hi everyone! sorry if i missed this in my frantic search. i just received my tmobile priv in the mail. i have been using an HTC ONE. in anticipation of the switch i got helium last week and think i backed up the HTC. when i open helium now on the device it asks me to install helium on my PC. i did that last week but still did it again. when i connect the phone and computer nothing happens other than opening photos (i am on a powerbook). on my priv the helium app simply says it is waiting for me to install carbon on my PC.

ALSO i tried using blackberry content transfer. it says "if you have a google account the quickest way to back and transfer your data is to use google drive". i click NEXT which brings up a pop up asking for my google address. i give it then it takes me to a screen telling me to visit blackberry.com/transfer on my previous device. of course my previous device is no longer active...

please help! sorry i am such a technological *****.
    Last edited by walterkurtz; 02-03-16 at 08:14 AM. Reason: dying
    02-02-16 10:01 PM
    Helium looks to be a terrible choice considering the reviews - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup Lots of caveats - https://github.com/koush/support-wiki/wiki/Helium-Wiki As for the BlackBerry Content Transfer, I'm not sure what you mean by your device is not active. It doesn't need to be 'active' you just need to be able to turn it on and have a data connection such as WiFi. Also, why not just use the built-in Android backup tools? It might not be as robust of an offering but your Priv should be asking you to restore all the things from any previous devices you had.
    02-02-16 10:07 PM
    Helium looks to be a terrible choice considering the reviews - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup

As for the BlackBerry Content Transfer, I'm not sure what you mean by your device is not active. It doesn't need to be 'active' you just need to be able to turn it on and have a data connection such as WiFi.
    from what i read helium was the better choice for unrooted androids...

i can turn my old phone on. but without an active SIM (the priv is now my active SIM card with tmo) i am unable to connect to wifi or anything else for that matter.
    02-02-16 10:10 PM
    PS can you srsly not disable the shutter sound on the camera? srsly?!??
    02-03-16 08:15 AM
    Did you factory reset your old phone or something? You don't need a SIM to connect to WiFi. When setting up the Priv it will ask you if you want to restore from a previous device, then you simply tap them together to connect over NFC and start the transfer.
    02-03-16 08:20 AM
    Did you factory reset your old phone or something? You don't need a SIM to connect to WiFi. When setting up the Priv it will ask you if you want to restore from a previous device, then you simply tap them together to connect over NFC and start the transfer.
    no my HTC is the same as i left it. it shows me connected to my home wifi when i open that setting but when i go to chrome, it says unable to connect.

i also tried using NFC on both devices. it makes a cool sound but then both devices take me to a screen that says RETRY.

failing miserably...

if you have any other suggestions i would surely appreciate them.

WAIT!!! i think i am connected to the internet now! fingers crossed....

holy crap i think it may be working. thank you!
    Last edited by walterkurtz; 02-03-16 at 08:48 AM.
    02-03-16 08:37 AM
    Damn I don't know then. I haven't had a problem transferring any devices since Lollipop came out. Do you have an M7 still on KitKat or something? It's hard to help with those kinds of problems over the Internet.

What exactly do you need transferred over? Maybe we can look at alternatives for you to use.
    02-03-16 08:41 AM
    Damn I don't know then. I haven't had a problem transferring any devices since Lollipop came out. Do you have an M7 still on KitKat or something? It's hard to help with those kinds of problems over the Internet.

What exactly do you need transferred over? Maybe we can look at alternatives for you to use.
    i am hoping for my PRIV to have the same UI as my HTC via nova launcher but i don't know if that's how things work. currently the HTC is transferring too many pics i think to google drive. after this transfer is complete i can use content transfer on the PRIV and hopefully get everything i need. i am sure there will be more questions. thank you for your help so far. i don't know why it wasn't connecting to my wifi before. thanks to you i tried again and succeeded!
    02-03-16 09:21 AM
    i am hoping for my PRIV to have the same UI as my HTC via nova launcher but i don't know if that's how things work. currently the HTC is transferring too many pics i think to google drive. after this transfer is complete i can use content transfer on the PRIV and hopefully get everything i need. i am sure there will be more questions. thank you for your help so far. i don't know why it wasn't connecting to my wifi before. thanks to you i tried again and succeeded!
    Okay good and no problem. You can use Google Photos to backup all your photos. In the future you can use so it will automatically back up all of the photos you take when you're on WiFi with unlimited cloud storage space. Then when you're running low on space on your phone, there's an option in Photos settings to delete pictures already uploaded from your device.

Nova Launcher has a backup option built in, it's in the settings. I don't know of the specific options it has, but even it only backs up to your device, you can then use a file manager to transfer the backup file to Google Drive or an SD card.
    02-03-16 09:38 AM