Good morning,

Let me be the first to say that this website/forum has been a saving grace for someone like myself who needed to find an easy solution to "what the heck is happening with my beloved phone brand."

Quick History (for background on my mindset): I am not a tech guy, simply put, I don't have time to be. I use my phone for work (tons of emails), personal (simple family and business photos and text messaging), occasional web searching, weather, and similar. I am not a gamer, I am not a content streamer, etc. I am a decade long BB user currently on a Bold, but previously and preferably the torch (until I ran it into the ground).

My issues: In case the above has not already provided you the obvious issues, The Priv is a leap far into the unknown. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but I need a "genius bar" to get me there. I have been reading this forum for a while about all of your collective experiences and I have been the ATT store to go through the standard motions of experiencing the phone first hand. Thus far I am left with a growing concern that shifting from my very legacy platform to the Priv will be a potential nightmare for me. I do not have the time to search Andriod forums for the best file manager or latest security update or battery manager, or an app to program the LED light (really, come on) or anything else. This has been the joy of BB all along; it just runs and works like a Clydesdale for a business user. I run two emails (one personal and one work Microsoft cloud) nothing more. I do not spend hours on Twitter, FB, WhatsApp, etc. sure I have a log in here or there, but it is a sideshow for me not a central hub of life. Finally and most importantly, I put a HUGE value on privacy of data, location, etc. for that reason I am incredibly wary of Andriod (and Apple). I do not like FB/LinkedIn searching my email or personal contacts to see who I know. I hate the idea that the various apps I engage with desire to or are mining my info for their personal gain. I want this stuff turned off as much as possible.

My ask to this group: what the heck is makes sense for a dinosaur like myself? Wait around a bit longer to see if another BB10 phone is ever released? (the most recent press releases seem to have Chen stating that the platform will survive). Hang around for the "Vienna" to see if it is a bit more usable (as the Priv is straight up enormous and borderline cumbersome). I tried the Classic but was shocked at how heavy it is (a freaking brick). What will be the best way for me to as seamlessly as possible transfer my basic information over to a new platform? It is not much information, but having a simple transition is paramount to productivity.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and offer ideas. I am truly grateful.
    11-13-15 10:27 AM
    From using the Bold, I think the logical upgrade would be the Classic. I've been using it for almost a year and it has been working great. It's a very solid phone and not a huge difference from the Bold except the BB10 software of course. The learning curve is somewhat high compared to OS7, but still less than the Priv with Android and you would be more familiar with the software.

I ordered the Priv as I have some experience with Android and the larger screen for me would be great. I've used a lot of technology over the years and can adapt even though I'm over 60. Still, it easier to go with what you know and the Classic, I think, would be a good choice.

Good luck

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 11:02 AM
    This would be an open debate.

My two cents, going from BB10 to Priv for someone that is unfamiliar with Android, you are going to need time to adjust.

That said, when to make the change, depends on the person. The BBOS and BB10 ecosystems are now effectively obsolete, they go onto life support. And at some point we need to adapt to the new technology or let it go by and change completely.

Priv is a public beta in many ways. It's been battle tested and solid but like BB10, will need time to grow into its own. It's individual choice I think if you want to go bleeding edge or wait for stabilization and price normalization.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    11-13-15 11:03 AM
    Go for the classic or passport on BlackBerry 10. It's the best possible device
    11-13-15 01:46 PM
    So subjective, and I'm not in your paradigm at present, OP, however, I was.

About 5 years ago running my Bold 9780 I dove into iPhone and Android both on a spare line swapping SIMS to get used to them. Over the years I kept using them and upgraded both as well as my Bold to a 9900, and now a Q5 with a Z30. I use both and swap sims depending on where I will be. I don't subject the Z30 to harsh conditions. That's for the Q5.

The thing is, nothing, to me, is close to BB10. I still have a 9900 Bridged to a Playbook on my Primary business line. OS7 is good for what it does, but it does not compare to BB10 for form, function and elegance. However, OS7 has some big advantages over BB10, It is more robust for hard core business. I think it actually handles email a bit better than BB10. Slightly but to me a bit better. It automates business functions like accepting GOTOMEETING invitations much better than any platform, and it automates travel with BlackBerry Travel better than any other platform. Finally, it runs Nobex Contacts that auto-scrubs incoming email for contact info and auto contact setup BETTER than ANY OTHER Platform or App bar none.

