Remember when BlackBerry made their first foray into the tablet market with their exciting, new QNX OS rocking the solidly-spec'ed PlayBook, which they marketed as the first "professional tablet!" I only paid $179.99 for my 32 Gb PlayBook at the fire sale.

Be patient because it seems like "d�j� vu all over again!"
    10-25-15 09:39 AM
    I agree that exchange rate right now isn't the greatest. But is the iPhone tax exempt? I don't understand what you meant.
    The iPhone isn't tax exempt but the price difference still hurts and it's due to the exchange rate primarily. Even if you do a price comparison in the two countries it's still high (talking about the CAD pricing)
    10-25-15 10:09 AM
    Remember when BlackBerry made their first foray into the tablet market with their exciting, new QNX OS rocking the solidly-spec'ed PlayBook, which they marketed as the first "professional tablet!" I only paid $179.99 for my 32 Gb PlayBook at the fire sale.

Be patient because it seems like "d�j� vu all over again!"
    It is not the same I think. Apps are everything in the world of mobile phones. I guess it is the same reason why windows is so much more popular than Mac OS. Hardware without software is nothing
    Does not matter how good it is.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 11:53 AM
    Crazy price? Microsoft tried that with the sub $200 W8 phones...and where did that get them? Last I checked, the flagship w10 phones (lumina XL) costs similar ($50 isn't a big deal), run windows so they have lack of apps... yet no one bats an eye. BB releases the first flagship phone with a hardware keyboard in like 3 years, prices it so, and everyone loses their minds.

Ive posted this a million times before; your average consumer 1) doesn't care about price, they see LG, sony, samsung, BB all the same 2) they buy whatever phone the carrier rep tells them to. When the Q10 came out, and I went to AT&T to buy it, I asked the carrier rep how it was going. He told me that there is a lot of interest for a hardware keyboard (across all age groups too), but lack of apps on BB10 was why he couldnt recommend it. Iately I have had friends who no nothing about phones ask me (I'm the "phone guy") about the Priv...3) everything costs the same...an iPhone, s6, note 5, g4, priv, etc...all cost around the same at carriers, well AT&T at least. 4) not many people buy phones outright...id say 80-90% of people buy through carrier stores on contract or some sort of finance plan

The Priv doesn't need to be priced cheap to be successful. It needs to be a good phone and people will buy just for the keyboard alone. 5 million a year is a drop in the bucket in terms of sales and I believe that if its on all 4 carriers in the US then they must believe its worth it as well.
    The Lumia 950XL destroys the Priv on specs. Love the dedicated shutter button, too. And with a removable battery, the Lumia is more BlackBerry than the Priv. It's a flagship like Windows other very expensive flagships -- not the same category as the sub-$200 phones. What Windows gained with the sub-$200 phones was taking third in marketshare and, thus, hurting BlackBerry10 OS.

Since BlackBerry is no longer a mobile phone platform, but instead a device maker, it no longer makes sense for them to discount to build marketshare for the platform the phones run on. They'd be building marketshare for Google! So, they should try to have larger margins and thus higher prices and profits even if it means a lower quantity demanded.

I'm not shy about saying that I don't like the Chen-era, but this is where we are at. Microsoft's Nadella has been brilliant. Chen is less-than-brilliant, indeed. I knew when the board hired Chen that our race with Windows was over...

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-26-15 12:50 PM
    The Lumia 950XL destroys the Priv on specs. Love the dedicated shutter button, too. And with a removable battery, the Lumia is more BlackBerry than the Priv. It's a flagship like Windows other very expensive flagships -- not the same category as the sub-$200 phones. What Windows gained with the sub-$200 phones was taking third in marketshare and, thus, hurting BlackBerry10 OS.

Since BlackBerry is no longer a mobile phone platform, but instead a device maker, it no longer makes sense for them to discount to build marketshare for the platform the phones run on. They'd be building marketshare for Google! So, they should try to have larger margins and thus higher prices and profits even if it means a lower quantity demanded.

I'm not shy about saying that I don't like the Chen-era, but this is where we are at. Microsoft's Nadella has been brilliant. Chen is less-than-brilliant, indeed. I knew when the board hired Chen that our race with Windows was over...

Posted via CB10
    As if you just compared Microsoft to BlackBerry.

They have their pc users, Xbox, etc

I guarantee you if they didn't have their huge windows user base, nothing to do with their phones, they'd be out of the phone game a lot quicker.

There was no race, BlackBerry is a small fish against a whale in Microsoft.

If Microsoft succeeds in mobile it'll be because they had the money to ride everything out and because of their enormous user base in Windows, not phones but their software.

Sorta tired of all the Chen hating, Heins had significantly more hype and momentum with the brand and they lost so much money on the z10 and q10 and of course playbook. The z30 was fantastic at its time and launched with no marketing at all.

Chen was given a piece of garbage to start with.

#dirtythirty #naturalsound #CB10 #glassweave
    10-26-15 01:50 PM
    The botched "launch" of the Priv along with the ridiculous price only proves one thing...BlackBerry is setting themselves up to exit the hardware market.
    Year after year after year?
    10-26-15 03:44 PM
56 123