Hi there everyone,

I am a brand new priv user. I took the device out of the box, before doing anything I updated to Marshmallow. Next step was installing apps and app updates.

Dear Lord is it absolutely painfully slow. I mean sometimes 10 minutes to update or install small applications.

I've had countless android phones before, I've never experienced this. Everything else about the phone is zippy and super fast. But I'm just not sure why it's taking so long to install and update apps.

Is this normal behavior? Did anyone else experience this and fix it?

Any help with this is appreciated

Thanks!
    08-04-16 07:50 PM
    I have noticed a decrease in the speed to download and install new applications from the Google Play Store. The issue might be the latest software update or Google Play Store infrastructure. Maybe Chen negotiated the slow down to encourage moving to the BlackBerry DTEK50.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    08-04-16 08:43 PM
    I'll have to time one next time but I feel like they happen pretty quickly unless it's a large file size or my data connection is janky...small ones update and install in less than a minute easy.

Posted on my Priv via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-04-16 09:04 PM
    No ,they are extremely slow to download!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-04-16 09:06 PM
    Or its an internet provider thing

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    08-04-16 09:18 PM
    Thanks for the rely guys.

I tried doing a few things while helped the install speed a little. Clearing google play cache and play services Cache and restarting the phone. When I say it helped a little, I mean very little. But noticeable enough where I thought a saw a difference. So that's good.

In terms of downloading apps, that still is baffling. I ran a speed test and I'm getting 30 Mbps down. Browsing the Internet and loading web pages I super fast. But downloading apps seems to take forever.

Glad to know others have this issue. I was worried I would have to do a factory restart and try all over and then if that didn't fix the problem, spend hours reinstalling and updating apps.

At least apps only need to be installed once!
    Last edited by jbarrack; 08-05-16 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Typos
    08-05-16 05:51 AM
    Having the issue as well since marshmallow, definitely a software problem.

Posted via priv
    08-05-16 06:02 AM
    Good thing the install process is only repeated once. Hopefully they're able to fix this via a software update soon.
    08-05-16 07:35 AM
    I think it's definitely something related to the way DTEK and the kernel hardening works..

Posted via my PRIV!
    08-05-16 07:38 AM
    Its your interent provider. Happens on all Android devices. When I called my provider they reset something and it was ok y for a few months but now it's back. For me it happens every evening. Somethimg to do with DNS. It's not slow if you are not on WiFi.
    Some people have fixed it by changing DNS.

saeengineer likes this.
    08-05-16 07:46 AM
    Well the weird part is it never did this on my S7 Edge (Marshmallow) I just replaced the Priv with. Which is why I was initially concerned that there was something wrong with the Priv I purchased.

But I think you're on to something here, I'm at work on a different Wifi connection (granted its 110mbps down) but it was noticeably quicker to download AND install apps.
    08-05-16 07:57 AM
    Hmm my wifes S6 does it on my home WiFi too. Every night there is a same issue. Also happens on a G4. Priv is on LL but others on MM.
    Last time I called my Internet provider it was fixed for a while. Its definitely something inside Android but it's not the whole story. Many people have the issue and some have fixed it by changing the DNS. For my modem it's locked though.
    I'm going to have to call my ISP again.

saeengineer likes this.
    08-05-16 08:06 AM
    Downloading isn't an issue on my phone it's when it installs the update the takes forever. Sometimes it takes several minutes to install each update of an app

Posted via the Priv for Android
    08-05-16 12:59 PM
    i just received a replacement phone and installing was much faster on 5.1.1. once i updated it to MM, installing apps decreased the speed drastically.
    08-05-16 01:28 PM
    i just received a replacement phone and installing was much faster on 5.1.1. once i updated it to MM, installing apps decreased the speed drastically.
    Same thing on my Nexus. Must be a "feature" of MM.
    08-05-16 01:31 PM
    I've been able to fix this on occasion by turning off wifi and downloading straight over 4g. No idea why this would be, but for whatever reason it will often download much much faster this way.

08-05-16 02:39 PM
    Something with Android and Google. Happens on my WiFi every night, it's fine during the day. Go figure.

08-05-16 07:49 PM
    Hey Guys ...quick update. I restored the phone to factory settings in an attempt to try and get rid of the phone getting hot issue and it seems to have cleared up the slow install install and download issue. Everything seems very fast now. Now I just have to hope the heating issue goes away.
    08-06-16 06:48 AM
    Agreed, but with me also it is the install time, not the download time. So that would seem to point to a software issue.
    08-06-16 12:46 PM
    I've noticed this on my Nexus, so it's not the Priv. More than likely a combination of servers network etc.

08-06-16 12:58 PM
    I have noticed a decrease in the speed to download and install new applications from the Google Play Store. The issue might be the latest software update or Google Play Store infrastructure. Maybe Chen negotiated the slow down to encourage moving to the BlackBerry DTEK50.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    I see Black helicopters..................................WOOOO OOOOF!.........LOL
    FF22 likes this.
    08-06-16 03:53 PM
    Same thing on my Nexus. Must be a "feature" of MM.
    I found once the Priv updates, the G store sloooowed down. Of to Tech support seems to be a G store issue..........update should fix.
    08-06-16 03:55 PM
    Yep, horribly slow.

08-06-16 04:34 PM
    You guys are lucky, can't download anything. Getting error code

08-07-16 01:45 AM
    You guys are lucky, can't download anything. Getting error code

Google Play Store Error 963 - 3 Ways to Fix | Fix Errors

Getting Error Code 963 / 907 from the Play S… | HTC One (M8)

Still Can't Fix Error 963 on Google PlayStore - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    andy957 likes this.
    08-07-16 08:57 AM
31 12