I've now had my PRIV for (just about) one week. Overall I really like it. It feels solid and the physical keyboard is nice. Not as nice as my Q10 initially, but I'm getting used to the seemingly slightly smaller form factor. The battery life gets me through the day now that my usage has slowed down a little bit. It still gets hot. I had it installing a couple of larger apps from the Play Store yesterday and it got noticeably warm in my hand. Call quality is something that has really impressed me. It sounds like I'm right next to the person. I have no reception issues. I am waiting for an update so that I can properly write to my SD card.

I find the Hub to be mostly useless/redundant and have disabled it. I find that I am just as productive using the following apps:
    Business Calendar 2 (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...x.bizcal&hl=en)
    GMail

I experienced an issue with the Hub where it would not list folders for my Google Apps e-mail account. Because of this I was unable to file e-mail messages. I opened a case with BlackBerry, but that has not been resolved and they haven't acknowledged this as a potential issue.

I have also disabled: BlackBerry Services, Calendar, Camera, Tasks, and uninstalled the BlackBerry Device Search updates.

I have replaced the camera with Camera Zoom FX (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...meraZoom&hl=en) and have no issues with the quality of the pictures produced.

As far as customization I am running Zooper (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...er.zwpro&hl=en) widgets with the Retrorika (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...al.icons&hl=en) icon pack (which I got on sale for 50% off). I really like the customization that Zooper affords and the icons are very nice. I have recently installed the Swipe Up (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...putility&hl=en) utility but haven't configured it yet.

So far I much prefer Android to BB10. I find that I am just as if not more productive. Android has much more to offer for customization and this phone looks very nice. I would be open to revisiting the Hub if they can resolve the issues that it has currently. However, I feel that without a stronger hook into the notification system, the Hub will never be as useful as it was on BB10. I am unsure if something like that is even possible on Android and if it is something the BlackBerry would ever consider (or have the resources to do). Not to mention that this would get us much further away from the stock Android experience that we have now.

I know that this has been all over the place, but in conclusion I can say that I really enjoy this phone and love the freedom that Android offers. I hope that BlackBerry is able to continue producing phones as I appreciate the thought that has gone into the form and function of this device.
    Last edited by Timothy Friesen; 11-25-15 at 10:12 PM.
    Quorist and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-25-15 10:40 AM
    I don't have a Priv but am wanting one, I enjoyed your post. Interesting to see what other setups people have, like yours. Shows the benefits of Android with it's customization possibilities.
    11-25-15 11:02 AM
    If I'm reading this correctly, you like the Android OS, and the Priv hardware. You've eliminated most of the BlackBerry value-add software and replaced it with other Android applications.

One has to ask the question of whether or not the price differential between a, say, Nexus 6p and the Priv is worth the keyboard. I have a 6P and a Priv. I have found BlackBerry's hut to be a horrendous experience--very slow, it doesn't really do "push" as well as it did on BB10, and more often than not, it's a hair pulling experience.

I've only had the Priv a day, and have found it to be a very poor experience. (I had to set it up twice, as the first time was just a barrage of android.process.acore crashes--the phone app couldn't be launched, contacts would open--it was a nightmare. Having moved past that, and now having all of the BlackBerry updates to their stock applications, I am left wondering where the value is in this device--outside of the keyboard.

Joel
    11-25-15 04:44 PM
    If I'm reading this correctly, you like the Android OS, and the Priv hardware. You've eliminated most of the BlackBerry value-add software and replaced it with other Android applications.

One has to ask the question of whether or not the price differential between a, say, Nexus 6p and the Priv is worth the keyboard. I have a 6P and a Priv. I have found BlackBerry's hut to be a horrendous experience--very slow, it doesn't really do "push" as well as it did on BB10, and more often than not, it's a hair pulling experience.

I've only had the Priv a day, and have found it to be a very poor experience. (I had to set it up twice, as the first time was just a barrage of android.process.acore crashes--the phone app couldn't be launched, contacts would open--it was a nightmare. Having moved past that, and now having all of the BlackBerry updates to their stock applications, I am left wondering where the value is in this device--outside of the keyboard.

Joel
    I came from a Q10. I appreciated the swipe gestures, but didn't ever really think the Hub made me as productive as people on here claim. As I mentioned in my first post, the only way I can see the Hub working properly on Android is if BlackBerry can somehow take over the notification system in order to send notifications directly to the Hub.

The value for me in the PRIV is in the well designed hardware, the physical keyboard, and finally having access to all the Android apps.
    11-25-15 10:16 PM
    I don't think it's much of a problem if Blackberry wanted to take over the notification system, since it is an open source platform.
    However, I think they want it as close to stock as possible to ensure easy updates whenever a new build of Android is released
    11-25-15 10:31 PM
    Thanks for your experience and the link.
    I don't have the Priv, but I think that the experience will be different from my Passport or Z10.
    Customisation of Android device take time, but at the end you will be able to have the best personal device in your hand.
    11-26-15 03:39 AM
    As far as customization I am running Zooper (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...er.zwpro&hl=en) widgets with the Retrorika (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...al.icons&hl=en) icon pack (which I got on sale for 50% off).
    Were you able to use Retrorika through the BlackBerry launcher or did you have to start from scratch using another one? Or perhaps found one that copied over your settings? I'm new to Android and getting a crash course in customization. But I like what you've done.

Posted on my Android M Priv Silver Edition
    12-15-15 06:36 AM
    I guess it is great that you are supporting sales of the newest BlackBerry phone. But, if I felt the same as you, I would just do the same with a lower cost phone with comparable hardware specs. That would leave me with a bunch of cash left over for all the customization apps, widgets and icon packs my heart would desire.

PRIVateering since 2015.
    12-15-15 07:12 AM
    Were you able to use Retrorika through the BlackBerry launcher or did you have to start from scratch using another one? Or perhaps found one that copied over your settings? I'm new to Android and getting a crash course in customization. But I like what you've done.

I should have mentioned that I am running Nova Launcher. I 'm not sure how or if Retrotrika works with the stock BB launcher.
    12-15-15 09:15 AM
    No problem. It didn't work with the BlackBerry launcher, I ended up downloading Nova as well and rebuilding. It looks great, thanks for the idea.

Edit: it works without Nova or an external launcher. I just didn't know what I was doing yet.

Last edited by JP Yow; 12-15-15 at 10:45 AM.
    12-15-15 09:37 AM