Hi everyone, in my previous post, I really thought this phone was a Lemon, just shameful. Then again if it was launch time, I would've returned it. Most of the heat issues resulted from tons of updates but now that its day 3, battery life is amazing, Bluetooth audio works as it should in the car (no more double mic/echo), and I came to the realization that (at least for me) you can't have everything (yet) in the Blackberry Hub. So here are some tips for all who are getting or thinking of going to the Priv:

0. This is probably the only negative thing I still don't like about BB10 and Priv. If most, if not all, of your contacts are based off of being linked to Facebook or LinkedIn accounts, they will NOT transfer via the content transfer app. It is because the information is not saved locally on the phone. When you do get Facebook and LinkedIn on your Priv, newer versions of Facebook can no longer sync information into the Address book. For LinkedIn you can sync them to your address book via settings (yay).

1. Practice the Android Mantra- There's an App for That. For me the BBHub couldn't sync properly my Outlook/EAS emails so I had to get the Android Outlook app. Chaos averted. The dream of having everything centralized like BB10 is dormant at the moment but notifications and calendars do sync from Outlook into the calendar (so that's nice). You will have to get used to compartmentalizing your workflow using various apps but it's easier than you think. With pkb shortcuts, you can get just about anything done with a keystroke.

2. Don't be timid about the Google Play Store or Amazon Apps. Thankfully Amazon Apps was all I needed for my Z10 but I had to sideload apps time to time. Now you don't have to do that. It's a brand new world (but you may miss niche apps from BlackberryWorld but at least now you don't need to pay for Instagram and etc) that has been unleashed. You can choose to use Google's version of Office (Docs, Sheets, etc) or get Microsoft Office Mobile and etc. Then there's the plethora of games, books, audio/video, etc. The Kindle App is beautiful.

3. When you think you're getting too many apps, you can organize your apps to be just like in BB10, put things into folders, and even have the home screen blank. Instead of having 6 apps open at a time, the organizer (which is pretty cool if you use the Masonry setting and not the Rolodeck/Carousel) looks like the running app screen of BB10. A word of caution is that Google chrome now runs all tabs as different instances, so you can't look at tabs as you would in your computer or tablet but they are on the organizer screen and can turn em off from there.

4. If you enjoyed playing Youtube or internet audio in general in the background doing everything else (which I loved on my Z10), you don't have to get Youtube Red to continue that. Get Firefox and adBlock for it and voila, you have ad-free music on your Firefox and you can do whatever and it won't interrupt. Now this may apply to Lollipop which the Priv has at the moment. On my Nexus 7 with Marshmallow this Firefox trick only works if you just turn off the screen but the music starts glitching if you try to multitask.

5. If the phone seems to be running hot, you can download Cooler Master, a really nice app that helps regulate CPU temperature and cutoff background processes that may be causing the heat. Like BB10 you can also get the Blackberry Virtual Expert.

These are 5 points I wanted to share with you all since I've gotten the Priv. It's been interesting and goes to show that first impressions can mean a lot (which is why I nearly went back to get a S7 Edge or LG V10). I hope you give it a little chance within a couple of days after updates go through. If you have any questions let me know :P
    FF22, zephyr613 and sam81 like this.
    03-13-16 07:54 PM
    Holy Moses
    03-13-16 08:13 PM
    Ok.......

Posted via CB10
    03-13-16 08:15 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to tell us your experience. I appreciate it!

Posted via CB10
    03-13-16 08:20 PM
    Glad it's sorted for ya!
    03-13-16 08:27 PM
    i loaded cool master thanks
    03-13-16 09:02 PM
    Thanks for the tips. I'm impatiently waiting for my Priv.

Z30STA100-5/OS Ver10.3.2.2876/ SR 10.3.2.2836
    03-14-16 11:20 AM
    For those whose hub isn't working install gmail app.

Hide the icon and that will trigger it to get the mail.

Only problem is you hear the email twice.

Posted via the Innovative Blackberry PRIV - Powered by Android
    03-14-16 11:24 AM
    i loaded cool master thanks
    Any feedback on cool master?
    03-14-16 01:03 PM
    5. If the phone seems to be running hot, you can download Cooler Master
    Stop there.

Just do not use that, just hit clear all in the recent app screen.

or as a last, and i mean really last resort use Greenify instead.
    03-14-16 01:14 PM
    Stop there.

