According to this article regarding the Pixel C Reddit AMA, the Director for Consumer Hardware claims that:

For double tap, we wanted to optimize for sleep battery life. The double tap drained the battery faster by leaving part of the touch screen enabled.
    Is this true? Has anyone with the Priv tested turning on/off this feature and seeing how it impacts battery life?
    12-10-15 11:37 AM
    This has always been the case. The touch panel needs to be powered at all times to detect touch events, but likely in a lower precision mode e.g. only part of the sensors are driven.
    12-10-15 12:30 PM
    The same goes for advanced interaction, hold to wake, flip to mute, lift to wake and etc.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-15 12:52 PM
    True, and now that I think of it when BB10 first came out people had the same questions about the "swipe to wake" functionality.

I remember I turned that off for the first few months until the software stabilized through updates before turning it back on. I suppose when/if I get a Priv I will experiment with it to see if it makes a noticeable difference.
    12-10-15 01:18 PM
    It does increase battery life on the G4 if you turn it off. Not by too much though.
    I'd rather keep it on.
    Dont think its as bad as the swipe to wake on BB10 in terms of battery life, so if you lived with that, you'll be fine with double tap
    12-10-15 03:44 PM
    Obviously it does, but with BlackBerry 10 devices, it has only had marginal benefits.

I do believe on a tablet one would want to have the best stand-by time, and it definitely helps to disable that function in that case. It's one of the reasons I believe BlackBerry 10 devices always drain more stand-by battery than their iphone and android counterparts
    12-10-15 04:22 PM
    I don't think it makes much difference when I have a light use morning and wake it up to see it tell me that at present use rates it's good for another 5 days

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-10-15 07:30 PM
    I don't think it makes much difference when I have a light use morning and wake it up to see it tell me that at present use rates it's good for another 5 days

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Well some people want their tablets to have 10 days stand by
    12-10-15 07:35 PM
    Obviously it does, but with BlackBerry 10 devices, it has only had marginal benefits.

I do believe on a tablet one would want to have the best stand-by time, and it definitely helps to disable that function in that case. It's one of the reasons I believe BlackBerry 10 devices always drain more stand-by battery than their iphone and android counterparts
    I haven't heard anyone say that their iPhone or Android phones have good battery life. None of my friends have said anything good about their batteries, ever. They look at my Z30 like it's made of magic fairy battery dust when it comes to battery life.

My iPad Mini has ridiculously long standby battery life, but I'm convinced it's because it's an iPad without a LTE radio.
    12-10-15 10:07 PM
    I have ZERO complaints about the Priv in the battery department.

Zero.

If you're having trouble its your apps. Find the ones that are screwing you and get rid of them.
    12-10-15 10:18 PM