Is there any reason why it takes so long for a Blackberry to boot, includng the Priv?
    On the other hand, iPhones and other Andriod devices take no time to boot.
    08-18-16 09:14 PM
    No one knows. The only assumed and often presented explanation is... security. BlackBerry devices all do additional checks at start up, hence the longer boot time. This question has been asked throughout BlackBerry's entire existence.
    08-18-16 09:42 PM
    to me it's not very related. I mean yeah it takes a lot of time but I usually don't do it much, so in the end I don't lose a lot of time
    08-18-16 10:05 PM
    I reset my handsets a few times a week. I believe that a handset, much like a PC, should be rebooted to clean the system.
    08-18-16 10:50 PM
    There's no reason to periodically boot a phone. If it's leaking memory the OS is crap and needs fixed.

The servers I rely on for various things often go months without a reset; the only time they get reloaded is when I do an OS upgrade or similar. I've had some that have had uptimes measured in years in production use, and "rebooted to upgrade OS" or "rebooted because the power went off for longer than we had backup available" should be the norm rather than the exception.

The Priv is in that category now; it wasn't at original release but it's in that realm today, which is nice. So was BB10 toward the end of my time with the Passport....
    08-19-16 07:29 AM
    There's no reason to periodically boot a phone. If it's leaking memory the OS is crap and needs fixed.
    A very large number of android 'guru's' advise a weekly if not more often reboot.
    I know that on Lollipop, after any app updates where more than a couple were updated, and after any OS update. mine would get little lags and or slow app loading, not every time, but enough to be noticeable.
    So I started doing the reboots, and had no issues. Think I'll just continue to do them, until a large # of android experts say it's no longer necessary.
    AT&T advises a weekly phone shut off, so that the network connection settings can be refreshed. Not that I have a lot of faith in what AT&T says, but.
    And anytime you call tech support, the very first thing they have you do is reboot.

I'm in total agreement with you on rebooting servers, unnecessary. I'm unsure on PC's, but they reboot every time there is a software update, so no need to make a point of doing it yourself.

As far as BB long boot time, I've been BB so long I have nothing to compare it to. I just do it in the morning before I actually need phone.
    And I don't sit there and watch it!
    08-19-16 08:25 AM
    I think at one point I noticed that it seemed like my Priv got faster when it was in battery save mode, that's when I turned off the transitions. I know I don't reboot much, so speed of boot doesn't bother me. Probably the longest is due to me walking away from it during bootup and not putting in my passcode to finish the boot process.
    Wezard likes this.
    08-19-16 08:46 AM
    My last reboot on my Priv was accidental (was placing it in my running pouch, got distracted talking to someone and didn't realize that I had grabbed it wrong and held the power key long enough to force a reboot in the process.) The Quadrooter patch of course required a reboot as well; that was a "same day" deal.

Prior to that it had been about 2 weeks.

Android has historically had a lot of trouble with RAM leaks in operating system code (not the kernel, but in Android itself) which over time leads to performance problems. BlackBerry has fixed a number of these as various releases have come forward since the Priv was first launched, and the current code has proved to be very stable.

Unnecessary reboots, especially if not plugged in, simply burn up battery power for no purpose. A device that has crap software on it and leaks memory should not be tolerated, it should be rammed up the manufacturer's or seller's backside.
    08-19-16 11:15 AM
    It is debatable if we should consider an Andriod to be server grade. I don't.

We all have a few 3rd party apps in our phones, are they all perfect in memory management?

Also, all my previous handsets would hang once in a while and the only remedy is power-cycle. Good that my Priv did not hang in one week of ownership.
    Last edited by mis3; 08-19-16 at 08:22 PM.
    08-19-16 06:27 PM
    Apps run under the os; when you exit them the ram is released.

If you are leaking ram it's Android doing it, not the app.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-19-16 08:22 PM
    It wasn't a hassle at all under BB10. My Passport made it just over a year without a reboot with no signs of sluggishness, but Android is less cooperative. By the end of a few days, widgets will freeze, apps won't load, and the phone will bog down, necessitating a reboot. Saving some time here would be useful.
    08-20-16 01:46 AM
    It wasn't a hassle at all under BB10. My Passport made it just over a year without a reboot with no signs of sluggishness, but Android is less cooperative. By the end of a few days, widgets will freeze, apps won't load, and the phone will bog down, necessitating a reboot. Saving some time here would be useful.
    My experience with the Priv (which has roughly 100 apps on it) does not match yours. I have regularly clocked uptimes of more than 400 hours (according to the phone) with the more-recent firmware and the most-common reason for me to reset it is that a new firmware update has become available (which tends to happen monthly with the security patch releases, natch.)

It is true that Lollipop had serious memory management issues, as did the first firmware release of "M". But this has largely been resolved - and I do note that BB10 had a whole series of these sorts of issues too, including (during the Z10 days) unsolicited resets that occurred with some revisions, particularly Verizon's first firmware releases.
    08-20-16 06:00 AM