Hi,

as the title indicates, installing the March update left me with a bricked phone. it may be a freak accident, but the last time I saw anything other than a black screen was as the update was installing. Now I'm left with a device with a blinking blue LED, that blinks in different sequences depending on what buttons I'm pressing down.

I've tried talking to BlackBerryHelp on twitter, which unfortunately has gotten me nowhere. although they appear to have a genuine interest in helping me, they appear to be in a hurry to respond. a typical back and forth is:

----

me: the phone is of, refuses to boot, and won't go into fastboot mode.

BBHelp: have you tried fastboot mode to reload the software?

me: ..? pray tell.. did you even read my last message?

----

any and all tips will be much appreciated. I am so tired of my passport, and spending money on a new phone a couple of weeks before the KEYone is launching seems a little redundant.

(btw the phone is out of warranty)
    03-19-17 03:29 PM
    Hold the volume down button & power button for 32 seconds or until you see the Blackberry symbol. Reboot into safe mode then follow same sequence and reboot into normal mode.
    yyz321 likes this.
    03-19-17 03:38 PM
    thanks.

so should probably have listed the things I've tried:

held down the power button 1 sec - 10 min
    held down power + volume up for 1 sec - 2 min
    held down power + volume down for 1 sec - 2 min
    held down power + volume up + volume down + mute button for 1 sec - 2 min

where 2 min means >> 32 sec.

have also tried to connect it to a Mac, but to no avail.
    03-19-17 03:55 PM
    Were you connected to WiFi when you updated the phone? The first Priv I had was bricked due to it not being connected to WiFi while updating. I panicked and took it to Verizon store and we booted it into safe mode and then regular mode. It was the only thing that helped. I later sold it and went back to iPhone. Now, I have a Priv and an iPhone. Other than rebooting into safe mode, I don't know what to tell you to fix it. You may have to re-download the software. Should be info in stickies on that or maybe FF2 can chime in?
    FeitaInc likes this.
    03-19-17 04:47 PM
    Unfortunately it was not connected to WiFi, so that may have been what went wrong for me as well.

How did you boot in into safe mode?

And do you remember if the LED flashed blue?

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 04:53 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-priv-1050129/

Probably need to flush the Rom, common droid problem.
    Last edited by berry1977; 03-19-17 at 09:41 PM.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    03-19-17 05:11 PM
    I only use telco data to update my priv, for all updates, that is security patch, and apps.

I don't have any problems. I appreciate others may have issues ....
    03-19-17 08:18 PM
    When entering Safe Mode, I personally find the instruction somewhat confusing. You are pressing and holding on the "Power Off" prompt. That is the text on the screen.

Fast Boot just in case it is needed again:

if your phone is comppletely dead .. hold on the power and vol down button for 2 min or less. it will boot in and give u 4 options.. select second one which is boot into fast boot .. then after selecting 2nd option presss power button to ok it .. it will still take you to same screen. now select 1st option. and voila ..your phone will be up and running.. im sure its a software issue bb has.

Are you not getting into Fast Boot mode?

When I bricked on using an Autoloader, it took me about 5 tries to get into Fast Boot.

Good luck.
    FeitaInc likes this.
    03-19-17 08:39 PM
    Are you not getting into Fast Boot mode?

When I bricked on using an Autoloader, it took me about 5 tries to get into Fast Boot.

Good luck.
    my problem is that the only effect holding down any button (or combinations of buttons, is that the sequence the LED flashes in changes, but it does not boot.
    03-20-17 08:40 AM
    According to BlackBerry Help, my Priv has suffered a hardware failure that happened to coincide with the software update. Unfortunately the Priv is out of warranty, so (to almost quote Florence & the machines)" my Priv days are over". That KEYone can't launch soon enough.

They did provide me with some info that might be useful to other in a similar situation, so here goes :

BLUE solid + RED blinkBackup bootchain with dead battery charging /
    BLUE BlinkIndicates SBL is executing a RAMDUMP /
    RED BlinkIndicates SBL is holding boot and charging a dead battery to a specific level /
    BLUE SolidIndicates backup bootchain is active (should be in fastboot mode)

SBL=serial boot loader

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 03-26-17 at 03:24 AM.
    03-25-17 06:56 AM
    According to BlackBerry Help, my Priv has suffered a hardware failure that happened to coincide with the software update. Unfortunately the Priv is out of warranty, so (to paraphrase Florence & the machines)" my Priv days are over". That KEYone can't launch soon enough.

They did provide me with some info that might be useful to other in a similar situation, so here goes :

RED BlinkIndicates SBL is holding boot and charging a dead battery to a specific level /

SBL=serial boot loader

Posted via CB10
    So, there's no way to recover from that type of boot failure? Sorry about that.
    03-25-17 10:23 AM
    There probably is, but I haven't found it yet.

