I like my Priv, it maybe lacks the slickness of my 6s+ (still not sold it yet) but it is IMO a really good phone, better than I was expecting and I'm really enjoying using it.

Here's the thing though, nobody I know has even heard of it and a lot of my friends like their gadgets. This means that Blackberry has done a really bad job of letting the world know it is out there.

Maybe they've given up on hardware/waiting to be bought etc and just don't care or maybe they are just really bad at this? I just think it's a shame and I'm really starting to think that the priv will be BBs last phone. I hope not as competition is healthy and Blackberry have always made great devices (torch excepted)
    FF22 and Mattster723 like this.
    02-07-16 03:19 PM
    There are a number of manufacturers of Android phones out there, most bigger than BlackBerry. Sony isn't cutting it. HTC is bleeding. Some low end manufacturers do fair, but they have little to no share of the pie on the big table. They scramble for the scraps, what little that doesn't get sucked up by the big dogs, that is.
    Blacklatino and Shadowyugi like this.
    02-07-16 11:29 PM
    You mean no marketing firm Blackberry yes. That's right and they depend only on social media marketing.
    02-07-16 11:36 PM
    You mean no marketing firm Blackberry yes. That's right and they depend only on social media marketing.
    Ironic because the most prolific users of social media wouldn't be caught dead with a BlackBerry, or as some like to refer to it, the Dinosaur.

No, really BlackBerry has a problem understanding who are its customers and how best to target them. They make random decisions that they hope stick.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-08-16 12:02 AM
    It is not just the priv, nobody I know even knows about BB10 and I had to explain it to them when I had my Passport and Z30. When they see a Z10/Z30/PP etc they just assume it is like the 97XX models running BB7
    02-08-16 02:54 AM
    There is a need for grass roots marketing training effort in the phone stores that carry the Priv to improve salesmanship. At T-mobile the other day I was in there for something else and had showed a sales person my Priv. Their display model, just in, did not show off the keyboard or even have a picture of it; it was set on sleep mode and other display phones in the store were lit up. I suggested they market it a little better. He said "nobody buys those." Seriously? I am in sales and that is not how you talk about a product your company just started carrying, especially to a customer who owns the product.
    02-08-16 03:37 AM
    Exactly Nell74,they don't even have any idea of the OS. When I say it is completely other OS so they ask not android not IOS so what is it? I say it's BlackBerry 10 but anyways now it is not even important we have the android device to marketing and push for sales so we help BlackBerry.
    From the priv launch I shared Priv through my friend by social media so they know BlackBerry is a company producing high end phones! They introduced a new one called Priv. With the old bb Z 10 I had a problem with apps I had to contact the dev for updating the app, most times didn't work. It was hard times but let's help all together so Priv will be known or well known among our friends and relatives BlackBerry devices will be around as and among our friends... so now please everyone go and hit the share button to share the first android BlackBerry device the priv out to fb, twitter, Gmail, G plus, linked in,

Posted via CB10
    02-08-16 03:48 AM
    Being from the USA where the Blackberry brand is all but dead and buried, I am considered a dinosaur here because I still use one. iPhones and Galaxies rule where the Blackberry used to be king of the block. It's not just marketing folks, it's about forgetting what your original core customers asked for and now that they have abandoned you, they are still using the same old methods to try and win them back.

Unfortunately here in the USA I have seen nothing from them in the form of any advertising that would reach out to their former clients who have moved on and forgotten them long ago. I went into several T-Mobile stores over the weekend to see if they have done anything to promote the new Priv and guess what!! Every store had the device buried with last years models and the keyboard locked where you can't get the true feel of this device. When I asked the sales folks about it, most of them knew it was there, but knew nothing about what features it offered?

The reality is that most of the sales folks where iPhone and Galaxy users and those are the brands they are familiar with and are going to recommend to their friends and new customers because thats what they use. Blackberry needs to get some folks out in the field to help these folks at the retail end promote the brand again, but based on what I have seen since the z10 launched here, they are going to do NOTHING!!!

I am not spreading negativity because I don't believe in that crap, I am just writing about reality here folks, whether you choose to accept it or not. I for one would be glad to promote the brand here, but I would also like to see some effort from the folks who manufacture the product up there in Waterloo???
    02-08-16 05:59 AM
    One of the big mysteries of the BlackBerry sales model.
    They produce (mostly) great devices.
    Then they don't tell anyone, do almost no marketing nor advertising.
    Despite everybody raising that flag over and over again, at each and every product 'launch', they repeat that 'strategy' as if nothing has happened.
    Then the big katzenjammer begins of why nobody knows there are great BlackBerry products, and not a lot of people buy them.
    The reaction is to fire people, save more money, close shops.
    There seems to be nobody in this company thinking revolutionary things like 'hey, what we have not tried out yet is to run really impressive marketing and advertising campaigns! Shouldn't we give it a try?'

