Hey folks,

Curious if this happens to you. I work in a bad lte service area for tmobile. In fact that whole att no service bug hit my priv hard in this location on tmobile. Ever since that upate, my phone doesnt permanently lose service anymore... but in that same area when I totally lose service... the phone more or less hangs for a minute. Sometimes the system ui crashes and restarts. Sometimes it doesnt. Usually I lose the cell signal indicator and when it comes back the phone becomes responsive again...

Its a really annoying bug... I cant imagine other similar androids do the same. I saw one person mention this in a comment before recently. Anyone else see this?

Best,
    M
    03-15-17 01:04 PM
    If the signal is weak, it usually doesn't matter what phone you have, the weak signal will cause issues.
    03-15-17 01:46 PM
    Why would losing cell signal freeze the phone for a minute and sometimes crash the system ui. Thats not a great response... do you work for blackberry?
    03-15-17 08:34 PM
    Why would losing cell signal freeze the phone for a minute and sometimes crash the system ui. Thats not a great response... do you work for blackberry?
    Why is that a bad response? You didn't exactly elaborate on what you are doing with your phone when this happens. If you are using something that is reliant on your data then naturally it will lag with poor signal.
    03-15-17 08:50 PM
    No... I dont mean like a web page in chrome wont load. I mean the phone hard freezes. The buttons (including power) dont work. The triangle, circle and square buttons dont work. Its like the cell modem reboot halts the whole system. Sometimes after about a minute it starts working again. Sometimes the system ui process crashes and reboots. It eventually goes away but I see the cell icon completely disappear and reappear. This first started happening when the att no signal bug stared last year.

Its a bad response since I said almost all of the above in the original post. It doest appear as if you really read it.

But no, it doesnt matter what im doing. The phone locks for a noticeable amount of time. Laggy would be an understatement. Laggy happens normally. This is weird.
    03-15-17 08:59 PM
    I've never had this issue since launch day of the Priv. I would wipe the phone.
    Last edited by ray689; 03-15-17 at 09:42 PM.
    03-15-17 09:16 PM
    YES. This is so annoying. I can't even keep my phone's screen on while playing music on road trips cause it'll start skipping.

It's that bad. And forget using Maps. It'll just hang the phone and can take a minute if not minutes to be functional again.

I don't know why no service or low signal causes the performance to drag but it's very annoying. Especially when I get a "No Sim Card Detected" error every so frequently.

Edit: I have a ShopBB unlocked device on T-Mobile.
    03-15-17 10:58 PM
    Have either of you wiped your devices?
    03-15-17 11:10 PM
    I have experienced this as well and I have wiped my device since I got it two Christmas's ago. For some reason I'm inclined to believe it's related to ram.
    03-15-17 11:14 PM
    I have experienced this as well and I have wiped my device since I got it two Christmas's ago. For some reason I'm inclined to believe it's related to ram.
    What types of Apps are you running? If it was ram related it would be a much more wide spread issue and it doesn't seem to be.
    03-15-17 11:22 PM
    This issue was seen recently with the LG V10 as well, in which the top right of the display stopped responding instead, but, the app causing the problem in both instances is the same, with the Facebook Messenger app at fault once again. Users have found that uninstalling the app solves the issue right away. Hopefully, a future update of the app will address this problem.

However, some users have found some other rogue apps to be causing this issue as well. Boot the device into Safe Mode and see if the issue persists. If it doesn’t, remove any recent applications you may have installed before the issue showed up, and see if that fixes it.
    If you absolutely cannot remove the app at fault, a temporary fix seems to be a Soft Reset, after which, the issue goes away, at least for a few hours.
    03-16-17 01:51 AM
    What if you switch to 3g only?
    You've tried a simple reboot?
    Does the phone get hot and the battery drains quickly even though you're not doing anything data intensive (scrolling through instagram, downloading updates, etc)
    Are there apps open in the background?
    03-16-17 02:19 AM
    What types of Apps are you running? If it was ram related it would be a much more wide spread issue and it doesn't seem to be.
    I am to have slow down/freeze periods at random times. I think maps is very ram intensive and notice bad reception at these times. I use maps allot when I'm driving so in my case I just may pay more attention to signal at these times, but Idk. I have probably too many background processes going to boot.
    03-16-17 08:16 AM
    What's the downloader app? And auto brightness? That's built in to the OS is it not? Why do you need anyother app? And the ram being fully utilized is what is supposed to happen.
    Last edited by ray689; 03-16-17 at 08:35 AM.
    03-16-17 08:18 AM
    What's the downloader app? And auto brightness? That's built in to the OS is it not? Why do you need anyother app? And the ram being fully utilized is what is supposed to happen.
    Downloader is an app to download videos off of the Internet web pages , auto brightness is customisable app for brightness. These are not part of OS. I realize I probably have too many apps that run in the background but I can't bring myself to remove them. With a reboot all seems better, but don't have the time necessarily to reboot in certain situations.
    03-16-17 09:21 AM
    Downloader is an app to download videos off of the Internet web pages , auto brightness is customisable app for brightness. These are not part of OS. I realize I probably have too many apps that run in the background but I can't bring myself to remove them. With a reboot all seems better, but don't have the time necessarily to reboot in certain situations.
    You might control what is running in the background. I stopped all Facebook notifications. Your social apps can cause an issue like you describe.