BlackBerry Help (via twitter) have been helpful, but since the phone is out of warranty there's only so much they can (will?) do.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-17 02:13 PM
    I believe it's complete bs that a damn update bricks our phone and they won't do anything about it. My damn. Priv was fine before that update. Now it won't stop rebooting, I can't get into fast boot either. Running an autoloader is hit or miss, sometimes I can get to the safe mode menu and the autoloader thinks the Priv is in fast boot mode and proceeds to the next step. Then bam the Priv goes black flashing a random sequenced green light. ( I thought that meant it was wiping at one point) but nope it's sat like that for hours. One night I went to sleep and woke up to a welcome screen. Using the latest autoloader btw, anywho I fell back asleep, and when I woke up again it was back to the endless restarts. I've tried to go back to an older autoloader, but can't get past the black screen and flashing green light. I've reverted to my Z30, and let my Priv sit dead. I'll give it another try on another day. Right now it's a good looking paper weight. Sigh.

Posted via CB10
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    03-25-17 09:39 PM

SBL=serial boot loader

Posted via CB10
    Can someone pin this post of error blink codes so that this dead was not in vain.
    03-25-17 09:49 PM
    I believe it's complete bs that a damn update bricks our phone and they won't do anything about it. My damn. Priv was fine before that update. Now it won't stop rebooting, I can't get into fast boot either. Running an autoloader is hit or miss, sometimes I can get to the safe mode menu and the autoloader thinks the Priv is in fast boot mode and proceeds to the next step. Then bam the Priv goes black flashing a random sequenced green light. ( I thought that meant it was wiping at one point) but nope it's sat like that for hours. One night I went to sleep and woke up to a welcome screen. Using the latest autoloader btw, anywho I fell back asleep, and when I woke up again it was back to the endless restarts. I've tried to go back to an older autoloader, but can't get past the black screen and flashing green light. I've reverted to my Z30, and let my Priv sit dead. I'll give it another try on another day. Right now it's a good looking paper weight. Sigh.

Posted via CB10
    Oh.. Not just me then. Sorry to hear that you're having difficulties. Your Priv is doing more than mine, which I guess is worse.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 03:27 AM
    Have you tried finding the original Priv autoloader, like the Lollipop one. It may fail during installation, but it helped to bring my completely dead Priv back from the grave. Also, if the battery died during the installation, then you have to leave your phone charging for a couple of days. It took EXTREME patience on my side, and I was ready to fling it across the room several times, but it worked.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-26-17 06:19 AM
    Good to see blackdroid suffering like bb10... muahahahahah
    03-26-17 06:57 AM
    Good to see blackdroid suffering like bb10... muahahahahah
    I remember how much I laughed the first time I read somebody had to do a battery pull on a Z10. It's seems BlackBerry devices are BlackBerry devices, whatever OS they run.

Thanks for the tip about using a lollipop autoloader. Don't think it'll do much for my Priv, but who knows.

Even if there is a (hopefully very) low chance that an update might result in a bricked device, I'm thrilled BlackBerry pushes out the updates.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 01:36 PM
    I remember how much I laughed the first time I read somebody had to do a battery pull on a Z10. It's seems BlackBerry devices are BlackBerry devices, whatever OS they run.

Thanks for the tip about using a lollipop autoloader. Don't think it'll do much for my Priv, but who knows.

Even if there is a (hopefully very) low chance that an update might result in a bricked device, I'm thrilled BlackBerry pushes out the updates.

Posted via CB10
    Makes me anxious to keep updating my Priv.
    03-26-17 05:48 PM
    And i used to think Android is Android and wouldn't face software issues at user end ala LG, Samsung, HtC etc.... but BB just chenned its android users too as per this thread
    03-26-17 07:50 PM
    Sooooo. The consensus is in. I put my Priv on punishment (or it put me on punishment) for a few days. I left it for dead, I mean completely dead. After seeing my first Priv in the wild today, I decided I would give her another go. I was able to successfully charge it to 100%, so I proceeded to turn it on and wham, bam, thank you ma'am it booted into safe mode. I plugged her up to the computer and ran the latest autoloader without any hiccups. Now I'm sitting at a wonderful blue welcome screen waiting for me to finish this post. Oh joy to the world!!!!

Posted via CB10
    bluesqueen23, FF22 and jakie55 like this.
    03-27-17 10:06 PM
    Sooooo. The consensus is in. I put my Priv on punishment (or it put me on punishment) for a few days. I left it for dead, I mean completely dead. After seeing my first Priv in the wild today, I decided I would give her another go. I was able to successfully charge it to 100%, so I proceeded to turn it on and wham, bam, thank you ma'am it booted into safe mode. I plugged her up to the computer and ran the latest autoloader without any hiccups. Now I'm sitting at a wonderful blue welcome screen waiting for me to finish this post. Oh joy to the world!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Huzzah!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-17 07:51 AM
    soo.. just replaced the motherboard on my Priv, waited for it to charge back over 50% and then did a clean install. so far so good, but now it's stuck in fastboot loop.

something tells me this Priv really doesn't want to work anymore. I've just left in in the charger. perhaps it sorts itself out.
    06-02-17 03:17 PM