I don't know if it has been asked before, but is it possible to make a custom ringtone on the Priv? I have an audio clip of my son when he was a toddler. Would love to make it into a ringtone. Do I need to download an app or am I missing something? It is already on my phone in the Google Play Music app.
    11-06-16 04:16 AM
    Oh, I doubt if any one has made a clip of your kid at this point.
    But if you do a doddle, say.. something in the general area of "How to make a ring tone, blah, blah,blah" You''ll find so many free apps to choose from that it'll make you decide to just find a tone that sounds like a toddler and that'll free up your time to check out some of the less important offerings!

OK! I don't know that anyone HAS asked or I'd probably know the answer.
    Of course, you should prepare yourself for several different answers along with why you should use this app or that app and of course our threads or now trackless so you won't have to worry about get derailed .
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 11-06-16 at 06:14 AM.
    11-06-16 05:54 AM
    The first step is store a sound clip of your toddler on your computer as an mp3 file.

If you have Windows, download a program called AVCWare Ringtone.

This program can then convert your audio clip into a ringtone up to 45 seconds long.

Connect your Priv to your PC/laptop and copy the ringtone into your ringtone system folder.

Go to your phone settings and choose your new ringtone as default.

I have used this method to install about 30 custom ringtone of my most favorite songs.
    Kyle.E.Woyote likes this.
    11-06-16 09:22 AM
    I don't know if it has been asked before, but is it possible to make a custom ringtone on the Priv? I have an audio clip of my son when he was a toddler. Would love to make it into a ringtone. Do I need to download an app or am I missing something? It is already on my phone in the Google Play Music app.
    You can generally use any mp3 file. It might have to be clipped/shortened and from readings, it works best if placed in INTERNAL Memory in the Ringtone folder.

There are any number of apps or computer programs that can edit/cut mp3 files including Audacity for computer.
    pawnkiller99 likes this.
    11-06-16 09:32 AM
    You can generally use any mp3 file. It might have to be clipped/shortened and from readings, it works best if placed in INTERNAL Memory in the Ringtone folder.

There are any number of apps or computer programs that can edit/cut mp3 files including Audacity for computer.

That is correct. You have to put it in the native internal folder for ringtones and not on the SD card portion of your Priv.

The beauty of AVCWare is you can adjust the start point and end point of your ringtone within the song. For example, one of my favorite ringtones is Sade's Smooth Operator and I choose one at the beginning and another one in the middle of the song.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-06-16 09:56 AM
    That is correct. You have to put it in the native internal folder for ringtones and not on the SD card portion of your Priv.

The beauty of AVCWare is you can adjust the start point and end point of your ringtone within the song. For example, one of my favorite ringtones is Sade's Smooth Operator and I choose one at the beginning and another one in the middle of the song.
    Actually all of my custom ringtones and notification tones are on my SD card in my media folder and work quite well from there. Also , they are all recordings or music tracks, no app used to make them ringtones. The only thing that I've noticed is that after every 4th or 5th restart (I do a restart or hard reboot once a week) that my ringtone may revert to the defaults, which takes me all of 10 seconds to reset.

From Sound And Notification I select phone ringtone, select my file manager, select SD card, select Android, navigate to media, select music or recordings and choose the file I want. That's it. I do the same for Default Notification Ringtone. For other function and app notification I do the same in each individual app.

From what I've read on the forums, the defaulting may not even be related to them being on my SD card as others have reported ringtones and other settings defaulting after a reboot.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-06-16 at 04:01 PM.
    11-06-16 10:37 AM
    Actually all of my custom ringtones and notification tones are on my SD card in my media folder

From what I've read on the forums, that may not even be related to them being on my SD card as others have reported ringtones and other settings defaulting after a reboot.

