They want to make money & skirt the instant payment at register cash cow by ignoring fingerprint authentication... sheesh !! The scanners must be off the shelf by now...

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 03:53 PM
    No! Biometrics are overrated. They must be combined with other secure measures to be effective .

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    10-08-15 04:02 PM
    Don't waste your time pointing that out. I'm sure some folks get equally fired up about the optional hoodies on jackets.
    If you are running for your life, you have your hoodie flapping behind you and all someone has to do is grab it and they can yank you down. That's why I would never use one. I don't need it.

Fingerprint ID is becoming standard on all high-end smartphones so if BlackBerry is still making them in a year then they will definitely include it now the Android officially supports it. I'll be amazed if we revisit this thread at that point and find people are still shunning it.
    10-08-15 05:11 PM
    It makes me wonder how many of you security freaks belong to a social network or use Windows 10 on your laptop (which is a security nightmare if you don't know how to turn all those options off!

Next time you're on a computer.... do a 'Google" of your own name and then tell me about security!

and make sure you wash your finger first.
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 10-09-15 at 10:30 AM.
    10-09-15 09:57 AM
    If you are running for your life, you have your hoodie flapping behind you and all someone has to do is grab it and they can yank you down. That's why I would never use one. I don't need it. .

OK! NOW, you've caught my interest! Sounds like you had a real bad "hoodie" experience.
    How about starting a thread about it so all the other flappers can talk about it? ( or talkers can flap about it!)

All this talk about security on your mobile device!!
    If you're that worried about leaving it somewhere or having it stolen... YOU'RE the one who needs security. HIRE A BODY GUARD !
    Carjackd likes this.
    10-09-15 10:06 AM
    OK! NOW, you've caught my interest! Sounds like you had a real bad "hoodie" experience.
    How about starting a thread about it so all the other flappers can talk about it? ( or talkers can flap about it!)

All this talk about security on your mobile device!!
    If you're that worried about leaving it somewhere or having it stolen... YOU'RE the one who needs security. HIRE A BODY GUARD !
    Cheaper yet, get a gun and a concealed carry license

Posted via CB10
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    10-09-15 11:20 AM
    Cheaper yet, get a gun and a concealed carry license

Posted via CB10
    I've got a "Stun Gun " app (of sorts) on my PassPort.

Someone tries to get to me I just stun them with something like this:

No Fingerprint Scanner - Anyone Else Bothered?-140-38-.jpg

That'll stop anyone in their tracks just long enough to kick 'em and run.
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    10-09-15 12:06 PM
    I see new Windows Phone 950 fronts retina scan authentication using front camera I assume. Is this off the shelf software that could show up in app store for the Priv or even the Passport ??

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 02:59 PM
    I think it sucks not being included. Picture ID is cool until you're trying to use it in a compromising position. There are times when lining up that number in an exact spot can be difficult.

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-09-15 03:15 PM
    I was thinking about it being used (retina scan) to authenticate for. NFC payments, a cash cow for BlackBerry if they survive...
    10-09-15 03:56 PM
    It makes me wonder how many of you security freaks belong to a social network or use Windows 10 on your laptop (which is a security nightmare if you don't know how to turn all those options off!

Next time you're on a computer.... do a 'Google" of your own name and then tell me about security!

and make sure you wash your finger first.
    Wash your hands first? I suggest wearing a condom!
    10-09-15 08:57 PM
    Don't waste your time pointing that out. I'm sure some folks get equally fired up about the optional hoodies on jackets.
    Oh don't get me started on hoodies on jackets.. What if my hoodie gets caught when exiting or entering my vehicle? Then what? I'm gonna have to go buy another hoodie jacket! Unacceptable!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    10-09-15 11:48 PM
    Fingerprint scanners are great and everything, but what happens if your fingerprints change while you're asleep and then in the morning you can't use your phone? I swear manufacturers are so freaking dumb! How could they miss that obvious pitfall? No sir! It's passwords only for me!!!!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    10-10-15 12:00 AM
    Fingerprint scanners are great and everything, but what happens if your fingerprints change while you're asleep and then in the morning you can't use your phone? I swear manufacturers are so freaking dumb! How could they miss that obvious pitfall? No sir! It's passwords only for me!!!!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    You building up some serious calluses

