So I'm coming from a Passport, which I love. But the Priv would give me access to a few apps I'd like to have that I can't get from BB appworld. I used the content transfer application and it seems to have worked ok. I did not ask it to transfer SMS messages or calls. Just Calendar, contacts, music playlists, notes and tasks. It seems to have done this. I also added a gmail account for the playstore. The darn calendar put the gmail account as the account associated with the calendar. The hub has the correct email address set up, can send and receive messages, but I can't add it as the email associated with the calendar. I've tried. For hours now.
    All updates have been run on the phone, the calendar has been updated, as has the hub and services. I still can't swipe from the left and open hub anymore like I could on the passport even though it looks like theres a pale circle there that should open. So now it doesn't want to let me add appointments to the calendar, because there is no account associated with it. When I tried to add the hub account, it tells me it's a duplicate.
    This is the most critical problem.

The other that is a big problem, is I can't play music. I put VLC on it, it can't play the playlists. I put a file manager on it (seriously? It doesn't come with one?) It can't play them from their, NOR can I open my foreign language lessons. Any suggestions for a music player than CAN open the playlists on the SD card from my Passport?

Disappointing I can't customize the notifications like I could on the Passport. For certain people I had different notifications for their text messages as I did need to stop what I was doing to see what they needed, others could wait a bit.

I had forgotten how much I hated that android wants access to every thing on my phone. It doesn't need it. There is no reason a game app needs to access my contacts. I didn't install it. But everything has ads. I'm used to BB app world. You install something and done.

I'm really trying to like this phone, really I am. But some of this has to be sorted. I'm not sure Amazon will let me send it back. It's not malfunctioning I don't THINK, I don't KNOW. It may just be being an android.

Any help would be most appreciated. Truly. I need sleep.
    04-21-17 03:12 AM
    A lot of questions there, I'll address a couple. BB basically didn't put any non BB apps on the device. Everything preloaded is either BB, or stock Google. The fewer preloaded aps the better as they can't be removed, just disabled. Had BB picked a file manager for us, there would be complaints for days that it wasn't as good as XYZ and can't delete it. The stock Google Messenger app is a good example, most people disable it, load a decent SMS app and wish they could delete it. Textra, and Yaata both support custom notifications for different contacts.

The play store will let you see what permissions an app wants, before downloading it, if it looks like spyware, it prob is, don't download.

Android is not great, it's clunky and disjointed, but it gets the job done. And it keeps getting better, slowly. You might as well learn it now, your choices are Android, iOS, (a few windows devices) or stick with BB10 until it's complete toast in a year, maybe 2.
    casscowgirl likes this.
    04-21-17 07:51 AM
    So I'm coming from a Passport, which I love. But the Priv would give me access to a few apps I'd like to have that I can't get from BB appworld. I used the content transfer application and it seems to have worked ok. I did not ask it to transfer SMS messages or calls. Just Calendar, contacts, music playlists, notes and tasks. It seems to have done this. I also added a gmail account for the playstore. The darn calendar put the gmail account as the account associated with the calendar. The hub has the correct email address set up, can send and receive messages, but I can't add it as the email associated with the calendar. I've tried. For hours now.
    All updates have been run on the phone, the calendar has been updated, as has the hub and services. I still can't swipe from the left and open hub anymore like I could on the passport even though it looks like theres a pale circle there that should open. So now it doesn't want to let me add appointments to the calendar, because there is no account associated with it. When I tried to add the hub account, it tells me it's a duplicate.
    This is the most critical problem.

The other that is a big problem, is I can't play music. I put VLC on it, it can't play the playlists. I put a file manager on it (seriously? It doesn't come with one?) It can't play them from their, NOR can I open my foreign language lessons. Any suggestions for a music player than CAN open the playlists on the SD card from my Passport?

Disappointing I can't customize the notifications like I could on the Passport. For certain people I had different notifications for their text messages as I did need to stop what I was doing to see what they needed, others could wait a bit.

I had forgotten how much I hated that android wants access to every thing on my phone. It doesn't need it. There is no reason a game app needs to access my contacts. I didn't install it. But everything has ads. I'm used to BB app world. You install something and done.

I'm really trying to like this phone, really I am. But some of this has to be sorted. I'm not sure Amazon will let me send it back. It's not malfunctioning I don't THINK, I don't KNOW. It may just be being an android.

Any help would be most appreciated. Truly. I need sleep.
    You can swipe UP from the Middle Icon (small circle) on the Main screen and to the Right and open the Hub, to the left is Device Search. But they can be changed.

My Google Calendar syncs. I set it up when editing accounts to sync contacts and calendar.

I did not use the separate gmail app but only the hub.

Check out Blackplayer, Poweamp and Pi for music players.

There is a very rudimentary File Manager that came with the MM update (before that there was NONE). But check out Asus File Manager or Solid File Manager. Ghost Commander which we had on the BB10 devices is also available.

With MM you can edit some of the too-demanding Permissions. Or Open the new Dtek app and check it out.

Android takes getting use to or just plain ACCEPTING it!
    casscowgirl likes this.
    04-21-17 07:39 PM
    Re the gmail / calendar issue, I suggest deleting the gmail app you downloaded. You don't need it if you've added the account to the hub.

