Thanks for the review, took note of the apps you use for when I get a Priv

Posted via CB10
    11-25-15 10:54 PM
    Re-visiting this thread.
    I picked up the hard case in military green, as well as the new charging dock pieces.
    Attachment 382114Attachment 382115Attachment 382113

I snagged a Smartwatch. A Sony Smartwatch 3 for a killer of a deal on Ebay. $99 (refurb) + free shipping

I found a couple flaws, One being just about a deal breaker personally.

Audio based
    A couple times now, I have had been listening to spotify and had it playing. I then got into my car and Neutron automatically boots up and starts playing.
    So I have spotify already running along with Neutron at the same time.
    One didn't cancel out the other.
    In addition, with the smartwatch, I have loaded up music to that as well. So in the same situation, I now have 3 individual audio apps playing at one time through 1 source.
    Kinda weird.

I have had some hub glitches/bugs. I'd open the app (mind you in comparison as mention above the "lag time") I would then minimize it, it would full size by itself and then minimize again by itself.

Audio through Bluetooth headphones seems fine, nice and clear and decently loud.

*The Just About Deal Breaker*
    I recently picked up a new pair of headphones(Audio-Technica ATH-M50x) and started playing music on the phone through the headphone jack.
    I found the volume very noticeably lower than the BB10 counter part at max volume even when using Neutron on the Priv.
    Also, with trying to increase the volume by way of adjusting the gain/pre amp, the bass clipped out and sounded horrid.
    Bass setting was never adjusted. Just left at Flat zero.
    Thinking I had a faulty pair of headphones, I filed a return on amazon from which I purchased them.
    I boxed them back up to ship out from my work.(will revisit this in a bit)
    I then think of a situation on the car ride home. I will try my brothers Sennheiser's. Low and behold, the same result.
    Me knowing that his cans(headphones) are in perfect working order, now I start thinking its the Neutron app.
    Next I try spotify. Similar results. No adjustable gains.

I tried the same headphones (Sennheiser) on My Passport, and sounded perfectly clean and clear. Again I did not use adjustable gains.Played on the stock music app and Spotify. Then I also added an external amp to it to get more volume from it. And had no issues.
    I also tried the external portable amplifier to swing some sort of balance out of the Priv for a bit.And it seemed to make it worse.
    It fully appears to myself at least, that the phone is built for earbuds and not any serious breed of headphone.
    I'm not an audiophile by any means, but everyone has their acceptable spectrum. And The Priv, didn't cut it for me on this.

But, I can accept this to a point, because, I don't walk around listening to music on my phone with over the ear headphones.

My only hope right now, is that the box I packed up to ship out from my work is still sitting there when I get back on Friday.
    Last I checked, it was still there, But I forgot to look right before I left.
    Mmmmmmm mm Foxconn.... Thanks Chen.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-15 11:51 PM
    I can't autoload 10.3.

My point is, Cortana beats Google Now and, from what I've seen, BB10 assistant for sure.

What point are YOU trying to get across?
    It was a review thread. So thats my point.
    Then you barged in about speed dials, and there only being 3, and then being disproved that there can be more on BB10 in multiple ways.
    Fine, BB's voice assistant come in last. Everyone pretty much knew that already. Being its what, maybe 2 years old vs the competitors company that can throw billions at it to make it what it is.

Why can't you auto load?
    11-26-15 07:15 AM
    No Windows machine.
    11-26-15 09:11 AM
    It was a review thread. So thats my point.
    It was a review by someone who knew one OS intimately well and the other not at all, and he talked about things he didn't know about--and framed his entire review based on "BB10 is perfect because I know everything about it, and Android sux because I know nothing about it". Those were pretty much his very first words.
    Gadget Fann likes this.
    11-26-15 09:14 AM
    And I'm admitting to being bias and that it would take time to adjust.
    But for an OS that's marketed as the best, it falls short to the one that's implied by multiple sources as one of the worst because of lack of apps.
    I even mentioned that in my review of where BB10 falls short. So it wasn't written like IOS and Android users write that their OS is flawless.
    I then corrected myself as I edited them in RED on a few things after more experience with the "best" OS after more time with it.

So if you are a master of Android, Why not correct me in a fair manner along the lines of something like this:

I understand your frustration as you said in your review, but myself (you) being experienced with Android, here are a few pointers to assist your transition of OS's.

Something like that would be helpful. But all you did was complain about Speed dials on BB10. I then corrected you in a manner like I just did above, answering your questions. I even went to ask you why you can't auto load 10.3 with the potential of assisting you.
    But that, just flew out the window.

