Hi.

I have pkb gestures enabled.

It works fine for erasing words, double tap to use cursor, and the scrolling feature works too.

I can't for the life of me however figure out how to flick words up onto the screen while typing......

Am I missing something here...??
    Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

Flick or clicked with my Priv.
    12-10-15 08:22 PM
    Actually I had no problem doing this on my Passport but it's a lot harder on the Priv.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-10-15 08:54 PM
    I am actually the opposite of you. On the Priv, I find it much easier to use the flick typing than on the Passport. All I do is move my fingers up quickly from the bottom of the keyboard and get all the words flicked up without any hassle. It was harder for me to do so on the Passport. I tried to flick now as many words as possible in this reply and have no issues

12-10-15 09:02 PM
    Actually I had no problem doing this on my Passport but it's a lot harder on the Priv.

It strangely seems easier the less you try. If I barely graze my finger over it, especially if I do it quickly, it actually works extraordinarily well. If, however, I actually try to do it, it doesn't register as well. As counter-intuitive and nonsensical as this might sound, stop trying as much when you attempt it. Pretend that it's an extremely sensitive touch screen that requires almost no pressure.

12-10-15 09:04 PM
    this was a sentence that I flicked up and it is true that you just have to do it effortlessly and quickly..

Cool!

One thing I wish they would fix is the placement of the predictions. On the full touch screen phones, the suggestion would appear near the next letter you would type, but on the physical keyboard, it seems to be random, or sometimes the word that is most likely to be the word you want, on the far left. Which doesn't allow the proper flow of your typing.

So I've found I don't use the flicking on my Passport at all, besides using it to erase words.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-15 09:26 PM
    I guess mine is not working.......
    What a bummer.

12-11-15 01:01 AM
    So I have tried 100% everything I can think of. I can't get the words to flick.
    I don't know what else to try.
    I really don't want to do an exchange, but is this what I should do??

Just to confirm, you guys are all flicking the physical board right,?? Not just teaching up and touching the glass screen to flick the words up???
    Because this does work. Just not the actual physical keyboard........ugh....

12-11-15 01:23 AM
    So I have tried 100% everything I can think of. I can't get the words to flick.
    I don't know what else to try.
    I really don't want to do an exchange, but is this what I should do??

Just to confirm, you guys are all flicking the physical board right,?? Not just teaching up and touching the glass screen to flick the words up???
    Because this does work. Just not the actual physical keyboard........ugh....

Do the other keyboard gestures work? Like scrolling on a Web page with the keyboard.

And yes we're flicking up on the keyboard surface. Not the screen. My flick starts from the bottom row, goes straight up and ends around the 2nd row from the top. It's a light touch and quickly done.
    12-11-15 04:51 AM
    Do the other keyboard gestures work? Like scrolling on a Web page with the keyboard.

And yes we're flicking up on the keyboard surface. Not the screen. My flick starts from the bottom row, goes straight up and ends around the 2nd row from the top. It's a light touch and quickly done.
    Only the word in the center above the three little dots can be flicked up on the actual keyboard below. Words on the left and right cannot be flicked on the keyboard below and needs to flick using fingers on the left and right.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    12-11-15 04:59 AM
    Only the word in the center above the three little dots can be flicked up on the actual keyboard below. Words on the left and right cannot be flicked on the keyboard below and needs to flick using fingers on the left and right.

I'm able to flick up any of the three words using the physical keyboard.
    12-11-15 05:06 AM
    Same here

12-11-15 05:18 AM
    It's very inconsistent for me. Works sometimes but not others. Actually worked fine when I typed this. Hoping the update makes it better.

12-11-15 05:46 AM
    It takes a couple of tries to get a word to flick up this should get addressed in a software update.

12-11-15 05:58 AM
    Mine 100% does not flick at all.
    And I used to flick all the time with my Passport .

12-11-15 07:35 AM
    Ended up having to do a factory reset. Bit of a pain, but I can now flick,....!!!

d a elliott likes this.
    12-12-15 10:16 AM
    I found that the key is to start the flick at the bottom edge if the pkb, right at the edge/lip.

