I have a Priv from ATT that has worked flawlessly since their launch. Recently (and I couldn't guess when really - this month maybe) the phone has been shutting off its wifi within minutes, sometimes seconds, of me turning it on. This is my home wifi, I don't use any others. Other wifi devices (laptop, wife's Samsung) have no network issues. I have rebooted my Priv and the router (a Uverse model), I have erased and resaved the network, and I am at a loss. It doesn't help that electronics and IT issues are mostly over my head. I've RTDM and searched what forums I can find and have really found nothing. Any help would be appreciated.
    alexstorm likes this.
    09-26-16 02:06 PM
    Really would help if you tried connecting to other networks....

Have you installed any apps recently? Might try uninstalling them.

Might try rebooting your phone in safe mode and see if the Wi-Fi works without issues.

Might try doing a Factory Restore and see if the Wi-Fi works without issues - before restoring any data.

Might try contacting AT&T... and getting a replacement if none of the above works.
    09-26-16 02:14 PM
    I had a similar issue although mine wasn't disconnecting. but for some reason it ran really slow on my home wifi network. It was fine on my office wifi and all my other devices were working fine on the home wifi. I did do a factory restore and that didn't help either. I checked all the network settings on my router and even tried connecting the priv to the 5Gz side of the router (which no other devices are on)...all to no avail. Mine was factory unlocked with ATT sim card. I decided not to dig any further since I am sending it back and am going to ride my Q10 a bit longer and see if bb ends up releasing the pkb device early next year.

I would still be interested to hear if you find a fix as I will be going to back to the priv if bb doesn't release a pkb device (or if I don't like the pkb device as much as the priv).
    09-26-16 03:22 PM
    Sorry, I misspoke. I currently only use my home wifi. I have used several other networks, residential, business, and provider operated with no issues. I will attempt the safe mode reboot. Factory restore will probably be a last resort. Also, outside of updates from current apps, I think I've only added two or three apps at all. And none recently. I'm not exactly a power user.
    09-26-16 04:46 PM
    I was having the same issue the first week I had my Priv, did some troubleshooting on the Priv to no avail. I finally tackled my router and after doing a reset of the router I've had no further issues.

"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong"
    09-26-16 06:04 PM
    Annnd it acts up in safe mode.
    09-26-16 06:10 PM
    I was having the same issue the first week I had my Priv, did some troubleshooting on the Priv to no avail. I finally tackled my router and after doing a reset of the router I've had no further issues.

What does a "reset of the router" entail? I unplugged and rebooted mine several times. Nothing seemed to fix the issue. Linksys E4200. I don't know how the router could be the culprit when all the other devices in my house run just fine on the router. And the priv did too for the first couple weeks.

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    09-26-16 11:19 PM
    Annnd it acts up in safe mode.
    Now that does not sound good. I had an issue about two weeks ago. My wifi would suddenly be off. Happened for about a week. It had been flawless before. I could not imagine what was causing it. But decided it might be related to "saving power" and I UNinstalled Greenify and some other battery saving app. That did fix it.

One Year, 24 hour support

Blackberry Support 1-866-533-8067
    0800-141-3330 (UK)
    rotorwrench likes this.
    09-26-16 11:45 PM
    What does a "reset of the router" entail? I unplugged and rebooted mine several times. Nothing seemed to fix the issue. Linksys E4200. I don't know how the router could be the culprit when all the other devices in my house run just fine on the router. And the priv did too for the first couple weeks.

My other devices weren't having any issues either, including my PlayBook or my Classic, nor my wife's Z30. Some devices and routers just don't play well with each other, or it was a bad profile, not sure, but that was all I did and it's been stable since.

I'll also add the Priv wasn't having any problems with my work or church wifi at the time, so I was stumped.

Here is a link for Linksys router reset. Mine is a Netgear but it has a similar method. This will reset to factory settings, just so you know. You'll have to reset passwords if you use them.

Before I reset the router I'd first try it on other wifi networks out of curiosity.

