So, let me start by saying I am very excited about this device. Actually, more excited than any device that's ever come before. My favorite BlackBerry of all time was the Torch (a 9800 at first and upgraded much later to the 9810 for the wifi Hotspot capabilities) and when they first whipped out the then unnamed slider, I was overwhelmed with excitement. That's been a rollercoaster ever since with the whole Android vs BB10 situation and I'd say now I'm sitting pretty optimistic that BlackBerry can pull it off.

However, I've been paying very close attention to how I use my BlackBerry [BlackBerries] these days and found out that there are quite a few things that I've come to depend quite a bit on and most of them have been confirmed that they are coming so far (the integrated Hub, Blend, keyboard, etc.)

The one thing that I can't do without, and make use of all the time, is the wonderfully integrated file manager. Not just on the device, but the fact that it can so seamlessly connect to my computer that it's as if I have my phone plugged in all the time. I very frequently need access to files that I have stored at home on my office laptop that I access remotely and it's as if they are stored on my device. This is a HUGE feature and it is so seamless that I can't imagine compromising on this. Does anyone know if Android can behave the same way, or if this is something that's being left to BlackBerry to figure out?

I'm a bit naive with the other OSs out there and I try not to bash them unless it's out of defense of BB10. If this feature is already part of Android, great! If it's not, then BlackBerry better bring it. And then market the heck out of this and all of the other things that differentiate them and put them at the top of the software game.

Priv: "You are the most attractive single lady in the room. I hope you have a brain to go with those curves. If you do, I just might divorce my Passport to be with you."
    10-20-15 05:20 PM
    You're in luck, Android has a great many file manager apps available.

Just make sure not to delete system32.
    BB-JAM215 likes this.
    10-20-15 05:22 PM
    You're in luck, Android has a great many file manager apps available.

Just make sure not to delete system32.
    That's good to hear...

Do you have a specific one to suggest? I should start testing on our Android tablet. I'm really hoping that it's possible to have something as seamless as BlackBerry's native one.
    10-20-15 10:42 PM
    I personally use FX File Explorer because I love it's layout and UI.

With that said, ES File Explorer is probably the most popular and widely used.
    10-20-15 11:27 PM
    And can you browse through the files on your computer remotely? You don't need to be on the same WiFi network...?
    And, do you need to set up 'shared folders' or are they all there automatically?
    10-21-15 01:15 AM
    The other thing I think of as I ask those questions, is 'how secure' is all of that through some third party app?

...I just really hopes BlackBerry builds that functionality into the Priv.
    10-21-15 01:17 AM
    The other thing I think of as I ask those questions, is 'how secure' is all of that through some third party app?

At the very least, whoever built that 3rd. Party app has access to all you files, both on your phone and on your office computer. Just like BlackBerry does now.
    So if you trust them and Google as much as you trust BlackBerry, you are OK!
    10-21-15 02:29 AM
    I believe this feature is actually work in conjunction with your BES, so I am hopeful to see this in Priv. Unless of course, BlackBerry managed to screw themselves up again.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 03:02 AM
    I believe this feature is actually work in conjunction with your BES, so I am hopeful to see this in Priv. Unless of course, BlackBerry managed to screw themselves up again.

Posted via CB10
    I don't actually have a BES subscription and it seems to work wonderfully.
    10-24-15 05:11 PM

how secure is it through blackberry? anyone can claim their app is safe, but wheres the proof
    10-24-15 05:25 PM
    I hope BlackBerry will have their own file manager... don't like using third party apps for such things.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-24-15 05:46 PM
    I like ms remote desktop. I use it even on my Passport.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 O2 UK
    10-24-15 05:49 PM
    I hope BlackBerry will have their own file manager... don't like using third party apps for such things.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Yes. There is nothing less secure than giving access to all your files to some app developer whom you do not know and trust.
    10-24-15 09:12 PM
    OP, you raise a great point. I also love using the BlackBerry 10 file system. I hope it transitions over to the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 09:51 PM
    I need File Manager, BBM Video and Blend !

RED  Q5 SQR100-2/10.3.2.2789 on Telus
    10-24-15 11:27 PM
    I need BB10 or if not available then BB10.
    10-24-15 11:33 PM
    The File Manager apps that I've seen on Android are crap compared to BlackBerry file manager.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport on CB10
    10-25-15 01:23 AM
    Anyone know if the BlackBerry file manager will be present on the Priv?

Posted via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2789
    10-29-15 11:16 AM
    Surely Bla1ze knows...
    10-30-15 10:27 AM
    I need File Manager, BBM Video and Blend
    None of these on the Priv.

I have the device. File Manager is absent. BlackBerry Help app says "download one from Play".
    10-30-15 10:41 AM
    So the thread about the reddit AMA it was said that the file manager will be there.
    So I'm confused by the above post saying it won't.
    10-30-15 10:49 AM
    So the thread about the reddit AMA it was said that the file manager will be there.
    So I'm confused by the above post saying it won't.
    I saw the Reddit poster confirmed the File Manager. I am saying I have a unit from retail and it is not there.
    10-30-15 10:50 AM
    None of these on the Priv.

I have the device. File Manager is absent. BlackBerry Help app says "download one from Play".
    Is your device an earlier preproduction model?

An AMA user with the device said that the BlackBerry File Manager is not only there but it looks just like it does on his Passport.

:edit: Responded while I was typing, thanks.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    10-30-15 10:51 AM
    Is your device an earlier preproduction model?
    No, I have a retail model, fresh out the box. The BB help app even says "download one from Play".
    10-30-15 10:56 AM
    The stock file manager is buried in settings, but most people just download EFS file explorer, etc.
    One thing I need the Priv to have...-1.jpg
    One thing I need the Priv to have...-2.jpg
    One thing I need the Priv to have...-3.jpg
    cbzeduser and Sleepy_ER_Dr like this.
    10-30-15 11:02 AM
56 123