I think there's lots of misconception about RAM and how it's used. Lots of people here come from BBOS where RAM and storage was one.

On modern OS, RAM isn't used to store anything permanently thus does not need to be manually cleared. The OS will take care of rewriting over it.
    It should also be added that DRAM needs to constantly be refreshed on the order of dozens of milliseconds, that's where almost all of its power consumption goes, and its the same whether or not there are any apps in it. Regular write and read operations are comparatively rare and they don't contribute much.

Basically, when an app is left to sit inactive in RAM it consumes no additional resources, given that the app is programmed properly and doesn't execute any (intensive) tasks after it goes into background.
    On the other hand, if it's closed completely, subsequent opening requires reading from flash memory and CPU (which both consume significantly more resources than they otherwise would) to load and launch all the relevant code and other assets, images etc.
    (I believe you already know this, just trying to clear some misconceptions other people have)
    04-19-17 02:45 AM
    There are processes that a RAM cleaner won't be able to clear.
    True, those are background processes, also some system apps like stock launcher will not be killed. Ram cleaner is supposed to kill the actual apps, not the background tasks. That's why I said "silly" to have the ram fully loaded with only background processes and left less space for actual apps. You still don't get my point?
    04-19-17 07:26 AM
    Please elaborate how rewriting RAM needs more battery and more time if the old data is discarded at the moment a new process needs that portion of RAM vs. if the old data was discarded manually at an earlier point.

And why would keeping inactive apps in RAM consume more battery than closing and subsequently reopening them? That makes no sense whatsoever.
    When you discard it manually at the time, it makes your phone running even less programs than before at the time. If not, your phone will keep running it and probably it will continuously eat your battery.

I said "on idle condition" dude. when you're not using the apps again at the time, better to clear up the ram from actual apps and let its background processes do the jobs. But when you're still working with your phone it should be fine to not clear the ram, so your phone doesn't need to open the app from ground up each time you switching between apps.
    04-19-17 07:34 AM
    04-19-17 07:40 AM
    Ram cleaner is supposed to kill the actual apps, not the background tasks
    "silly" to have the ram fully loaded with only background processes and left less space for actual apps
    What's the difference between "background processes" and "background tasks", by this definition of yours? And what exactly are "actual apps"?

probably it will continuously eat your battery
    No. When an app is in the background it is stopped. Unless there are reasons for it to run or the developer is an *****, which most of them aren't.

better to clear up the ram from actual apps and let its background processes do the jobs
    This seems in contradiction to your previous post.

edit: In fact, disregard that. In short, Android is designed to take care of memory on its own. There is no need for any task killers because there is a task killer in Android which knows very well what it needs to kill, when and why.
    If you have a badly performing app, one that wastes CPU or battery in the background, take care of that. I provided links for a few apps that can help earlier. Uninstall it, report a bug to the developer etc. In the meantime, if it's mandatory you use it, kill it manually. But don't install additional always-running-and-wasting-resources "killers" for that, you can do it with the built-in tools.

edit 2: So, I just tried, and this RAM Booster Extreme's idea of speeding up (boosting, lol) my phone is by killing Samsung Accessory Service and Gear plugin, both of which are required for my smartwatch to function properly, also BB Hub and Facebook Messenger. All of them services which need to always be running so they get started again as soon as they are killed. Now, that's a resource-, battery-wasting app which does nothing of any use... As a bonus, you get beautiful ads all-around. Pretty much the definition of an app which needs to be avoided at all costs.
    Last edited by Mirko935; 04-19-17 at 09:19 AM.
    04-19-17 08:48 AM
    What's the difference between "background processes" and "background tasks", by this definition of yours? And what exactly are "actual apps"?

No. When an app is in the background it is stopped. Unless there are reasons for it to run or the developer is an *****, which most of them aren't.

This seems in contradiction to your previous post.

edit: In fact, disregard that. In short, Android is designed to take care of memory on its own. There is no need for any task killers because there is a task killer in Android which knows very well what it needs to kill, when and why.
    If you have a badly performing app, one that wastes CPU or battery in the background, take care of that. I provided links for a few apps that can help earlier. Uninstall it, report a bug to the developer etc. In the meantime, if it's mandatory you use it, kill it manually. But don't install additional always-running-and-wasting-resources "killers" for that, you can do it with the built-in tools.

edit 2: So, I just tried, and this RAM Booster Extreme's idea of speeding up (boosting, lol) my phone is by killing Samsung Accessory Service and Gear plugin, both of which are required for my smartwatch to function properly, also BB Hub and Facebook Messenger. All of them services which need to always be running so they get started again as soon as they are killed. Now, that's a resource-, battery-wasting app which does nothing of any use... As a bonus, you get beautiful ads all-around. Pretty much the definition of an app which needs to be avoided at all costs.
    Not sure what you did but I have both the Hub and Messenger and neither is killed and I get notifications in real time. There is a white list section you may can use as well if you think it affecting your apps.
    04-19-17 09:35 AM
    Not sure what you did but I have both the Hub and Messenger and neither is killed and I get notifications in real time. There is a white list section you may can use as well if you think it affecting your apps.
    They get restarted right away, that's why you get notifications. And that closing and reopening does nothing but waste battery.