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 06:35 AM
    Nah.... not bothered about the scanner

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 06:43 AM
    So I'm pretty excited about the Priv but the one thing giving me MAJOR pause in signing up to buy one is the lack of a fingerprint scanner. On my iPhone 6 Plus, I can't tell you how amazingly convenient it is to not have to type your password in a million times to different Apps or websites and to just integrate your password program with fingerprint authorization into everything. Same was true for my Samsung Galaxy S6 before that. I use my Passport less and less because of that.

Going back to manually typing passwords into Apps/Websites or authorizing my password program using my ridiculously long and complicated password seems so backwards to me, especially considering nearly all other major brands out there now have integrated fingerprint scanners.

Plus, I am LOVING Apple Pay which integrates the fingerprint sensor in for an instant transaction authorization (and now Android Pay and Samsung Pay do the same thing).

Is Blackberry leaving off important 2015 technology on the Priv that will cause consumers, like me, to second guess going out and taking a chance to buy one?
    I get the convenience, but your fingerprint, once that is hacked, it's not like a password you can change. That's shacky ground for me. Good luck

No Shade Just Light!!! Z30 10.3.2.2639
    10-10-15 10:21 AM
    Not at all bothered. Happy with Picture PW.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 01:15 PM
    Well, to some extent, it�s pretty hard to miss what you�ve never had, and only people who�ve had experience with newer iPhones and a few top Android flagships have direct experience with the feature. That said, the feature is great on the iPhone 6+ and 6S+ (the two phones I�ve had with it), which is why I think you see more and more OEMs adopting it in their flagship smartphones.

BlackBerry has never really listened to the market as far as I can tell, so if the market wants VKBs, it�ll produce PKBs. And if the market wants fingerprint scanners, it�ll produce PKBs. And if the market wants flagship all-touch devices, it�ll produce PKBs. I think there may be a patten...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-10-15 02:59 PM
    I want to learn more about this feature. What makes it so special?
    I won't start a new thread.
    10-11-15 02:40 AM
    I want to learn more about this feature. What makes it so special?
    I won't start a new thread.
    Don't know that I'd describe it as overly special. Frankly, I doubt that I'd use it as-is.

To me, it's a safe, convenient option. Options are almost always good, especially if a subset of customers expect it, and competitors have it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-11-15 01:17 PM
    The question was, are we "bothered" by the lack of a fingerprint scanner, not do we think it would be a smart business decision to include one. Two different issues entirely. No, I'm not bothered. Yes, I agree it might cost BlackBerry some sales to consumers who like the convenience and care less about either securing their phones or sharing their fingerprints with hackers.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 01:29 PM
    Oh don't get me started on hoodies on jackets.. What if my hoodie gets caught when exiting or entering my vehicle? Then what? I'm gonna have to go buy another hoodie jacket! Unacceptable!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Considering you already got yourself started on the hoodie thing.... sounds like you have a lot more to say about it. So, don't tease us!
    I wanna hear more about it.
    Make an issue out of it.
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 10-12-15 at 12:27 AM.
    kbz1960 and Carjackd like this.
    10-11-15 01:52 PM
    I think anyone that is bothered about it isn't going to complain - there are plenty of smartphones out there that have this feature. I can tell you that once a person is using a phone with this feature, they probably won't buy one that doesn't have it - a sentiment that has been expressed here.
    10-12-15 03:14 PM
    Definitely NOT a fan of biometrics... So NO, I'm not at all bothered by it... Epic invasion of privacy... No thank you...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Paranoid much.
    10-13-15 12:13 AM
    Yes I want that feature, would be nice to have
    10-13-15 12:35 AM
380 ... 7891011 ...