Just do not use that, just hit clear all in the recent app screen.

or as a last, and i mean really last resort use Greenify instead.
    Why Greenify and not Cooler Master? Just curious.
    03-14-16 03:00 PM
    Cooler master only runs when you want. Also just because you hit clear all it doesn't remove background processes. Greenify is nice but it's more bloat compared to cooler master. Also you can play as a happy penguin in a flappy bird knockoff game :P

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-14-16 03:30 PM
    Cooler master only runs when you want. Also just because you hit clear all it doesn't remove background processes. Greenify is nice but it's more bloat compared to cooler master. Also you can play as a happy penguin in a flappy bird knockoff game :P

Priorities thanks for the info

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 03:54 PM
    I'm leaning on the fence on getting a Priv.

Thanks for taking the time to post this and share your reflections.

That's what's best about this community.

Especially when you consider how large the purchase is.

Passport | Fido
    FF22 likes this.
    03-14-16 04:21 PM
    Good stuff. Glad you made day 3.

03-14-16 07:24 PM
    I just got my Priv. I liking what I see but how do I transfer contacts and calender items from BlackBerry OS10 to my Android device?

03-16-16 12:50 PM
    I just got my Priv. I liking what I see but how do I transfer contacts and calender items from BlackBerry OS10 to my Android device?

Does your contacts and calendar sync with an email account, if so it might be easy to just let it sync

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 01:06 PM

Since I was synced with Google it happened automatically when I added that account.

There is a Content Transfer app although some folks have mentioned problems with it. I used it to transfer my REMEMBER app data and my TEXT messages but that is all.
    03-16-16 01:09 PM
    Thanks. I'll check that one out.

03-16-16 01:49 PM
    Used the Content Transfer app with the SD Card option, worked like a charm!!

I haven't encountered any issues to date and this my 3rd day with my new Priv.

I'm not a big Android fan, but is does the job with less options than BB10. I use my device as a work horse, we'll see in a few weeks how it goes.

As a backup, I still have my Passport OG, a brand new SE and my older but great Z30 & Z10.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport SR 10.3.2.2836, OS 10.3.2.2876
    03-16-16 06:35 PM
    Does your contacts and calendar sync with an email account, if so it might be easy to just let it sync

Posted via CB10
    No. I was trying to stay off the grid as much as possible. I may have to accept the way of the world and sync to google.

03-16-16 07:16 PM
    Used the Content Transfer app with the SD Card option, worked like a charm!!

I haven't encountered any issues to date and this my 3rd day with my new Priv.

I'm not a big Android fan, but is does the job with less options than BB10. I use my device as a work horse, we'll see in a few weeks how it goes.

As a backup, I still have my Passport OG, a brand new SE and my older but great Z30 & Z10.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport SR 10.3.2.2836, OS 10.3.2.2876
    You're the second person to mention Content Tranfer. That's reassuring. I have my z30 as my back up. Thanks for the info.

03-16-16 07:19 PM
    No. I was trying to stay off the grid as much as possible. I may have to accept the way of the world and sync to google.

Use other providers if you want

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 09:55 PM
    You're the second person to mention Content Tranfer. That's reassuring. I have my z30 as my back up. Thanks for the info.

Yes, it worked really well. However I did not transfer my email accounts over. I started that process from scratch.

While doing that, I discovered that I could not add gmail accounts to the HUB, it would not accept it, saying that it could not establish connection to the server. I tried everything possible.

The Priv is a nice device and for the most part, everything works as it should, but is its not BlackBerry 10. If you need a productivity work horse, I don't believe this is the device.

In addition, I owned a 9800 back in the day and loved the keyboard on that device. The Priv's keyboard seems to have been crammed in there and seems to be smaller than what the 9800 was in my opinion. To be honest, the keyboard seem cheap and flimsy!! The material itself and keys seem lose compared to all the other BlackBerry devices with keyboards.

So screen if the screen was a little bigger, the keyboard was larger in width and height, I think I would have stuck with it. It's going back, and I'm going back to PP OG and setting up my new PP SE. If I need android, I'll jump on to my Note 4 that's also brand new and is pretty awesome, if you disregard all the Sammy Bloatware!!

Looking forward to seeing the next 2 Android devices BlackBerry will launch later this year, if that ever materializes.

Cheers!!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android Note 4
    Last edited by pepe68; 03-19-16 at 09:22 AM.
    03-19-16 07:25 AM
    So, I have been using the Priv for a couple of days and frankly I do miss the BB OS10 experience. The Android platform doesn't feel natural or intuitive. I'm not sure if this is because I've been a BlackBerry user for years and I have a learning curve to overcome.

Now, on the flip side, I have Apps. Ha ha. Seriously, that is the only plus I have. It's from the perspective fundamental for not sticking with the BB OS10.

Well, this is part of life journey so, let's see where this goes....

FF22 likes this.
    03-19-16 05:09 PM
29 12