Yet, BB10 does gain you some nice things. The HUB is genius. It's the one clarifying feature that sets BBerry apart from any other platform. It's newer than OS7 obviously, and runs more current Apps. It can access the Amazon App store for BBerry10. It's the most elegant OS on the market. It glides. It's beautiful.

Jumping from BB07 to Android is going to be a learning curve. Android is highly customizable. It is feature rich with Widgets and millions of Apps. But it's clunky. It does NOTHING like your BBerry Curve does. It's app driven. You need an app for everything apart from the core system and email/Text.

If it were me, I'd jump on BB10. The Z30 is till a fine phone and the price has come way down. You can get one for $200 unlocked from Amazon. The Q10 is there if you want. The Q5 is very inexpensive and works great. It's a highly underrated phone. Then there is the BlackBerry Classic. I agree with an earlier post that the Classic will be the easiest for you to jump to because of the toolbelt you are used to from your Curve.

I don't think the Priv and Android are anything you will be able to relate to what you are on now. There is absolutely no similarity. It's going to be a learning curve. BB10 will be much closer to home, and will give you some of the same experience, especially if you jump to a BlackBerry Classic.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck in your search. I'm sure it will work out for you.
    11-13-15 02:31 PM
    If i was in your shoes. I'd get the classic or passport. BB10 will be supported long enough to get your money's worth out of a new device. But sadly BB10 will probably cease to exist eventually. So, I'd get an android tablet to play with and get used to the is. Then you'll be more prepared when the day comes that you have to get an android phone.
    Or
    Buy a priv on a Friday and clear your schedule for a weekend. Keep a charger handy and don't put it down until you're comfortable with it.

Curve8300 - Curve9220 - Torch9850 - Z10 - Priv
    11-13-15 02:38 PM
    I wanted to add one more thing, OP, but wanted a separate post for it.

There is NOTHING wrong with being a Dinosaur. I'm a bit of a Dinosaur too. I still use a BB 9900 with a Playbook for my primary business line. Why? Because it just works GREAT for me, that's why. Technology can be great, but keeping up with the leading edge is very expensive and very elusive. What I like about BlackBerry is it seems to stand the test of time better than any other platform. You can't have an old Android 2.3 running today and expect it to perform well. It's slow, clunky, awkward and many Droid Apps must be version 4.x or above to run, so much of the App market will not be available on older Droids.

BlackBerry is different. My 9900 runs just as well today as it did when introduced. The apps all work, and BIS is still viable.
    Being a Dinosaur also gives you advantages. You can get slightly older technology for a FRACTION of the price of new leading edge items. And the Accessories are DIRT CHEAP.

I just bought a BlackBerry Mini Bluetooth Speaker originally $99.00 for $14.00 on Amazon. I buy cases and screen protectors for my 9900 and Playbook and even my Q5 and Z30 since they are now a bit older for pennies on the dollar. Think of the money you save by being slightly behind the leading edge. Anything introduced today will be dated in a year. But BlackBerry seems to endure better than other platforms. Being a Dinosaur on BlackBerry is not a bad thing.

So if you got a BB10 CLASSIC, I believe that it will stand the test of time. I feel it will be a solid performer for 3 or 4 years with no issues and very little app bleed (apps that are retired on the platform).
    11-13-15 02:40 PM
    Pick up a classic or a Passport and return the priv. You'll fall in love all over again with BlackBerry 10

 PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 
    11-23-15 02:36 PM
    Good morning,

Let me be the first to say that this website/forum has been a saving grace for someone like myself who needed to find an easy solution to "what the heck is happening with my beloved phone brand."

Quick History (for background on my mindset): I am not a tech guy, simply put, I don't have time to be. I use my phone for work (tons of emails), personal (simple family and business photos and text messaging), occasional web searching, weather, and similar. I am not a gamer, I am not a content streamer, etc. I am a decade long BB user currently on a Bold, but previously and preferably the torch (until I ran it into the ground).