Also, the app lies about cache. Not only did it say that I have 7 GB of cache, but it doesn't even wipe it. It says it cleaned it, but it was 1.4 GB before, it's 1.4 GB after. And I tapped "Boost" several times so according to its calculation, it cleaned around two times the capacity of my internal storage hahaha
    04-19-17 09:56 AM
    http://newatlas.com/mobile-basics-ra...ormance/48074/

You guys should read this and stop using RAM cleaners!
    04-21-17 01:44 PM
    I just tried, and this RAM Booster Extreme's idea of speeding up (boosting, lol) my phone is by killing Samsung Accessory Service and Gear plugin, both of which are required for my smartwatch to function properly, also BB Hub and Facebook Messenger. All of them services which need to always be running so they get started again as soon as they are killed. Now, that's a resource-, battery-wasting app which does nothing of any use... As a bonus, you get beautiful ads all-around. Pretty much the definition of an app which needs to be avoided at all costs.
    I refer to app's background service as background process/task, and actual app as an app that you're opening on the screen or you minimized on task view.

Nope, when the actual app is in the background it is not stopped, it is paused but it will be kept in your ram and run everything it needs. It also depends on what kind of app you're minimizing. When you play music, the app will keep playing the music even when you minimize it. Or when you minimize an app that use your network connection, it won't stop to use your network when it's minimized. Or app that required your location, it will keep using your location even when you minimize it to background.

That's why I said having the phone fully loaded with background app is silly. It means that modified android (by blackberry) has so many background tasks running under the hood. And those background processes/tasks can not easily removed by using stock feature of android, the only way is to uninstall the app itself but it won't be uninstallable if the app is a stock app that come preinstalled on the phone (that can't be uninstalled except you root the phone, while blackberry avoids their products to be rootable)..
    04-22-17 01:24 AM

And those background processes/tasks can not easily removed by using stock feature of android, the only way is to uninstall the app itself but it won't be uninstallable if the app is a stock app that come preinstalled on the phone (that can't be uninstalled except you root the phone, while blackberry avoids their products to be rootable)..
    Most pre-installed apps can be disabled. Disabling an app prevents it from running at all.
    04-22-17 11:15 PM
    Most pre-installed apps can be disabled. Disabling an app prevents it from running at all.
    I could disable stock apps in my phone which running modified android without rooting, it's a feature provided by the manufacturer. How could you do this on blackberry-droid?
    04-23-17 12:28 AM
    I refer to app's background service as background process/task, and actual app as an app that you're opening on the screen or you minimized on task view.

Nope, when the actual app is in the background it is not stopped, it is paused but it will be kept in your ram and run everything it needs. It also depends on what kind of app you're minimizing. When you play music, the app will keep playing the music even when you minimize it. Or when you minimize an app that use your network connection, it won't stop to use your network when it's minimized. Or app that required your location, it will keep using your location even when you minimize it to background.
    Please refer to this:
    https://developer.android.com/guide/...lifecycle.html
    https://developer.android.com/guide/...lifecycle.html

If an app's purpose is to play music in the background, it will do so. What's wrong with that? If it wants to, it can stop as soon as you exit the relevant activity, as YouTube app does. Also about location and network. I had a GPS test app that would release all resources and stop location requests as soon as it disappears from the screen. If you use GPS navigation you wouldn't want it to stop if you switch to an incoming phonecall or want to read a new message you received, would you?

It all depends on the app's purpose and programming.

That's why I said having the phone fully loaded with background app is silly. It means that modified android (by blackberry) has so many background tasks running under the hood. And those background processes/tasks can not easily removed by using stock feature of android, the only way is to uninstall the app itself but it won't be uninstallable if the app is a stock app that come preinstalled on the phone (that can't be uninstalled except you root the phone, while blackberry avoids their products to be rootable)..
    I have no idea what you're trying to say here, especially, what does BlackBerry have to do with anything here? As @1122334455667788 noted, you can disable any app you don't need.
    04-23-17 03:13 AM
    Mine average usage after 3 hours
    05-09-17 08:48 PM
    Already posted this in another thread, but while we're at this topic... Who needs free RAM?
    Post your Memory Usage Charts-screenshot_20170510-210731.jpg
    05-11-17 05:49 AM
64 123