So we've all seen this picture showing the dual curve display on Bla1ze's article

No Turbo/Quick Charging on Priv?-dual-edge-no-exif.jpg

If you look at the remaining time to fully charge, it's nearly two hours while the battery is already at 36%. I guess this pretty much tells us the Prive won't have turbo charging.

I'm a little disappointed as it would be a very nice feature especially considering the Priv won't have a removable battery. The battery better be big!
    teoamador likes this.
    10-03-15 05:43 PM
    So we've all seen this picture showing the dual curve display on Bla1ze's article

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dual-edge-no-exif.jpg 
Views:	1889 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	374310

If you look at the remaining time to fully charge, it's nearly two hours while the battery is already at 36%. I guess this pretty much tells us the Prive won't have turbo charging.

I'm a little disappointed as it would be a very nice feature especially considering the Priv won't have a removable battery. The battery better be big!
    That doesn't mean amything, you only "turbo" charge it if you have a "turbo" charger... Tha picture could have been taken with the phone charging in a computer or a regular charger.

The passport has a big 3450mAh battery and charges quite quick with a 2A charger. I think it can handle even more powerfull chargers, so I guess the priv won't be any slower, so it should not disapoint
    10-03-15 05:49 PM
    Don't all post 810 chips have quick charge built in?
    Omar Alsahli likes this.
    10-03-15 05:50 PM
    3400mah should get you through the day.

Presumably you sleep for more than a couple of hours at night, so you'll have plenty of time to charge.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Omar Alsahli and anon4226395 like this.
    10-03-15 05:52 PM
    Thanks for the input guys. I guess there's still a chance it will!
    10-03-15 06:06 PM
    Thanks for the input guys. I guess there's still a chance it will!
    The passport takes less than 2h to fully charge from 0%. This one has 36% and is talking about 1h48min, so surely it isn't connected to a good source
    10-03-15 06:13 PM
    Don't all post 810 chips have quick charge built in?
    uh? you mean snapdragon 810? if you do, processors have nothing to do with how fast the phone charges. You don't have to "process" the electricity before getting into the battery.
    10-03-15 06:17 PM
    uh? you mean snapdragon 810? if you do, processors have nothing to do with how fast the phone charges. You don't have to "process" the electricity before getting into the battery.
    The processor needs to support it. With Qualcomm, the technology is called QuickCharge 2.0, and the 808 processor does support it.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...processors/808

10-03-15 06:23 PM
    The processor needs to support it. With Qualcomm, the technology is called QuickCharge 2.0, and the 808 processor does support it.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...processors/808

Was just going to post this.
    10-03-15 06:24 PM
    Good, quick charge just kills the battery... and that charge taking so long for that % just means it's a nice a big battery!

Now wireless charging is a must imo

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 06:30 PM
    QC2.0 supports anything later including 801

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 09:04 PM
    What is the charger slot look like?
    If it is micro USB{?}, we can use our BlackBerry Playbook chargers with 2 Amperes per hour. Then, it would take 1,5 hours to get the 3,5 A (or 3450 mA) charged!
    teoamador likes this.
    10-04-15 12:07 AM
    If it is micro USB{?}, we can use our BlackBerry Playbook chargers with 2 Amperes per hour. Then, it would take 1,5 hours to get the 3,5 A (or 3450 mA) charged!
    Yes the leaks show it has a micro usb port
    10-04-15 04:06 AM
    Yes it's micro USB. But Playbook charger is a brick to take around, there are plenty of cheap 2A chargers that are the size of a regular smartphone charger.

Samsung has been shipping their phones with compact 2A chargers for some time. Maybe BB supply one with the priv too

No Turbo/Quick Charging on Priv?-7909757878344604310ad7we4yl13908230901433071408_1434617917.jpg
    10-04-15 06:24 AM
    I could care less about a feature like quick charging over pure capacity and wireless charging.

The phone needs to get through an entire day like my Z30 can and this time around wireless charging, better not be exclusive to a single carrier.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    10-04-15 06:51 AM
    I could care less about a feature like quick charging over pure capacity and wireless charging.

The phone needs to get through an entire day like my Z30 can and this time around wireless charging, better not be exclusive to a single carrier.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    I would most definitely take quick charging over wireless charging. It sucks that this phone doesn't have a replaceable battery, the least it can have is quick charging that way you can recharge that battery after a long day at work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Omar Alsahli likes this.
    10-04-15 11:28 AM
    I would most definitely take quick charging over wireless charging. It sucks that this phone doesn't have a replaceable battery, the least it can have is quick charging that way you can recharge that battery after a long day at work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Non replaceable battery and quick charge is...a combo seeking you to be sad in 9-12 mo when your battery is shot.

