Back to topic, N does not seem to be very likely for legacy Blackdroids:

/blackberry-android-os-f456/alex-thurber-nougat-aurora-camera-app-etc-1109048/#post12884717

Why should they need to discuss with Google and Qualcomm, as Google has exact same HW specs devices out as Nexus devices on N.
    Sweet talk..lip service lol
    05-21-17 11:58 PM

https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=12884717

Why should they need to discuss with Google and Qualcomm, as Google has exact same Qualcomm HW specs devices out as Nexus devices on N.
    Heavens posted about the video, too. I, also wondered why they have anything to do with updates/versions. The phone is either capable or not. I wonder if this is just a red herring to foist any blame for No Nougat on others rather than BB not wanting to do it (and compete with the KeyOne.
    05-22-17 11:02 AM
    Is it possible the hardened version of Linux that BB uses for their Android requires special drivers? That would certainly slow things down.
    05-22-17 11:06 AM
    Weren't there already pre-beta tests with Blackdroid-N on "legacy" hardware? Well no one could mention it cause of NDA I guess.
    05-22-17 01:24 PM
    What incentives does BlackBerry have to update PRIV or DTEK? It doesn't make them any money? I'd be shocked to get on any of my devices.
    05-22-17 01:33 PM
    What incentives does BlackBerry have to update PRIV or DTEK? It doesn't make them any money? I'd be shocked to get on any of my devices.
    Same incentives as Apple and Google: Customer retention. Especially when there isn't a new Priv for us to upgrade to. The KeyOne isn't an exact replacement for the Priv, with its subpar display and smaller display area.
    05-22-17 01:37 PM
    General brand goodwill is the only valid point I can think of.

One could argue that the Priv already got one major update, and that the DTEK50 was a bargain device. I would only be personally disappointed if the DTEK60 doesn't get a major update - although there are only a handful of us, so I wouldn't be shocked never to see it.
    05-22-17 01:39 PM
    If you want Android N on your Priv, you better let BlackBerry know now on Twitter, because it seems like they are at least flirting with the idea of not releasing it for the PRIV despite that it hasn't even been two years yet since the PRIV was released (Nov 6 2015).

It's important to remember how John Chen has on multiple occasions talked about how BlackBerry's Android N version is supposed to bring the security level to something akin to BB10's level. If you this is true, then PRIV owners will really be getting shafted if they don't get this release on their devices that are still very new.

""The goal is to make the Android security level the same as BB10. There's still a gap right now, but this gap will hopefully be gone within the next six to eight months," he said.

Chen added that the gap will be closed through a combination of BlackBerry's super-secret project and the impending release of the next version of Google's software, Android 7.0 Nougat. Or, according to Chen, "Android L".*"

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...ms-of-security
    FF22 and Uzi like this.
    05-22-17 02:13 PM
    Weren't there already pre-beta tests with Blackdroid-N on "legacy" hardware? Well no one could mention it cause of NDA I guess.
    You are about right. All indications are that the SW is more or less ready. It is a pure business decision.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    05-22-17 02:40 PM
    General brand goodwill is the only valid point I can think of.

One could argue that the Priv already got one major update, and that the DTEK50 was a bargain device. I would only be personally disappointed if the DTEK60 doesn't get a major update - although there are only a handful of us, so I wouldn't be shocked never to see it.
    For me, the 5.1 to 6.0 in the priv was just a "mandatory" update, because the Priv should have released with 6.0 in the first place, 6.0 was released 3 or 4 months ago before the priv came out, no reason for a flagship phone that costs top dolar to come with outdated OS. not to mention how clunky 6.0's build on the priv is.

if the priv was released with 6.0 (as it should), there wouldn't be any major update yet
    05-22-17 05:30 PM
    We have 10 PRIVS at work under MM and running anything but clunky with great monthly security updates plus also constant app updates. we are pleased. If N comes then fine but running fine. We like the PRIV and look forward too bring the KEYONE also.
    PHughes likes this.
    05-22-17 05:34 PM
    if the priv was released with 6.0 (as it should), there wouldn't be any major update yet
    BlackBerry Marshmallow was nowhere near ready for launch in Nov 2015. That would have been a mistake to rush their customised OS before it was tried and true.