I'm gonna have to try that one of these days and move my ringtones to my 128 GB SD card which has a lot more spare room than the native 32 GB memory which is rapidly filling up.
    11-06-16 11:25 AM
    I'm gonna have to try that one of these days and move my ringtones to my 128 GB SD card which has a lot more spare room than the native 32 GB memory which is rapidly filling up.
    I too prefer to have as much on my SD card as possible. All my music, media and documents especially are there, less likely to lose them in the event of a phone crash. I've always used music and voice files for ringtones with no issues or necessity of an app, back to my 9930 and Z30.
    11-06-16 03:51 PM
    I was able to get the custom ringtones thing worked out for phone calls, but haven't been able to find the method for text message notifications yet. Any ideas?
    11-06-16 03:53 PM
    I was able to get the custom ringtones thing worked out for phone calls, but haven't been able to find the method for text message notifications yet. Any ideas?
    You need to do it from within the text app itself. Open your sms client and go to settings. The notification and ringtone options should be there.
    11-06-16 07:05 PM
    You need to do it from within the text app itself. Open your sms client and go to settings. The notification and ringtone options should be there.
    It depends on your default SMS app. Unfortunately, I am using Verizon Messaging as my text app and although you have about 60 nice notification tones available to choose from, it does not allow for the creation of a custom one. I would love to have a Ron Burgundy ringtone...LOL
    11-06-16 07:33 PM
    It depends on your default SMS app. Unfortunately, I am using Verizon Messaging as my text app and although you have about 60 nice notification tones available to choose from, it does not allow for the creation of a custom one. I would love to have a Ron Burgundy ringtone...LOL
    I too am on VZW and using the default SMS app Messenger. I had no problem with my Star Trek communicator tone that's on my SD card or several other custom ones I recorded myself.

What steps are you using while attempting to assign the SMS ringtone?
    misterabrasive likes this.
    11-06-16 10:10 PM
    I worked it out myself. It was quite simple in the end. I went to settings - storage and then selected audio. Found the file of my son and then copied it ringtones. All done. Thanks to everyone who got involved.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-07-16 04:49 AM
    Oh, I doubt if any one has made a clip of your kid at this point.
    But if you do a doddle, say.. something in the general area of "How to make a ring tone, blah, blah,blah" You''ll find so many free apps to choose from that it'll make you decide to just find a tone that sounds like a toddler and that'll free up your time to check out some of the less important offerings!

OK! I don't know that anyone HAS asked or I'd probably know the answer.
    Of course, you should prepare yourself for several different answers along with why you should use this app or that app and of course our threads or now trackless so you won't have to worry about get derailed .
    Everyone else was helpful in this thread except for you.... Don't be such a ****! The guy had a legitimate question, and he asked it. Don't feel like answering and being nice and helpful? Then don't...
    ivabiggun71 and anon(3732391) like this.
    11-07-16 05:16 AM
    Everyone else was helpful in this thread except for you.... Don't be such a ****! The guy had a legitimate question, and he asked it. Don't feel like answering and being nice and helpful? Then don't...
    Ya mean, despite not offering anything of any use yourself, you have the audacity to attempt to tell me how to conduct myself???
    I'm curious to know how many of your 24 (count 'em) TWENTY-FOUR POSTS did you use to help anyone with an issue on their device.
    I have a bit over 25,000 (count 'em) TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND more post than you. Several thousand were used to HELP others with their issues. I've been coming here for years every day to volunteer my time to do something useful as a way to thank the good people that have given us this website FREE of Charge.

I've earned the right to have a bit of friendly fun.
    Comments from others that have nothing useful to offer, and have very little self esteem, will always try to bring someone like myself down to their level, in an attempt to make themselves feel better. So, how's that working out for you?
    By the way... If you're keeping score, you failed miserably on this one!
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 11-07-16 at 08:00 AM.
    11-07-16 07:37 AM
    I use the app "Ringtone maker" for all my custom ringtones!
    11-07-16 08:23 AM
    I followed your instructions several times and still could not get to a custom ringtone. When I select the "Notification sound", all I get is the list of standard tones. I even have a ringtones folder in the internal storage but hte listing doesn't obviously see it. Any other ideas?
    11-07-16 09:40 AM
    I followed your instructions several times and still could not get to a custom ringtone. When I select the "Notification sound", all I get is the list of standard tones. I even have a ringtones folder in the internal storage but hte listing doesn't obviously see it. Any other ideas?
    Do you have a file manager? Here is exactly my process. I just changed to a new SMS ringtone to verify the steps.

