Everyone in the Android subreddit is banking over the price, no one can believe they would ask this much for the device.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm..._for_749_ship/

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 11:00 AM
    Everyone in the Android subreddit is banking over the price, no one can believe they would ask this much for the device.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm..._for_749_ship/

Posted via CB10
    Damage is already done. By the time this phone releases and official pricing is announced, even if different, those that were enthusiastic about this device and decided to wait will move on to a different brand after this announcement leaking out. As of right now, they lost me as well. I am not paying iPhone territory for an Android handset, no way, no how. I may change my mind when the phone launches if the price is substantially lower. I am in no rush to buy this since I have an iPhone 6s Plus and a Passport right now.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    10-22-15 11:11 AM
    Meh.. it is what it is. BlackBerry is not a consumer driven company. Never has been and never will be.

I'm not surprised by the $750 price tag at all. I knew it would not be cheap.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    10-22-15 11:18 AM
    Now I start to believe someone said that John Chen doesn't want this phone to be successful and he wish to software only...
    10-22-15 11:41 AM
    Meh.. it is what it is. BlackBerry is not a consumer driven company. Never has been and never will be.

I expected it to cost even more. They have lost so much more potential to make even more money. An appropriate price point should have been in the $1000USD range.

 вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (AT&T OS 10.3.2.2474)
    10-22-15 12:20 PM
    Chen told us.

"High end price, yes."

Why are we still suprised?

In Squircle I Trust
    10-22-15 12:34 PM
    Chen told us.

"High end price, yes."

In Squircle I Trust
    Because if they aren't looking to compete on price, then why make the phone anyway? It won't sell at $750 American. Find me someone who has $750 in his pocket and wants the Priv instead of the iPhone 6s/Plus. I've got a bridge to sell.
    10-22-15 12:38 PM
    Chen told us.

"High end price, yes."

In Squircle I Trust
    I'm not surprised, just think that it is overpriced and should be $100 USD less. Hopefully they will have a similar sale when the Passport came out and you can buy from $100 cheaper for a limited time, but not expecting that. I am just disappointed because this is the most hype Blackberry has had for a phone in years, and I think they are pricing themselves out of a hit.
    10-22-15 12:39 PM
    Because if they aren't looking to compete on price, then why make the phone anyway? It won't sell at $750 American. Find me someone who has $750 in his pocket and wants the Priv instead of the iPhone 6s/Plus. I've got a bridge to sell.
    Does it count if I have $750 and want the Priv in addition to my 6S?

I'll pay $750. I think that's $100 too much, though, and they would do better at $650. But at the end of the day I'll still pay the $750.
    10-22-15 12:59 PM
    I expected it to cost even more. They have lost so much more potential to make even more money. An appropriate price point should have been in the $1000USD range.

 вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (AT&T OS 10.3.2.2474)
    This is an asinine opinion. If they want to sell any they can't outprice the market.

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    10-22-15 02:48 PM
    People seem to be forgetting that most Americans (and Canadians) dont buy their phones outright....they buy them on a contract or they "finance" the phone over a period of 24 months...thats what AT&T, Verizon, Tmobile, and Sprint do. A galaxy note 5 is $749, the galaxy S6 edge + is i believe $799, iPhone 6s+ is $749. I posted this in another thread but if a canadian carrier is selling the priv for $799 CAD then there is no way it will sell for $749 USD....
    10-22-15 02:48 PM

Oh come on, not this again. The handset division will die without consumers. Even John Chen stated that explicitly in one of his recent interviews. Not verbatim, but what he said was that "corporate buys too infrequently and they are not enough to sustain BlackBerry's handset business". I believe this was at re/code mobile.
    10-22-15 02:51 PM
    While I do agree the price is to high, BlackBerry have obviously thought about it long and hard and have decided on this price point for some reason. I have a feeling if the price is correct, it will drop to $699 rather quickly. (less than 2 months)

You getting;

BlackBerry Product, assured quality and durability.
    Touch sensitive keyboard
    "Slider Mechanism"
    Secured Android
    Gorgeous Screen
    Thin profile with big battery
    Quality 18mp camera + 4k recording.

For me, I'll pay a extra $100 just for the BlackBerry name because I love them and want to support them. But a $649 would be a much nicer price

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on OS 10.3.3.271
    10-22-15 02:59 PM
    There's nothing wrong with a low-volume strategy. There are a lot of less price sensitive customers out there and if you sell just to them, outsource your design and OS development, don't spend a lot on marketing, and don't get stuck with a lot of excess inventory then you can make a profit.

This is like a bunt - pretty easy to get to 1st base but you're not going to go any farther. However, your fans will boo because they want you to swing away each time even though your batting average is 0.110
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-22-15 03:02 PM
    All of us who have been saving up since we bought a Z10 should have enough to buy 3 by now...

Seriously though, the phone has it all and is up-to-date, I for one (and many others) have been begging for BlackBerry to make a true cutting edge flagship for the last two years, they finally did it and Im willing to pay a premium price for a top of the line premium device.

