I tried the demo at the att store, I tried it for maybe 30 min and the phone was soo soo hot I had to put it down occasionally, is this happening to you guys? That's the only thing that kept me from buying

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 10:38 PM
    Yes. It gets hot. At least mine does any way.
    dan99x99 likes this.
    11-06-15 10:40 PM
    LoL

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 10:43 PM
    It gets warm but has never gotten so hot that I couldn't use it. Only time that has happened in a phone was with my old ip6+ that had an email sync issue

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    dan99x99 likes this.
    11-06-15 10:55 PM
    Phones get hot depending upon the load you're putting on the processor. My Passport Silver used to get hot playing that Sniper game. My Galaxy Note gets hot. Don't believe me? Google "My phone gets hot" and you'll get 41 million results right now.

Don't blame the Priv.
    dan99x99, bapebape and Spinal like this.
    11-06-15 10:59 PM
    Most of the phones now will get hot in the top right corner. The Galaxy phones certainly do after a little while. Not really anything to get overly excited about unless the phone starts to stutter. After my Galaxy is on a while the top right is not the only area of the phone that is hot, you can count on the entire screen reaching high temperatures. Could feel heat even through cases, this included otter box as well as flip cases. If it went too high I restarted the phone in case something kept running in the background and let it cool. This has been the case with both Galaxy phones I have used.
    This is also when the battery makes a quick run to empty. Most people are likely not used to the phones running this warm but is pretty much the trade off for the processor they put in.

11-06-15 11:00 PM
    Chestnuts roasting on an open fire....Priv was hot in ATT store today. Is that normal?? My Z30 never heats up like that. I am sure it is the processor producing the heat. Hopefully it will cool down.
    dan99x99 likes this.
    11-06-15 11:03 PM
    Super hot. But seems to have settled down.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 11:06 PM
    Those devices in store are constantly plugged in to the charger, I'm wondering if there is an issue with that in regards to quick-charge

BerryRipe likes this.
    11-06-15 11:16 PM
    Thankfully mine has none of the problems ya'll are having on this forum.. good luck
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    11-06-15 11:33 PM
    No issue, you guys have a damn super computer cramped inside a plastic wallet in your pocket. Ya... the harder they work the hotter they get. Since BlackBerry has aways used slower processors this is going to be new to a lot of you. Probably all the app overload you guys finally have access too.

I kid I kid, don't flame me. :-D

Posted via CB10
    jonwb, powereds and anon(8050899) like this.
    11-06-15 11:34 PM
    They will probably issue a software patch to fix the processor heat management.
    11-07-15 12:44 AM
    Consider that the phone is on max brightness and is charging as the battery is being drained from the screen being on. This combination = heat. I'm not surprised at all. I will be very surprised if it comes anywhere near very warm if you're not gaming on regular use. I regularly keep my brightness on all my phones at 1/4 and let auto brightness do its thing outdoors.
    11-07-15 12:46 AM
    The phone is brand new. It will probably stop doing this once it "settles in." My Q10 used to get hot all the time when I first got it but now it never does.
    11-07-15 12:49 AM
    I tried the demo at the att store, I tried it for maybe 30 min and the phone was soo soo hot I had to put it down occasionally, is this happening to you guys? That's the only thing that kept me from buying

Posted via CB10
    I have to ask, for the thirty minutes you were using/testing it out, were you constantly running different things, switching from app to app? I mean, it's not unlikely that you could have just been overloading the system by doing so much. And, when compared to a few of the current flagship cell phones, or even cellphones with the same Snapdragon processor, the Priv does run slightly slower.