It's really not understandable how this company functions. They continue to ignore the most basic rules of how to successfully bring a new product to the market.
    andy957 and dan99x99 like this.
    02-08-16 06:21 AM
    It's true that the amount of advertising that has been done means that BlackBerry would have been better off not doing any advertising at all. I think Priv was been sold by and large to those of us who make a point of following BlackBerry. BlackBerry hasn't make a mark with the general public.

The thing that probably hurt the most was this staggered rollout. Priv should have been available from all US carriers on the same day. Priv is an old phone now and it is just now available on T-Mobile and not yet available on Verizon.

MWC will probably she'd more light on what we can expect from BlackBerry in the future. I have no idea.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    dan99x99 and kendall8899 like this.
    02-08-16 06:25 AM
    Why in the world didn't they do a killer Super Bowl commercial?

Posted via CB app on my BlackBerry Classic
    02-08-16 06:29 AM

Exactly !!
    02-08-16 06:44 AM
    They did do a Super Bowl commercial once for the Z10/BB10...

02-08-16 07:19 AM

Lol...

I now understand why they offer history in school.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-08-16 07:27 AM
    BlackBerry did do a Superbowl commercial in 2013 but it was wasted money.

The commercial was weird. More importantly, it ran in January and phones weren't available until March. BlackBerry was advertising a product that wouldn't be available for sale for many months.

02-08-16 07:40 AM
    Lol...

I now understand why they offer history in school.

Posted via CB10
    Ain't talking about the dumb commercial for the Z10. Why didn't they do a commercial this time?

02-08-16 08:28 AM
    The strategy is to market the phone to artistic/hipster/wealthy types, to try and justify the extortionate price of the device. BlackBerry are trying to make a huge margin on each Priv sold. I can't see any big company wanting to go anywhere near the Privvy.
    02-08-16 08:33 AM
    Ain't talking about the dumb commercial for the Z10. Why didn't they do a commercial this time?

Because Super Bowl ads are a waste of money?

02-08-16 08:36 AM
    I think the Priv may be the last BlackBerry but only BlackBerry knows that. I'm not sure advertising can help at this point. They wasted so much time heading down a dead-end street... They don't have the time or financial resources now, even though the Priv gets them closer to heading the right direction.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    Last edited by paulbbp; 02-08-16 at 09:29 AM.
    andy957 likes this.
    02-08-16 08:39 AM
    The strategy is to market the phone to artistic/hipster/wealthy types, to try and justify the extortionate price of the device. BlackBerry are trying to make a huge margin on each Priv sold. I can't see any big company wanting to go anywhere near the Privvy.
    The BlackBerry brand is severely diminished. To most humans, BlackBerry is as ancient as Aristotle's grandma. (Hence, my suggestion that next device is named the BlackBerry Fossil..)

"BlackBerry? They still make phones?"
    "Yes, they recently released an Android device."
    "Interesting. Well, I l-o-v-e my Galaxy, HTC, etc."

A hip device is only hip if the hipster feels that his/her surrounding considers it hip.

A BlackBerry device ain't hip to most folks. Not because the PRIV is not cool; but because BlackBerry (the brand) ain't hip.

andy957 likes this.
    02-08-16 08:56 AM
    I think the Priv may be the last BlackBerry but only BlackBerry knows that. I'm not sure advertising can help at this point. They wasted so much time heading down a dead-end street... They don't have the time or financial resources now, even though the Priv got them closer to heading the right direction.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    BB's problem with the Priv is the roll out execution. they really didn't have the resource to execute one massive launch through all carriers and in many countries, thus slowing sales. add to that, the price. they're being very conservative for a reason.
    02-08-16 08:58 AM
    just saw that one of the ads during super bowl sparked some back clash and concerns (quicken loans ad) , this is to show that these things have become so risky it's stupid.
    add to that, BB just laid off 200 people, so imagine the tweets and comments about that while a super bowl ad for the Priv is playing.
    02-08-16 10:45 AM
    So blackberry has a marketing team???

Posted via the CrackBerry App with My beloved BlackBerry Priv
    andy957 likes this.
    02-08-16 10:50 AM
    My girlfriend, mom, sister all have an Android phone now. They had a Z10 but BlackBerry doesnt have a good alternative for now. End of this year i will decide which phone i am gonna buy.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-16 10:57 AM
    BlackBerry did do a Superbowl commercial in 2013 but it was wasted money.

The commercial was weird. More importantly, it ran in January and phones weren't available until March. BlackBerry was advertising a product that wouldn't be available for sale for many months.

Same as getting members(me included) hyped for a new BlackBerry device on the forums for years......and the launch date was months (and months) down the road.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-09-16 02:28 PM
33 12