb-mini-speaker.jpg

And I've noticed no skipping or sputtering. I also just an hour ago did the latest, Jan, Security update.

Lucky, perhaps.
    01-03-17 10:40 PM
    Bluetooth playback is working fine for me, except for the annoying random autostart/autoplay of one of my media players (VLC/Podcast Addict/Poweramp) - how can I disable that?

But my very first phone call (via HFP) usually has distorted sound (lound noise, pain in the ear, with a distant idea this might be someone talking). I have to double-check, but it might only happen when 4G is active, but not with 3G/2G.

Priv: Marshmallow with December-Update
    Car: VW Passat B8, 2015, Soundsystem CompositionMedia
    01-04-17 01:41 AM
    Because of this thread, I just paired my ShopBB Priv with the old BB portable mini-speaker, this thing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB Mini Speaker.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	415307

And I've noticed no skipping or sputtering. I also just an hour ago did the latest, Jan, Security update.

Lucky, perhaps.
    Interesting, I was thinking of picking one of these BlackBerry BT speakers up for some HF calling in my old Mazda.

It might pair better because they're both blackberry products.
    01-04-17 06:54 AM
    Mine just started non-stop stuttering, with my Sony MW600. Tried cycling Bluetooth but didn't work, going to try a reboot in a bit.
    01-04-17 07:05 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB Mini Speaker.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	415307

Lucky, perhaps.
    Happy New Year FF22 (and all you other maniacs) - I am assuming the January Security update was NOT on your VZW PRIV....

I have had this issue sometimes when paring with my 2014 Dodge Charger, it will sputter so much it will actually skip a song, once it does that - all is good. It seems like the buffer explanation listed above by tickerguy might be the best answer here.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-04-17 07:09 AM
    PRIV's bluetooth performance has been poor for me. I get frequent mini-stutters when paired with my Plantronics Legend especially when I move.

I keep the phone in a CD-ROM holder in my car (Audi A6 2012) and sound quality is very good with only a few interruptions from time to time. But if I keep the phone in the door compartment or my left pocket it's unusable. So I guess the receiver is somewhere in the center of the car and the phone has to be close to it.

Performance is even worse when I have a smartwatch connected to it.

EDIT: also, I didn't see any correlation between CPU usage and bluetooth quality. With no apps running it works the same as with Waze + Gmaps + Google Play + GoPro app running at the same time.
    01-04-17 08:31 AM
    Interesting, I was thinking of picking one of these BlackBerry BT speakers up for some HF calling in my old Mazda.

It might pair better because they're both blackberry products.
    I did not realize that they still sell them. Not bad. Just keep in mind that the slot or opening or "hinge" as they call it is limited in how far apart you can pry it. The back has a label: "Do not open the speaker hinge more than 5mm."
    01-04-17 08:34 AM
    Happy New Year FF22 (and all you other maniacs) - I am assuming the January Security update was NOT on your VZW PRIV....

I have had this issue sometimes when paring with my 2014 Dodge Charger, it will sputter so much it will actually skip a song, once it does that - all is good. It seems like the buffer explanation listed above by tickerguy might be the best answer here.
    Thanks and back at you and all of YOU.

Jan 3rd - Verizon update? Does not compute, although the last one did come rather early. I would not have even thought about checking but since it was mentioned on the blog and the ShopBB got it, I had to check! NOPE!
    zephyr613 likes this.
    01-04-17 08:36 AM
    Bluetooth seems cured for me, reboot seem to have done the trick. Still on December here.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    01-04-17 09:53 AM
    Bluetooth seems cured for me, reboot seem to have done the trick.
    Total reboot or turning off/on the BT from the Phone?

AS I have experienced, this only happens to me once (and only for a short period of time) usually stuttering enough for the device to skip the entire song it is playing and then move on.

The more interesting this is that it happens all the time on my Dodge, but never has happed on my GF's 2016 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid - wonder if its the head unit of the BT in the car??
    01-04-17 10:00 AM
49 12