If you dont like it thats what they built the leap for. You get what you pay for

Posted via CB10
    salokin15 likes this.
    10-22-15 03:26 PM
    Quick question from someone late to the BlackBerry party. When BlackBerry went from bb07 to bb10 did they give any credit for old phones in an attempt to get users on board with the new OS? Any chance they try that with bb10 to Android? I don't expect it necessarily, just throwing it out there especially since Chen mentioned special financing and pricing through BlackBerry directly.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 03:32 PM
    I have no problem forking over $750 all at once. One because I didn't already spend money on a new IPhone. Doesn't make $$$ sense to complain getting another high end phone when you already have the leatest IPhone 6s let alone already owning a Passport to in addition. Doesn't make sense. I mean, that kind of complaint about Priv price when you already own 2 flagships is not a credible complaint.
    2nd, I wouldn't have a problem forking over $750, if & only if it is unchained to a carrier and good for GSM & CDMA networks and it has the latest Amdroid Version 6.0
    10-22-15 03:35 PM
    ... I'm not surprised by the $750 price tag at all. I knew it would not be cheap.
    It's being offered by Rogers in Canada at $799, so based on the $0.76 US exchange rate that would be $610 US.
    10-22-15 03:55 PM
    I have no problem forking over $750 all at once. One because I didn't already spend money on a new IPhone. Doesn't make $$$ sense to complain getting another high end phone when you already have the leatest IPhone 6s let alone already owning a Passport to in addition. Doesn't make sense. I mean, that kind of complaint about Priv price when you already own 2 flagships is not a credible complaint.
    2nd, I wouldn't have a problem forking over $750, if & only if it is unchained to a carrier and good for GSM & CDMA networks and it has the latest Amdroid Version 6.0
    It's just a conscious decision not to pay such a premium for an Android handset. That's all. It's not because I don't have money to pay for it, it's that I do not feel that it is worth the money. iPhones have great support, the best ecosystem, and incredible resale value. I can sell my iPhone 6s Plus almost a year from now for $900. Passport is just a unique device and a serious workhorse, not to mention that it is the last true BlackBerry flagship. I had it since before my iPhone, and for now I have no intention to sell it. PRIV is ultimately just a glorified Android with a keyboard. If I'm buying it I'm primarily buying it because of brand loyalty, but BlackBerry is testing me by trying to gouge me on price.
    thecurryman likes this.
    10-22-15 04:05 PM
    Last time... only because it's appropriate thread..

Let's hope the price is wrong-privmeme.jpg

seriously...

But, while I want to get a priv... Chen is indeed pushing to "gracefully" axe any and all hardware.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 04:15 PM
    It's being offered by Rogers in Canada at $799, so based on the $0.76 US exchange rate that would be $610 US.
    Bout time you mericuns got screwed

Been happening to us for decades.

I knew this would end up being another BBRY phone I won't buy. No way in hell I'm shelling out anywhere near that price to be Chen's Guinea pig. I'll wait a till all the bugs are worked out (typically) about three updates from now and by then the price will be down to next to nothing.

Happy beta testing to the poor souls who are ordering now
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    10-22-15 04:16 PM
    Bout time you mericuns got screwed

Been happening to us for decades.

I knew this would end up being another BBRY phone I won't buy. No way in hell I'm shelling out anywhere near that price to be Chen's Guinea pig. I'll wait a till all the bugs are worked out (typically) about three updates from now and by then the price will be down to next to nothing.

Happy beta testing to the poor souls who are ordering now
    Meanwhile I have huge street creds, and all the cool chicks at the bar. (bought today at 799 CDN)
    10-22-15 05:03 PM
    Damage is already done. By the time this phone releases and official pricing is announced, even if different, those that were enthusiastic about this device and decided to wait will move on to a different brand after this announcement leaking out. As of right now, they lost me as well. I am not paying iPhone territory for an Android handset, no way, no how. I may change my mind when the phone launches if the price is substantially lower. I am in no rush to buy this since I have an iPhone 6s Plus and a Passport right now.
    yeah.

I'm willing to pay a premium, but the gold standard for a flagship and high quality Android phone is $399 to $499, depending on storage configuration.

A 32GB Moto X Pure Edition 2015, with SD card support, is $450. It doesn't have the BB keyboard, but I am familiar with Android--having had one for about 18 months, a Samsung Galaxy S3--and I had it outfitted with just the right handful of customizations to make it VERY useful. I could buy this Moto X right now, plug in my SIM card, and within minutes have that same experience right back.

And one of those customizations is SwiftKey, the best damn screen keyboard ever made. Bar none. (Of course, that's kinda like debating which country's dirt tastes better, but I digress.)

For $400 less I will happily skip the BB keyboard with what I know today, and get a pure Google experience and updates/upgrades without even a manufacturer like BB or Samsung in the way, let alone a carrier.

For $450 I'd snap up the Priv. So, the right price is somewhere between $450 and $850. But it ain't $850. Frankly, even $750 is a struggle.
    10-22-15 05:15 PM
    People seem to be forgetting that most Americans (and Canadians) dont buy their phones outright....they buy them on a contract or they "finance" the phone over a period of 24 months...thats what AT&T, Verizon, Tmobile, and Sprint do. A galaxy note 5 is $749, the galaxy S6 edge + is i believe $799, iPhone 6s+ is $749. I posted this in another thread but if a canadian carrier is selling the priv for $799 CAD then there is no way it will sell for $749 USD....
    Why does this phone have to be cheaper than the phones listed above? Here in Canada you can buy iPhone for $1000 and no one bats an eye. $750 for a BlackBerry and everyone loses their mind. Suck it up and pay the price for an excellent phone. If it is too expensive for you then get the phones they offer for free and are 3 years old.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 05:16 PM
    Excellent point. I've never had iPhone, but I am considering it at some level. And yeah, at that price I can get a well-established product with huge support at all levels.
    Cynycl likes this.
    10-22-15 05:17 PM
33 12