And I'm pretty sure I've been more "fair" than that of a "Professional" reviewer in comparison of OS's.
    Because just about every reviewer called BB10 trash out of the gate because it didnt do things the way IOS or Android did.
    Which I kinda did a bit as well. Just not as harsh. And I gave it a more than fair chance on trying to find apps to do the mentioned things.
    Last edited by DarkJoker33; 01-24-16 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar
    11-26-15 09:56 PM
    Updated some info on the original post and the post with pictures of the hardcase about the audio.
    01-24-16 12:52 PM
    What an excellent writeup, DJ. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    01-24-16 01:40 PM
    So, to touch base on this, I went back to my Passport on February 2nd.
    And, I have't really looked back since.
    I had no hardware issue with the Priv, besides the occasional heating and the every once and a while screen click.
    Neither of which worried not bothered me as much as it does other people.

I went back purely because of software. While Android has development out the ying yang, that development stops for me when those things don't work.

Texting: SMS always worked, MMS not so much. Attaching a picture rarely worked, but this is a known issue by AT&T and Blackberry.
    I abandoned the factory loaded messenger app for Textra paid version and it seemed to improve, but I consistently got a file to large to be sent notification. Thats even after scaling it down to a smaller version.
    The only way that it seemed to work, was that if you took a picture within Textra and hit send. It seemed about flawless doing it that way.

WIFI and Bluetooth: I had consistent wifi drop outs and the occasional BT drop out on the Priv. Thinking I had a faulty phone,So I watched Android tablet (Sony Xperia Z2) and the same thing happened. Both running Lollipop. Fired up my passport with all 3 on the network (home) , Wifi drops on both Androids and not the Passport or my brothers Lumia 950.

Apps:

Android: While there are many, they are not refined and glitchy. Apps that are designed for Android rarely worked correctly or without error. And it's not just the small independent ones either. Many of times, My Philips hue system awoke me in the middle of the night due to the wifi drop out mentioned above. And due to my settings, when my phone connects/disconnects to wifi, my lights turn on/off.

BlackBerry: We all know that situation, so I won't re-hash that. But what is interesting, In my findings at least, While the Android app may open slower on it, it functions a lot better and is more responsive. Keep those active frames open people.

Igrann > instagram
    Face10 > native facebook
    CB10 BB > Crackberry android

For the automation part like my Philips hue setup, @Cobalt takes the win with others whom credit is due for making the play store work.
    There really isnt another course of action for this on BB10 short of Philips my hue website controls.
    I personally wasn't a fan of the BB10/BlackBerry offering for controlling them.

Again for the home automation point, I have a Wemo switch for a space heater.
    Problem is, I can't get the wemo app to fully work, Because within the app, I cannot select the connected wifi network within the app.
    But, I was pro-active? and found a long backdoor way to get it done. Being as there is no website interface.
    I used the IFTTT/DO button app from google play along side Push Plane (push bullet client) from BlackBerry world.

I made a DO button to turn the heater on and off. But then, I didnt know if it was on or off .
    I then used IFTTT to link my Wemo and and Pushbullet accounts and set the trigger to on and off or toggle to send a notification.
    While the DO button works pretty flawlessly, I do notice that the push Bullet notification can lag minorly to a lot occasionally.

Notifications :
    This one is almost break even with a slight edge to google/android.
    The Hub is one of the best Notifications systems I have ever used.
    Best on BB10
    Feels like a skinned Gmail on Android in my opinion.

With that being said, I do miss the Google app,location based reminders and the ability to always see the temperature outside on the notification shade of Android. It's the little things. If I knew how to create an app and code, I would make a weather app thats similar with an idea I had.
    I haven't really found any comparable findings on BB10 without heavily diving into setting up and rss feed of sorts. (I've never done that)
    Honestly, the Google app and location based reminders and auto checking my traffic route from home to work and back are the main things I miss about Android. Everything after that to me doesn't matter.

Battery life:
    Priv: with location wifi and bluetooth on all day, playing music over BT to my car while driving and checking traffic on google maps occasionally, and the regular emails, texts, social media I'd be generally lucky to get to around 6-7 pm with 10-15% or less. Screen on time, was 2-3 hours.
    Passport: same actions as above,different traffic maps/traffic app of course , around 6-7 pm a minimum of 40% life left. Screen on time unknown.

The first week back on the Passport was similar to that of the Priv. After that, it adapted to its normal self. If I didnt have location on 24/7 and loaded extra Android apps, It would go further as it normally did.

In the end, I'm still on my Passport today. I am one of those people hat still has Hope for BB10 even with all the "writing on the wall".
    Last edited by DarkJoker33; 02-21-16 at 11:56 AM.
    seletok and Bay 13 like this.
    02-21-16 11:41 AM
    Back off of the Passport.
    Moved onto another Android Platform.