PRIVateering since 2015.
    12-13-15 09:30 AM
    I'm able to flick up any of the three words using the physical keyboard.
    Yes yer right they can all be flicked just noticed that too!

12-13-15 02:34 PM
    Mine 100% does not flick at all.
    And I used to flick all the time with my Passport .

Do you have keyboard gestures enabled? Make sure you do.

Posted from my Priv
    12-13-15 05:45 PM
    Sometimes you might have your other thumb resting on the keyboard while flicking up and this could be a cause of it not working. I made sure that I was aware that the keyboard was completely cleared and I haven't had problems since.

12-13-15 10:52 PM
    All of a sudden, it's not working again.
    Very tempted to see how this phone does with my own test of throwing it as hard as I can against a concrete wall.....

Clicked and flicked with my Priv.
    12-16-15 12:33 PM

That's because The Priv is an Android and not a BlackBerry. Yeah the hardware is but under the hood it's all Google. Enjoy .

Posted via CB10
    12-16-15 12:36 PM
    That's because The Priv is an Android and not a BlackBerry. Yeah the hardware is but under the hood it's all Google. Enjoy .

Posted via CB10
    Very helpful. Thanks.

OP, instead of a security wipe, try clearing the cache.
    12-16-15 12:43 PM
    Very helpful. Thanks.

OP, instead of a security wipe, try clearing the cache.
    Clearing cache on what, the keyboard?? Will try that, thanks.

12-16-15 12:49 PM
    Clearing cache on what, the keyboard?? Will try that, thanks.

Nope, didn't do a thing by clearing cache on keyboard....
    Telus says send it in......

12-16-15 12:52 PM
    All of a sudden, it's not working again.
    Very tempted to see how this phone does with my own test of throwing it as hard as I can against a concrete wall.....

Are your latest observations after getting the BlackBerry Keyboard updated to 1.1.0.3942?

Outside of text input, does scrolling with the touch keypad work reliably both up and down?

I can't think of any obvious reason that flicking predictions would stop completely while swipes to delete words (or swipes down to cycle symbol pages) would continue to work. As long as you flick up covering enough distance with a high enough velocity it should detect a swipe up. If you've got 3 predictions listed, one of them should be selected. You can consider the keypad to be divided into three columns of equal width for the purposes of this gesture; swipe up far enough and fast enough in the left third of the keypad and you should get the leftmost prediction.

Some people have observed in this thread that a light touch seems to be required, as well as starting from the bottom of the keypad. This is explained by one very significant way in which a swipe up is different from a swipe down, left or right: your thumb may be hitting the bottom of the display before lifting. This causes rapid deceleration, and can result in the gesture failing to register sufficient velocity.

On the Passport there's no such barrier to hit with a swipe up, so the tuning is a little different.

The latest keyboard update does include some tweaks specifically to address this, so it should be easier to get flick predictions working even if you do strike the bottom of the display. However, you'll probably still find it's most reliable to use a light touch starting near the bottom of the keypad, lifting before "hitting the wall".

That said, going from working reliably after a factory reset to not working at all all of a sudden is not really explained by any of the above. I'm mulling this over...

You could try clearing BlackBerry Keyboard data as a less destructive measure than a factory reset (Settings -> Apps -> BlackBerry Keyboard -> CLEAR DATA), although:
    • You'll have to re-apply any non-default settings changes for the keyboard which you might have made (i.e. turning off vibration feedback)
    • Your learned words will be cleared, so predictions will seem a little less personal for a while as it relearns from your typing. If you've recently done a factory reset this may make little difference.

There really isn't anything cached there that should impact swipes in one direction only, but it's at least a relatively cheap test.

Note that having one thumb resting on the keypad shouldn't prevent another digit from being able to carry out a swipe gesture.

Regards,
    Mark (BlackBerry Keyboard development)
    12-16-15 01:48 PM
29 12