Although with the three android buttons shown on all leaks, IF the new slider were to have gestures, consider this:

Since mostly all gestures (unlock screen, peek, homescreen from any app, and hub) all begin with swiping up, would the motion of swiping up accidentally slide the screen mechanism forward exposing the keyboard when users did not intend for it?

I wonder what the required sensitivity for gestures is versus sliding the screen forward... : /

Anyways, can't wait for this sweet device (pls port all the bb10 features blackberry!!)

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 09:05 AM
    No one knows if it will even have gestures. Even if it did I don't think it would take that little pressure to slide the keyboard up.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 09:16 AM
    I don't think this would be too much of an issue. I mean, I don't hear many people complain about pushing their current BB10 devices off their hand when they swipe up. As long as you don't push down too hard, the friction shouldn't be enough.

But as was said... we don't even know if they will have the down-up gesture.
    08-31-15 09:18 AM
    I don't think this would be too much of an issue. I mean, I don't hear many people complain about pushing their current BB10 devices off their hand when they swipe up. As long as you don't push down too hard, the friction shouldn't be enough.

But as was said... we don't even know if they will have the down-up gesture.
    Yea that's what I meant by the three android buttons - suggesting there won't be our beloved gestures.

I never owned a slider before so I'm not sure how much pressure is needed to slide the mechanism.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 09:21 AM
    Doesn't swiping up on some androids bring up Google now or something? Isn't it feasible to hijack this gesture for hub access?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 09:58 AM
    Yea that's what I meant by the three android buttons - suggesting there won't be our beloved gestures.

I never owned a slider before so I'm not sure how much pressure is needed to slide the mechanism.

Posted via CB10
    You'll need quite a lot more pressure than you apply while swiping up on your screen. At least I don't really apply any pressure at all with my thumbs when swiping on my BB10 devices.
    The mechanism on all my previous sliders was rather tight anf, if an rumoured Reddit report is true, the Venice's mechanism also is not an exception and required some force. Everything else would be stupid anyways: You don't want that keyboard spring open by accident all the time due to a poor sliding mechanism.
    09-01-15 12:40 AM
    While the Torch didn't support gestures, there were circumstances where you had to swipe from the bottom (scrolling through a list, for instance). Won't be an issue.

ETA: There's a definite lip at the bottom of the screen. I suspect users will typically push on that to deploy the keyboard.
    09-01-15 12:45 AM
    One action involves little to no friction between your thumb and the screen. The other involves a lot of friction and no movement of the screen in relation to the thumb . You would have to put ball bearings in the slider and let it fall open when tilted in order to confuse the two actions.
    09-01-15 01:34 AM
    BB10 gestures are just as we know them on the Android version.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 10:02 AM