I know that this is hypothetical, but I am surprised that there has not been much discussion about this yet.

My context: Two years ago like many others here, I got my new Q10. Within 6 months, the dreaded double typing plague struck. There was much discussion as to whether the issue was hardware or software related. One thing was evident: BlackBerry turned a deaf ear.

With the promise of the Passport and the Classic, (Keyboard devices) I expressed concern here on CB that the same problem would surface. I was almost "burned at the stake" by BlackBerry guru Dylan Habkirk, who opined that Blackberry had corrected the issue. Fast forward to mid 2015, both the Passport and the Classic owners are smitten by the bug.

Given the past performance and Blackberry's silence, I have no confidence that this issue is fixed. So, is there concern that the PKB on the new Slider will suffer the same fate?

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 12:41 PM
    I know that this is hypothetical, but I am surprised that there has not been much discussion about this yet.

My context: Two years ago like many others here, I got my new Q10. Within 6 months, the dreaded double typing plague struck. There was much discussion as to whether the issue was hardware or software related. One thing was evident: BlackBerry turned a deaf ear.

With the promise of the Passport and the Classic, (Keyboard devices) I expressed concern here on CB that the same problem would surface. I was almost "burned at the stake" by BlackBerry guru Dylan Habkirk, who opined that Blackberry had corrected the issue. Fast forward to mid 2015, both the Passport and the Classic owners are smitten by the bug.

Given the past performance and Blackberry's silence, I have no confidence that this issue is fixed. So, is there concern that the PKB on the new Slider will suffer the same fate?

Posted via CB10
    Those that are concerned should worry, those that aren't concerned aren't going to worry.
    06-30-15 01:02 PM
    I heard this issue was fixed in a software update recently

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 01:15 PM
    Those that are concerned should worry, those that aren't concerned aren't going to worry.
    What?
    Is that the same as saying those that are going to buy a BlackBerry with pkb should worry and those that are not going to buy a BlackBerry with a pkb should not worry?

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 01:21 PM
    What?
    Is that the same as saying those that are going to buy a BlackBerry with pkb should worry and those that are not going to buy a BlackBerry with a pkb should not worry?

Posted via CB10
    We don't know who is building the Slider and we don't know what OS it will be running, so why worry about it. Let them release it, wait two months for the price to drop and then see how the reviews are going. If it is working ok buy it, if not move on.
    06-30-15 01:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    Oh really? Do you care to share the source of your information. After the Q10, all we heard was that the issue was fixed for future PKB devices. The problem was, we never heard that directly from Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 02:41 PM
    We don't know who is building the Slider and we don't know what OS it will be running, so why worry about it. Let them release it, wait two months for the price to drop and then see how the reviews are going. If it is working ok buy it, if not move on.
    Did it make a difference who built the Passport or the Classic? The issue is that the problem resurfaced, when so called people in the know were sounding your just like you.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 02:45 PM
    Did it make a difference who built the Passport or the Classic? The issue is that the problem resurfaced, when so called people in the know were sounding your just like you.

Posted via CB10
    Well it will depend on the PKB design, which we don't know yet. If it's similar to the Classic/Q10 then I'll worry. I'm hoping it will be closer to the Q5 keyboard, which doesn't have the issue.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 02:57 PM
    Well it will depend on the PKB design, which we don't know yet. If it's similar to the Classic/Q10 then I'll worry. I'm hoping it will be closer to the Q5 keyboard, which doesn't have the issue.

Posted via CB10
    That is the reason for my starting the discussion.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 05:48 PM
    To be honest I'm not worried at all, I had my Q10 for over 2 years not and double typing was never an issue. The double typing problem didn't disappear but from what I see it was definitely reduced. Slider may have the problem but it will probably be rare.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 06:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sometimes people will try to force their opinion on you, and play it off as a fact, when in reality they know as little about the question you just asked as you, but they want to seem interesting or respected. A LOT of people on CB have 'insider knowledge', 'know for a fact that ... ( finish sentence whatever way you like ) and act like they know it all.

Tbh, my personal opinion is that the double typing issue is a mixture of hard- and software. I can explain why i'd think that, but it's long and boring. I hope that they fix it, but since this is a problem that has been around for a couple of years now, and it even continues to appear on newer devices, i wouldn't hold my breath. I don't think BB has a solution for this, and it's just plain stupid that they ignore this situation instead of fixing it.
    06-30-15 08:34 PM
    Its def hardware. Inho! Had 3 Q10's with it, I will assume if a slider makes it to the market, it will double type in time if the same type of hardware is used. If it was software, they could have fixed it, thats why they sent me two brand new Q10s

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    06-30-15 08:40 PM
    Android Slider will fix the double typing! LoL

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 09:17 PM
    If they use the same pkb as on the Q, Classic, and Passport ie their premium pkb's, then be sure that the slider will face the same problem.

But if they use their budget pkb from the Q5, then there likely won't be DT issues.

What I'd like to know, is if the Porshe design phones suffered from DT - that'd be a ***** to know that a $2000 phone was so poorly made loll.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    06-30-15 10:52 PM
    I plan on just reading the user reviews here on CrackBerry to see how the community experience is with the new device. I too am concerned about the potential for double typing. I wouldn't be an early adopter of any new BlackBerry keyboard phone now until it had a track record.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 06:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    Coming from someone who has replaced four keyboards on a Q10, I can tell you for sure that it's a hardware issue. Every time I replaced my keyboard, the double typing stopped for a few months.

I find it strange that BlackBerry never had this problem to the same extent on their older devices. It makes me think that they're cutting corners on build quality nowadays.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    07-07-15 09:31 AM