A periodic reboot helps. Also clearing your cache can help. On the reboot, just hold the power button until the phone does its thing; about 90 seconds.

If there is an app or apps causing the problem, then either you will do what needs to be done or you will continue having the problem. Your choice. But if the latter is your choice, then there is nothing anyone can do to help you.
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    03-16-17 02:51 PM
    What if you switch to 3g only?
    You've tried a simple reboot?
    Does the phone get hot and the battery drains quickly even though you're not doing anything data intensive (scrolling through instagram, downloading updates, etc)
    Are there apps open in the background?
    The phone did get hot and battery drains fast when in these low signal area.

I always thought it was RAM issue but with all apps closed from background and only one app running (music player app), it should not come to a crawl where I have to put my phone in stand by so it doesn't skip.

I don't think it's an app (although I'm not completely ruling out that possibility), because this only happens when I have no/low signal.
    03-16-17 04:46 PM
    Have you tried enabling only 3g/2g? No lte.
    03-17-17 08:54 PM
    Have you tried enabling only 3g/2g? No lte.
    On road trips it has no signal. I don't think switching to 3g/2g would affect it. Maybe in low signal areas. But I don't come across those too much.
    03-18-17 12:59 PM
    I dont have facebook or messenger. I use osmonitor and gsam battery logger to constantly make sure I dont have rogue apps running. I keep my install minimal. This problem happens regardless of what im doing. Usually im parked in my car reading crackberry or flipboard when it happens. It happens in the same place, a parking lot by where I work and the area has bad service for tmobile. I used to get the no service till reboot bug in the same location. Seems like the phone is doing the same thing, but eventually recovers. It does get super hot, but I cant check os monitor to see whats happening since the ui is frozen when this is happening. Usually the cell icon disappears and reappears.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-18-17 05:20 PM
    I havent tried no lte, that fixed the no signal issue so maybe that would fix this.
    This doesnt happen all the time. But its noticeable if I try to use the phone when the service is coming and going. Eventually it locks.
    03-18-17 05:22 PM
    What city are you in?

I've had this happen in Texas. Houston, Dallas. On trips in between. And also on trips to New Orleans.
    03-22-17 05:44 PM
    What city are you in?

I've had this happen in Texas. Houston, Dallas. On trips in between. And also on trips to New Orleans.
    I am on T-Mobile and if I drive out into a low or no signal area I can have issues with my phone that go away where there is better coverage. Have you gone to a T-Mobile store an talked with someone there (find someone who is knowledgeable regarding coverage in areas where you have trouble, not a newbie). If there is low coverage, the phone can be straining, trying to find a signal. I have heard this explained as why a phone can use more battery where there is poor coverage. It could cause other issues too, is my guess.
    Another idea: A few months ago I had problems and was getting a sim-card error message and a memo to up date it. I got a new one from T-Mobile and the problem went away.
    Just a couple of ideas.
    03-22-17 09:13 PM
    I am on T-Mobile and if I drive out into a low or no signal area I can have issues with my phone that go away where there is better coverage. Have you gone to a T-Mobile store an talked with someone there (find someone who is knowledgeable regarding coverage in areas where you have trouble, not a newbie). If there is low coverage, the phone can be straining, trying to find a signal. I have heard this explained as why a phone can use more battery where there is poor coverage. It could cause other issues too, is my guess.
    Another idea: A few months ago I had problems and was getting a sim-card error message and a memo to up date it. I got a new one from T-Mobile and the problem went away.
    Just a couple of ideas.
    I got a new sim card. Twice actually. But I get a no sim card error every now and then.

Who knows, between this issue and the 808 processor, I'm ready to jump to a new device first chance I get.
    03-23-17 06:08 PM