My issues: In case the above has not already provided you the obvious issues, The Priv is a leap far into the unknown. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but I need a "genius bar" to get me there. I have been reading this forum for a while about all of your collective experiences and I have been the ATT store to go through the standard motions of experiencing the phone first hand. Thus far I am left with a growing concern that shifting from my very legacy platform to the Priv will be a potential nightmare for me. I do not have the time to search Andriod forums for the best file manager or latest security update or battery manager, or an app to program the LED light (really, come on) or anything else. This has been the joy of BB all along; it just runs and works like a Clydesdale for a business user. I run two emails (one personal and one work Microsoft cloud) nothing more. I do not spend hours on Twitter, FB, WhatsApp, etc. sure I have a log in here or there, but it is a sideshow for me not a central hub of life. Finally and most importantly, I put a HUGE value on privacy of data, location, etc. for that reason I am incredibly wary of Andriod (and Apple). I do not like FB/LinkedIn searching my email or personal contacts to see who I know. I hate the idea that the various apps I engage with desire to or are mining my info for their personal gain. I want this stuff turned off as much as possible.

My ask to this group: what the heck is makes sense for a dinosaur like myself? Wait around a bit longer to see if another BB10 phone is ever released? (the most recent press releases seem to have Chen stating that the platform will survive). Hang around for the "Vienna" to see if it is a bit more usable (as the Priv is straight up enormous and borderline cumbersome). I tried the Classic but was shocked at how heavy it is (a freaking brick). What will be the best way for me to as seamlessly as possible transfer my basic information over to a new platform? It is not much information, but having a simple transition is paramount to productivity.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and offer ideas. I am truly grateful.
    Patience and an open mind are the pre-requisites to learning a new os. Setting up the device is quite user friendly. You'll enjoy that about the Priv. Your accounts that you described can be easily set up. The app control settings might require a good part of an evening but otherwise I think it will be a good device for you. Remember forum members are always there to assist if you need help.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    11-23-15 04:21 PM
    My business partner was ins exactly your situation, except he gave up and switched to Android after watching th beleaguered BlackBerry stock until recently. He now wishes he had waited. Fortunately for me, the Priv came just in time for me. Make the leap, endure the learning curve and you'll be rewarded with a long lived phone like the ones you've trusted in the past. The King is indeed back.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-23-15 05:34 PM
    If you have the Bold... get the passport. You won't be sorry!

Jaglenn's Passport
    12-01-15 11:46 AM
    Jump on the PRIV and just use it. No need to do what you don't like or need.
    BB10 is alredy a dead platform and PRIV is superb.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 11:54 AM
    This forum can also be a bain. There are quite a bit of fuds and bs you have to troll through to find useful info. That being said we(some of us) are here to help. If you are already used to BB10 stick with it. if you are coming from BB7 you may as well jump to Priv as the jump to BB10 is a close chasm maybe off by a few hair from BB7.

BB7----> BB10 = easier, more logical progression, but it will make the jump to Android equally as bad.
    if you use BB7 and RELY on the track pad, bb10 is no better for you than Android unless you go with the Classic which is good but relegated device(form factor).

BB7--->Priv = hard jump but for a BB7 trackpad user it may be easier if you use the keyboard as a trackpad. If you like the Torch then a Priv would be better as well. HW alone Priv vs Torch is like Transformer is to Go-bots. Since you are a dinosaur you will know the reference.
    12-01-15 12:16 PM
    Unlike you, I have plenty of time to tweak my phone and make everything work the way I want it to. I quickly accustomed myself to Android from BB10 and I love my Priv. But if you're still on a Bold 9900, I think the most logical upgrade would be to a BlackBerry Classic. Although BlackBerry is moving towards phasing out BB10, I don't think this matters to you because you're still on BBOS7.

Keep in mind that there will always be a learning curve going to a new OS. However, BB10 has a smaller learning curve than Android.
    12-01-15 01:19 PM
    If you want a modern phone that will work out of box with almost no learning curve, get an iPhone.
    12-01-15 02:07 PM
    If you want a modern phone that will work out of box with almost no learning curve, get an iPhone.
    How to save a file to a directory I created on a iPhone?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    12-01-15 03:09 PM
    If you found the Classic too heavy the Q10 would be a safe bet. But i went from a Z10 to a classic, back to a Z10 and now on to a Priv. It is huge compared to a Z10 but I'm getting used to it quickly. Android is pretty user friendly as far as function. And it's great to have the option of the keyboard for longer emails and still not lose the perks of a full screen.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-01-15 03:42 PM
    This would be an open debate.