That's neither here or there, as people bought it KNOWING it had a modified version of Android 5. They got one more after that.
    05-22-17 05:34 PM
    BlackBerry Marshmallow was nowhere near ready for launch in Nov 2015. That would have been a mistake to rush their customised OS before it was tried and true.
    So true and correct.
    05-22-17 05:35 PM

https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=12884717

Why should they need to discuss with Google and Qualcomm, as Google has exact same Qualcomm HW specs devices out as Nexus devices on N.
    They don't need to. Thurber is full of it.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-22-17 05:41 PM
    Maybe the incentive to show that they are willing to support devices with their brand. You know if they expect their licence partners to keep selling devices rather then have people think they will just be abandoned after a year.
    05-22-17 05:43 PM

That's neither here or there, as people bought it KNOWING it had a modified version of Android 5. They got one more after that.
    Well, 6.0 isn't ready TODAY! It has plenty of optimization issues still. So when are the excuses going to end?

Android gives OEM's much earlier access to the OS. Os if Blackberry really wanted, I'm pretty sure they could pull it off. HTC (a struggling company) pushed out of the box with the mid-high range HTC A9 pretty early. How much time it would take to blackberry to implement the improvements?

Anyway, how much safer is BB Android 6.0 compared to "normal" 7.0 that includes deep security improvements? Is the wait even worth it?
    05-22-17 05:47 PM
    So true and correct.
    Where are the sources of that? people say "is not ready" "it takes a lot of time to modify" bla bla... is there any actual FACTUAL source on those claims?

I'm sick of those lame "they are working on it, it takes time" excuses, I've been hearing that since 7.0 launched... Turns out, they aren't even working on it lol
    05-22-17 05:52 PM
    Well, 6.0 isn't ready TODAY! It has plenty of optimization issues still. So when are the excuses going to end?

Android gives OEM's much earlier access to the OS. Os if Blackberry really wanted, I'm pretty sure they could pull it off. HTC (a struggling company) pushed out of the box with the mid-high range HTC A9 pretty early. How much time it would take to blackberry to implement the improvements?

Anyway, how much safer is BB Android 6.0 compared to "normal" 7.0 that includes deep security improvements? Is the wait even worth it?
    You've gone totally scattered on me.

The fact is, BlackBerry felt their MM wasn't ready, and shipped with L. We all knew it, and bought it. One more update came. That's it.
    05-22-17 05:53 PM
    But wouldn't it save them money? They'd only have to program and push updates for one OS version instead of 2.
    05-22-17 07:19 PM
    But wouldn't it save them money? They'd only have to program and push updates for one OS version instead of 2.
    If they push no OS update, they save even more. No update expense whatsoever....

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 09:05 PM
    If they push no OS update, they save even more. No update expense whatsoever....

Posted via CB10
    Well that would be very disappointing if that is the route they were to choose. Have to think priv will be supported for at least another 18 months. Dtek's at least 24. If BlackBerry pulls that crap, I think they will lose at least 50% of the small support they have left. Catch 22 I suppose. I hope they make the right choice for those of us that have continued to support them the last few years.
    05-22-17 09:22 PM
    Well that would be very disappointing if that is the route they were to choose. Have to think priv will be supported for at least another 18 months. Dtek's at least 24. If BlackBerry pulls that crap, I think they will lose at least 50% of the small support they have left. Catch 22 I suppose. I hope they make the right choice for those of us that have continued to support them the last few years.
    50% of what to support? What products will you threaten not to buy??

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 09:26 PM
    50% of what to support? What products will you threaten not to buy??

Posted via CB10
    The devices coming out from licencees still have their branding and OS and benefit them if they sell.
    05-22-17 09:30 PM
    The devices coming out from licencees still have their branding and OS and benefit them if they sell.
    Cheaper to let the few upset customers leave then spend the money competing with the KEYone. Enough other diehards will buy the KEYone just to get 7.1.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 09:35 PM
    Cheaper to let the few upset customers leave then spend the money competing with the KEYone. Enough other diehards will buy the KEYone just to get 7.1.

Posted via CB10
    I don't believe in market getting N will in any way hinder KEYone sales. In fact, abandoning their current devices will likely hurt the KEYone more as people lose confidence in them ever following through or supporting devices.
    bibbula likes this.
    05-22-17 09:37 PM
933 ... 1314151617 ...