Forgive me, I know this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm not finding it today. Got my head down and my nose open. I have a Verizon Priv. Tried to buy a 99 cent app but the Google Store said I don't know my PSWD. After horsing around for a time, I entered a new one that IT liked: ITS response was to ask me to enter another new PSWD ???

Got lots of GMAIL accounts, with the same single one for my Priv, my Verizon Android Ellipsis wireless tablet, Windows 7 and 10. Cannot seem to get Google to stop notifying me to get my Priv account straighten out.

Before investing any more time and grief, I have a couple of questions: (1) Can I use my Priv WITHOUT a GMAIL account? (2) Can I use my Priv WITHOUT using Google Chrome? (3) Is it possible to talk to a Google representative about all this crap and help me out ?
    10-26-16 12:57 PM
    Forgive me, I know this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm not finding it today. Got my head down and my nose open. I have a Verizon Priv. Tried to buy a 99 cent app but the Google Store said I don't know my PSWD. After horsing around for a time, I entered a new one that IT liked: ITS response was to ask me to enter another new PSWD ???

Got lots of GMAIL accounts, with the same single one for my Priv, my Verizon Android Ellipsis wireless tablet, Windows 7 and 10. Cannot seem to get Google to stop notifying me to get my Priv account straighten out.

Before investing any more time and grief, I have a couple of questions: (1) Can I use my Priv WITHOUT a GMAIL account? (2) Can I use my Priv WITHOUT using Google Chrome? (3) Is it possible to talk to a Google representative about all this crap and help me out ?
    1 - No.
    2 - Yes
    3 - Lolz, no.

I'm, so. You need a Gmail. Make sure that it IS the correct email and password for the account you want to use. Its a good idea to use the same one for all android devices, since your data will synch across all of them.

That being said, you don't need the gmail app, nor do you need to actually use gmail, you just need a google account.

You can stop using chrome browser, can't delete it, but can disable it. Look under settings and apps, disable it, and go download another browser, there are a lot to choose from.

Google only has customer service if you're a business and are paying them for Google apps. And even then, it's somewhat shoddy.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-26-16 01:13 PM

I thought someone recently posted that it could be setup without a Gmail account or credentials but I don't recall details. I also don't know if you can get any Apps if you don't have Gmail/google credentials.

I generally don't use Chrome but Firefox. I am pretty sure you cannot completely DELETE it but you can ignore it, I believe.
    10-26-16 01:18 PM
    I thought someone recently posted that it could be setup without a Gmail account or credentials but I don't recall details. I also don't know if you can get any Apps if you don't have Gmail/google credentials.

I generally don't use Chrome but Firefox. I am pretty sure you cannot completely DELETE it but you can ignore it, I believe.
    In most Android phones, you can hit the "skip" button when setting up your device. Now, by doing this, you will not have access to the play store. You would be limited to the apps that come pre-loaded on your phone, or side-loading apk's, which can be dicey and pretty much throws security out the window if you're not careful. Another option would be by downloading all apps through Amazon's Underground app.

All that being said, it is possible, but your easiest solution is to figure out the password to your main Google account, and use it. Android is just a basic shell without Google Services.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-26-16 01:47 PM
    Wipe your device and set it back up w/ the Google acct you'd like to use. Otherwise, as the above poster said, Android is just a shell w/out a Google acct. Yes, you can call Google is you have a Google for Work acct.
    10-26-16 02:58 PM
    So...Been using both my Priv and my Ellipsis for months without problems. But then this AM I tried to buy an app for 99 cents using my Priv from the Play Store. The Play Store decided that I didn't really know my PSWD that my Priv and Ellipsis had for these same months... Sounds bizarre, but Sieg Heil, meine Google, as you wish.
    10-26-16 03:01 PM
    You do need a Google account, but not a gmail account...it is important to make that distinction. You can create a google login with other email accounts other than gmail. I have done it with my MSN account in the past. But when I got my priv, I opted to go ahead and set up a gmail account that I don't use for anything other than just having a separate google login from my main email account.
    FF22, andy957 and bluesqueen23 like this.
    10-26-16 05:01 PM