Yes I skimmed through after reading this as well and didn't notice anything.
    I watched the whole thing and although they didn't sound confident Noone said anything about Priv not getting it.

Flicked via the BlackBerry keyboard on my PRIV.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-12-17 11:37 PM
    I watched the whole thing and although they didn't sound confident Noone said anything about Priv not getting it.

So it came up and they didn't sound confident? What do you mean by that?
    03-12-17 11:38 PM

What time of the podcast did they sound not confident?
    03-12-17 11:41 PM
    So it came up and they didn't sound confident? What do you mean by that?
    They just mentioned something about people waiting for it to come to the Priv and there was kind of a silence there and the look on Kevin's face didn't look all that positive.

xandros9 likes this.
    03-12-17 11:41 PM
    It was in the 2nd half. That's around when they started talking about the improvements on the KEYone over the Priv.
    03-12-17 11:42 PM
    They just mentioned something about people waiting for it to come to the Priv and there was kind of a silence there and the look on Kevin's face didn't look all that positive.

Ah okay. At this point, given the absolute avoidance of the question from BlackBerry, I'm starting to think the lack of confidence is warranted.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-12-17 11:43 PM
    Ah okay. At this point, given the absolute avoidance of the question from BlackBerry, I'm starting to think the lack of confidence is warranted.
    There really is no reason that we shouldn't get it though. I just got this thing to replace my Nexus 5X and it's running the Snapdragon 808 with 2 gb or RAM. The BlackBerry PRIV runs the same processor with 3gb of RAM. So there is no justified reason that the Priv can't "handle" 7.1 or more.

1dat2 likes this.
    03-12-17 11:47 PM
    1:09:55 and on, I think.

03-12-17 11:47 PM

Sigh...
    03-12-17 11:51 PM

I guess. They were on the topic of things that didn't happen lol.
    03-12-17 11:54 PM
    There really is no reason that we shouldn't get it though. I just got this thing to replace my Nexus 5X and it's running the Snapdragon 808 with 2 gb or RAM. The BlackBerry PRIV runs the same processor with 3gb of RAM. So there is no justified reason that the Priv can't "handle" 7.1 or more.

The only bit of "official" information was John from Beta saying the "keyboard is a challenge". Which doesn't really add up since KEYone pretty much has the same keyboard but with an FPR. Ever since that it was all avoidance.
    1dat2 likes this.
    03-12-17 11:56 PM

You are right there should be no reason but sometimes they find a reason. Or not and simply just ignore their customers.
    Uzi and xandros9 like this.
    03-13-17 12:04 AM
    I'll get right to the point, if BB makes the mistake of not updating the Priv to N or waits a really long time (meaning that we see a release towards the end of 2017) they will most definitely be out of the phone market for good in 3 years top (my personal opinion)
    No I'll elaborate a bit my thinking, nowadays everyone talks about regular users, regular users don't care what the hw of the phone is, or the resolution, or the OS updates or the security, so on an so fort, well, for me, regular users are the ppl that are not in the technology field, like older ppl or any other person that has grown up with a 3310 and never went to a full touchscreen phone, never got walked through what an OS is, basically never got updated phone technology wise. Yes, you may see older ppl with full touchscreen phones running iOS or Android but they user the phone to make calls, send text and take pictures(I believe that the % of users like the ones I just mentioned is really limited globally), with that in mind, the rest of the users are far from regular and are interested in regular updates from the manufacturer, good hw, good optimization, overall good specs at a decent price.
    You can rest assured that if BB doesn't update Priv (the flagship comeback phone) with N, the word will get around and ppl will think twice about getting a phone from a company that offers just monthly security updates, they will pass the DTEK and future phones because the reliability of BB delivering an OS upgrade will be questionable.

One thing I fail to understand is why this entire forum likes to read between the lines, make all sort of assumptions and debate all sort of conspiracy theories. If they update the Priv to N, great, if not I will move on and most likely get a stock android from google or an iPhone, maybe I will consider buying the K1, but then again after seeing how they handle the Priv update I will think twice before buying it.