F2 had a good suggestion as well and worth exploring before the router reset, especially if your Priv is doing fine on other networks.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=MgAP4r9B

09-27-16 12:28 AM

erose75, my router is AT&T's Uverse "gateway" (I think that's what they refer to it as) router. Likewise, everything else still runs fine on it and my Priv did as well until now. I got the Priv within the first month of launch (Oct/Nov '15?) as my third Torch (yeah, that long ago) had finally had it. I did a power off/delay/on restart of my router several times with no improvement.

F2, I haven't installed a new app since Spring, I think. Maybe even longer. But yes, my wifi will come on, or I will turn it on, I will see it connect and "talk" back and forth. Maybe it stays on, maybe it doesn't.
    09-27-16 08:16 AM
    rotorwrench, I went into the IP link to see my router's set up ( I found a troubleshooting forum somewhere that discussed how to do this if wifi wouldn't connect at all). I saw where there was a router reset option. It was password protected and I opted to not monkey with it before I wrecked all of my internet access.

I have too much irreplaceable (okay, sentimental) stuff on my phone to do a factory reset just yet. Once I've had the opportunity to ensure it is all backed up (I think it is already) I will consider flipping the switch.

Thanks everyone for your efforts so far.
    09-27-16 08:23 AM
    I did a factory reset of my priv since I am sending it back anyway. I went ahead and put it through initial setup and still the same issue struggling to connect over the home wifi. If I turn off wifi in the phone, it connects just fine on the cellular network. I have no problem doing a factory reset on the router as I don't have very many, if any, settings I really customized. I do have a separate modem/router setup, so there is always a chance it is something with the modem, but the modem is less than 1 year old...I think my router is at least 2-2.5. My setup at the office is a combo modem/router (netgear I think) which works fine.

I originally thought maybe it was the newest bb app updates, but the factory reset got rid of those updates (updates were waiting after I went back through initial setup), so I don't think anything in those apps caused the issue.
    09-27-16 08:35 AM
    Have you called BlackBerry phone support. It's free and maybe they have had other people with your issue. They are very good at getting things working properly.
    09-27-16 11:47 AM
    newcollector, I have not. It is an AT&T Priv and I was under the understanding that I would have to work through them. When it comes to Blackberry's, at least locally, they look at me like I have a third eye. Outside of the ones my mother and I have, I doubt they have seen a BB in years (if ever based on the age of some of them).
    09-27-16 12:10 PM
    Boy! I am just not good at this stuff. But as the saying goes about a blind squirrel finding a nut...

Stumbling around the Blackberry Knowledge Base (found while researching the mystery "No Service" issue which I also temporarily suffered from) I found this:
    Article #000038380 Unable to maintain Wi-Fi connection after upgrading to Android 6.0 Marshmallow on a AT&T Priv smartphone
    Issue Tracking
    •JI 1566922

Overview
    An issue has been identified with AT&T branded PRIV smartphones and Wi-Fi post Android 6.0 Marshmallow update.

After updating to Android 6.0 Marshmallow, end users will experience consistent Wi-Fi disconnects from all Wi-Fi access points that they pair their smartphone with.

Cause
    The issue appears to stem from the AT&T Smart Wi-Fi application and our development team is still currently investigating to determine the root cause.

Resolution
    This issue is under investigation by BlackBerry and AT&T. This article will be updated when new information is available.

Workaround
    To workaround the issue: 1.Open the Smart Wi-Fi application
    2.Disable Wi-Fi connection from here
    3.Enable Wi-Fi via the Smart Wi-Fi application and connect to a Wi-Fi access point

The issue was first reported on August 4, 2016 and was most recently addressed in the KB on August 19, 2016. Soooo, still no real fix, but there is the listed workaround. I hesitate to say that so far, and it hasn't been an hour yet, the workaround is successful and I am maintaining the connection (probably 55 minutes longer than it has been recently).

Thanks for everyone's input and help!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    09-27-16 05:12 PM
    Boy! I am just not good at this stuff. But as the saying goes about a blind squirrel finding a nut...