I don't feel my HTC get hot much these days, but I have had cell phones in the past (Android and one WP8) that would warm up to a decent temperature if I was playing a demanding game or even switching back and forth and multitasking heavily. I mean, honestly, as mentioned above, it is a miniature computer. And look at how THIN the Priv is with all the hardware it has! I would say this is nothing to worry about, and even a pro in the winter months. :~)
    dan99x99 likes this.
    11-07-15 12:53 AM
    The 2 in my household don't get that hot, a little warm but nothing of concern. Were using them as soon as we opened them, set up, added contacts/calendars, looked for apps and just playing around. Was on it for a few hours straight with no heat issues. Hopefully it goes well for you.
    11-07-15 12:57 AM
    The 2 in my household don't get that hot, a little warm but nothing of concern. Were using them as soon as we opened them, set up, added contacts/calendars, looked for apps and just playing around. Was on it for a few hours straight with no heat issues. Hopefully it goes well for you.
    Hmm, as someone else mentioned, his unit was probably charging while he was flipping through all the features... That could be it...
    11-07-15 01:00 AM
    All i know is that lollipop 5.1.1 didn't work out that wel for a lot devices.
    My gf her phone is almost unusable due to reboots, heating and dropped signal.
    On kitkat all was perfect,fast and fluid.
    Same for her sister and mom.

So i tend to believe that the base os lollipop isn't as stable as we would like.
    Marshmellow should fix it

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 01:01 AM
    Let me be more specific, I told the rep I wanted to first try the phone, he then took it off from the display and took me to the little table, he let me play around with the device while doing some numbers for me to switch from Verizon, the phone was not charging, and I restarted the device to help the cause, I was browsing only the web and YouTube to try the speakers, I was not doing anything out of ordinary, all apps were up to date. And the phone was still hot

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 02:05 AM
    My Priv got very hot initially. It was busily doing install and updates (and perhaps encryption in the background?). It was very hot, but not hot enough to hurt my hands. It cooled down after about an hour. Now I can't make it hot again... After 10 minutes of gaming, it's only slightly warm... I will try to run some heavy game later to see if it will heat it up...

Lollipop is pretty stable, I don't think it's related to the heating issues. As long as the unit doesn't crash or reboot, heat is OK... (It's not desirable, but it's normal.) If it keeps getting hot, see if any background process is running in "Settings", "Apps", "running".
    11-07-15 02:28 AM
    The BlackBerry Priv only got warm during initial setup but has been fine during regular use. I would not judge his smartphone based on a demo unit. sometimes I have to wonder about the level of hysteria exhibited by some forum members.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    AnimalPak200 and bluetroll like this.
    11-07-15 02:40 AM
    My Passport got very hot during updates and while running the Google playstore. After removing the playstore the issues disappeared. Kind of common issue on smartphones. Not comparable to how hot some old ibooks used to get, burning included.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    11-07-15 02:50 AM
    Let me be more specific, I told the rep I wanted to first try the phone, he then took it off from the display and took me to the little table, he let me play around with the device while doing some numbers for me to switch from Verizon, the phone was not charging, and I restarted the device to help the cause, I was browsing only the web and YouTube to try the speakers, I was not doing anything out of ordinary, all apps were up to date. And the phone was still hot

Posted via CB10
    And most importantly what is the brightness setting at? 100%? So the phone was not charging as you were using it but it was charging and showing demo on the stand before he took it off for you? If so restarting wouldn't cool it down that fast. I have seen some S6's get quite warm being on demo yet I take into consideration all those things to make a good judgement that it doesn't represent a normal use scenario.
    dan99x99 likes this.
    11-07-15 02:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    And most importantly what is the brightness setting at? 100%? So the phone was not charging as you were using it but it was charging and showing demo on the stand before he took it off for you? If so restarting wouldn't cool it down that fast. I have seen some S6's get quite warm being on demo yet I take into consideration all those things to make a good judgement that it doesn't represent a normal use scenario. I use a ton of different phones for work purposes and while I can make them warm, they never do get hot for me.
    11-07-15 02:59 AM
    Numero #1:

The guy in the vid is semi-jokingly said that the device's logo could brand into your thigh while in your pocket.
    Topic starter said he had to literally put the device down as it became too hot.
    Is it really THAT bad? What is "warm/hot" in this case?
    Having only used mostly legacy devices, I'm not familiar with cell phones getting "warm" while using. My iPhone 6 never has this problem either.

Can one can have it in ones hands and use it in the tropics with 95 oF on the beach while drinking a couple of beers outside? If not, that would suck. What about guys living in Saudi Arabia/Dubai where it is approx 110-115 oF?

I wonder if this is something that can be fixed with a software update?

But then again, If I'm back in the EU, I suppose it'll winter and it'll make for a good alternative for my mittens.
    11-07-15 08:00 AM
52 123