I watched the podcast after 1:10:00 and to be honest I don't feel and see anything you guys said, yes, Kevin's reaction to his own question about the Priv getting N is a bit off but for me it seems like he is off because he knows the track of BB updates and promises + he may not be involved in any way with the Priv N update, yes he was the ambassador for the K1, but that doesn't mean he has all his fingers in all of BB's cookie jars, he may be clueless info wise about the Priv update road-map or he may know everything that is comming, only he knows the truth to this assumption.

In today's market, there are a lot of phone competitors, from small to big, from good to bad, BB will be just another brand if they don't put their back into it + they can't survive on the phone market with a few hundred thousand die hard BB fans that buy their phones no matter what, at some point everyone will move on (we already know this happened ).
    Uzi, FF22, marco44 and 1 others like this.
    03-13-17 03:34 AM
    Yes I skimmed through after reading this as well and didn't notice anything.
    It was towards the ending CBK was talking about how BlackBerry has disappointed fans before with PlayBook and storm etc. Then he made a comment that Nougat will most likely not make it to the PRIV!
    03-13-17 08:04 AM
    I'll get right to the point, if BB makes the mistake of not updating the Priv to N or waits a really long time (meaning that we see a release towards the end of 2017) they will most definitely be out of the phone market for good in 3 years top (my personal opinion)
    No I'll elaborate a bit my thinking, nowadays everyone talks about regular users, regular users don't care what the hw of the phone is, or the resolution, or the OS updates or the security, so on an so fort, well, for me, regular users are the ppl that are not in the technology field, like older ppl or any other person that has grown up with a 3310 and never went to a full touchscreen phone, never got walked through what an OS is, basically never got updated phone technology wise. Yes, you may see older ppl with full touchscreen phones running iOS or Android but they user the phone to make calls, send text and take pictures(I believe that the % of users like the ones I just mentioned is really limited globally), with that in mind, the rest of the users are far from regular and are interested in regular updates from the manufacturer, good hw, good optimization, overall good specs at a decent price.
    You can rest assured that if BB doesn't update Priv (the flagship comeback phone) with N, the word will get around and ppl will think twice about getting a phone from a company that offers just monthly security updates, they will pass the DTEK and future phones because the reliability of BB delivering an OS upgrade will be questionable.

One thing I fail to understand is why this entire forum likes to read between the lines, make all sort of assumptions and debate all sort of conspiracy theories. If they update the Priv to N, great, if not I will move on and most likely get a stock android from google or an iPhone, maybe I will consider buying the K1, but then again after seeing how they handle the Priv update I will think twice before buying it.

I watched the podcast after 1:10:00 and to be honest I don't feel and see anything you guys said, yes, Kevin's reaction to his own question about the Priv getting N is a bit off but for me it seems like he is off because he knows the track of BB updates and promises + he may not be involved in any way with the Priv N update, yes he was the ambassador for the K1, but that doesn't mean he has all his fingers in all of BB's cookie jars, he may be clueless info wise about the Priv update road-map or he may know everything that is comming, only he knows the truth to this assumption.

In today's market, there are a lot of phone competitors, from small to big, from good to bad, BB will be just another brand if they don't put their back into it + they can't survive on the phone market with a few hundred thousand die hard BB fans that buy their phones no matter what, at some point everyone will move on (we already know this happened ).
    I feel that at this point he was just being cautious with his outlook. There was nothing stated about the Priv not getting 7.x but as BlackBerry users have gotten hopes up before with other devices, I think he was just making sure not to feed into that.

Realistically, it should happen. We probably should just keep the speculation light and not dwell just yet.

FF22 and 1dat2 like this.
    03-13-17 09:29 AM
    Given the fact that the Priv has been for sale for almost 18 months and has sold a reasonable amount of units to BlackBerry Enterprise clients, why would BlackBerry make the decision to NOT upgrade the PRIV to Android N?? It almost seems like that strategy would enrage BlackBerry Enterprise CIO's at the expense of a small licensing fee from TCL and their BlackBerry Mobile division.