My two cents, going from BB10 to Priv for someone that is unfamiliar with Android, you are going to need time to adjust.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven

As a longtime BlackBerry smartphone user the transition from BackBerry OS 10 took a whopping to two days to be completely comfortable with BlackBerry Android.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    12-01-15 03:49 PM
    Interesting comment. My husband gave me an iphone 5 several years ago. I never ever got the hang of it, and never even carried it around. Didn't like the look or feel of and it seemed complicated to me. (I really hurt my husband's feelings as he felt that I would love it). Then almost a year ago, I read about the BB Classic and ordered it. I loved it from the first minute and did not find it complicated in any way. My mind and the Classic just clicked. I did handle the Priv yesterday for about 10 minutes at Bell Canada kiosk. I didn't love it on first sight like I did with my Classic, and I did find I had to seek direction several times from the sales agent. He was surprised as he said if I could use BB Classic I had "aptitude" so was a little puzzled that little things puzzled me with the Priv. I might wait for the Vienna as the Priv just had too much presence for the likes of me LOL. But I do plan on going back and asking to play with the Priv again after all the Christmas rush is over.
    12-01-15 03:58 PM
    I am in the OP's exact mindset. Have Z10, waiting for VZW to roll put Priv - wondering if it will be best move for me.
    Many thanks to all for excellent guidance.

MDZ
    12-01-15 04:16 PM
    Interesting comment. My husband gave me an iphone 5 several years ago. I never ever got the hang of it, and never even carried it around. Didn't like the look or feel of and it seemed complicated to me. (I really hurt my husband's feelings as he felt that I would love it). Then almost a year ago, I read about the BB Classic and ordered it. I loved it from the first minute and did not find it complicated in any way. My mind and the Classic just clicked. I did handle the Priv yesterday for about 10 minutes at Bell Canada kiosk. I didn't love it on first sight like I did with my Classic, and I did find I had to seek direction several times from the sales agent. He was surprised as he said if I could use BB Classic I had "aptitude" so was a little puzzled that little things puzzled me with the Priv. I might wait for the Vienna as the Priv just had too much presence for the likes of me LOL. But I do plan on going back and asking to play with the Priv again after all the Christmas rush is over.
    Thanks. Nice post. I switch back and forth bw iphone 5s and passport. I find both easy to use.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 04:50 PM
    Coming from a 9900 though? There will be learning curve.
    12-01-15 05:37 PM
    Coming from a 9900 though? There will be learning curve.
    My 77 year old dad went from curve to iphone with no problems. The iphone so easy to use there's no manual.

I still love my Passport. But I think it's days are numbered.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 05:46 PM
    Lot's of great replies in here for you OP. From what you said you wanted the phone to do, I'll also agree that going to a BlackBerry Classic or Q5/Q10 would probably suit your needs best. If your old BlackBerry is still working, no reason that BlackBerry 10 phones won't still be usable for quite a few years also. BlackBerry may not update the Operating system too much more after February 2016, but it will still work just as your old BlackBerry phone still does now. I do agree with another poster to get yourself an Android tablet and definitely play around on it at your leisure to learn it. I was going to get the Priv, but my Z30 just works the way I need it to. It handles my 6 email accounts with no problems. I occasionally use Facebook, Twitter and of course Crackberry lol! I'm really not an "app" person but I did put Netflix on it (an Android app) and it works fine. For me, making calls, my email, texting and browsing on the Web is pretty much all I really do with it. I hope this helps you find what you're looking for. Whichever phone you do decide to go with there's always help on Mobile Nations ( Imore, Crackberry, Android Central and Windows also! ). Good luck to you!

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    12-01-15 06:10 PM
    I agree! My husband had a samsung that he broke glass on. He is using my Q10 for a few months. Very business like, stock markets, news from around the world. Still likes getting pics on phone. He loves the Q10. He's rough with it. Throws it in pocket and goes. I think he is stuck he loves it so much.

Jaglenn's Passport
    12-02-15 11:42 AM
29 12