So NFC worked on Friday, just installed the March update this morning (TELUS), and now NFC is not working.

True, that a weekend has elapsed since last I know it to be working, and that is why I'm asking if anyone else has encountered the same issue.

.earl
    03-20-17 02:59 PM
    No issues here... NFC has been working for me since I received the update last week.
    Tried soft/hard resets?
    03-20-17 03:09 PM
    I have not encountered this problem
    03-20-17 03:19 PM
    No issues here. Just used it.
    03-20-17 06:31 PM
    I guess I wouldn't even know if NFC was working as I don't really have anything to check it against!

Are you folks using TAGS or just have nfc enabled other devices?
    03-20-17 07:39 PM
    I guess I wouldn't even know if NFC was working as I don't really have anything to check it against!

Are you folks using TAGS or just have nfc enabled other devices?
    Contactless payment
    03-20-17 08:35 PM
    Contactless payment
    One day, the third world USA will get that stuff established, too. Like having a Credit Card reader brought to the table when paying a bill.
    yyz321 likes this.
    03-20-17 08:37 PM
    One day, the third world USA will get that stuff established, too. Like having a Credit Card reader brought to the table when paying a bill.
    Do you at least have places where you can order your food on a tablet? Or press a button to call the waiter/waitress?
    03-20-17 08:48 PM
    Do you at least have places where you can order your food on a tablet? Or press a button to call the waiter/waitress?
    Those are more quirky than regular!

Seriously, the only reason I can come up with is this place is rather large with thousands upon thousands of shops and restaurants making the expense too costly. So it happens slowly. We are still getting the chip accepted at checkout - even Costco "coming soon!"
    03-20-17 10:00 PM
    So NFC worked on Friday, just installed the March update this morning (TELUS), and now NFC is not working.

True, that a weekend has elapsed since last I know it to be working, and that is why I'm asking if anyone else has encountered the same issue.

.earl
    I just got the March update through T-Mo on my PRIV. NFC and Wireless charging is working fine. I would suggest you check your settings to turn NFC "OFF". Then holding the [Power - Vol Up - Vol Down] buttons consecutively for a 20 seconds and then it will go into a soft reset. Don't let go of the buttons till the BlackBerry screen flashes, keep holding till it disappears and appears again. Now just let it boot up and then turn NFC back on. If that doesn't work, try the same reset procedure but with NFC " ON". After all this, if NFC is still not working, time to call BlackBerry.
    03-20-17 10:10 PM
    Thanks everyone. Yeah, lots of resets to no avail. We'll see what BB says.

.earl
    03-20-17 11:30 PM
    Well no need to get BB involved. I was taking the phone out of it's case and noticed that the screen looked to be separating from the body where the volume buttons are. Applied some pressure and it's back together and NFC is working again. Looking at a teardown vid, it looks like that's where the NFC antennae makes contact with the motherboard.

Not sure why the screen was separating, possibly from a drop? Will keep an eye on it.

.earl
    FF22 and yyz321 like this.
    03-21-17 10:11 AM
    Those are more quirky than regular!

Seriously, the only reason I can come up with is this place is rather large with thousands upon thousands of shops and restaurants making the expense too costly. So it happens slowly. We are still getting the chip accepted at checkout - even Costco "coming soon!"
    No reason not to at least make chips the standard/norm. Isn't that why there's such high levels of credit card fraud? The magnetic swipe is much easier to duplicate than the chip.
    Last edited by yyz321; 03-22-17 at 02:47 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-21-17 08:52 PM
    No reason not to at least make chips the standard/norm. Isn't that why there's such high levels of credit card fraud? The magnetic swipe is much easier to duplicate than the chip.
    Not sure what the difference is between us, (US) and the rest of the 1st world is. The biggest reason chips are slow being implemented is the retailers are resisting, they have to bear the full cost of equipment and service. And, until last year were not responsible for fraud, the banks covered them.
    Even when fully implemented, it won't be as secure as the rest of the world, we are using chip + maybe, an unverified digital signature. Most of the world is using chip + PIN.

And the retailers are often going for the cheapest chip system they can find, making it painfully slow. Some chip systems take 8 to 10 times longer than swipe.
    yyz321 likes this.
    03-23-17 06:53 AM