I am no tech expert but I suspect keeping and growing their existing MDM and EMM strategy going is vital to BlackBerry's future.

I know there is a lot of rumors and speculation about wither or not the Priv will get the upgrade or not but I don't see a compelling reason for BlackBerry to NOT upgrade it for whatever reason. I even suspect that for TCL's perspective it doesn't make sense to **** off the existing BlackBerry Android clients at the expense of damaging the "brand" for the loyal users who do remain. The overall goal with the TCL strategy is to continue to grow and rebuild the brand and have it be profitable for both BlackBerry and TCL while allowing them both to grow their enterprise footprint.

I have a feeling that in about a months time we will know more information and it will be all positive news for the Priv users out there. I have a Passport SE and don't see myself migrating to the BlackBerry Android space for the foreseeable future so this entire thing doesn't really affect me personally but for the dozen or so people I know who have the Priv, they are looking for a solid upgrade soon.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and 1dat2 like this.
    03-13-17 03:16 PM
    Given that crackberry Kevin has created the current concerns can blaze or crackberry Kevin address if it was intentional or not with PRIV and nougatm. If they have any actual info or if they are just speculating. For many people when their device is no longer able to handle the latest os they do switch to a new phone so this is not like the hysteria of 10.3.3 release timing or a new bb10 phone.
    03-13-17 05:51 PM
    Just a guess, but I'd say PRIV will get Nougat around the same time BB10 users get 10.3.4. Ha ha. No joke.

Unfortunately if this turns out to be the case you're even worse off as a DTEK owner. If BlackBerry really is intending to jettison all support beyond security updates for BB10 and previous BlackBerry Android devices...that will mean DTEKs are going to be stuck on Marshmallow too!
    03-13-17 08:29 PM
    I don't want to sound like a drama queen... but if N doesn't come to the PRIV, I probably won't buy another BlackBerry. I've been burned enough times by BlackBerry, I need to know when to quit.

However, I DO believe that it will arrive, probably in May.
    1dat2 likes this.
    03-13-17 09:04 PM
    Should be earlier than that if we wait till September the next android version will be made
    1dat2 likes this.
    03-13-17 09:46 PM
    First of all, my Priv works fine on Marshmallow, although I really do want to upgrade it to Nougat. Having said that, and given that the hardware can handle Nougat, there may well be reasons other than hardware tech reasons that will stop the upgrade. I have had androids before, from other manufacturers, notably Motorola, with an Atrix, and Samsugn, with a Galaxy 1, that did not get upgrades... It was very frustrating! The only company that guarantees upgrades for two years is Google. It's not like we can root and put on an AOSP, either. Having said this, I am optimistic that we will get 7 on the Priv.
    03-14-17 02:07 AM
    Android 7.0 will be pushed to all privs, won't it?

Posted via CB10
    If BB releases it for the Priv, (which I think they will, eventually) the factory unlocked devices will get it. If you have a carrier device, you will be at the mercy of that carrier, regardless of carrier lock status.
    03-14-17 05:52 AM
    I'm fine with MM. Having individual permissions on MM is one of the reasons I waited before picking up the Priv. I wouldn't look at it while it was still on Lollipop.
    The most important to me is the monthly security updates.
    You really believe that these companies really respect permissions.
    03-17-17 09:28 AM
    I think they have to, otherwise unless it's rooted they can't access the said function.

That's why some apps annoyingly doesn't start, either crash outright as it wasn't coded to request permission properly, or just lock you at the splash screen and nag you until you do.
    bibbula and Wezard like this.
    03-17-17 09:49 AM
    I use the Dtek app to check which apps have accessed what. So far so good.
    1dat2 likes this.
    03-17-17 10:14 AM
933 ... 34567 ...