Since there is no root access is it possible to remove all Google services and apps ?!

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 02:36 AM
    Since there is no root access is it possible to remove all Google services and apps ?!

Posted via CB10
    not possible without root. But why would you buy a Priv without taking advantage of the Android ecosystem of apps?
    southlander likes this.
    11-27-15 03:55 AM
    not possible without root. But why would you buy a Priv without taking advantage of the Android ecosystem of apps?
    I'd buy it if I could remove Google. Most of the people who do not want to move from BB10 to Priv do not want Google data mining them.
    11-27-15 06:06 AM
    Haha ;-). If you want Android without Google, you must buy in China.

Posted via CB10
    bitek likes this.
    11-27-15 06:08 AM
    I don't want android!
    I bought a macBook mini 12 inch retina display for its looks and I installed Linux on it.
    I'd buy the Priv for the hardware, with BB10.
    No android, no IoS or MacOs, no windows for me!
    Software is just not good enough.
    11-27-15 06:27 AM
    I don't want android!
    I bought a macBook mini 12 inch retina display for its looks and I installed Linux on it.
    Not going to happen so move on. Priv OS with get many update in coming months.
    This is exactly what happened when Z10 came out. Now with 10.2.3 it's a as smooth as can be. Same will be again as Priv BlackBerry Ltd apps are all enhanced....

Posted from my Priv!
    Theicecreamman likes this.
    11-27-15 07:09 AM
    Not going to happen so move on. Priv OS with get many update in coming months.
    This is exactly what happened when Z10 came out. Now with 10.2.3 it's a as smooth as can be. Same will be again as Priv BlackBerry Ltd apps are all enhanced....

Posted from my Priv!
    I wasn't commenting on how android and BlackBerry apps run on the Priv.
    I was complaining about Google data mining android and how bad IoS, MacOS and Windows software were and still are.
    11-27-15 07:48 AM
    I don't want android!
    Why waste money on a MacBook if you're going to install Linux on it? Status symbol or what?

Posted via CB10
    Theicecreamman likes this.
    11-27-15 08:03 AM
    You all are jon snows

http://www.xda-developers.com/settin...ithout-google/

Works with lollipop too. I'll be doing this the minute I get my priv.

NOPE you don't need root for everything except the first one which is not really google related anyway.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 08:18 AM
    Why waste money on a MacBook if you're going to install Linux on it? Status symbol or what?

Posted via CB10
    It's my first Mac ever and I have had personal computers since 1984.

Because it has a nice high resolution display and it is very light and nice looking, perfect for travelling. I looked at windows laptops and they were worse for almost the same price. I would have installed Linux on it, too, as I have for the past 21 years.
    11-27-15 08:33 AM
    You all are jon snows

Setting up Android Marshmallow, without Google - XDA Forums

Works with lollipop too. I'll be doing this the minute I get my priv.

NOPE you don't need root for everything except the first one which is not really google related anyway.

Posted via CB10
    sure it can be done but why they hell do that. You might as well stay on BB10 if you don't want to have the play store and such installed
    11-27-15 08:35 AM
    It's my first Mac ever and I have had personal computers since 1984.

Because it has a nice high resolution display and it is very light and nice looking, perfect for travelling. I looked at windows laptops and they were worse for almost the same price. I would have installed Linux on it, too, as I have for the past 21 years.
    Fair enough. Some of the HP Spectre models are quite nice also.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 08:54 AM
    Fair enough. Some of the HP Spectre models are quite nice also.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. I had an HP laptop before. I still have it, but it's 4-years old and wanted a backup in case it fails. I may go back to an HP or Dell laptop.
    The processor on the macBook 12 inch is disappointing.
    11-27-15 08:58 AM
    To support BlackBerry?

sure it can be done but why they hell do that. You might as well stay on BB10 if you don't want to have the play store and such installed
    Google may manage Android, but in reality Google does not necessarily = Android; that is why there is a separate licensing (and compatibility clauses) to get Play, G Services, and GApps onto a device on top of AOSP and/or "Google Android". Those apps and services are privately held property owned by Google and are not "Android".

2. Even without Play, or with other solutions to get Play apps onto the Priv sans "Google", there are still way more apps available and native than anything BB10.

3. Edge, better specs if that matters, slider, ...

4. Ability to re-install Google as wanted/needed. Too many people claim to like Android because of some sort of freedom of choice BS. I say it is BS because if you cannot naturally uninstall something like Chrome, Play, or G Services than that is not very freedom-like to me. Having the ability to remove Google would not only give us more freedom but in reality would not make much of a difference for Google as most would elect to not remove Google (considering that most don't root and of many that do they still keep the Google).

You know, Google's solution is to simply disable/hide the app. They claim to go this route just in case you want the app again at some point in the future. That's dumb. For one *your* app is achieved on their servers anyways so permanently storing the app on the device is a waste of space.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    11-27-15 10:43 AM
    Actually, and if I'm not mistaken, the reason why you can't remove google apps is because they are part of the factory image.
    Removing it would mean allowing access to the system partition, which is not allowed or recommended unless you have root and want to possibly brick your device.

Could they have just included it as optional? Unlikely, seeing if Blackberry ever wants Google Play Services on their devices, they need to agree to the licensing Google has set out.
    11-27-15 12:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually Linus Torvalds(creator of Linux) has a macbook air 11 though he hates Apple

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 01:51 PM
    Haha ;-). If you want Android without Google, you must buy in China.

Posted via CB10
    Most of costum roms would do that for you since they're mostly open source android without any Google stuff. But still it doesn't seem there would be any available for priv

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 01:57 PM
    Bb10 android support is buggy and the os is slowly dyeing. No point of stay for much longer

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 02:02 PM
    I can argue your point from various view points:

1. Can you find me a BB10 device with a 16:9 1440p screen with a widespread native app support and a PKB?

2. Because im a consumer and as a consumer I can do what I want with my device regardless?

3. Because I want a blackberry with android but not google?

There are a few more I could list but you get the point. It's about consumer freedom.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 02:38 PM
    Well buying a mac and installing Linux is like buying a Ferrari and putting a corvette engine, why? I can understand building something from spare parts, but dismantling it from new. Try getting an older iPhone and putting BB10 on it. That I would like to see.
    11-27-15 02:48 PM
    Well buying a mac and installing Linux is like buying a Ferrari and putting a corvette engine, why? I can understand building something from spare parts, but dismantling it from new. Try getting an older iPhone and putting BB10 on it. That I would like to see.
    If you like using Linux on your computers you only have two options: a PC/laptop which usually (not always) comes with Windows pre-installed, or a Mac.
    In either case I disable the original OS. So, the only difference is the hardware.

MacOs is not the Ferrari to Linux. MacOs (ElCapitan) is garbage compared to Linux, starting with multitasking and many other childish restrictions typical of chairman Jobs' dictatorial ways..
    11-27-15 08:59 PM