You then may be able to get the calendar to work as you want it to.

Let us know how you go .😀
    FF22 and casscowgirl like this.
    04-21-17 09:04 PM
    Another thought, does vlc find the music? Where have you saved it, and where is vlc looking?

Dumbo question, but the sound is on is it:
    FF22 and casscowgirl like this.
    04-21-17 09:06 PM
    And the pic:
    Attached Thumbnails New Priv, Calendar won't accept email account in Hub, no music player for playlists, etc.-15284.jpg  
    casscowgirl likes this.
    04-21-17 09:11 PM
    Progress IS being made! Thank you all! I have Pi music player installed and it immediately found the playlists and plays very nicely! The sound is good on the Priv. I don't KNOW that it's any better than the Passport, not saying that, but it really is nice! VLC DID find the playlists, it just would show errors that it couldn't open or play them, but the error thing went away too fast. But Pi works great.

I have Yaata installed, but haven't switched SIM cards yets, so no conversations or success to report there yet.

I have TWO file managers installed. The Tomi file manager can play the language lessons in mp3, but it can NOT copy a song to put in the notifications folder. The ASUS file manager can copy and paste into another folder. All this nonsense is necessary right now because on the Passport if I wanted to use a song for a wake up alarm I just tapped browse music. Priv doesn't do that, I have to copy the song and put it into the notifications folder, then it will show up. The file manager on the Passport did all that, but I'm getting some work arounds. THANK you for pointing me in the right direction!

The Hub thing is sorted now, I was baffled because I watched several videos before I bought the Priv, and it showed the Hub working like it does on the Passport. But I've changed the pull up from the bottom thing now and easily get Hub that way. I thought I was doing something wrong.

Calendar remains the problem. I didn't download a gmail app. Personally, I don't like google. But Wezard, I thought the same as you. My choices are learn to deal with the BB version of Android, go with a "regular" android or an iPhone. I don't want iPhone, or regular android. So. I did set up DTEK, early on, and was really pleased that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I'm proud to report I'm pegged out at the top of the green. I didn't put my gmail account on my phone at ALL. But when I logged into the Playstore I had to give it a gmail account. I gave it that one, and then the #$%$!!@$ thing showed up in my calendar! As my only choice for an email to send invitations from. I've disabled it, but still can't add the email address I want to use. I deleted the calendar, and added it back in, didn't help. Nor can I choose to delete it by clicking on settings in the Calendar. It came with a gmail app. Which I disabled. I added a app called Offline Calendar, doesn't sync with anything cloudyish (rain or shine ) And....it will not send appointments out of it from my WANTED email address. I do like it though. It puts a dot on a date you have appointments so you can quickly see which days are open. I've tried tapping an appointment and trying to send it via email selecting sending through Hub. It won't go. Says invalid email address. If I send email through the Hub itself, it goes through just fine. Is there a suggestion for a different calendar app? Offline will not work by itself it seems. I'm getting a sinking feeling I'm going to end up emailing myself all my appointments one by one from the computer. But if I could get a calendar app that would let me make appointments and send them via my WANTED email address, it would be worth it. I've messed with this more than I can imagine on a BlackBerry.

Again, thank you all so much for the wonderful help. I do appreciate it. I just do not want a google related calendar on my Priv. I know a lot of folks like them, but I don't and don't want to use a gmail account with it.

Thank you all SO much for the wonderful help. There are a lot of things to like about this Priv, but between trying to keep track on my work schedule, things I help with, doctors appointments for some older family members, etc etc. my calendar is kind of critical. Like everyone elses! Which is why I'm kind of shocked at BlackBerry.
    FF22 and Heavens1 like this.
    04-22-17 06:42 PM
    Wow, you've sorted a lot of your stuff out, good for you 😀

Re the calendar, I recall that a number of us installed Business Calendar in order to be able to create a 'local' calendar account, which isn't what you are seeking to do, I know. (After creating my local calendar I then deleted Bus cal, and just use the stock BlackBerry calendar) But, Business Calendar has a good name, I think, so you may want to establish whether it'll do what you want.

Here's s link to the free one:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ppgenix.bizcal
    04-23-17 07:21 AM
    Couple other suggestions, a lot of apps will "call home" while you aren't "looking", using battery and data. You can prevent a lot of that by restricting background cellular data use.
    Settings > Data usage > scroll through the apps, anything that doesn't need to log onto the cell network and do 'whatever' while closed and not being used, tap on it, and turn restrict app background data ON. It won't effect anything when you open and use the app, but will keep it from sneaking around behind your back.
    To speed things up, turn on Developer options. Scroll down to the 3 animation scale settings, (Window, Transition and Animator) set them to .5 or zero.
    To turn on developer options, Settings > About phone > scroll to build number at the bottom and tap it 5 times, (or 7, can't remember) until it says developer options are on. Then go back to main settings and you will find it listed now. Don't mess with anything there you aren't sure about! And DTEK will complain a bit, but you'll still be secure, (as long as you leave the other stuff alone) and in the green.
    04-23-17 02:55 PM