Spoiler alert, it ain't pretty...

From Reddit:

tl;dw - Not the best phone out there.

-On paper, the specs sound great, yet they are the opposite in practice.
    -Performance falters a bit in the UI, though not while gaming.
    -The camera is okay and takes "mediocre 4K video".
    -The 2MP front facing camera is a joke.
    -The front facing speaker is average at best, and more often weak.
    -The keyboard is too small for his liking, but this is more of a subjective matter.
    -Build quality is mostly excellent, his only qualm being with the thin back cover.
    -Despite the thin back cover, it was quite grippy and didn't warrant a dbrand sales pitch.
    -Battery life is a B- as he got 3h SOT on average.
    11-20-15 12:12 AM
    Shame, he does review units properly and is as unbiased as one can be.
    I was hoping he would like it
    zaki67, dolco, yuvaraki and 2 others like this.
    11-20-15 12:16 AM
    Ahh it wasnt awful. He said Software updates could fix a lot of the issues. And we all knew the cameras werent the best.
    11-20-15 12:26 AM
    Another mediocre-to-trash review that not only falsely states the amount of RAM in the phone (wow, really!) but fails to speak even remotely about the wide range of security and privacy features added to the phone, and constantly uses Blackberrys past to discredit the device.

For the best tech guys on the Web, some of these reviews are pretty darn disappointing.

I mean, it's called the PRIV for a reason?! How can you review the PRIV without even touching on the main differentiating privacy and security themes and features of the phone?

I'm sorry if I appear to have a super high standard. I just think that if you pride yourself on being a professional tech reviewer, you should pull your head out of the sand and stop reviewing every single piece of new tech like it's consumer-only, status quo iphone/galaxy device.

Posted via CB10
    powereds, ce71, z3user and 12 others like this.
    11-20-15 12:45 AM
    Reviewers be like: "while the Priv is meant for people who value privacy productivity, and secur--- THE CAMERA DOESNT BEAT IPHONE AND THE CPU DOESNT LEAD IN BENCHMARK TESTS - DERPPP DONT BUY!!"

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 12:53 AM
    Another mediocre-to-trash review that not only falsely states the amount of RAM in the phone (wow, really!) but fails to speak even remotely about the wide range of security and privacy features added to the phone, and constantly uses Blackberrys past to discredit the device.

For the best tech guys on the Web, some of these reviews are pretty darn disappointing.

I mean, it's called the PRIV for a reason?! How can you review the PRIV without even touching on the main differentiating privacy and security themes and features of the phone?

I'm sorry if I appear to have a super high standard. I just think that if you pride yourself on being a professional tech reviewer, you should pull your head out of the sand and stop reviewing every single piece of new tech like it's consumer-only, status quo iphone/galaxy device.

Posted via CB10
    He acknowledged the error in RAM

What security features, DTEK? That doesnt change the issues he raised.
    He used Blackberry's past to credit this phone actually.

Sorry but why give the Priv a pass. What security features are there that can be seen and proven other then DTEK?
    He did exactly what he should do, which is provide a balanced review that is sadly in line with the others out there
    nokia4life, Deppe, kirson and 8 others like this.
    11-20-15 01:04 AM
    -The keyboard is too small for his liking, but this is more of a subjective matter.
    Which just means he's never used extensively a BlackBerry physical keyboard before. He even says so in a roundabout way by saying his first smartphone was a droid with a larger physical keyboard. I don't think folks that have never gotten used to a BlackBerry physical keyboard can appreciate how well even larger hands and fingers can use the small keys.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-20-15 01:10 AM
    The keyboard(s) on the PRIV are fantastic and super easy to use for anybody with two thumbs and a brain with eyes that work.

11-20-15 01:12 AM
    The keyboard(s) on the PRIV are fantastic and super easy to use for anybody with two thumbs and a brain with eyes that work.

Actually it's been said to have the same problems as the Torch ones which is too small and cramped, which is 100% accurate. And he says its his own opinion and others will differ.
    He didnt shoot your dog!
    JeepBB, nokia4life, TGR1 and 6 others like this.
    11-20-15 01:14 AM
    Why do we need to see this cr@p here? It's not a legit review. He seems like an idi0t and a liar.

He's probably the most well known independent phone reviewer there is.

11-20-15 01:14 AM
    Why do we need to see this cr@p here? It's not a legit review. He seems like an idi0t and a liar.

Ahh the old BB Zealot way. Attack and slander anyone who does not share the same opinion as you
    11-20-15 01:15 AM
    He's probably the most well known independent phone reviewer there is.

Agreed. Blackberry would do well to listen to this video
    11-20-15 01:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry needs more fans like you lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 01:22 AM

Sorry but why give the Priv a pass. What security features are there that can be seen and proven other then DTEK?
    He did exactly what he should do, which is provide a balanced review that is sadly in line with the others out there
    What security features?!?

- dtek
    - hotfix updates available without carrier permission
    - hardened Linux kernel
    - hardware injected identity keys and countless software level implementation to ensure device has not been tampered with.
    - picture password
    - Blackberrys track record in unrootable devices
    - etc.