Batteries still at the moment are not really made for the quick charge- batteries have focused on capacity and longevity... just like tesla and nissan have done a lot of work on capacity and size.. next is the quick charge.

As we all know you can quick charge anything by plugging it into a tablet charger etc...

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 12:49 PM

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    Except that quick charging is actually usefull while wireless charging is just a comodity to have at home. Quick charging can be usefull when you're going to leave home in 10-20min but forgot to charge the phone. Wireless charging is just a way of charging the phone in a confortable way, doesn't solve any problem.

Mind you that wireless charging is much slower than charging with a cable.
    Omar Alsahli likes this.
    10-04-15 02:20 PM
    Non replaceable battery and quick charge is...a combo seeking you to be sad in 9-12 mo when your battery is shot.

Batteries still at the moment are not really made for the quick charge- batteries have focused on capacity and longevity... just like tesla and nissan have done a lot of work on capacity and size.. next is the quick charge.

As we all know you can quick charge anything by plugging it into a tablet charger etc...

Posted via CB10
    Please show me proof that quick charge will destroy your battery, I have a note 4 and still holds the same charge after a year with charging it or topping it off every night
    10-04-15 03:32 PM
    Lithium batteries have a fairly-fixed number of cycles of life. A "full-to-empty-to-full" run (to just above the low-voltage cutoff) is one CYCLE.

If you discharge 50% and then recharge, you have used one-half cycle. Most lithium batteries will have lost 20% of their capacity after 500 cycles. At that point you will definitely notice the reduced capacity and probably be unhappy.

As a result of this (and it's a fact of the chemistry of these battery designs and cannot be changed) endurance is a really big deal. If you can reduce the use of the battery to 50% over a day as opposed to having to charge mid-day you have quadrupled the battery's life from a standpoint of days-in-service before the user is unhappy. In addition lithium batteries lose capacity over time after manufacture even if unused; 10% loss of capacity after two years if held in an 80% charged state (roughly ideal conditions) is about right. These capacity losses are additive, so after two years with all-day+ endurance is likely to get you somewhere near that 20% threshold where the user complains. If you have to charge mid-day you'll be doing well to get one year before the same threshold is reached.

Quick-charge is perfectly fine provided the temperature of the pack is monitored. Charging is less than 100% efficient (some of the energy is lost) and that loss is dissipated as heat. Heat is the enemy as the hotter something is the faster chemical reactions occur, all other things being equal. It is that degradation that kills packs over time.

Further, internal cell resistance (which is part of the reason the cell is less than 100% efficient and thus dissipates energy as heat) rises with charge state. When the cell is nearly empty it can accept charge at a much higher rate than when it is close to full. Proper charge management is a balancing act between all of these factors. So while you can quick-charge to, say, 80% of capacity without much risk doing so to 100% is unwise and will severely damage cell life expectancy.

Finally, there is the matter of the MicroUSB's ability to source or sink current without damage. 2A is approximately 10 watts gross (~7-8 net at the battery) which is quite high for those little pins. Pushing that 5A (25W as is the case for some of these quick-charge examples I've seen) is, I suspect, rather risky in terms of connector longevity. Remember that the first thing that breaks hoses you; it's not just the battery in that if integrity of the charging port is lost you're screwed as well.
    10-05-15 09:28 AM
    ... internal cell resistance (which is part of the reason the cell is less than 100% efficient and thus dissipates energy as heat) rises with charge state. When the cell is nearly empty it can accept charge at a much higher rate than when it is close to full...
    Thanks for summing that up so nicely! I always struggle to explain to people why the last portion of charging takes longer.
    10-05-15 04:47 PM
    Why would anyone want wireless charging?
    That's something i dont get.
    a notification comes in, you reach out to grab it to see what's up and opps! phone stop charging??!
    10-06-15 04:34 AM
    Why would anyone want wireless charging?
    That's something i dont get.
    a notification comes in, you reach out to grab it to see what's up and opps! phone stop charging??!
    Perhaps because it gets rid of the step of plugging the charger into your phone?
    You find the charger, put the phone on it, The phone starts charging.
    No need to see which side is up or checking if the charger is securely in.

BlackBerry Priv� a mobile PRIVilege for your PRIVacy
    10-06-15 05:06 AM
    The problem with wireless charging is the efficiency loss and, as a result, the materially-lower rate of charge that it offers over a wired connection.
    10-06-15 08:28 AM
    yeah I also bought this phone expecting to get a fast charger after i paid almost $800 the galaxy s6 edge cost less than this phone and it comes with the fast charger
    01-01-16 08:00 PM
27 12