Stumbling around the Blackberry Knowledge Base (found while researching the mystery "No Service" issue which I also temporarily suffered from) I found this:
    Article #000038380 Unable to maintain Wi-Fi connection after upgrading to Android 6.0 Marshmallow on a AT&T Priv smartphone
    Issue Tracking
    •JI 1566922

Overview
    An issue has been identified with AT&T branded PRIV smartphones and Wi-Fi post Android 6.0 Marshmallow update.

After updating to Android 6.0 Marshmallow, end users will experience consistent Wi-Fi disconnects from all Wi-Fi access points that they pair their smartphone with.

Cause
    The issue appears to stem from the AT&T Smart Wi-Fi application and our development team is still currently investigating to determine the root cause.

Resolution
    This issue is under investigation by BlackBerry and AT&T. This article will be updated when new information is available.

Workaround
    3.Enable Wi-Fi via the Smart Wi-Fi application and connect to a Wi-Fi access point

The issue was first reported on August 4, 2016 and was most recently addressed in the KB on August 19, 2016. Soooo, still no real fix, but there is the listed workaround. I hesitate to say that so far, and it hasn't been an hour yet, the workaround is successful and I am maintaining the connection (probably 55 minutes longer than it has been recently).

Is the "smart wifi app" something different than the wifi settings?
    09-27-16 07:29 PM
    I believe the smart WiFi option is only on at&t (locked and unlocked) devices if I'm not mistaken. Don't remember seeing it on my factory unlocked with att sim card.

09-27-16 09:31 PM

Issue Tracking
    �JI 1566922

Overview

Cause

Resolution

Workaround

Good job tracking that down, since yours apparently isn't an isolated case with AT&T phones others can benefit from your efforts.

09-27-16 10:58 PM

Issue Tracking
    �JI 1566922

Overview

Cause

Resolution

Workaround

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 11:23 PM
    But I will say, in addendum, the only issues I have had is with the router at work. Because others were having an abundance of issues--different devices and networks--I blew it off. A replacement of our three year old router solved my problem.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 11:26 PM
    I have a Priv from ATT that has worked flawlessly since their launch. Recently (and I couldn't guess when really - this month maybe) the phone has been shutting off its wifi within minutes, sometimes seconds, of me turning it on. This is my home wifi, I don't use any others. Other wifi devices (laptop, wife's Samsung) have no network issues. I have rebooted my Priv and the router (a Uverse model), I have erased and resaved the network, and I am at a loss. It doesn't help that electronics and IT issues are mostly over my head. I've RTDM and searched what forums I can find and have really found nothing. Any help would be appreciated.
    I had pretty much the same problem. I suddenly started getting a "WiFi connection failure" when attempting to connect to my home WiFi. Every other WiFi network connected fine, and no other home devices had a problem connecting to the home network. I tried everything, but nothing worked. Recently I was going into my settings for some other reason and noticed the Verizon privacy and security app. It then occurred to me that maybe that was somehow involved in my WiFi problem. Sure enough, when I went into that app I saw an option for WiFi security and when I went into the option, I found that it had blocked my home WiFi! I don't have any idea why it would do that because it says that it blocks unsecured networks, and mine IS a secured network?? Apparently there is an option for listing allowed networks so that it won't do that again. I can't believe how much time I spent looking at the internet and trying dozens of possible fixes to this problem only to find out it was something as simple as that. I'm not really the type of person to take the time to blog, but I had to do it for this because I'm sure there are others out there with the same problem. Hope this helps!
    06-18-18 01:53 PM
    One more addition to my post...I know that others having the same WiFi problem may not have Verizon as I do, but I'm thinking that all of the providers likely have security measures that are similar and could be blocking WiFi networks. Verizon's app apparently blocked mine after an update because I used mine for a long time with no problems before suddenly getting an error.
    06-18-18 02:02 PM
    one thing to check: see what ip version your router is on. if it is ipv6 try changing it to ipv4. this is what worked for me. factory unlocked on att sim
    07-12-18 04:07 PM