Open Messenger, top right overflow menu (three vertical dots) , open it, select "Customize" , I then get the customize page, 6th row down is "Tones" , select it, now I get a small window at the bottom giving me the option to open Solid Explorer or "Media Storage" , I choose Solid Explorer, then the following sequence of choices : my SD card, Android, Media, Music and then my custom ringtone choice.

When you get into "Customize" and choose "Tones" what happens for you at that point?
    Attached Thumbnails Making a custom ringtone-52342.jpg  
    FF22 likes this.
    11-07-16 06:53 PM
    Do you have a file manager? Here is exactly my process. I just changed to a new SMS ringtone to verify the steps.

Open Messenger, top right overflow menu (three vertical dots) , open it, select "Customize" , I then get the customize page, 6th row down is "Tones" , select it, now I get a small window at the bottom giving me the option to open Solid Explorer or "Media Storage" , I choose Solid Explorer, then the following sequence of choices : my SD card, Android, Media, Music and then my custom ringtone choice.

When you get into "Customize" and choose "Tones" what happens for you at that point?
    When I follow your order, click Customize, click Tones, all I get is a drop down menu of the built in 50 or so available ringtones.
    My favorite is Caffeinated Rattlesnake.

For some reason, unlike you, I do not get the option to choose b/w my File Explorer App or Media Storage.

Strange.
    11-08-16 12:01 AM
    When I open thee overflow menu, I get 3 choices: Archived, Settings, Help & Feedback. If I chose Settings, the menu shows Notification sound, and when I select it, I get the standard list of sound options with no capacity to select something outside of that list.

If it's of any informational value, I'm running an unlocked AT&T Priv on the TMO network.
    11-08-16 10:34 AM
    I put my ringtone and notification in the Notification folder in the internal card.
    I do this by transferring the tones from my computer directly into the notification folder.
    The new toned then come up with the standard tones in both notification and ringtone.
    I do have a file manager although not the one you have.
    I was having trouble trying to create new alarm tones.
    Eventually through trial and error I played the song / tone using the file manager music player I then played a song tapped the three dots at top, tapped ringtone where I had three choices.
    Set tones, ringtone or alarms.
    The file manager then put in song or shortcut in the correct folder.
    Perhaps your file manager does something similar.
    I do have your file manager in my phone but have not opened it yet.
    If you continue to have trouble please post I may open it and try.
    11-08-16 11:02 AM
    When I follow your order, click Customize, click Tones, all I get is a drop down menu of the built in 50 or so available ringtones.
    My favorite is Caffeinated Rattlesnake.

For some reason, unlike you, I do not get the option to choose b/w my File Explorer App or Media Storage.

Strange.
    That is odd. If you don't get any options from where to choose a tone except the default folder then you have no choice but to find a way to put your custom tones in that folder. I don't understand why you aren't offered other options to choose from.

Maybe Solid Explorer forces itself into the options structure of the firmware. Since it's free, maybe it's worth loading Solid Explorer, restarting the phone and see if you get the same options I get. You can always delete it later.
    11-08-16 11:04 AM
    When I open thee overflow menu, I get 3 choices: Archived, Settings, Help & Feedback. If I chose Settings, the menu shows Notification sound, and when I select it, I get the standard list of sound options with no capacity to select something outside of that list.

If it's of any informational value, I'm running an unlocked AT&T Priv on the TMO network.
    That may be the issue, your SMS client being different than mine. I'm on VZW using Messenger + for SMS. Your options are different than what I have available. What works on my phone apparently won't work with your SMS client. Sorry, I have no other suggestions at this point except for using a ringtone app.
    11-08-16 11:13 AM
    I can not find a way to set tones with solid explorer either.
    If you do not want to transfer using computer to phone I use ES FILE explorer pro it cost 3.99 but there is a free version.
    By using this app I can transfer music, tones to notification, ringtone and alarm folders.
    11-08-16 11:54 AM
    There are ways to change wav files to mp3 and visa versa on android as well as computer. Here is one such app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...MediaConverter
    11-08-16 04:15 PM
26 12