LG V10 is my new daily device and so far I don't see myself moving back to the BlackBerry platform.
    Battery life for the first few days of ownership has been better than the Priv and almost on par with my Passport thats loaded up with some Android apps.

It's a beast of a device and the second screen is amazing as well as the camera.
    02-28-16 02:41 PM
    I am saving this thread. It will be helpful when my Priv arrives. Thank you OP! I love my Classic but looking forward to trying the Priv out.

Posted via Classic
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    02-28-16 04:49 PM
    Thanks, OP!
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    03-16-16 02:16 PM
    Great write up. One other comparison I would suggest is that with native BB10 apps the individual settings for each app is accessed from within each individual app. On Android, as with iOS, each individual setting is only accessible from within the overarching Settings.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    03-16-16 02:25 PM
    I can't autoload 10.3.

My point is, Cortana beats Google Now and, from what I've seen, BB10 assistant for sure.

What point are YOU trying to get across?
    I agree. I replaced Google Now with Cortana.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    03-16-16 02:58 PM
    Ummm, I have more than three speed dials set on my Z30, six if I remember correctly, maybe seven actually. Have my PRIV on me now but will double check later.
    03-16-16 03:33 PM
    Ummm, I have more than three speed dials set on my Z30, six if I remember correctly, maybe seven actually. Have my PRIV on me now but will double check later.
    Actually 8. Plus voice mail.

Posted from my Verizon Z10 10.3.2.858
    03-16-16 10:46 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to review and post the information. It will be useful as I am considering the PRIV.
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    03-17-16 01:24 PM
    Amazing...

All the talk, all the back & forth, then the going back to Passport with NO LOOKING BACK...for 1 week...now no BlackBerry & the probably won't return.

People DEFINITELY have too much time on their hands.

Murray Squire Marr
    04-04-16 10:00 AM
    This is how a comparison thread suppose to be. Good job OP.
    DarkJoker33 and Menage like this.
    04-04-16 10:37 AM
    Amazing...

All the talk, all the back & forth, then the going back to Passport with NO LOOKING BACK...for 1 week...now no BlackBerry & the probably won't return.

People DEFINITELY have too much time on their hands.

Murray Squire Marr
    I bought the V10 on a whim. Pure and simple. And loaded BlackBerry's VKB onto it immediately.
    The Priv had to many faults out of the box that were not worked out, and that should have been before full launch.
    The V10 ended up converting me due to the fact that I started using smart devices when I bought the Priv.
    Like the Philips hue lighting and a wemo switch. As well as having next to no issues with anything. All the issues with the Priv I listed, the V10 experienced none of them. Wifi would drop in and out on the Priv, and would turn my hue lighting on Full blast at 2 am since I had it setup to turn on and off when wifi connects and disconnects. V10 had none of these issues either.
    I could not get the wemo app to work at all on the Passport, and the Philips app worked, but it was flawed. So I ended up having to use 2 apps The hue official app and hue tasker to get functionality to be somewhat manageable.
    To get wemo to work, I believe I wrote it somewhere, but I'll say it again.

I had to log into my wemo account via ifttt then install the ifttt app and then the DO button app and then setup a Do button for to turn the wemo on and off. But, I had no way of knowing if it was on or off. I then had to link pushbullet to IFTTT to send me a notification telling me this.
    Oh yea that involved installing and buying the pushbullet/blackbullet/another one that I can't remember to notify me. Never mind it being a delayed notification. We're talking about hours here, not minutes.
    So then, I had to set up a calendar notification by linking that to IFTTT as well.
    Nevermind timers for both of those.

So switching seems like the logical and financial decision that one would make to use the items of investment properly and without error.

Stepping out of the fanboy box, BlackBerry kinda botched the Priv in multiple areas. Do I regret it, No. But I learned from it.
    Once they launch MarshMallow on it and hopefully fix some of the bugs like the texting one or lag of the Hub, I'll give it a whirl as a daily again.

Oh, and I put the V10 back in the box as well. But for no bad reasons what so ever.
    Simply because, before the Priv was announced, I was already looking into another Android phone due to some Kickstarter projects I participated in. I would like to use those items as designed and fully functional.

I am now daily rocking a Sony Xperia Z3 with zero BlackBerry software sideloaded to it.
    Although it being a 2 year old device and less ram and a slower/less processors than the V10 and Priv, I also have ZERO issues with it.
    And the battery life is better than the Priv and the V10.
    Nevermind adding the nice waterproof feature.
    04-06-16 07:13 PM
45 12