You miss the point.

You don't go and review a Corvette based on its fuel economy, nor would you review a McDonald's happy meal and omit mentioning the accompanying toy.

When you review a product, you should step into the shoes of the target market it's meant for, aswell as from the mainstream or broader markets point of few.

Reviewing a phone called the PRIV and not talking about how it fares in a security and privacy context is like test driving an F1 car in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Do not mistake me for someone who will praise anything BlackBerry releases. I would have been equally satisfied had the reviewer actually criticized the Privs secuity and privacy abilities via legitimate analysis.

The problem here is that the reviewer didn't do this due dilligence. The reviewer did an uninspired, ill informed, cookie-cutter iphone-style review - completely ignoring the comparative context in-which this device was built primarily for, and should have been reviewed for.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 01:32 AM
    Actually it's been said to have the same problems as the Torch ones which is too small and cramped, which is 100% accurate. And he says its his own opinion and others will differ.
    He didnt shoot your dog!
    Shoot my dog? I don't get it. I never had any problems with the Torch keyboards either. I have normal sized hands, both have thumbs, I have eyes that work, and my brain is semi functional.

I can use the keyboard on the PRIV, does that bug you?

11-20-15 01:41 AM
    His review is garbage.

11-20-15 01:42 AM
    What security features?!?

- dtek
    - hotfix updates available without carrier permission
    - hardened Linux kernel
    - hardware injected identity keys and countless software level implementation to ensure device has not been tampered with.
    - picture password
    - Blackberrys track record in unrootable devices
    - etc.

You miss the point.

You don't go and review a Corvette based on its fuel economy, nor would you review a McDonald's happy meal and omit mentioning the accompanying toy.

When you review a product, you should step into the shoes of the target market it's meant for, aswell as from the mainstream or broader markets point of few.

Reviewing a phone called the PRIV and not talking about how it fares in a security and privacy context is like test driving an F1 car in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Do not mistake me for someone who will praise anything BlackBerry releases. I would have been equally satisfied had the reviewer actually criticized the Privs secuity and privacy abilities via legitimate analysis.

The problem here is that the reviewer didn't do this due dilligence. The reviewer did an uninspired, ill informed, cookie-cutter iphone-style review - completely ignoring the comparative context in-which this device was built primarily for, and should have been reviewed for.

Posted via CB10
    Those hotfixes you talk about are standard among most OEM's
    DTEK doesnt really do much and is just an app. It is not critical to the running of the device. he's not reviewing apps, he's reviewing a device.

And you missed the point. He's reviewing a device from a consumer viewpoint. They cant see or prove the hardened kernels, and more importantly they dont care about that stuff. He's addressing the issues that matter for consumers. In no way should he try and address it's supposed target because that's not his target audience. They wont be watching this, they have their own channels to watch.
    If you think that Blackberry Priv is not for consumers, then he's vindicated your thoughts and explained why its not for consumers.

Except he doesnt think that, he thinks with a few software fixes, some consumers will enjoy this device
    11-20-15 01:46 AM

OMG. Do you want them to tell EVERYONE what security features this phone has? The way they secured it? It's crazy!!

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku likes this.
    11-20-15 01:46 AM
    OMG. Do you want them to tell EVERYONE what security features this phone has? The way they secured it? It's crazy!!

Posted via CB10
    Well the main thing, is not many consumers care about that sort of thing or Blackberry wouldnt be in this situation :P
    Savior4Life likes this.
    11-20-15 01:50 AM
    I wouldn't even call it a skin kind of says it all.
    11-20-15 01:58 AM
    If it's not stock android, he's not going to like it.

Posted via CB10
    yuvaraki likes this.
    11-20-15 02:25 AM
    I totally disagree about the software keyboard only being pretty good, and the 2 megapixel camera being a joke, and only getting 3 hours sot...and don't get me started on the pkb...but I guess these critics need to criticize something.
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 11-20-15 at 07:28 AM.
    11-20-15 02:27 AM
    And I'm supposed to immediately care now? It's a cr@p review from a person who seems mildly dense. If that's the 'the most well known independent reviewer', then he needs to find another career path after this one.

Because many normal phone buyers watch his reviews. I guess you don't personally have to care. I don't see where calling him a liar is fair. But whatever.

yuvaraki and cwalt2166 like this.
    11-20-15 02:40 AM
    Ideally. But he is purely a consumer gadget reviewer and that's what his fan base expects. He even admitted he would not normally consider reviewing a BlackBerry except that the Priv runs Android.

cwalt2166 likes this.
    11-20-15 02:43 AM
    He doesn't like BlackBerry phones so even if it was better than s6 or iPhone 6s he will disregard it.
    He even specified the internals wrong. 2gigs ram!!!!
    I thought he would like it. Hope BlackBerry makes better device than this next year

damien kupuku likes this.
    11-20-15 02:44 AM
236 123 ...